The grumpy thread

outlaw118

On 11/2/2019 at 3:32 PM, somewhatfoolish said:

They might try to charge you £100 but they cannot fine you as they aren't empowered to do so; only the government and councils can levy fines. Unless EMA is owned by the local council?

Quite often airports have bylaws that give them powers to charge, amongst other things. 

Anyway, my grump - I thought buying cars was meant to be fun? Given the possible movement of the Laguna to a better place, I thought I'd put together a list to follow up on when I got the nod. Easy, right? I quite fancy something Swedish but basic criteria: estate, petrol (non-negotiable for reasons for another grumpy thread post of the future), not shit, at least mildly interesting, seats that don't look like they've done the last 20,000 miles under the arsecrack of an incontinent labrador. 

I have fuck all spare time at the moment so I started off looking within 50 miles, up to £1,500. Haha, nope. More money, somewhere near London given I'm generally there most weeks? Try again. 

The only thing I've found that got me even vaguely excited was a Mk3 Mondeo 2.5 Ghia X - £1,300 seems like strong money for a 17 year old Mondeo, but it did look really, really nice. Nope, gone in 48 hours. Best of the rest is probably a 75 tourer, but I feel like £1k for something with a turbo K-series is not a good idea. Has this place just given me unrealistic expectations on what things cost? 

1 hour ago, angle said:

The only thing I've found that got me even vaguely excited was a Mk3 Mondeo 2.5 Ghia X - £1,300 seems like strong money for a 17 year old Mondeo, but it did look really, really nice. Nope, gone in 48 hours. Best of the rest is probably a 75 tourer, but I feel like £1k for something with a turbo K-series is not a good idea. Has this place just given me unrealistic expectations on what things cost? 

I'd say partly that but also Scumtree & the rest are full of bandit traders who'll buy all kinds of shit then try and reap a 100% profit on them, sometimes without even giving the things a decent wash. The amount of sheer crap you see these people trying to pass off as useable transport is ridiculous.

There is the odd bargain but you've got to be quick.

1 hour ago, angle said:

Has this place just given me unrealistic expectations on what things cost? 

Yes and no. There is an awful lot of crap cars out there. Also just as many crap buyers that put sellers off bothering. 

Big engined and powerful cars at the bottom end of the market are rarer unless German. Because of the German badge, they're priced at a premium. 

Perhaps getting the Laguna fixed doesn't seem as bad after all. ;)

On 10/31/2019 at 2:34 PM, Aston Martin said:

Lincs police asked me to download a 'report of bad driving' or some such.

It's a letter that has to be sent off with a physical copy of the footage. What is this 2002?

I've only just sent this off, I hated to do it. But it's soo fucking dodgy.

Overtaking on a solid white line, forcing our lane to slam on.... Oncoming traffic, which was a car and 2 lorries had to slam on, followed about 150 yards later by a lorry slamming on with his hazard lights flashing as he didn't know what the fuck was happening.

dishonest sellers - specially ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-318d-M-Sport-2012/352835770682

Was all set to go and look at this tomorrow, a replacement for my slightly leggy 320d touring, same car really just lower miles and 3 years newer- on the face of it seems a bargain with new gearbox, dpf cleaned etc - very minor* damage from a car park bump on the door which has apparently given it category N status....

yet, this years MOT says a different story:

Enter latest V5C number11 digits from the vehicle log book

Mileage 138,767 miles

MOT test number 2610 7466 9263

Test location

View test location

Do not drive until repaired (dangerous defects):

• Nearside Front Suspension arm modified so the suspension is likely to foul other components Lower arm damaged (5.3.3 (c) (ii))
  • Nearside Front Brake pad(s) less than 1.5 mm thick Inner (1.1.13 (a) (ii))

Repair immediately (major defects):

• Offside Front Headlamp not working on dipped beam (4.1.1 (a) (ii))
  • Exhaust has a major leak of exhaust gases Front flexi (6.1.2 (a))
  • Nearside Front Shock absorbers has a serious fluid leak (5.3.2 (b))

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):

• Front and rear brake discs rusted and pitted
  • Rear diff wet
  • Cuts in both front tyre wall areas
  • O/s/f anti roll link bar some play

So that's a front arm that's been badly dented and various other discrepancies, that car was NOT written off because of a scuffed door.

On 11/1/2019 at 11:24 PM, Parky said:

Yeah, physically no bother at all, on a bit of a downer as Mrs P is in New Zealand for three weeks so I am dealing with everything on my own.  

Started some therapy tonight as the black dog is hanging about and I would rather try and get to the bottom of the causes rather than munch away on tablets.  Pretty helpful actually so having taken the first step to sort my head out I am actually feeling a bit better already

Glad you are heading in the right direction even if car related things aren't so good.

10 hours ago, jamiechod said:

dishonest sellers - specially ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-318d-M-Sport-2012/352835770682

Was all set to go and look at this tomorrow, a replacement for my slightly leggy 320d touring, same car really just lower miles and 3 years newer- on the face of it seems a bargain with new gearbox, dpf cleaned etc - very minor* damage from a car park bump on the door which has apparently given it category N status....

yet, this years MOT says a different story:

Mileage 138,767 miles

MOT test number 2610 7466 9263

Test location

View test location

Do not drive until repaired (dangerous defects):

• Nearside Front Suspension arm modified so the suspension is likely to foul other components Lower arm damaged (5.3.3 (c) (ii))
  • Nearside Front Brake pad(s) less than 1.5 mm thick Inner (1.1.13 (a) (ii))

Repair immediately (major defects):

• Offside Front Headlamp not working on dipped beam (4.1.1 (a) (ii))
  • Exhaust has a major leak of exhaust gases Front flexi (6.1.2 (a))
  • Nearside Front Shock absorbers has a serious fluid leak (5.3.2 (b))

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):

• Front and rear brake discs rusted and pitted
  • Rear diff wet
  • Cuts in both front tyre wall areas
  • O/s/f anti roll link bar some play

So that's a front arm that's been badly dented and various other discrepancies, that car was NOT written off because of a scuffed door.

No* car has ever been written off for “a scuffed xxxxx”. Ever.   Anyone saying so is 99.9999% lying. 

*unless it’s worth about £500.  

not sure why you bothered arguing with them - you seem to buy and sell cars often enough to know exactly how the game works....

Had a letter from HMRC, they owe me a tax refund.

If I log in, it will be paid into my bank account within three days, otherwise a cheque in two months.

Can't log in. Had problems with it early in the year and they buggered about for a few weeks than forgot about it.

Can't log in to a government website - crap :(

Also no online council tax service here - crap.

Can't log in to doctor's/NHS sites - more crap.

4 hours ago, Kiltox said:

No* car has ever been written off for “a scuffed xxxxx”. Ever.   Anyone saying so is 99.9999% lying. 

*unless it’s worth about £500.  

not sure why you bothered arguing with them - you seem to buy and sell cars often enough to know exactly how the game works....

Sorry, no need to be a cunt about it, if you'd be happy taking your family in a car that's clearly been involved in a pretty serious smash without being disclosed, good for you. Seems like you know it all aswell, seller obviously thinking no one will look further into the fact it has a few grazes on the door when in fact it's had a serious smash involving a front arm that's been heavily modified from standard which clearly was part of the accident. what's with the snide comments about buying and selling, seems like you do aswell, is there a problem? 

3 minutes ago, jamiechod said:

Sorry, no need to be a cunt about it, if you'd be happy taking your family in a car that's clearly been involved in a pretty serious smash without being disclosed, good for you. Seems like you know it all aswell. 

? - it’s a write off, it’s a given that it’s been in a pretty decent shunt else it would’ve been repaired.  Every car advert for a write off (apart from by salvage dealers) contains “just had  a scratch, no serious damage” - it is the equivalent of “one lady owner, never raced or rallied” on a hot hatch! 

Not sure what you thought you’d achieve by giving the seller a load of verbal apart from painting yourself out to be the typical eBay time waster that everyone loves to moan about (including yourself, moaning on this very thread about people not buying your cars...)

As for the “somebody think of the children” bullshit - what if it was unrecorded or wasn’t presented for an MOT with suspension damage? You’d never know.  Nearly new cars are bent every day in the hands of hire companies and are sold on damaged and unrecorded. 

The giys obviously got a chip on his shoulder for some reason and clearly took a dislike to me long before this, I've seen the bullshit posts before about a car I was selling with a private plate, more snide comments. I commented on his vectra posts the other day n got ignored where as everyone else got s reply. Don't know why or don't really care as to why, I've dealt with 3 people on here now, every one of whom I'm sure will vouch on how happy they've been and can see I'm a decent chap... but if you dislike someone that much there is a 'foe' button so you don't see someone's posts ??

2 minutes ago, jamiechod said:

The giys obviously got a chip on his shoulder for some reason and clearly took a dislike to me long before this, I've seen the bullshit posts before about a car I was selling with a private plate, more snide comments. I commented on his vectra posts the other day n got ignored where as everyone else got s reply. Don't know why or don't really care as to why, I've dealt with 3 people on here now, every one of whom I'm sure will vouch on how happy they've been and can see I'm a decent chap... but if you dislike someone that much there is a 'foe' button so you don't see someone's posts ??

Wow, paranoid much? ? 

Assume the private plate thing was a “private plate worth £xxx” in an advert which is about as common a load of shite as “Cat D but just had a light scratch” ?

On 1 November 2019 at 9:22 AM, dozeydustman said:

Manchester Airport is a wanker.

Stupid fee for dropping someone off.

Stupid fee for picking someone up.

Little signage telling you where to go and what signs there are conflict with What the website tells you (which is also shit).

What should have been a simple exercise in picking my wife up yesterday after returning from an unplanned flight back home turned into half an hour of farce.

It’s the only bit of Manchester I’ve not liked.

As a taxi driver (well, private hire driver) I agree. Manchester Airport is horrible. It is all about charging you money and crap signage. £3 drop off fee? Great when stuck in the queue when the barrier doesn't work. Then more money. Cones everywhere and rubbish directions. Just more money please. Need a wee? Forget it. Drive on or pay yer money. 

1 minute ago, wuvvum said:

Apart from being a capitalist bastard property baron, Kiltox has always seemed like a decent enough bloke to me.

I've stated the reasons for which I have called him out on his behaviour, I'm not doing it for the sake of it, this proves my case in point your pissing in the wind arguing with long standing members your point becomes moot. 

On 11/1/2019 at 10:21 AM, Kiltox said:

I have no idea how airports are getting away with this bull shit - it’s a complete racket. 

Liverpool has a camera van dishing out £100 fines if you stop on the approach road , it's £3  at the quick drop but the do have a free drop off which is only a 5 minute walk but nobody uses it 

Just now, Wack said:

Liverpool has a camera van dishing out £100 fines if you stop on the approach road , it's £3  at the quick drop but the do have a free drop off which is only a 5 minute walk but nobody uses it 

I guess fines for ignoring the rules and stopping wherever you see fit is fair game but when you hear of them fining people who stop at a petrol station and stuff like that it gets a bit ridiculous. Interesting that nobody uses the free option mind!

47 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Apart from being a capitalist bastard property baron, Kiltox has always seemed like a decent enough bloke to me.

He seems* less of a twat than me or billy, who is a proper mean son of a bitch. 

In the summer I was called up for Jury service in September, on the first day of waiting it was clear things were not as normal, it quickly went from being the usual few days to a couple of weeks to a big case which was likely to run until the end of January, it was made very clear that trying to be excused because you've got to work was not an option, me and 11 others were duly picked and we've spent the last 6 weeks hearing the prosecutor set out the case and heard from at least 10 witnesses, the case was against 5 individuals so there were at least 10 defence barristers, we were also made aware that this was a retrial. A week or so ago we were told we weren't needed for a few days while an issue needed to be looked into, we were then told yesterday that we needed at 2pm, we duly all filed in to be told the case was being abondoned for some obscure reason that couldn't be properly explained, so these 5 individuals will walk and chances are the case will never be heard again. So back to work today and back in the deep end.. daren't think of how much taxpayers money has been wasted... On the upside, got an interview for a new job..

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk