The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Have spent some time in the wifewagon for the first time. Return trip to deepest darkest South hams lanes Devon. 

Fuck me it's uncomfortable. Imagine a church pew attached to a lot of blamange. 

The only saving grace is it is pretty much because I'm not fat enough. The seats too wide to hold me so I slide left and right. On every undulations. Braking sends me sliding off the plank inspired seat into the footwell unless I grab on. 

I'm knackered and my bum hurts. 

21 hours ago, Crackers said:

Ooh, an attention-grabbing headline indeed in the local news.

This sounds interesting, I wonder which area it is?

Oh. Oh dear.

That's not gone well.

...but wait, it gets even better!*

Yeah, guess which bit of Surrey I live in.

And people ask me why I'm grumpy bastard...

article quoted from here

Me too. Live in Bagshot and work in Chobham. I bet it’s house prices and crime doing people down.

although I can’t complain too much ...

1B1409B9-2C65-4351-8E8C-727EE0FEC6F6.jpeg

44 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

Me too. Live in Bagshot and work in Chobham. I bet it’s house prices and crime doing people down.

although I can’t complain too much ...

1B1409B9-2C65-4351-8E8C-727EE0FEC6F6.jpeg

The proximity to both Farnborough and Aldershite probably doesn't help people's moods either! ?

Trying and failing to work out where that pic was taken from? 

In car speak, when did the term "delete" become a thing? "badge delete", fuck off, badges removed. 

Another one, people saying "swap/swapped out", American pish. 

They can keep their bastardised language and the rest of their sick culture over there, the cunts. Apart from McDonalds, it's allowed.

IMG_20191030_135721.thumb.jpg.ce15c159db924f239287cb87eec82cb7.jpg

Yey random flat tyre with nothing poking out to denote any issues... Almost tempted to pump it up and see but the tyres so cheap anyway, and there's no other reason for it to go fully flat... 

The ancient cracked to fuck and quite soft spare is now on, which causes me much anxiety... 

IMG_20191030_135726.thumb.jpg.7e54d389134bb8fc84eb8a441caf17b3.jpg

Let's see if I've got enough on the credit card for a new tyre! 

Not my local one, theyll sell me a £60 budget though...

1 new rovelo ordered for fitting friday morning. It's the ultimate bastard really... I can't see anything visible on the tyre, but it has gone from fine to utterly flat in 5 hours. I could pump it up and see etc tonight but then id be into next week for a new cheap tyre... for £35 it didn't really seem worth the agro when I can rock up with the wheel in the boot and be in and out in 5 minutes, then bring tools to swap the wheels around at lunchtime.

Just need to see if the spare will hold out! Tempted to try pumping it up at home just in case but equally if I get home, I might get to work and back tomorrow! then friday morning it gets changed

Must do the spare one day too...

13 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

Not my local one, theyll sell me a £60 budget though...

1 new rovelo ordered for fitting friday morning. It's the ultimate bastard really... I can't see anything visible on the tyre, but it has gone from fine to utterly flat in 5 hours. I could pump it up and see etc tonight but then id be into next week for a new cheap tyre... for £35 it didn't really seem worth the agro when I can rock up with the wheel in the boot and be in and out in 5 minutes, then bring tools to swap the wheels around at lunchtime.

Just need to see if the spare will hold out! Tempted to try pumping it up at home just in case but equally if I get home, I might get to work and back tomorrow! then friday morning it gets changed

Must do the spare one day too...

If there's no obvious damage could it be a faulty valve? If you're chucking a new tyre on anyway it might be wise to change the valve too.

New valve included in the price. 

What I am tempted to do is change the ancient spare, then pump up the flat tyre... But if it is fucked I've got no spare at all... But I could just wait for a payment for something and get a 5th tyre I suppose... 

Trying to balance finding out wtf has happened with just throwing £35 at it so it goes away! If it was £90 for a tyre I'd be looking else where mind

1. Fill bathtub or similar large vessel with water

2. Pump the sucker up

3. insert in said water to see where it releases bubbles

Three possibilities: rim rusted so the glue didn't stick (re-glue it and it will do the same in a couple of month if used daily, or a couple of days if you don't use the car), a borked valve or a nail/crack. If it's a nail can't you source a kit like this for repair? Over here something similar starts at the equivalent of 3 quids.

I wish I had a puncture, instead I appear to have a faulty tyre pressure sensor on the Chrysler. Yes, that thing, that is there to let you know a tyre is going flat, is leaking and making the tyre go flat.

I think I have found someone local who can change it tomorrow and hopefully get the new one to talk to the car.

1 hour ago, beko1987 said:

New valve included in the price. 

What I am tempted to do is change the ancient spare, then pump up the flat tyre... But if it is fucked I've got no spare at all... But I could just wait for a payment for something and get a 5th tyre I suppose... 

Trying to balance finding out wtf has happened with just throwing £35 at it so it goes away! If it was £90 for a tyre I'd be looking else where mind

Just get a squeezy bottle, stick a little washing up liquid in and fill it with water then dribble it over the tread when you’ve got the wheel off.

Any leaks will show up quickly enough with lots of little bubbles.

Then, lay the wheel down flat and fill the edge of the rim where the tyre sits with the soapy water...once again, any leaks will show themselves easily enough.

Speaking of punctures,

I joined the motorway this morning, in front of me was a Clio dawdling along. We got onto the motorway and the Clio didn’t even attempt to speed up to anywhere near motorway speeds and it seemed to be erratically swerving side to side...

I had a trailer on so I was stuck to Max 60mph but I pulled out to overtake. On doing so it was clear wtf was going on. The stupid prick in the Clio was driving around on an almost completely flat front tyre! Even worse he continued to drive it on the motorway for some miles before turning off!

Some people are just utterly thick. He must have known something was wrong but carried on regardless, worse, he did on a motorway!

4 minutes ago, Aston Martin said:

I'm a delightful guy... And I don't want people to lose their job but...

Company and Lincs police tagged on Twitter. We'll see what happens.

Nope. That fecker shouldn’t be on the road...better him being on the dole than some poor innocent ending up dead.

Idiot sister has taken her nissan joke to see her horse. There is now field / horse shit mixture up to the roof. IS deduces this is because no mud flaps, and not remotely connected to her hooning it round a wet field. Commands are issued that shit covered car is left at her house, so I can pop to halfords and buy / fit mudflaps.

Er, no.

Halfords don't sell mudflaps that will fit / not look shit.

Your idea that they "just click on" to fit is woefully wrong.

I do have a day job. It isn't being your personal joke fettler.

It's covered in shit.

I think my mind is just ultra paranoid about tyres and wheels after The Incident. Drive home was fine. Granted I drove very fucking cautiously but it was fine, and parked on the level road (I didn't park in my spot on a sloping gravel bit just incase) it's not as flat as it did look. I'm just going to leave it be for tomorrow

Plan Friday is for them to swap the tyre from the spare (assuming it's not too crusty) and maybe experiment with the flat tyre over the weekend. Then when the next vacuum payment lands, get a tyre fitted to the spare too, treat myself! 

Might pump the flat up in a bit and see what it does overnight, my stepdad lent me his pump just incase

I don't know if I should be grumpy or not.  

I drove to Warrington to an interview with 2 blokes who work for Sellafield Ltd. 

It was clear that despite 30 years as a Chartered Manufacturing Engineer, I'm not up to date on a very very specific material and how to fabricate parts from it. 

They have been looking for too long for the holy grail of an engineer who knows exactly what they know and is available and willing to spend days and weeks travelling 100s of miles to work with suppliers. 

At least they told me there and then although a telephone interview would have got me the same result without 4 wasted hours and 130 miles. 

3 minutes ago, New POD said:

I drove to Warrington to an interview with 2 blokes who work for Sellafield Ltd. 

It was clear that despite 30 years as a Chartered Manufacturing Engineer, I'm not up to date on a very very specific material and how to fabricate parts from it. 

They have been looking for too long for the holy grail of an engineer who knows exactly what they know and is available and willing to spend days and weeks travelling 100s of miles to work with suppliers. 

At least they told me there and then although a telephone interview would have got me the same result without 4 wasted hours and 130 miles. 

look on the bright side , you got a nice tea and film the night before :-)

Borrowed my stepdads bicycle pump tonight, it's seen the valve of many of my tyres in its time, and got to work

IMG_20191030_194514.thumb.jpg.3e0a8ad78db581f5bb7295d6fce85d9e.jpg

Put about 27psi in it. I just don't fucking trust it to take the full whack it needs, it's less flat now. I then looked a bit closer at the tyre... 

IMG_20191030_194657.thumb.jpg.4a4655a37cbd0e9ddbf459fdc3d5ba6a.jpg

Its a remould! Frigging yey! Sidewalls cracked to fuck. 

I then remembered I had a 12v pump so fetched it out and fed the flat tyre some ait. It popped back into shape but didn't go fully inflated... I then soaked it in G101 to find any bubbles (too dark for a tub of water now) and none became apparent

IMG_20191030_200124.thumb.jpg.cc8fe219fbe3e04bdf2fb260a99379f2.jpg

I did think about taking it to the petrol station and putting the big machine on it incase the beads fallen off, but ive done my finances tonight for pay day and I've got more than I thought paid off my PayPal credit account so I think my head will win, and if the same fitting slot is available on Friday I'll order another fucking tyre and get the spare replaced too

I don't mind having to swap a flat out, 5 minute job. But fuck being far away and relying on a cracked retread! Tomorrow's going to be bad enough as it is! 

5 hours ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

Dryer turbine is actually the wrong one. Too large.  Fucksticks on tuna sandwiches. 

Don't order bits from eBay lesson learned.  Ordered a genuine one which worked out cheaper from the bloody supplier.  Double chocolate fuck sticks. 

Shouldn't laugh at a shiter's misfortune, but "Fucksticks on tuna sandwiches" put me in a giggle loop for a moment...

Last week I failed a van on a bald tyre, a track rod end and a tyre valve with a large split in it. The van is from another unit in the yard and every day they pump the tyre up where the valve is split. Yesterday the owner came round to discuss the mot failure . Told him the valve is dangerous and with the tyre going down all the time  Th that too should be replaced. Came in for a retest late yesterday with two second hand tyres a new track rod end but no new valve.The customer wasn't happy (me neither) he'd told this second hand tyre place to replace the valve. Apparently as it wasn't leaking they didn't replace it. FFS. Leaking or not it is an MoT failure and the customer showed the tyre fitter the failure certificate too.

15 hours ago, New POD said:

Admittedly my work is nothing to do with the very rigorous nuclear industry but how long would it take an experienced engineer to get familiar with that material and fabrication process?  I would rather get someone willing to learn up to speed than do rounds of interviews looking for the holy grail candidate.  And often the really specialized experts can be right prima donnas making life hard for everyone.  

15 hours ago, Rovorsche said:

Ring them up and ask how you claim your interview expenses ?
Anally retentive businesses sometimes still pay them, just name drop the interviewers saying they agreed to this during the interview......

Fuck! Is this a thing????

I wish I knew this in 2017, when I took a plane and hired a car for two days just to be rejected by JLR.

15 hours ago, New POD said:

My condolences on your having to visit Warrington