The grumpy thread

outlaw118

strange behaviour from the radio in the civic yesterday - I was enjoying a relaxed drive back form Edinburgh, chilling out with 'the orbs adventures beyond the ultraworld' playing on the stereo - as I was passing Berwick, the radio went crackers and started turning itself off and on again every ten seconds. I turned the volume down and ignored the display flashing on and off, ten minutes later it was back to normal and played fine for the remainder of the journey. 
any thoughts on what that was all about ?
Is there any time missing? Do you feel probed? If so I blame aliens..

1 hour ago, Lord Sterling said:

No. The visa hasn't actually been submitted yet. I am due to submit it in the next few days after my solicitor has verified that it has all the evidence required. I have all the evidence up to date etc.... but I need to send it before November gets on as I may not have another pay check for then.

Ah, OK so. That makes things a bit clearer. I had to assist a couple of clients with something similar recently; one was granted entry clearance, whilst the other was permitted to switch status.

19 hours ago, Cavcraft said:

I know, I'll go to my garage to get some info off a bike that's someone's asked me about. But I won't will I AND why not, I hear none of you ask?

BECAUSE THE COUNCIL HAVE PUT ANOTHER FUCKING LOCK ON IT. FFS!

Get practising so there's no visible damage

19 hours ago, Tim_E said:

We have rodents in the attic. 

Is that all? I have a dragon in the living room, it's not a problem though as the bear and the shark keep him in order.

I'm really not sure about that last batch of anti-depressants.

2 hours ago, MrDuke said:

Why do 'modern' keep-fit windows have such low gearing? I could drop a front window in the Dolomite with 1.5 turns - when I pull up to a ticket machine in the C*rsa, I'm pumping away furiously as the glass slides down slower than a stoned snail.

I wonder if the ones in the Dolomite and other old cars were designed to be manual from the beginning but the ones in the Corsa are electric ones that have been made poverty spec by making them hand wound. Just a theory though.

Came home from work today and there is a scabby Focus right across my drive. Well as there is no drop kerb it's not technically a drive but quite clearly being used as one. I have parked across the road so there was plenty of room to park without causing an obstruction. Got my rope from the car and by the time I'd found a towing eye a van had parked further up but infront of where I was going to drag this heap to. The thing is if they had parked opposite there would not be a problem. If they parked where I have now parked there wouldn't have been a problem. If they had parked where the van is now parked there wouldn't have been a problem. What a selfish prick.

Assume everybody is an arsehole until they prove otherwise.

37 minutes ago, meggersdog said:

Came home from work today and there is a scabby Focus right across my drive. Well as there is no drop kerb it's not technically a drive but quite clearly being used as one. I have parked across the road so there was plenty of room to park without causing an obstruction. Got my rope from the car and by the time I'd found a towing eye a van had parked further up but infront of where I was going to drag this heap to. The thing is if they had parked opposite there would not be a problem. If they parked where I have now parked there wouldn't have been a problem. If they had parked where the van is now parked there wouldn't have been a problem. What a selfish prick.

Assume everybody is an arsehole until they prove otherwise.

Why not just fit a drop kerb, as you should? It doesn't excuse the Focus' drivers manners but he was entitled to park there.

9 hours ago, Mally said:

Van derived cars, limits are exactly the same as a normal car.

But be sure that your van is derived from a car.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/car-derived-vans-and-dual-purpose-vehicles/car-derived-vans-and-dual-purpose-vehicles

'From the DVLA page 'those that do are likely to be similar to a Ford Fiesta van, Vauxhall Corsa or Renault Clio van'. So a Car Derived Van is a van derived from a car platform, and uses car limits, (there are strict definition but in general a car platform with panelled. Van derived cars use the limits for vans, even when they have seats. So your Berlingo or VW transporter for example, have to (in theory) stick to 60 on a dual carriageway.

1 hour ago, 320touring said:

What about a Berlingo or kangoo ?

They are or were both available as cars - rear side windows/rear seats etc.

They were originally designed as vans, then later on sold as cars. As van-derived cars, they have to adhere to van limits on NSL roads (50mph single-lane, 60mph dual). It's a properly stupid law, and the guy who did my speed awareness course admitted as much, but there you go.

On 10/24/2019 at 6:47 PM, Tadhg Tiogar said:

The 7300 extra points that were suddenly added to my Nectar card last week have vanished as Nectar seems to have realised its mistake. 

Easy come,  easy go....

I can’t remember the name of  the film, but I think had michael Crawford as a superhero, and Roy kinnear. Who at one point I am sure watches a Bentley disappear off the end of a dock into the sea and says “ easy come, easy go”.

weird memory I have!

12 hours ago, Tim_E said:

To be honest the only difference is 60 limit on a dual carriageway, but most people don't realise it. Not sure how much it's enforced. See goods vehicle not more than 7.5 t MLW https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits

10 hours ago, Mally said:

Van derived cars, limits are exactly the same as a normal car.

But be sure that your van is derived from a car.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/car-derived-vans-and-dual-purpose-vehicles/car-derived-vans-and-dual-purpose-vehicles

59 minutes ago, Tim_E said:

'From the DVLA page 'those that do are likely to be similar to a Ford Fiesta van, Vauxhall Corsa or Renault Clio van'. So a Car Derived Van is a van derived from a car platform, and uses car limits, (there are strict definition but in general a car platform with panelled. Van derived cars use the limits for vans, even when they have seats. So your Berlingo or VW transporter for example, have to (in theory) stick to 60 on a dual carriageway.

30 minutes ago, MrDuke said:

They were originally designed as vans, then later on sold as cars. As van-derived cars, they have to adhere to van limits on NSL roads (50mph single-lane, 60mph dual). It's a properly stupid law, and the guy who did my speed awareness course admitted as much, but there you go.

I know the speed limits for vans but it's the first time I've heard of the limits being applied to van-derived cars. I think the speed awareness people are wrong on that one.

There's no actual definition for a car-derived van, hence the DVLA's description being wooly even by their standards. It's based on what the person who registered the vehicle put on the form. You could have two people driving in convoy in identical vans and only one of them would get a ticket. The limits on DVLA page can't be relied on, it's been wrong before and it's not quite correct now.

I've never managed to get a straight answer on whether speed cameras can differentiate between classes of vehicle. The only ways they could do it is by sending an enquiry for every vehicle travelling faster than the lowest speed limit on the road or by having somebody assigned to monitor each camera, both of which seem unlikely. I've never heard of speed cameras catching anybody on a lower limit but I don't want to be the one they make an example of.

5 hours ago, MrDuke said:

Why do 'modern' keep-fit windows have such low gearing? I could drop a front window in the Dolomite with 1.5 turns - when I pull up to a ticket machine in the C*rsa, I'm pumping away furiously as the glass slides down slower than a stoned snail.

Mk1 Astra/Mk2 Cavalier windows were like that. They were really heavy to wind too, the rubber knobs were always coming off them. That was one of the factors that contributed to the Mk1 Astra being the second most disappointing car I've ever driven.

Yeah, most of the work vans I've driven will register 'full' (on the max line) if you stop filling when the pump first cuts out. If you keep on pumping with a semi-depressed trigger and/or partially withdrawn nozzle, the needle will end up off the gauge, as above.

To answer the obvious questions: I've only noticed it in work vans, because they're the only vehicles I've ever brimmed with fuel, because I'm not paying for it. And I only went to the trouble of squeezing every last drop of diesel into the tank because Star/Nectar points.

3 hours ago, Richard said:

I know the speed limits for vans but it's the first time I've heard of the limits being applied to van-derived cars. I think the speed awareness people are wrong on that one.

There's no actual definition for a car-derived van, hence the DVLA's description being wooly even by thlleir standards. It's based on what the person who registered the vehicle put on the form. You could have two people driving in convoy in identical vans and only one of them would get a ticket. The limits on DVLA page can't be relied on, it's been wrong before and it's not quite ic.correct now.

I've never managed to get a straight answer on whether speed cameras can differentiate between classes of vehicle. The only ways they could do it is by sending an enquiry for every vehicle travelling faster than the lowest speed limit on the road or by having somebody assigned to monitor each camera, both of which seem unlikely. I've never heard of speed cameras catching anybody on a lower limit but I don't want to be the one they make an example of.

I'm fairly sure that only a grumpy cop and a miserable magistrate, or procurator fiscal or whatever the Scots have to deal with, would punish  a berlingo for doing 78 in flowing dual carriageway traffic.

The point is that you are informed of the law innit