The grumpy thread

outlaw118

I was given my first washing machine by my aunt when I had my first house, it was already many years old and lasted me about ten years. (It lasted longer than the new replacement) It had only been replaced because my aunt was in hospital and my uncle tried to do the washing. He thought the machine was broken, so bought a replacement. There was nothing wrong with the old one, it was just that you had to pull the control dial to switch it on and he hadn't.

One of the jobs I farmed out recently was fitting bushes to my alternator mounting bracket.

I said 'if its a quick 10 minute job can you do it, otherwise I'll do it myself' - it was in anyway for brake caliper refurbishment.

They charged my over £150 just for doing the alternator bracket job saying that they have manufactured new bushes but as far as I can tell the have just spaced it with a few washers. 

Have I been fleeced? Should I go back and complain, or am I missing something?

2 hours ago, Tim_E said:

.....They charged me over £150 just for doing the alternator bracket job saying that they have manufactured new bushes but as far as I can tell the have just spaced it with a few washers. 

Have I been fleeced? Should I go back and complain, or am I missing something?

In answer to your last paragraph:

1. Is the Pope a Catholic?

2. Yes.

3. No.

7 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

I wonder if that was a muntjac deer you collided with. Happened to me years ago when I hit one at no more than 15mph in Bricket Wood. It took out one of my front fogs and still managed to get up and walk off before I'd opened the driver's door. 

Not surprised, they're solid little fuckers, came across one sitting stunned in the middle of the road one night. Couple of cars stopped and a woman was going to call the Police to get it taken to a vet !? Anyway I picked it up and sat it it on the verge, it weighed a lot more than I was expecting, must have been 15/17 kgs, once on the verge it stood up shook it's head and dissapeared into the hedge..

Free washing machines are the best washing machines.  My first machine was a 1970s twin tub that was at least 30 years old when I was given it, fantastic machine that cleaned clothes better than any other machine I've used, and damaged far less than most of the front-loaders I've used over the years.  It was a bit of a faff to transfer stuff from the wet to the dry side, and it had a little leak from a pipe underneath somewhere, but I could forgive it that for the great job it did.  The other free machine we still use which is an old Indesit Moon that we got from the scrapman in exchange for the remains of a Princess.  Apparently the Moon was broken, which is why it was on the scrap van, but it's never let us down for quite a few years now, the only thing it's needed is a new door seal and a bit of a rust bleb painting.  Really, simple is best.

Quote wuvvum "I find people quite often get rid of perfectly decent washing machines when they're having a new kitchen fitted, or moving to a new house which has an integrated machine.  They're not all fucked." 

I've picked up a couple recently, set it up in the back of my truck, scrub out the soap tray, as usually stinking, do a load of filthy washing where I've been rolling in oil n muck etc etc, check it all works good, whilst washing the truck, if all good put a double dose of limescale cleaner through it, then advertise on free media type sites. If its not working, leaking, banging, it's already in the truck for the short trip to the scrappy with any other shite I've acquired IMG-20190910-WA0000.thumb.jpeg.d93d1ce7c7983ce962668382fb4ef024.jpeg

Mobile laundrette ?

1 hour ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

Not surprised, they're solid little fuckers, came across one sitting stunned in the middle of the road one night. Couple of cars stopped and a woman was going to call the Police to get it taken to a vet !? Anyway I picked it up and sat it it on the verge, it weighed a lot more than I was expecting, must have been 15/17 kgs, once on the verge it stood up shook it's head and dissapeared into the hedge..

They're definitely solid! I can't quite get it across in a photo, but this one has utterly ruined the bonnet and wing on that side. I'm absolutely amazed there's no proper damage beyond the lights/grille and everything being a bit on the wonk now. It was quite the thud when I hit it, far more solid than the pigeon that kamikazed into the front of the last Volvo going 90...

20191021_155004.thumb.jpg.8f465787b6a51573c1e5bfc0d27a2fe1.jpg

It wasn't even that big, I'm retrospectively very nervous about the several big deer I saw loitering at the side of the A9 a couple of years ago.

My drive home goes through a massive deer bit, I get quite paranoid going through that bit in the dark. Oh look, winters here, 5 month of doing it in the dark... 

I hit one in my 206 and it destroyed the bumper. Although luckily* I'd destroyed it 2 weeks before on a crash barrier so all it did was smash all the cable ties to bits. 20 minutes on the side of the road and another 27 cable ties and I drove home. Was a muntjack though which helped

Guys working on fixing my Mini were initially optimistic it was saveable but as they stripped it back they found more stuff that needed doing and now they don’t think it can be done.

Engineer is assessing it today but it looks like my little hero who took the hit for me is going to the big Copart yard in the sky.  Am actually gutted about that.  

Now the big rows with insurance valuations to follow.  Rather hoping that as the car was three months old and cost nearly 20 grand that they won’t offer me Seven or anything daft like that 

26 minutes ago, Parky said:

Guys working on fixing my Mini were initially optimistic it was saveable but as they stripped it back they found more stuff that needed doing and now they don’t think it can be done.

Engineer is assessing it today but it looks like my little hero who took the hit for me is going to the big Copart yard in the sky.  Am actually gutted about that.  

Now the big rows with insurance valuations to follow.  Rather hoping that as the car was three months old and cost nearly 20 grand that they won’t offer me Seven or anything daft like that 

I would check your policy terms and conditions,but if the car is that new they should replace like for like,i.e. another new Mini.

They're definitely solid! I can't quite get it across in a photo, but this one has utterly ruined the bonnet and wing on that side. I'm absolutely amazed there's no proper damage beyond the lights/grille and everything being a bit on the wonk now. It was quite the thud when I hit it, far more solid than the pigeon that kamikazed into the front of the last Volvo going 90...
20191021_155004.thumb.jpg.8f465787b6a51573c1e5bfc0d27a2fe1.jpg
It wasn't even that big, I'm retrospectively very nervous about the several big deer I saw loitering at the side of the A9 a couple of years ago.
I used to worry about them but they have a bit of road sense. Still, I slow down.
One foggy night on the A9 at or near Drumochter I saw a car drive over a large deer carcass at 70MPH and keep going.

6 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Hitting a Muntjac deer is like hitting a pig. They are as chunky as they look. 

Non-native species, because some eejit at Woburn Abbey thought they would look well on the Estate. As non-native species tend to do, some of them escaped and bred quite furiously to the extent that they are now all over the South East and have been going north for quite a while.

It's a bit like what Thomas Austin did to Australia in the Victorian era. As there were no rabbits there, and he wanted to have some bunnies to take pot shots at, he got some sent over - various types. They promptly bred like, er, rabbits, escaped and that is why Australia has had a bunny problem for decades. They have no natural predators. Even myxomatosis failed to eliminate them.

34 minutes ago, barefoot said:

I hit only a pheasant in an old Beetle once. I got home & the dent in the bonnet looked like someone had swung a frozen chicken around their head before welting the fuck out of the VW with it!

I hit a pheasant at 50 on a Honda Lead scooter once.  It did make a bit of a thud.

58 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

t's a bit like what Thomas Austin did to Australia in the Victorian era. As there were no rabbits there, and he wanted to have some bunnies to take pot shots at, he got some sent over - various types. They promptly bred like, er, rabbits, escaped and that is why Australia has had a bunny problem for decades. They have no natural predators. Even myxomatosis failed to eliminate them.

They did the same with Foxes too, the bastards.

2 hours ago, Mally said:

I once hit a Cow on a 250 BSA.

They are solid them Cows.

I may have told this story before, but my wife's grandfather, along with his mate, used to be good friends with George Brough and used  to test ride the newly built bikes straight out of the factory. It all came to an abrupt end when Ernest's parents forbade him to do the job any more after his mate was killed after he, 'became fast in a cow'!

1 hour ago, MorrisItalSLX said:

They did the same with Foxes too, the bastards.

And Cane toads, which were introduced to control cane beetles, but then because the toads have no natural predators, they now have a problem with the toads.  I see a pattern forming.

Colin

14 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Then there were the various Acclimatisation Societies dedicated to bring loads of non-native plants to Australia. That went well.

Lantana, Privet and Blackberry come to mind.

I think it is safe to say the European settlers in Australia really cocked things up.

On 10/21/2019 at 3:22 PM, Tadhg Tiogar said:

I wonder if that was a muntjac deer you collided with. Happened to me years ago when I hit one at no more than 15mph in Bricket Wood. It took out one of my front fogs and still managed to get up and walk off before I'd opened the driver's door. 

My son made Muntjacc paste of a few last year. No damage to the plasticy bumpered C5.

16 hours ago, vulgalour said:

Free washing machines are the best washing machines.  My first machine was a 1970s twin tub that was at least 30 years old when I was given it, fantastic machine that cleaned clothes better than any other machine I've used, and damaged far less than most of the front-loaders I've used over the years.  It was a bit of a faff to transfer stuff from the wet to the dry side, and it had a little leak from a pipe underneath somewhere, but I could forgive it that for the great job it did.  The other free machine we still use which is an old Indesit Moon that we got from the scrapman in exchange for the remains of a Princess.  Apparently the Moon was broken, which is why it was on the scrap van, but it's never let us down for quite a few years now, the only thing it's needed is a new door seal and a bit of a rust bleb painting.  Really, simple is best.

Youngest daughter bought one on Gumtree a year and a half ago, £70.

Works perfectly.