The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Fucking bastarding appliances. 

Washing machine died halfway through a load. Have you ever tried to wring the water out of 3 dressing gowns?! 

It was a second hand one we got 4 months ago for 40 quid so shouldn't complain. 

Just bad fucking timing as usual. 

I'm not sure what is exactly wrong but it just stopped. The panel at the front smells of burning. But the motor doesn't. Makes a click as if to start, but nothing happens. Motor and belt turn freely by hand. 

I fixed the Mrs old hotpoint that was acting up because of a blown cap on the power board. About 50p to fix it.

I subsequently had the same fault on mine and my sisters too.

Have a look at the back (or elsewhere where the power comes in to the first board. Look for a bulging capacitor and swap it out.

Still in agony stupid back, full of every form of pain killer and still struggling to move/see/type.

IT contractor so will be going to work tomorrow, somehow and probably in a car ffs.

Oh and knobhead from cycle shop charged me £45 for a rear tyre because it kept popping out of the new rim he fitted. And he lost my lock so brought a new one that I thought he was going to try and charge for. Jesus it would’ve been cheaper to buy a new bike. I’ve so far spent £267 on a £350 bike. I’ll wager it’s made him a few quid. Then I went and bought another in the interim as enjoyed a ride on a road bike.

Back now ruined, ferry booked (Mrs B as she has to fucking go at the end of next week) for a weeks time to take kitchen and aga over to France, god knows how I am going to unload that lot given my back is now made of glass.

Grumble moan etc.

Went to the Co-op to buy stuff, Jumbones, milk and stuff. Somehow managed to spend £58.40 which is enough to make me grumpy but it all went through the till and then the card reader went up in smoke! Literally...

Was advised to go to the cashpoint and get out cash to pay so did, got back to the checkout and it's all being put through again on another till, no one can understand why Cheryl advised me to get cash and she has now vanished! I paid in cash and now have spare money of the folding kind in my wallet. I never have money in my wallet, it makes my bum hot!

A grump that turned into  a smile

With it being MrsV8's FiL V8 and Junior V4's birthday in 10 days we all went out for Sunday lunch today.We went to a pub that we have been to many times.

£59 for my 4 inc drinks and £26 for MiL and FiL.

4kin awful pre-plated microwaved Sunday lunch,that had zero taste.

A complaint from MrsV8 and GrandmaV8 resulted in a full refund including our drinks.

Just had a Chinese £35 less and spot on. 

2 hours ago, bangernomics said:

Back now ruined, ferry booked (Mrs B as she has to fucking go at the end of next week) for a weeks time to take kitchen and aga over to France, god knows how I am going to unload that lot given my back is now made of glass.

Grumble moan etc.

Where in France (it is a fairly large place!) If anywhere near 72 (Sarthe) happy to give you a hand as here for about 10 days or so.

Picked up Keith for an after-party McDonald's after work, driving home and a sodding deer leaped out of a field right in front of me.

20191021_043214.thumb.jpg.e5a9f29c9666506c6d417b540c83b61b.jpg

Not really the right time of day to look at it properly, but it would appear all I really need is a headlight and sidelight, and the clips for the grille. It has bent the front of the bonnet and the number plate, but bollocks to that it's not too important. Stupid fucker got up and limped away, didn't even stop to swap insurance!

19 hours ago, TheDoctor said:

Fucking bastarding appliances. 

Washing machine died halfway through a load. Have you ever tried to wring the water out of 3 dressing gowns?! 

It was a second hand one we got 4 months ago for 40 quid so shouldn't complain. 

Just bad fucking timing as usual. 

I'm not sure what is exactly wrong but it just stopped. The panel at the front smells of burning. But the motor doesn't. Makes a click as if to start, but nothing happens. Motor and belt turn freely by hand. 

Nobody ever gets rid of second hand washing machines unless they are fucked. 

1 hour ago, sierraman said:

Nobody ever gets rid of second hand washing machines unless they are fucked. 

not necessarily, I got a barely used one from a house clearance, only £70 and they delivered it free. keep an eye on gumtree and send a speculative email or two ?

7 hours ago, reb said:

Picked up Keith for an after-party McDonald's after work, driving home and a sodding deer leaped out of a field right in front of me.

20191021_043214.thumb.jpg.e5a9f29c9666506c6d417b540c83b61b.jpg

Not really the right time of day to look at it properly, but it would appear all I really need is a headlight and sidelight, and the clips for the grille. It has bent the front of the bonnet and the number plate, but bollocks to that it's not too important. Stupid fucker got up and limped away, didn't even stop to swap insurance!

Hopefully won't be too, er, "deer" to fix.

My washer / dryer was bought second hand 4 years ago and is still going strong (although it had a bit of a wobble yesterday which was cured by sorting the connection to the door lock solenoid).  It replaced an also second hand Indesit machine which managed 8 years before the programmer shat itself (although the bearings were toast by then as well).

I find people quite often get rid of perfectly decent washing machines when they're having a new kitchen fitted, or moving to a new house which has an integrated machine.  They're not all fucked.

54 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Hopefully won't be too, er, "deer" to fix.

think we have everything in stock. If Volvo could have made the headlight out of mild steel they would have, that's pretty much the only real damage! I'm glad for my pressed aluminium plates, a plastic one would have shattered. I have a spare set, but why bother? It adds character.

If I'd been in a plasticy modern (C2, for example) I'd probably still be there picking up bits of it.

IMG_20191021_134321.thumb.jpg.41f0e346f5d98c04fc021a81d07a9a94.jpg

Bloody sodding fluffing useless pile of excrement DVLA.

No V11 delivered beforehand...and why should there be?  It's paid monthly by direct debit!

...Which they've not stopped taking...so I've no idea what's going on here!

The letter doesn't even have the sodding reference number on so I need to dig the V5 out to sort it too.  What a joke.

Been to the cinema twice this weekend; both good films, no complaints there. 

I'm not sure what made me more grumpy, the tossers arriving just before the actual film starts, meaning everyone else who are now well settled in have to move to let them past, or me for obediently sitting through half an hour of adverts for things I don't want. 

1 hour ago, reb said:

think we have everything in stock. If Volvo could have made the headlight out of mild steel they would have, that's pretty much the only real damage! I'm glad for my pressed aluminium plates, a plastic one would have shattered. I have a spare set, but why bother? It adds character.

If I'd been in a plasticy modern (C2, for example) I'd probably still be there picking up bits of it.

I wonder if that was a muntjac deer you collided with. Happened to me years ago when I hit one at no more than 15mph in Bricket Wood. It took out one of my front fogs and still managed to get up and walk off before I'd opened the driver's door. 

4 hours ago, sierraman said:

On the whole though people rarely fancy just upgrading to a better washing machine. You might pick one up where someone’s clearing a house after someone has died though as you say. 

They were moving abroad. Story seemed feasible as the whole house was very bare and she was an aussie.

8 hours ago, sierraman said:

On the whole though people rarely fancy just upgrading to a better washing machine. You might pick one up where someone’s clearing a house after someone has died though as you say. 

That's how we got ours, a friend of a friend's mum passed away and we got given a 3 month old Braun. Although I then did the thing you say no-one does, when I gave away our functioning Indesit simply because we'd had a free upgrade ;)