The grumpy thread

outlaw118

7 hours ago, sierraman said:

I must be hallucinating then

Sheff traffic is fucking shit because the road layout was done by a drunk ant walking through ink. I've been a few times, most recently to kollect a car for brother SWF.

Unless your a student there's no real reason to visit the city centre & the council road planners made sure around the time the tram was installed that they did there best to make it a pain for motorists to go there.

They are also doing there utmost to lure snowflakes to live there in "luxury city centre apartments"That only a few years ago were rundown tower blocks that you couldn't pay locals to visit nevermind buy to live in!

clever clogs kids who fiddle with network cables

whole building was off the air this  morning , no internet or networking

maintenance were stuck , other parts of site worked ok

so I got an old hub and tried that , the lights blinked and the network came up until I put the last cable  in ..

some one in the play room had plugged two ports together on a hub with a cable ....

despite denying it he got his ears burned ... by me , by staff , teachers etc

As an update to my grump from Saturday it appears the guilty party who has slammed/hijacked my landline & internet is Talk Talk, and to compound their fuckery, they're blocking my own ISP from reclaiming the line. I've had to open a new account with them and have now been advised that a new phone line into my flat may be the only solution, which will take a couple of weeks and I may not get my original phone number back, that I've had for nearly 20 years.

I realise it's a first world problem. No-one's in hospital and it shouldn't end up costing me much, but the inconvenience not to mention then fact that this can happen so easily, is really boiling my piss.

On an upside, I've figured out how to tether my mobile to the laptop and use it as an internet source, and have bought a £20 data bundle that should last a week or two, so at least I'm now able to use a proper keyboard and a screen I can see.

clever clogs kids who fiddle with network cables
whole building was off the air this  morning , no internet or networking
maintenance were stuck , other parts of site worked ok
so I got an old hub and tried that , the lights blinked and the network came up until I put the last cable  in ..
some one in the play room had plugged two ports together on a hub with a cable ....
despite denying it he got his ears burned ... by me , by staff , teachers etc
Back in the olden days pre cat 5 networks a coax loop was installed around each school site and into each classroom with BNC connectors and t pieces for each machine (RM 480z's) the little darlings worked out you could pull a connector apart 5mm and stop the entire network whilst still looking intact, alternatively a drawing pin could be put through the cable, with 100 odd high schools on the patch cable fault tracing was a full time job..

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Me: ahh, it'll be good to get to the pub after work tonight..glad the Burd is dropping me off at the station.

The Burd: *starts Clio*

Clio: *oil level warning light*
*Brake fluid level light*

Me: NOT THIS TIME CLIO.

APPLIES BRAKE FLUID (in appropriate location)

RESTARTS CAR ON LEVEL.

TECHNICAL SUCCESS

I've had a light haulage business since 1990 , nothing grand , just me and a 3.5t pickup truck ,, I wound it down about 5 years ago to 2-3 days a week after my biggest customer all but stopped shipping within the UK , decided I didn't want to go chasing new business .2 years ago another customer I worked with rang and started giving me work , it's now gone back to 4-5 days

I hate it , every day is a ball ache ,, traffic from 7am to 7pm , there's no quiet periods anymore, where is everybody going 

Every day without exception I meet at least one utter cunt on the motorway , either driving way too fast for the conditions or weaving about lane to lane in heavy traffic, in lane 3 at the 100yd marker then across 3 lanes and off.

Then there the new smart motorways with idiots in lane 3 doing 61mph for miles refusing to move over 

Looking back I think I coped because I had 5am starts every day while the twats were still asleep , I properly fucking hate it now 

Rant over , sorry 

6 minutes ago, Wack said:

I've had a light haulage business since 1990 , nothing grand , just me and a 3.5t pickup truck ,, I wound it down about 5 years ago to 2-3 days a week after my biggest customer all but stopped shipping within the UK , decided I didn't want to go chasing new business .2 years ago another customer I worked with rang and started giving me work , it's now gone back to 4-5 days

I hate it , every day is a ball ache ,, traffic from 7am to 7pm , there's no quiet periods anymore, where is everybody going 

Every day without exception I meet at least one utter cunt on the motorway , either driving way too fast for the conditions or weaving about lane to lane in heavy traffic, in lane 3 at the 100yd marker then across 3 lanes and off.

Then there the new smart motorways with idiots in lane 3 doing 61mph for miles refusing to move over 

Looking back I think I coped because I had 5am starts every day while the twats were still asleep , I properly fucking hate it now 

Rant over , sorry 

I feel your pain, I had a great job as a service tech for a large company, I used to spend most of my working days on the road, after 7 years I'd had enough and was at the point I was ready to ram someone off the road or kill them to death for being a cunt, so I quit, I now hate driving anywhere really, it's just a complete ballache, even riding motorbikes is a pain as the world is full of fucking dashcam warriors who are happy to post details of your perfectly safe (but fast) overtake online for all to see, its got to the point that the bike stays in the garage most of the time and I use the car just to get 10 miles to work and back.

24 minutes ago, Jazoli said:

I feel your pain, I had a great job as a service tech for a large company, I used to spend most of my working days on the road, after 7 years I'd had enough and was at the point I was ready to ram someone off the road or kill them to death for being a cunt, so I quit, I now hate driving anywhere really, it's just a complete ballache, even riding motorbikes is a pain as the world is full of fucking dashcam warriors who are happy to post details of your perfectly safe (but fast) overtake online for all to see, its got to the point that the bike stays in the garage most of the time and I use the car just to get 10 miles to work and back.

I know what you mean about dashcam warriors , they sit there one after the other doing 43mph in a 60 then when you dare to overtake them they start tapping the dashcam , I've had that once when I overtook 4 cars in one go because they just sat there nobody looking like they were going to overtake.

thankfully it looks like the police only take an interest in dangerous driving and as dashcam ownership increases they'll be swamped with footage of people driving over mini roundabouts  

57 minutes ago, Jazoli said:

+1.

Even 17-18 years ago it was horrible, can't imagine what it's like now. It was pretty much a daily thing getting into some sort of argument with an idiot on the road.

Last week I was stuck on a roundabout on trafford park , every change of the lights more cars piled into the yellow box completely blocking it

Eventually I pushed my way across the lanes so the road in front was clear , one clear lane to cross , I'm at an angle so edge forward slowly because of the blind spot 

Next thing some utter twat comes onto the roundabout hand on the horn doing 20mph from the left , I stopped dead and he just missed the front of the van to join the queue of 200 cars in front of him 

The other drivers probably heard me shouting YOU FUCKINGGG CUUUNNTT over the radio in their cars 

1 hour ago, Wack said:

Rant over , sorry 

My dad does cash in hand driving work for someone and only does it if he can be on the road by 4am, otherwise he hates it! He always gets work too as he is the only oppo who likes the shonky flatbed transit that's speed limited, and they shift alot of glass panes and stuff so he's usually wanted for something! He just enjoys putting his foot flat to the floor and doing 59mph with the wagons in peace

Mine has a limiter but it's 70mph , about 73mph on the clock , it's ok until you get some twat doing 64mph in lane 2 then when you overtake on the limiter to see them sat alongside you in the blind spot mirror now doing the same speed so you have to abandon the overtake then they slow down.

Being both impatient and benevolent I decided to chuck some money at Halfords to stop them going the way of Maplin for a little bit longer, I needed some high temperature mastic/instant gasket to reseal a MAF sensor.

I didnt need anything else but bought a few other bits including an oil filter tool, cannot find any of mine, they may be on perma-borrow and I have forgotten who to.

So it came out of the packet, round the filter housing on the Z3, just need to tighten the clamp now....... Ping!

And that was it, the tiniest failure sound ever and it was busted, didn't even start to hold onto the filter.

The grumpy part kicks in as I opted for the "Email you a receipt" and didnt get a paper copy, can you guess if the Email version ever arrived  ?

48913211086_feccfa841d_z.jpg

As its from the Professional range I was thinking
mechanic-sympathetic-car-mechanic-he-has

Where as it seems to be more of the "Five Dorra, long time" quality, fucked in five minutes.
I changed my mind about posting a picture for that

1 hour ago, Wack said:

Mine has a limiter but it's 70mph , about 73mph on the clock , it's ok until you get some twat doing 64mph in lane 2 then when you overtake on the limiter to see them sat alongside you in the blind spot mirror now doing the same speed so you have to abandon the overtake then they slow down.

That's why I won't buy anything with a speed limiter.  When I'm in the Maxus I tend to cruise at 60-65 to keep the fuel consumption down, but it's reassuring to know that I could wind it up to 100+ if I ever needed to.

2 hours ago, Anthony said:

Are you sure that's the Professional / Advanced range?  Packaging looks like the normal own brand stuff, and that's often pretty shoddy - although not even getting a single use out of a tool is a joke regardless and should be replaced / refunded.

Doesn't say it on the box but does on the website

https://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/tools/hand-tools/halfords-advanced-professional-oil-filter-removal-band

The sun has come out, maybe I'll take a wander over and see what happens, need to pickup some DIY stuff from the same trading estate.

Worst case is I'll end up bodging another hole in the banding strip and repeat until I run out of strip :)

Update: Swapped it for a pair of filter pliers, a tub of M&M's and a demister sponge to make up the difference

3 hours ago, Wack said:

Rant over , sorry 

Doesn't matter how early you get out there anymore, this week I've been on the M1 and M25 before 5 everyday and not only the usual twats you mentioned but phantom lane and junction closures that put the matrix signs on and cause half the cars to slow down meaning the other half who know which gantries actually have cameras almost run into them( I might* be in this second cohort)

This morning I left Milton Keynes at 02.00 taking two old ladies to Gatwick, hit the M1 cruise set at 90 and look forward to being back in bed by 5.  

All going well until j18 of the M25 there's a car in the outside lane of 4 sitting at a steady 80, no sign of moving over. This cunt sits there until j13 at Staines then does the 45 degree swerve to the slip road, I meanwhile have sat in the correct lanes behind him. I didn't hassle him, flash him or undertake, why?

Because it was fully liveried Met Police BMW 530 touring!!! 

I've never seen such bad driving from a Police car in my life.

3 hours ago, wuvvum said:

That's why I won't buy anything with a speed limiter.  When I'm in the Maxus I tend to cruise at 60-65 to keep the fuel consumption down, but it's reassuring to know that I could wind it up to 100+ if I ever needed to.

I didn't know it had a limiter on it until I was on the the 200 mile drive home doing the no radio on listening for noises test drive 

Overtook a truck and it hesitated, first reaction , fuck what was that , 5 minutes and it's ok so I'm waiting for a bang and smoke but no seems to be ok 

Water in the diesel maybe then I pass another truck and power loss

Bollocks it's got a limiter on