The grumpy thread

outlaw118

On 10/11/2019 at 7:43 PM, Kiltox said:

Halfords/Yuasa batteries can get in the sea. Massive, expensive one from my van is dead after about 18 months. Took it back today and they won’t do anything until they charge it (aparrently going to do so tonight) and test it. 

Sounds like the 5 year warranty isn’t worth the paper and they’re going to say “it’s fucked m8 but it’s not our fault”. 

On 10/11/2019 at 7:58 PM, Andyrew said:

As long As you remind them that you DO loads of miles daily and long trips it should be fine.

It's battery season now too,  so months of people getting shirty because we won't fit a battery (as a free favour if we can) in the pissing rain or snow. 

Ah yes. The battery season ?

It would be quite busy on the French team right about now. Plenty of French people moaning about thier battery not working.

Sadly, batteries are built down to a price no matter the make. Bosch and Varta are built in the same factory. We regularly saw batteries that didn't last beyond 4 years.

It is right thay they need to recharge the battery to test it and it can take up to 24 hours to recharge as batteries are run down to the absolute minimum when faulty/or when used with a faulty appliance.

I think it'll pass the test and they'll replace it. Unfortunately the warranty states that a battery must be tested to see if the battery is at fault or whether it has been run down by a faulty alternator or something.

Struggling a bit at the moment with the damp weather, it really makes me ache but I didn't think I was 'THAT' bad that I needed a chair brought out for me while waiting at the chemists! There were actual old people there, they didn't get offered, just me.

also, I was sat with a friend while supposed to be walking the dogs (Phoebe busy in the hedge, couldn't disturb her) said friend thought it was hysterical that after 9 months I am stil avoiding the same woman! I have told her more than once I am not interested, she won't listen... I saw her car coming down the road and hid behind a bush/dog/bad attitude, forgetting completely the big silver dollop parked just by that sort of gives my presence away!

4 hours ago, volvov70 said:

It is the B word along with the new ludicrous affordability criteria - yes you can shell out 50% of your salary on rent but the same for a mortgage? oh no sir

Nobody is buying all over the country. my parents house has been up for sale at a very reasonable price for 18 months now without a single offer - 2000+ square foot 4 bed bungalow in a 6th of an acre for less than 300K.

Rentals on the other hand are booming

Lots of land lords consolidating their assets and selling enough to pay off the mortgages on the others.  This means that the rental properties that are left are often at the lower end of the market where short term yields are higher.  So demand on nicer properties of which there are less available is higher.  

If you can save up a deposit, convince a bank to lend you the money, it will be cheaper than renting.  But if you are renting, explain how you intend to save the deposit. 

Well done to the government for screwing the tax system for buy to lets.  You got what you wanted. Space for big business to come in and screw everyone. 

1 hour ago, New POD said:
What happened? Anything with a chain is a nightmare. 

First gave up waiting for us to find a house after a month.

Second had his buyer pull out because "he couldn't make the rental yields work". Fuck that, it's because you hoped we'd brexit and the prices drop. We lost the house we wanted on this one. Ended up having to pay £90k more to get what we want as it was a good price. All that extra money I have to pay off scares the shit out of me at times. 

Third pulled out as her financial situation changed.

Fourth has been told by her solicitor to not do any work until her mortgage is thru. Ended up coming through this evening in the end and also our threat of going back on the market meant she started solicitor work earlier today too. Hopefully she'll put her foot down a bit more.

Massive shit show basically.

36 minutes ago, New POD said:

Lots of land lords consolidating their assets and selling enough to pay off the mortgages on the others.  This means that the rental properties that are left are often at the lower end of the market where short term yields are higher.  So demand on nicer properties of which there are less available is higher.  

If you can save up a deposit, convince a bank to lend you the money, it will be cheaper than renting.  But if you are renting, explain how you intend to save the deposit. 

Well done to the government for screwing the tax system for buy to lets.  You got what you wanted. Space for big business to come in and screw everyone. 

But if you are renting, explain how you intend to save the deposit. 

This, it's impossible, I have £24 before food and fuel a month left, yea course I can save £20k for a deposit on a shit box

10 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

But if you are renting, explain how you intend to save the deposit. 

This, it's impossible, I have £24 before food and fuel a month left, yea course I can save £20k for a deposit on a shit box

I used the word IF.  

If you can save a deposit. 

As far as I can see, the only people my age and younger who have bought houses on their own (i.e. not with a partner / spouse) stayed living with their parents well into their 20s, or even later, paying minimal rent, and were able to save a deposit that way.  People like me who are single and left home at 17 have no fucking chance.  At least not south of the M62.  Short of a lottery win, the only time I'll ever be able to afford a place is when my parents peg it, and assuming (hoping) they have at least 20 years left, I'll be past 60 and it'll be a bit late.  That's if they haven't had to sell everything they own to pay care home fees.

Totally agree, Wuvvum. The only reason we can afford to buy our place is because of the 'right to buy' scheme, combined with a very hefty discount and my redundancy. We missed the boat many years ago because of shit wages/our financial situation (credit history) etc.  It's not the end of the world, but having something to leave for the kids was a major factor.

Screw in a tyre on my van last week , stone hit the windscreen Monday and cracked it , luckily right at the bottom , crack seems to be progressing along the bottom.

Just got to Manchester, front tyre other side got a big screw in it so I'm sat in Costco waiting to get it fixed

Hopefully that's the 3 shit things for this month 

They don't work fast here, it's just taken them an hour to put 4 tyres on a car , in Blackburn theyd have had that done in 15 minutes

I don’t know if I’ve moaned about this before... but for clarity I’ll moan again. Sheffield is bringing in a clean air thing, so basically buses and taxis not meeting the EURO whatever limits will be charged an additional £50 a day to enter the city centre - which unsurprisingly enough is passed on to the customer - that’s me. Anyway the complaint I have with it is that it takes me an hour on the bus to travel 7 miles. Sometimes more. The arterial route into the city is absolutely clogged with cars. Applying a charge to buses won’t stop this, in fact the rise in fares will cause people to use the bus less.  I never thought I’d say this but realistically they need to levy a charge on cars instead coming into the city. Not just the older cars, charge the lot, I don’t agree with billing older cars as it’s penalising the people who probably can’t afford it, it needs to be a billed across the board to people with new cars as well. That’s the only way that traffic will reduce and people will be persuaded into the bus/tram/train. 

48 minutes ago, Wack said:

Screw in a tyre on my van last week , stone hit the windscreen Monday and cracked it , luckily right at the bottom , crack seems to be progressing along the bottom.

Just got to Manchester, front tyre other side got a big screw in it so I'm sat in Costco waiting to get it fixed

Hopefully that's the 3 shit things for this month 

They don't work fast here, it's just taken them an hour to put 4 tyres on a car , in Blackburn theyd have had that done in 15 minutes

If you're a tyre fitter come to Costco, they e done 4 thres and a puncture since 10am , just getting my van back now 

10 minutes ago, Wack said:

If you're a tyre fitter come to Costco, they e done 4 thres and a puncture since 10am , just getting my van back now 

"Alright lads, we need to take as long as possible with this so they get bored and go in and renew their membership and gorge themselves on cheap hot dogs"

3 hours ago, sierraman said:

I don’t know if I’ve moaned about this before... but for clarity I’ll moan again. Sheffield is bringing in a clean air thing, so basically buses and taxis not meeting the EURO whatever limits will be charged an additional £50 a day to enter the city centre - which unsurprisingly enough is passed on to the customer - that’s me. Anyway the complaint I have with it is that it takes me an hour on the bus to travel 7 miles. Sometimes more. The arterial route into the city is absolutely clogged with cars. Applying a charge to buses won’t stop this, in fact the rise in fares will cause people to use the bus less.  I never thought I’d say this but realistically they need to levy a charge on cars instead coming into the city. Not just the older cars, charge the lot, I don’t agree with billing older cars as it’s penalising the people who probably can’t afford it, it needs to be a billed across the board to people with new cars as well. That’s the only way that traffic will reduce and people will be persuaded into the bus/tram/train. 

I went to Sheffield once.  Used the tram to go and visit the university.  Didn't notice any.congestion

2 hours ago, New POD said:

I went to Sheffield once.  Used the tram to go and visit the university.  Didn't notice any.congestion

Same here but it would have been 1953.

We went to Lewis' and I was very impressed with the pneumatic system for sending payments to the finance offices, and the escalators.

Santa's grotto was wonderful, lined with shiny blue foil.

As we were ascending on the escalator someone dropped some metal thing that rang loudly throughout the building.

Apparently I said "Someone's dropped a clanger" - one of my dad's favourite sayings.

7 hours ago, sierraman said:

I must be hallucinating then

Sheff traffic is fucking shit because the road layout was done by a drunk ant walking through ink. I've been a few times, most recently to kollect a car for brother SWF.

Unless your a student there's no real reason to visit the city centre & the council road planners made sure around the time the tram was installed that they did there best to make it a pain for motorists to go there.

They are also doing there utmost to lure snowflakes to live there in "luxury city centre apartments"That only a few years ago were rundown tower blocks that you couldn't pay locals to visit nevermind buy to live in!

clever clogs kids who fiddle with network cables

whole building was off the air this  morning , no internet or networking

maintenance were stuck , other parts of site worked ok

so I got an old hub and tried that , the lights blinked and the network came up until I put the last cable  in ..

some one in the play room had plugged two ports together on a hub with a cable ....

despite denying it he got his ears burned ... by me , by staff , teachers etc