The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Someone has given a third-party home phone/broadband supplier my name and address, which theyre in the process of switching, so I have no internet beyond this PAYG mobile and my phone number has now changed. Spent 3 hours on the phone today trying to sort it and it looks like it'll be into next week before I have internet back. Apparently it's called slamming and that's exactly what I'll be doing to some cunt when I find out who's responsible.

Nottingham ?

The least car-friendly city I have been to so far. I have been here before as most places around the country but it's different when you are using your own car. 

Looking for cheap parking, in Nottingham, on a Sunday should be easier than during the week. Is it? No. Everywhere is bloody expensive and I nearly got lost trying to park in the snooty part next to Nottingham Castle. Ended up 2 miles away from where I was supposed to be trying to get out of the snooty part.

Even Central London wasn't this bad and I have visited Central London in my own car.

Anyway, on the upside I might be getting back into the car buying and selling business  on a more full time basis after being out of it for so long. Also, spotted the building where the office of "Boon" was when it moved to Nottingham in the 90s.

11 minutes ago, Lord Sterling said:

Nottingham ?

The least car-friendly city I have been to so far. I have been to most places around the country but it's different when you are using your own car. 

Looking for cheap parking, in Nottingham, on a Sunday should be easier than during the week. Is it? No. Everywhere is bloody expensive and I nearly got lost trying to park in the snooty part next to Nottingham Castle. Ended up 2 miles away from where I was supposed to be trying to get out of the snooty part.

Even Central London wasn't this bad and I have visited Central London in my own car.

Anyway, on the upside I might be getting back into the car buying and selling business  on a more full time basis after being out of it for so long.

Nottingham has been a nightmare for years, and I believe the first place in the world to have red light cameras.

3 hours ago, DVee8 said:

Plans to have a little Daimler messing with today ,foiled by the weather.

I would like to get it running well again.

Plans to fix the Mazda have been similarly Kai-boshed, as the Yugo/2CV combo is taking up the car fixing space in the garage. 

But the skies have now cleared, so... 

Edinburgh Airport is one of the worst I have been to. Car park hugely confusing as is the rest of the airport. Nothing open when we arrived at 4am and when it did, the only option was All Bar One. £27 for 2 coffees that were so strong they almost took off from the table, 2 waffles that looked like boot mats and a pretentious 'sausage sa(nd)dwich' that was so chuch it absorbed all the moisture in my body. 

Shite Hole.

Glesca Airport is Miles Better.

I hope Stockholm is awesome though :)

On a very wet M40 yesterday, dreadful visibility and the outside lane is like a swimming pool.

It wasn't the 'executive' car drivers who were the biggest problem, but some absolute botty rocket in a black Vectra C. He'd already tried the outside lane once and must have seen how stupid an idea it was. He then dropped back, I thought presumably realising how fucking stupid he was. Then, shortly after, as I'm the middle lane trying to carefully overtake someone, he hit the outside lane pretty much full tilt and the wall of water was honestly frightening. I couldn't see a think for what seemed like 10 seconds but was probably only 3 or 4. How he didn't wipe himself out I just don't know. Absolute and utter bell end.

22 minutes ago, Cavcraft said:

On a very wet M40 yesterday, dreadful visibility and the outside lane is like a swimming pool.

It wasn't the 'executive' car drivers who were the biggest problem, but some absolute botty rocket in a black Vectra C. He'd already tried the outside lane once and must have seen how stupid an idea it was. He then dropped back, I thought presumably realising how fucking stupid he was. Then, shortly after, as I'm the middle lane trying to carefully overtake someone, he hit the outside lane pretty much full tilt and the wall of water was honestly frightening. I couldn't see a think for what seemed like 10 seconds but was probably only 3 or 4. How he didn't wipe himself out I just don't know. Absolute and utter bell end.

For the last 2 years I've been using the M62/M57 to commute. It's been an eye opener to say the least. People driving with no lights on in piss poor visibilty. When you're in a queue joining the motorway and people in the nearside lane don't move over even when they can. The one that does annoy me is people moving into the middle lane immediately after joining the motorway and staying put...

Absolute shaft bulbs!

It's just taken me 15 minutes to get a wheel off. 

When I got tyres fitted and rotated at the Halfrauds Autocentre (they'd actually a good deal at the time) I asked "do you torque the wheels by hand". "Of course we do" was the answer.  Grand or so I thought. 

Just been bouncing on a breaker bar only to get the nasty crack of an overtightened stud. Some lazy fucker used an impact wrench to tighten them I bet. I'd love to wrap the breaker bar round their neck. 

15 minutes ago, Spurious said:

It's just taken me 15 minutes to get a wheel off. 

When I got tyres fitted and rotated at the Halfrauds Autocentre (they'd actually a good deal at the time) I asked "do you torque the wheels by hand". "Of course we do" was the answer.  Grand or so I thought. 

Just been bouncing on a breaker bar only to get the nasty crack of an overtightened stud. Some lazy fucker used an impact wrench to tighten them I bet. I'd love to wrap the breaker bar round their neck. 

They don't understand. Which is why they work in a tyre place and not at NASA designing rocket control systems. 

Not saying everyone who works in a tyre place is as thick as pig shit. I've met a few who did care enough to understand.  Paul's tyres in L37 have different guns for putting on and taking off. The putting on one. Gets the bolt to about 3/4 of a turn from being tight, and they set the torque wrench for every car.  What I've not seen is a torque wrench calibration gauge of the like that I've seen and used in Aerospace assembly operations, where the check.the torque wrench before each job. 

Having said that I had my wheel off to adjust the hand brake and failed to tighten it up. Doh. Lucky the wheel didn't come off. 

15 minutes ago, New POD said:

They don't understand. Which is why they work in a tyre place and not at NASA designing rocket control systems. 

Fair enough, but isn't that what TRAINING is for? I feel Spurious' pain, having had to get the wheel off our Peugeot Boxer after some nob at Kwikfit had wanged the nuts up to about 470000056Nm with a rattle gun. It took two of us armed with a four foot bar with the second brace (the first one broke) to get the fucker off.