The grumpy thread

outlaw118

8 hours ago, Parky said:

Can I also thank you all for your comments and sympathies, they all meant a lot at a very stressful time.  Just wanted you all to know it is thoroughly appreciated, every one of you.  

It's been fascinating reading about your experiences post-crash, thank you for sharing. 

Halfords/Yuasa batteries can get in the sea. Massive, expensive one from my van is dead after about 18 months. Took it back today and they won’t do anything until they charge it (aparrently going to do so tonight) and test it. 

Sounds like the 5 year warranty isn’t worth the paper and they’re going to say “it’s fucked m8 but it’s not our fault”. 

Does anyone else get days where/when they are convincd their car is falling to bits? I do and today was one of them - not as fast as usual, rattle from the roof, decided to panic a bit more so put the temp gauge up on the screen and then spent the rest of the day wondering/worrying if it had moved, was to high in the first place (about 92-93 degrees, is that okay?) oh yes and it's got a dent that I can see, but it's not there really and I can't see it if I look for it. Sort of an imaginary dent/Shrodingers dent if you will.

Oh yes and I feel guilty if I press the throttle to far as that is abusing the thing and could damage it. When I pressed the brakes did I feel a wobble? I put the 'box in sport mode and I swear it slurred a gearchange....

I have been outside in the pouring rain three times trying to catch a glimpse of Shrodingers dent, it isn't there so someone must have let the bloody cat out...

13 minutes ago, xtriple said:

Does anyone else get days where/when they are convincd their car is falling to bits? I do and today was one of them - not as fast as usual, rattle from the roof, decided to panic a bit more so put the temp gauge up on the screen and then spent the rest of the day wondering/worrying if it had moved, was to high in the first place (about 92-93 degrees, is that okay?) oh yes and it's got a dent that I can see, but it's not there really and I can't see it if I look for it. Sort of an imaginary dent/Shrodingers dent if you will.

Oh yes and I feel guilty if I press the throttle to far as that is abusing the thing and could damage it. When I pressed the brakes did I feel a wobble? I put the 'box in sport mode and I swear it slurred a gearchange....

I have been outside in the pouring rain three times trying to catch a glimpse of Shrodingers dent, it isn't there so someone must have let the bloody cat out...

All the time :-)

what’s that clunck? Is that a new rattle? Are the brakes squealing worse? Is that the right temperature? Where the hell is that water coming from?

Blah blah parents surprise visit on the way back from Blackpool. 

Blah blah wife not in. 

Blah blah I refused to let them stay the night blah blah

Knowing that my wife doesn't want to see them

Blah blah

Wife came home

Told her they suggested staying blah blah

She was furious that I'd let 2 x 82 year old drive in the dark back to Anglesey and that they wouldn't be home before 10:30 pm

Blah blah

I shoukd have made up a bed. 

I'm in the dog house. 

Can't do right for doing wrong. 

Because I'm a spineless twat. 

13 hours ago, Kiltox said:

Halfords/Yuasa batteries can get in the sea. Massive, expensive one from my van is dead after about 18 months. Took it back today and they won’t do anything until they charge it (aparrently going to do so tonight) and test it. 

Sounds like the 5 year warranty isn’t worth the paper and they’re going to say “it’s fucked m8 but it’s not our fault”. 

Took one back just still inside warranty a couple of weeks back. They tested it on the spot, declared it totally dead and passed me a new one.

13 hours ago, xtriple said:

Every day! Gearbox whine/general noise is getting more audible, still not looked at the light low speed squeaking coming from one front wheel (it's not brakes, it's there when I brake) and it could do with an oil change. 

Meh, still drives. Mot is soon so I'm inclined to not to much to it and see how it does. I'd like new lower ball joints and rear axle bushes too but I'm not fitting them for it to fail on hidden rust or similar

Admin.  I don’t mind a bit of admin but sometimes red tape makes no sense.  

Utilities.  I want to change my power tariff.  Happy to stay with my provider but I want the one they offer on uSwitch which isn’t on their website.  Nope, you have to close your account with us and open a new one.  Why not just give me the new tariff?  Nope, can’t, won’t, we shall not.  Just why?

Water.  Hello, I am in credit and would like a refund of the (not insubstantial) balance as the cash is of more use to me in my account, what with it being mine and all.  Anyone would think I just asked the man to convert my Cat into solid gold.  Does he really think my water consumption is likely to double in the next six months?

Pension.  Nope, we don’t have your pension anymore, it’s with someone else.  Here is their address.  No we can’t give you a number for them.  Or a website.  I have to send a letter.  What is this, 1981?

i really don’t think I am asking for very much to be honest.  Plus all my internet, broadband, printer connectivity seems to be sodding about this morning and things that just worked last night don’t want to this morning.  

Next up - state pension update.  I bet I don’t exist or something stupid like that.  Mind you if that’s the case that will mean that all my taxes are surely refundable.  Let’s go see.....

15 hours ago, xtriple said:

Just the opposite - sometimes it seems as though (almost) everything is working.

Well it seems that despite providing national insurance details, passport numbers, driving licence info, company director information and Experian references, HMRC are unable to positively identify me and therefore can’t give me my state pension forecast.

They can positively identify how much money I owe them though.  Funny that...

I should be grumpy but... Phoebe is upside down full length on the sofa and as she is not so good today I don't have the heart to crowd her, so I am laying on the floor with a pile of cushions and a duvet.  I do have a fat Chester under the same duvet with me, he is fast asleep as well but at least he loves me enough to stay with me on the dog shelf instead of abandoning me and laying on the sofa with her nibs.

Someone has given a third-party home phone/broadband supplier my name and address, which theyre in the process of switching, so I have no internet beyond this PAYG mobile and my phone number has now changed. Spent 3 hours on the phone today trying to sort it and it looks like it'll be into next week before I have internet back. Apparently it's called slamming and that's exactly what I'll be doing to some cunt when I find out who's responsible.