The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Am awake at 3.30am, large doses of steroids and ravishing hunger after three days nil by mouth will do that to a man.

Depressions back.  Events of the last few days have put me on a high speed trajectory towards the ground but booked some therapy last night which my company medical pay for 100%.  Amazing.  

Folk who say my car will be written off, i think you are right.  The passenger door is proud of the rest of the car even though it is shut tight so I think the car is slightly bent.  Still can’t work out why I took the Mini and not my own car, and the series of very odd events on the journey towards the accident, each one delaying me just a little more each time as if it was going to happen anyway.  

Watched the side impact NCAP crash test for the latest Mini and it is EXACTLY what happened to me.  Damage, airbag behaviour, even the fuel filler popping open, all identical.  Don’t know why I am compelled to keep watching it.  Seeing the same in a Seat Leon makes me realise I definitely would have been more badly hurt had i taken my own car

I dunno, shock, steroids, hunger, general misery plus a load of other shit in my life right now I kind of feel like a stuck cd, the track is just bouncing off the same note and I can’t skip to the next track.  Nearly weekend, just survive today and tomorrow and a lovely weekend will help I am sure. 

Attempts to check the actual oil level in the Dacia Logan 1.5 diesel taxi are proving to be ridiculously difficult. Car parked up on level ground overnight, withdraw dipstick and it has oil all over it. Wipe, re insert, withdraw and one side of the dipstick shows no oil while the other side has a smeary level just below max. Repeat the process and get another version of the same, ie nothing on one side but something on the other. It differs every time! As it usually comes out oily somewhere and no oil pressure warnings am fairly convinced that it has enough oil in. But FFS.The plastic outer tube is a narrow necked affair and is presumably wiping the dipstick on its way out. Silly. 
Yeah the dipstick on a Clio DCi is also useless. Does it have an electronic dipstick like the Clio 2?

18 hours ago, Bobthebeard said:

Attempts to check the actual oil level in the Dacia Logan 1.5 diesel taxi are proving to be ridiculously difficult. Car parked up on level ground overnight, withdraw dipstick and it has oil all over it. Wipe, re insert, withdraw and one side of the dipstick shows no oil while the other side has a smeary level just below max. Repeat the process and get another version of the same, ie nothing on one side but something on the other. It differs every time! As it usually comes out oily somewhere and no oil pressure warnings am fairly convinced that it has enough oil in. But FFS.The plastic outer tube is a narrow necked affair and is presumably wiping the dipstick on its way out. Silly. 

On most Renault's, when the dash says "Oil Ok" you can hit the trip counter reset button and it'll give you the actual oil level it's measuring. 

Loaded the Transit up at work this morning.Left the yard,and had done about a mile.A message came up,Fuel Filter Blocked,followed by Engine Service Needed Now.It then went into limp mode for about half a mile & has now died.

Stuck at the side of the road waiting for recovery,I hadn't even got to the shop to get a coffee ☹

8 hours ago, Parky said:

Am awake at 3.30am, large doses of steroids and ravishing hunger after three days nil by mouth will do that to a man.

Depressions back.  Events of the last few days have put me on a high speed trajectory towards the ground but booked some therapy last night which my company medical pay for 100%.  Amazing.  

Folk who say my car will be written off, i think you are right.  The passenger door is proud of the rest of the car even though it is shut tight so I think the car is slightly bent.  Still can’t work out why I took the Mini and not my own car, and the series of very odd events on the journey towards the accident, each one delaying me just a little more each time as if it was going to happen anyway.  

Watched the side impact NCAP crash test for the latest Mini and it is EXACTLY what happened to me.  Damage, airbag behaviour, even the fuel filler popping open, all identical.  Don’t know why I am compelled to keep watching it.  Seeing the same in a Seat Leon makes me realise I definitely would have been more badly hurt had i taken my own car

I dunno, shock, steroids, hunger, general misery plus a load of other shit in my life right now I kind of feel like a stuck cd, the track is just bouncing off the same note and I can’t skip to the next track.  Nearly weekend, just survive today and tomorrow and a lovely weekend will help I am sure. 

Sounds shit mate. I’m just glad you’re ostensibly in one piece although things like this send our brains into overdrive.  

9 hours ago, Parky said:

Still can’t work out why I took the Mini and not my own car, and the series of very odd events on the journey towards the accident, each one delaying me just a little more each time as if it was going to happen anyway.  

Let this go. It's the road to madness.

I've been there & done it myself, I ran over & killed a bloke on an unlit dual carriageway whilst doing 90mph. It is impossible to resolve it to your satisfaction in your mind. There are endless ifs & ands & buts & variables & chances - it simply can't be done. So consciously file it away as unresolved, and move on to something else. That'll be a pound to the barefoot psychologist please.

You should overtake a cyclist when it is safe to do so.  NOT WHEN THERE'S ME COMING THE OTHER WAY YOU DODDERY OLD BASTARD.  Don't then try to correct the mistake by SWERVING BACK AT THE CYCLIST.  OMFG.

On the plus side, after doing an emergency stop to prevent a collision, the handbrake on the BX works lovely now.

1 hour ago, vulgalour said:

You should overtake a cyclist when it is safe to do so.  NOT WHEN THERE'S ME COMING THE OTHER WAY YOU DODDERY OLD BASTARD.  Don't then try to correct the mistake by SWERVING BACK AT THE CYCLIST.  OMFG.

On the plus side, after doing an emergency stop to prevent a collision, the handbrake on the BX works lovely now.

Ah yes. I remember that brake improvement technique. The whole 'overtaking cyclists' thing is a pain though. No, putting your indicator on does not give you freedom to drive into oncoming traffic!

It's cute that you assumed he gave me the courtesy of an indicator.

Parky's recent misadventure has perhaps made me a little more wary than I would have been (I hope you get well soon!), I'm keenly aware of how badly I'd fair in even a low speed accident in the BX, and drive accordingly.

5 hours ago, 155V6 said:

Loaded the Transit up at work this morning.Left the yard,and had done about a mile.A message came up,Fuel Filter Blocked,followed by Engine Service Needed Now.It then went into limp mode for about half a mile & has now died.

Stuck at the side of the road waiting for recovery,I hadn't even got to the shop to get a coffee ☹

Mechanic came out & changed the fuel filter,but no joy.He said there was some swarf in the fuel,so not looking good.Recovery was ordered at about 1.00,was on the way but got re-directed to an accident by the Police.Still waiting.....

Well done, you have done the right thing. If you have genuine concerns about the safety of the child you have done the right thing by the child. You don't have to admit to the family who did the reporting,

It can be difficult to intervene, no one wants to have to remove kids from the parents ideally, but if the kid is being abused we have a duo to speak up.

This arrived a few minutes agoimage.thumb.jpeg.17723e99fe73b1313238736cda22c74c.jpeg

The grump is that it's for 2 sheds and their contents that have become infested with rats, so far so bad. But one 6'x4' shed is packed floor to ceiling with bundles of magazines and brochures that I've been collecting since I was 9?.

Thats 46 years of my life, they're wrapped in polythene to keep any damp at bay so there's a slim chance some packs in the middle may be salvageable, we'll see...

Just off to Wilcos for some storage boxes just in case things like my complete 75 to 90 run of Ford Cars is OK or all the matching 70's Vauxhall, Chrysler and BL ones- I'm starting to upset myself now!

Went back to work yesterday. Probably a bit too soon.  Drove to Peterborough and did a meeting which was fine, drove back after.  However forgot I had a second meeting in Huntingdon so managed to rearrange that but surprised I did that, first time in 20 years....

Went to office, felt odd, bit weak, sweaty, etc.  Got through the day, made it home.

Last night another flare up.  Been awake all night in agony, but have been sick (a lot) this morning and feel a lot better.  Still feel like I have been trampled by a load of cows so fucked today off as I am still not quite right.  Thank god it’s the weekend.  Should have taken yesterday off and returned for an easy transition today instead.  Really need to start facing the fact I am 46 not 26 and because the steroids make me feel invincible, I really am not!

Repair place did an initial assessment of the car and it’s actually not as bad as first thought.  The impact missed the key structural stuff and it doesn’t appear to be out of whack (laser jig will confirm but the guys are confident it’s actually alright).  Estimate of £7000 repair and three weeks to do it.  Assessor amazed I was unhurt, everyone seems to be.  I bloody am!  They have been really fastidious and identified a couple of parking dink’s I didn’t know about so they are being attributed as part of the damage and sorted for free.  Nice one.

Am gradually letting it go as have been driving myself insane reliving it over and over and considering “what ifs?” and that sort of thing.  I can now see exactly how the guy lost it, and why he overcorrected so much.  Basically he slid on a wet manhole cover and as he corrected the road surface changed to a dry one as it went under an underpass - his tyres suddenly had grip on the dry road explaining how it snapped back so violently.  I didn’t think of that at the time.  Little things help me make sense of it.  Poor sod wasn’t expecting the car to spin, just did what comes naturally (dab of oppo) and after that he could have gone anywhere.  He had his kid in the car, it could have been a high speed head on with something else, or a rollover.  Two fucked cars, three unfucked humans, I think we will call that a win and draw a line under it now.

Thick people, my cousin asked me to find her a car, £500 max, must have service history and full mot with a warranty and be safe to run her kids 5 miles to school, oh and it MUST be a diesel, when I asked her why and she said it was because they were cheaper to run, when I pointed out that they may do better headline mpg but are a potential timebomb her eye's glazed over.

People are so blinkered that they don't realise a small petrol engine is far less hassle and just as economical for the 10 mile round trip, they have been brainwashed that a diesel costs less to run, my wife was the same, until I pointed out my 1.8 Avensis was the same cost per mile as her diesel Peugeot even though it did less mpg because diesel was 10p a litre more expensive. 

I politely declined and told her to ask someone else.

14 minutes ago, Jazoli said:

Thick people, my cousin asked me to find her a car, £500 max, must have service history and full mot with a warranty and be safe to run her kids 5 miles to school, oh and it MUST be a diesel, when I asked her why and she said it was because they were cheaper to run, when I pointed out that they may do better headline mpg but are a potential timebomb her eye's glazed over.

People are so blinkered that they don't realise a small petrol engine is far less hassle and just as economical for the 10 mile round trip, they have been brainwashed that a diesel costs less to run, my wife was the same, until I pointed out my 1.8 Avensis was the same cost per mile as her diesel Peugeot even though it did less mpg because diesel was 10p a litre more expensive. 

1688053096_moononastick.jpg.4edb539f2b79ff406eca61bbeabe9e8b.jpg

29 minutes ago, Jazoli said:

I was hell bent on buying a diesel Leon when I got mine in 2008 until I did the maths and realised I would need to do 30000 miles a year to justify the extra outlay.  Not an issue on a second hand but for £500 you are in 15 year old Astra and Focus territory with interstellar mileage as we all know.

Warranty? Service history?  Yeah, get someone else to find something as even if you did find a car that was a perfect fit you just know you will be responsible if a bulb blows six months down the track.  Well swerved

Are you a boring bastard?

Do you have an anecdote about meeting Barry Chuckle or did you once chat to the postman of Brian Connelly?

Will you read out the phone book? 

Yes???

Then don't go on bastard popmaster.

"Can I have a quick hello? OK, my wife Maureen, Shiela, Mark and Paul. Tina and Greg, all the lads from The Red Bull darts team.... Alvin, Simon, Theodore. Mark 2, Pauline. If I don't mention Sarah Johnson she'll have me. My mum and dad, my kids Deborah and Terry and their partners John and Malcolm. The two grandkids Greta and Jessica. Everyone I work with at R.LB. Engineering here in Lowestoft... Oh and everyone else who knows me."

Nobody wants to know you, you fucking wank.

Another week. Another bunch of car related misery.  The Punto that I previously mentioned. Is still at the garage awaiting the headgasket to be replaced. Which they can't do till next week. Can't afford to tax the Stilo instead as I'm skint, thanks to the Punto repair costs. An just to please me more. I've spent two miserable afternoons failing to get my Aunties BMW Mini to start. 

I'm suspecting a crank sensor which is a total bastard of a job. Which mean's it will have to go to a garage. An that's the last thing she needs at the minute.

So looks like I'll have to tow rope it back for her. Using my Dads van as there no breakdown cover. Joy.

Then my Brother had some idiot drive into the side of his Ford Focus this morning. 

I honest can't wait for this week to be over!