The grumpy thread

outlaw118

10 hours ago, SiC said:

Aaaaaand it's gone

Screenshot_20191007-202224_Chrome.thumb.jpg.3e8757087b62204c2da4310329db34d7.jpg

All because the mods don't seem to want to ban a single trouble maker that trolls and deliberately derails threads. 

Incidentally it's unlikely she'll read this post either as she never actually interacts with the main subject matter of this forum. 

As stated on the thread itself, and several hours in advance to stop people saying it had been whitewashed, the thread was moved to the less moderated private section of the forum so that the discussion could continue without it affecting the wider forum. Should you wish to have access to that part of the forum you only need to PM chaseracer or me and we will add you to it. The moderation of individuals who derail the thread is being dealt with. 

10 hours ago, HMC said:

I wish the threshold for thread deletion was higher. I had nothing meaningful to contribute to it but IMO the ultimate let it be approach would be not to post and see it drop off the page. Too far to delete IMO.

I totally agree, deleting it would be too far. And I would have loved to see the discussion flourish, but we had to deal with more reports in the last 48 hours than in the previous two months! Situations like this is why the ‘divisive topics’ section was set up in the first place to allow these discussions to continue rather than be deleted. Feel free to PM me to be added and you can continue the discussion. 

I totally agree, deleting it would be too far. And I would have loved to see the discussion flourish, but we had to deal with more reports in the last 48 hours than in the previous two months! Situations like this is why the ‘divisive topics’ section was set up in the first place to allow these discussions to continue rather than be deleted. Feel free to PM me to be added and you can continue the discussion. 

My thanks to[mention=207]chaseracer[/mention] and[mention=18217]brownnova[/mention] for having the patience to sort this out, it's a thankless task that just seems to put them in the firing line, certain individuals certainly seem to revel in wading into perfectly sensible discussions throwing buzzwords and accusations about then leaving the moderators to deal with the frustration of loads of others.

Personally a number of times I typed out responses within the thread having spent the last 15 years working for equality in and outside the workplace for those within marginalised groups whilst being a privileged straight white male, only to delete them as I knew individuals would start throwing accusations at me of I had used a word they didn't like, so didn't hit post. There was a telling post early on in the thread about "not having to listen to unwanted opinions" problem is this stance of my opinion is right and yours is unwanted just goes onto widen the divide rather than bridge it, we need to understand and engage with people's views, opinions and insecurities rather than shout them down for having an opinion, this will entrench opinions rather than educate or enlighten..

So thanks Dave & Alex, rather you than me...

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Northern Fucking Rail. Last week I turned up for a train to work four minutes before it was due to leave, only to find it had already left. I filled in my Delay Repay claim for an hour's delay (the next train), only to be told by these chiselling bastards that because the train left within 15 minutes of the published time I can FRO.

Their spectacular record for lateness is a matter of public record, but I seriously can't believe that even a shower of twats like Northern think it's OK for a train to leave up to 15 minutes before the published time! Oh well, it only takes a few seconds to submit the (useless) appeal, and then I can forward it onto the Ombudsman, and they've over-ruled Northern every time I've referred anything to them.

1 hour ago, Floatylight said:

..., certain individuals certainly seem to revel in wading into perfectly sensible discussions throwing buzzwords and accusations about....

Yes, it sounded like the result of going on a three-day residential course aiming to increase the use of corporate / management bollocks. 

Hard to know what you're moaning about, tbh.  I'm going to combine my interests of taxidermy and bomb making and make you an otter you can't defuse. 

21 hours ago, omegod said:

That Mini will be a write off, took the hit like a champ though and glad you're ok Parky 

Reckon I will be a write off at this rate.  Back in the hospital.

Went to work Monday morning despite the pain in the neck and shoulders.  For the first time in my life I was scared being in a car, every other car on the road was just there to wipe me out.  A Merc pulled a ridiculous undertaking move on me, stopped over across two lanes forcing someone else to emergency brake who nearly swerved into me and with that I stopped on the hard shoulder and had a cry.  Cancelled my appointments and drove home slowly on side roads.

Developed incredible stomachache, as a Crohns sufferer I an prone to having problems when in stressful situations.  Pain got worse and worse until A&E was the only option as Morphine is the only thing that works during a proper flare up.  Came in at 8pm last night, got the morphia at 6am and that was only because the third doctor i spoke to took me seriously enough to check my records which clearly say “man is Crohns sufferer, is to be given morphia upon demand” despite being in crippling pain for the ten hours I was here (as well as the ten hours before coming in)

So haven’t slept for a couple of days, haven’t eaten since Saturday night, am heavily medicated in hospital.  

Mrs P didn’t actually give a shit about the car, when she heard what happened and saw that it wasn’t my fault she just shrugged it off.  Got the hire car yesterday (Black 5 door mini) and ours  is being picked up by their insurer Thursday.  I am assuming my insurance company is aware of all this happening.

Very angry with the other driver.  Yes, shit happens and at least nobodies seriously hurt but i am dosed up on morphia in hospital with a wrecked car on my drive.  He was unhurt and yes his car was wrecked but he will be at work having a normal life right now.  Not fucking fair. Just because he can’t control a car in the wet my life gets fucked about with.  Standing there shrugging his shoulders saying “ah well, one of those things!”

Cunt.  

I was driving Mrs PBK's then new Micra (1994 or 95), I was waiting to turn right and got hit by a car travelling at around 40mph, the impact shunted the Micra forward a couple of house lengths further down t he road. had to go through loads of hassle re: whiplash claim. I then discovered about 18 months or so back that the impact had fractured one of the vertebrae in my neck.

7 hours ago, strangeangel said:

Northern Fucking Rail. Last week I turned up for a train to work four minutes before it was due to leave, only to find it had already left. I filled in my Delay Repay claim for an hour's delay (the next train), only to be told by these chiselling bastards that because the train left within 15 minutes of the published time I can FRO.

Their spectacular record for lateness is a matter of public record, but I seriously can't believe that even a shower of twats like Northern think it's OK for a train to leave up to 15 minutes before the published time! Oh well, it only takes a few seconds to submit the (useless) appeal, and then I can forward it onto the Ombudsman, and they've over-ruled Northern every time I've referred anything to them.

To be honest, being late is one thing, but at least the passengers are waiting ready. 

Being early. Just fucking wait. In the station until the right time. It's not rocket science. 

1 hour ago, Parky said:

Reckon I will be a write off at this rate.  Back in the hospital.

Went to work Monday morning despite the pain in the neck and shoulders.  For the first time in my life I was scared being in a car, every other car on the road was just there to wipe me out.  A Merc pulled a ridiculous undertaking move on me, stopped over across two lanes forcing someone else to emergency brake who nearly swerved into me and with that I stopped on the hard shoulder and had a cry.  Cancelled my appointments and drove home slowly on side roads.

Developed incredible stomachache, as a Crohns sufferer I an prone to having problems when in stressful situations.  Pain got worse and worse until A&E was the only option as Morphine is the only thing that works during a proper flare up.  Came in at 8pm last night, got the morphia at 6am and that was only because the third doctor i spoke to took me seriously enough to check my records which clearly say “man is Crohns sufferer, is to be given morphia upon demand” despite being in crippling pain for the ten hours I was here (as well as the ten hours before coming in)

So haven’t slept for a couple of days, haven’t eaten since Saturday night, am heavily medicated in hospital.  

Mrs P didn’t actually give a shit about the car, when she heard what happened and saw that it wasn’t my fault she just shrugged it off.  Got the hire car yesterday (Black 5 door mini) and ours  is being picked up by their insurer Thursday.  I am assuming my insurance company is aware of all this happening.

Very angry with the other driver.  Yes, shit happens and at least nobodies seriously hurt but i am dosed up on morphia in hospital with a wrecked car on my drive.  He was unhurt and yes his car was wrecked but he will be at work having a normal life right now.  Not fucking fair. Just because he can’t control a car in the wet my life gets fucked about with.  Standing there shrugging his shoulders saying “ah well, one of those things!”

Cunt.  

Whilst I wouldn't wish any of this shit on anyone, that's going To be a very interesting personal injury claim.

I was a passenger in a car that crashed into a pedestrian (he later died) and then rolled into a ditch.  It was a week before I could cross a road without panicking. 

54 minutes ago, New POD said:

.... Being early. Just fucking wait. In the station until the right time. It's not rocket science. 

I wonder what caused the signallers to give it "line clear" that early? They must have got their paths or timetable mixed up. Driver wouldn't have been able to depart without either a yellow or green and that requires the signallers to set the path.

Fucking bastarding twatting Mazda!!! 

Having failed to fix the leak on the PAS cooler pipe, and not being able seemingly do do the bypass job because mechanically inept moron, two weeks ago I put it in the naughty corner and sulked at it. I bought a little hacksaw and some rubber pipe with the intentions of doing a bypass by cutting the metal pipe. Came to do it today and I cannot get enough access to get the hacksaw in there properly. It catches on everything. So small dent in the pipe but no actual cutting later. And I go eat tea. 

Ok Plan b, sleeve the pipes with my rubber pipe. Mrs_b said it wouldn’t work, and lo and behold it didn’t! The PAS fluid is now pissing absolutely everywhere and the half litre I put in is all over the drive within 90 seconds. 

I’m fed up of it now. Aargh. 

Hade a picture of it in the now usual position.

38B5A5E8-DFF6-4141-92B0-7410D82637E7.jpeg

1 minute ago, SiC said:

Cut the pipe with a Dremel or a pipe cutter?

Oh the rational side of me absolutely knows this is a case of me not having the right tools for the job, but hoping I can bodge it anyway. I’d just hoped id get it done easily tonight and it’d be done! 

Yet more Fucking Focus woes. I'm not sure if I'm imagining it or not, but I'm absolutely convinced it's started pulling to the left after hitting a bump in the road. 

Can't wait to ditch the bastard thing, I refuse to spend any money fixing it as that's coming out of my very limited new car fund. 

Fucking Focus. 

5 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

I wonder what caused the signallers to give it "line clear" that early? They must have got their paths or timetable mixed up. Driver wouldn't have been able to depart without either a yellow or green and that requires the signallers to set the path.

You're probably mistaking it for a proper railway, this is the Penistone Line (Sheffield - Huddersfield) so there's no tricky junctions or anything. I've known the fuckwits be early before, but this is the first time I've missed the train because of it.

I wouldn't trust Northern to open a tin of beans that was already open, far less run an actual, functioning railway.

15 hours ago, brownnova said:

Oh the rational side of me absolutely knows this is a case of me not having the right tools for the job, but hoping I can bodge it anyway. I’d just hoped id get it done easily tonight and it’d be done! 

I did that job on my 323F. Had to drop the front end, and use a hacksaw blade. Was painful, but I got there.

1 hour ago, Supernaut said:

Euro crap parts supplied me a totally incorrect rocker cover gasket, and I just discovered where the slight coolant leak is. The bottom of the radiator itself. Bumhats.

Rocker cover gasket was my fault. They had multiple options. Mine was at the very bottom of the page and many cheaps. Collect tomorrow.

Radiator ordered from GSF for £57.99, and coolant topped up in the meantime.

Attempts to check the actual oil level in the Dacia Logan 1.5 diesel taxi are proving to be ridiculously difficult. Car parked up on level ground overnight, withdraw dipstick and it has oil all over it. Wipe, re insert, withdraw and one side of the dipstick shows no oil while the other side has a smeary level just below max. Repeat the process and get another version of the same, ie nothing on one side but something on the other. It differs every time! As it usually comes out oily somewhere and no oil pressure warnings am fairly convinced that it has enough oil in. But FFS.The plastic outer tube is a narrow necked affair and is presumably wiping the dipstick on its way out. Silly. 

bastard bastard bastard

After a very frustrating week trying to source a (used) load sensing valve for the Corsa of despair, I am now faced with the issue that the brake pipes going into it seem to be bubble flared, not double flared, and at least one of the unions I wrenched from the leaky old device need replacing (threads have been crossed, and I've cut it and old flare off the end of the pipe now anyway)

What sort of flaring tool do I have? Double flare only. I need a tool that makes bubble flares...

Aside from the cost of many bubble flare tools (£150+), can I find anyone who stocks them in the UK, and can get one to me within 48 hours? Can I fuck. Ebay UK helpfully shows me loads of 'from the United States' listings every time I search it, each with the proud note "L@@@@k - we can get it to you fast and free in 7 days!" Seven days! Come on, make a fucking effort! I'm grasping at straws here now, wondering if 'bubble flare' is a septic-only term and I should be searching for 'ISO flare' or somesuch, but that just brings me up non-vehicle related plumbing tools....

bastard, bastard, bastard

1 hour ago, chodweaver said:

bastard bastard bastard

After a very frustrating week trying to source a (used) load sensing valve for the Corsa of despair, I am now faced with the issue that the brake pipes going into it seem to be bubble flared, not double flared, and at least one of the unions I wrenched from the leaky old device need replacing (threads have been crossed, and I've cut it and old flare off the end of the pipe now anyway)

What sort of flaring tool do I have? Double flare only. I need a tool that makes bubble flares...

Aside from the cost of many bubble flare tools (£150+), can I find anyone who stocks them in the UK, and can get one to me within 48 hours? Can I fuck. Ebay UK helpfully shows me loads of 'from the United States' listings every time I search it, each with the proud note "L@@@@k - we can get it to you fast and free in 7 days!" Seven days! Come on, make a fucking effort! I'm grasping at straws here now, wondering if 'bubble flare' is a septic-only term and I should be searching for 'ISO flare' or somesuch, but that just brings me up non-vehicle related plumbing tools....

bastard, bastard, bastard

Its a 4.75mm DIN flare I'm sure

flare-schematic-2.jpg[/img] 

Bubble?

I used to call that a single flare.

We had a Sykes flaring tool and there were two dies.

One had a hollow kind of cup shape with a locating peg in the middle, the other was a conical shape.

The hollow one did a single flare and squash it out with the conical one for a double flare.

What sort of tool are you using?