The grumpy thread

outlaw118

I know says I, i will pop over my Mums this morning.  Mrs P is away so i’ll take her Mini so I have something with a bit of oomph for a change.

Approaching a local roundabout at about 20mph when a Focus comes off the roundabout and starts sliding.  Spins one way, then the other and I am utterly powerless as I can see what’s coming.  Nanoseconds later I am surrounded by noise, broken glass and pain as a ton of Focus decides it wants to mate with my right hand side. 

I literally cannot believe it.  My wife’s baby, her pride and joy.  I couldn’t get out unsurprisingly.  Mini assistance called the emergency services who rang me a few minutes later to tell me they were a bit busy and would I mind getting the car shifted and the glass swept myself.  For fucks sake.  Bit shaky so having a cup of sweet tea at home.  Not sure what’s bothering me more, the pain in my shoulders, the headache, or what to tell Mrs P....

38C682C3-BD3D-4031-B700-F56DCCFA48D6.jpeg

95F8C08E-781E-4160-A151-4E99C5EAC0E9.jpeg

The annoying thing - its a 40 mph road, and an Audi in front of me was pissing along at 20.  If he had done a more normal speed, I wouldn’t have been in that spot when the Focus came off the roundabout.  God I wish I had taken the Leon instead, that wouldn’t have mattered although it has a lot less safety kit so I might be in an Ambulance now

6 hours ago, Parky said:

I know says I, i will pop over my Mums this morning.  Mrs P is away so i’ll take her Mini so I have something with a bit of oomph for a change.

Approaching a local roundabout at about 20mph when a Focus comes off the roundabout and starts sliding.  Spins one way, then the other and I am utterly powerless as I can see what’s coming.  Nanoseconds later I am surrounded by noise, broken glass and pain as a ton of Focus decides it wants to mate with my right hand side. 

I literally cannot believe it.  My wife’s baby, her pride and joy.  I couldn’t get out unsurprisingly.  Mini assistance called the emergency services who rang me a few minutes later to tell me they were a bit busy and would I mind getting the car shifted and the glass swept myself.  For fucks sake.  Bit shaky so having a cup of sweet tea at home.  Not sure what’s bothering me more, the pain in my shoulders, the headache, or what to tell Mrs P....

I liked this because your wife's pride and joy did it's job sterlingly. Given the forces involved to push in that door like that (a big metal beam is in that door) and you can just walk away, it's good job that you were in a modern car. 

Just tell your wife that if you weren't in it, you could be dead or crippled. Which, hopefully, she will see as a much worse outcome than a bent car.

Just hit 59998 miles on my Focus (no I haven't just twatted the side of a cream Mini, before you ask. Same Focus, different (worse) colour), so to celebrate the 60k milestone it's rewarded me with a new rattly noise on startup. Woohoo!

Well I am back from Basildon Hospital having spent five hours on a spinal board.  I was advised to have someone check me over as my vision was becoming blurry, I felt sick, and my head had walloped the side of the car so I had a splitting headache,  

Initial once over suggested I had some neck damage so being better safe than sorry they assumed a spinal fracture.  CT scan revealed soft tissue damage but importantly nothing cracked and no damage to my skull.  I am going to be very sore tomorrow for sure.  

I think the focus was being driven like an arsehole.  They guy tried to convince me there must have been diesel on the road (there wasn’t) as I asked him how come every other fucker is getting through there ok.  I was going to look at his tyres but in amongst the shock, Mini Central calling me every 30 seconds and the Police being unhelpful as the traffic built up I didn’t get round to it.  What’s good is he admitted liability at the scene, his insurers called me to admit full liability and confirmed that in writing and the car is being collected by them for repair tomorrow.  They are also delivering a courtesy car at 10am so full marks to Privelege.  ESure claims don’t work Sundays so my insurer has been as useful as a chocolate fire guard so far.  

Privilege also encouraged me to make a personal injury claim.  I may do this as Mrs P will be home in two hours and is going to rip my balls off....

I was definitely out for the count for a minute.  I remember the impact and the other driver knocking at my window but nothing in between.  It would have taken him at least a minute to park and get back over to me so I reckon I was either unconscious or stunned.  I do think I was lucky to be in a modern rather than an old Starlet or similar as I probably would have spent much longer in the hospital

1 hour ago, SiC said:

I liked this because your wife's pride and joy did it's job sterlingly. Given the forces involved to push in that door like that (a big metal beam is in that door) and you can just walk away, it's good job that you were in a modern car. 

Just tell your wife that if you weren't in it, you could be dead or crippled. Which, hopefully, she will see as a much worse outcome than a bent car.

Thing is I think the car has pretty much got away with serious damage.  The sill is untouched, it drove straight and apart from bleeping at me to tell  me the airbags had deployed (cheers, I had noticed when one detonated against my face) I reckon a door and a three quarter skin might be all it needs.  No impact on the wheels so the suspension shouldn’t be misaligned (unless the impact has banana’d the whole thing).

To quote Arkwright, it’s been a funny old day.....

8 hours ago, Parky said:

All the best to you mate.  That looks properly shit.  I'm not one to support being litigious but there is definitely a personal injury claim in this one...

12 minutes ago, Parky said:

Thing is I think the car has pretty much got away with serious damage.  The sill is untouched, it drove straight and apart from bleeping at me to tell  me the airbags had deployed (cheers, I had noticed when one detonated against my face) I reckon a door and a three quarter skin might be all it needs.  No impact on the wheels so the suspension shouldn’t be misaligned (unless the impact has banana’d the whole thing).

To quote Arkwright, it’s been a funny old day.....

Almost certain that will be a write off.

Door, rear quarter (spot welded on?), paint, hinges, probably door card and then fix the airbag system. As airbags have gone off they usually want to replace all of them for safety and airbag wiring (due to high current through them). Then airbag computer as activated (dealer tools), airbag sensors (from high loads) and all the trim around the deployed airbags. Also the airbag explosive residue dust will need thoroughly cleaning out. 

Even though it's a very new car, it's easy for an insurance repairer to get that to half value very quickly. After which if there is anything else not found till later, that'll be additional cost. Plus the costs associated with a replacement hire car during all that time. Much easier, less hassle and quicker for an insurance company to just write it off. Which if they do, they'll get a decent amount of money for it too as a write off in auction due to being new. 

Just keep a look out for it on the Low cost, big liability thread...

3 minutes ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

All the best to you mate.  That looks properly shit.  I'm not one to support being litigious but there is definitely a personal injury claim in this one...

I am no ambulance chaser but this fucker could have killed me.  If nothing else he has left me with a colossal headache, whiplash, created hassle with the missus and left me with a load of paperwork and admin not to mention a disabled car which I saved up for and have owned for less than three months.  All because he drove like a total bellend.  I really don’t see why I should lose out because of other people’s incompetence.

The twat who hit my Leon earlier this year is refusing to pay out because she thinks the damage she caused shouldn’t cost as much as i am saying.  It’s not me love, that’s what things cost. I haven’t gone the insurance route yet as the car will be written off for sure and it’s worth more to me with a dent than a few hundred quid settlement cheque.

I think maybe I should utilise the insurance I have been paying for for the last 30 years or so

3 minutes ago, SiC said:

Almost certain that will be a write off.

Door, rear quarter (spot welded on?), paint, hinges, probably door card and then fix the airbag system. As airbags have gone off they usually want to replace all of them for safety and airbag wiring (due to high current through them). Then airbag computer as activated (dealer tools), airbag sensors (from high loads) and all the trim around the deployed airbags. Also the airbag explosive residue dust will need thoroughly cleaning out. 

Even though it's a very new car, it's easy for an insurance repairer to get that to half value very quickly. After which if there is anything else not found till later, that'll be additional cost. Plus the costs associated with a replacement hire car during all that time. Much easier, less hassle and quicker for an insurance company to just write it off. Which if they do, they'll get a decent amount of money for it too as a write off in auction due to being new. 

Just keep a look out for it on the Low cost, big liability thread...

Well it was nearly 19 grand in July so I would be surprised if the damage costs half of that but we’ll find out soon enough.  

I think so.  Some people deserve to get the fucking book thrown at them.  It's a serious collision and as others have said, a modern car may have saved your life - or really serious injury in this instance.  Makes me think twice about wanting an old car.

Lady Grumpius got pranged today by other people being a total bellend.  Cracked bumper to her and the other car is worse off (18-plate Fiat 500).  Out of principle, she's going to claim because they were acting like twats going too fast down a country lane and rear-ended her Focus when she was parking in a driveway.  No major damage to anyone - but that's not the point

8 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

At least the airbags worked,  and you're still here. Next is the insurance claim and compo for personal injury...

And the side impact bars. Glad you're safe and (relatively) OK chap.  I don't like to think about what a hit like that would have done to the Ami...

Last addition on this for tonight - check this out - shows it was more than just a glancing blow.  Look at the buckling on that!

If I had been in something like my old Renault 5 with the structural integrity of a shoebox....Well I dread to think

F926306E-D0AA-45F0-89D7-0326453936E9.jpeg

5 hours ago, Parky said:

Well I am back from Basildon Hospital having spent five hours on a spinal board.  I was advised to have someone check me over as my vision was becoming blurry, I felt sick, and my head had walloped the side of the car so I had a splitting headache,  

Initial once over suggested I had some neck damage so being better safe than sorry they assumed a spinal fracture.  CT scan revealed soft tissue damage but importantly nothing cracked and no damage to my skull.  I am going to be very sore tomorrow for sure.  

I think the focus was being driven like an arsehole.  They guy tried to convince me there must have been diesel on the road (there wasn’t) as I asked him how come every other fucker is getting through there ok.  I was going to look at his tyres but in amongst the shock, Mini Central calling me every 30 seconds and the Police being unhelpful as the traffic built up I didn’t get round to it.  What’s good is he admitted liability at the scene, his insurers called me to admit full liability and confirmed that in writing and the car is being collected by them for repair tomorrow.  They are also delivering a courtesy car at 10am so full marks to Privelege.  ESure claims don’t work Sundays so my insurer has been as useful as a chocolate fire guard so far.  

Privilege also encouraged me to make a personal injury claim.  I may do this as Mrs P will be home in two hours and is going to rip my balls off....

I was definitely out for the count for a minute.  I remember the impact and the other driver knocking at my window but nothing in between.  It would have taken him at least a minute to park and get back over to me so I reckon I was either unconscious or stunned.  I do think I was lucky to be in a modern rather than an old Starlet or similar as I probably would have spent much longer in the hospital

Privilege are encouraging you to make a injury claim as it means they pay you £x, rather than paying you £x AND a solicitor ££££y. They might even pay you £x + a bit more, to ensure you don't go to a solicitor.

It also means a solicitor won't be taking z% of your £x-they do that now, filthy bastards. 

Don't put an order in for a Ferrari yet though, whiplash isn't the golden egg it used to be; however, it sounds pretty certain you've hit your head and lost consciousness, so may well have a subtle brain injury-the hurty neck doctor Privilege initially send you to should pick up on that and suggest you see someone else too. 

I'm glad that you've come out of that relatively unscathed @Parky; could have been a hell of a lot worse. Keep us up to date and seek medical advice if you start to feel a bit wobbly again.

Meanwhile I noticed this while I was in the yard this morning

IMG_7922.thumb.JPG.6f1a9819a60322959c18792f8326730f.JPG

A full rainbow sprouting out of the freighter I was going to run up to a crew that had broken down.

Within 10 minutes I was puking and farting out fizzy gravy, then sent home. Rainbow must have been a bad omen.

Gah.

9 hours ago, robinmasters said:

Privilege are encouraging you to make a injury claim as it means they pay you £x, rather than paying you £x AND a solicitor ££££y. They might even pay you £x + a bit more, to ensure you don't go to a solicitor.

It also means a solicitor won't be taking z% of your £x-they do that now, filthy bastards. 

Don't put an order in for a Ferrari yet though, whiplash isn't the golden egg it used to be; however, it sounds pretty certain you've hit your head and lost consciousness, so may well have a subtle brain injury-the hurty neck doctor Privilege initially send you to should pick up on that and suggest you see someone else too. 

If nothing else it will start a medical paper trail in case anything happens 6 months/a year down the line.....

The ST170 is definitely off.

I went over to the yard on Saturday morning. After a lengthy wait for the parts guy to finish what he was doing, I was greeted with this properly rude bloke who then proceeded to tell me that the car wouldn’t be sold as a whole. I then asked for some model-specific parts from that car. He then pointed to another ST170 and said he’d get them off that one. I then left after that. On the way out, I looked up at the ST170 and it still had the dealer plates that I put on it in 2004.

I’m after an ST170 estate really so if anyone knows of one going then I’d be interested.

5 hours ago, dozeydustman said:

@Parky

Within 10 minutes I was puking and farting out fizzy gravy, then sent home. Rainbow must have been a bad omen.

Gah.

I was the same all last night. So was Mrs Imp, so we were 5 minute taking turns in the bathroom before getting kicked out so that the other could start ralphing loudly. Thank god Imp jr was not affected as I'm not sure how I'd have coped, might've had to put him in care or something.

Getting him to school this morning was an epic task. 

I've just sat on the sofa all day watching shit 70s and 80s tv programmes. TJ Hooker was fucking awful wasn't it.