The grumpy thread

outlaw118

5 hours ago, Snipes said:

Why do politicians and journalists insist on saying "the island of Ireland"? Drives me crazy. 

One way of pretending Partition never happened in 1921? Ireland / Hibernia is an island, though, and that reflects the geographical reality, if not the political one.

On my way into work this morning in the next village two police cars and an ambulance are blocking the entrance to the primary school.There is another ambulance and another police car on the opposite side of the road.One policeman is clearing debris from the middle of the opposite lane.There is an Audi with slight bumper and headlight damage on it's nearside also in the entrance to the school. Doesn't appear to be any other vehicles involved so at that time of the morning with that amount of emergency vehicles I fear either pedestrian or cyclist. It is 20mph there and also a blind crest but the amount of vehicles that hurtle along at 40ish without a thought as to what is the other side of the crest ,and often across the white line ,is astounding.

After spending serious dosh on the dogs yesterday , good old vets giving them both their MOTs and maintenance for the year, Phoebe has somehow managed to hurt her bloody leg, again! She was fine all day, out at the park happily playing in the bushes as usual, but at some point in the evening she hurt her front right leg - I didn't even see/hear her do it! So up most of the night with her while she squeeks and whinges. When she does this, she can't walk at all so I really have to be 'good daddy' and help her in every way I can as one leg out of four (none of which are any cop!) that don't work means she is pretty fucked!

Back to the vets, leg in bandages and supports and she is confined to bed rest. You should have heard the noise when I took Chester out without her,  even though she can't get up to complain and her ball is in no danger of being played with.

Bloody dogs!

1 hour ago, GrumpyCat said:

19164664-7525869-image-a-3_1569948148361

Car stopped by Police on school run in Derby apparently. How on earth does a tyre end up like that? I know a lot of people aren't 'car people', but that must be obvious to anyone that the tyre is fucked. FFS.

Hi, ...And it's drivers side, not like it's the other side of the car where they might not see it.

Colin

ST170 idea may be off.

I’ve sent emails, messages on Facebook and a text and I’ve not heard anything back from them, just an automated ‘we will respond soon’ message. FFS. Even a reply saying no would be okay, I hate being ignored.

Its at Assington Autos near Sudbury if anyone is interested. Le sigh.

On 9/24/2019 at 6:26 PM, NorfolkNWeigh said:

Some of the crap these people come out with ( magnetic sensors that can identify individual cars ,every 100 m on every bit of Smart motorway ,that automatically set the overhead signs, for instance)  beggars belief. 

Oi, that was literally my university dissertation you bastard. 

1 hour ago, greengartside said:

ST170 idea may be off.

I’ve sent emails, messages on Facebook and a text and I’ve not heard anything back from them, just an automated ‘we will respond soon’ message. FFS. Even a reply saying no would be okay, I hate being ignored.

Its at Assington Autos near Sudbury if anyone is interested. Le sigh.

Telephone call? 

You’ll get taken 100x more seriously man. 

My backs gone. Can barely walk, when I do I can only waddle like an old man. It doesn't bode well for mending the car if it doesn't get better in the next few days. Bunch of frail arse mate.
Me and the Mrs both did our backs last weekend... (get your minds out of the gutter) emptying a lock up (ours, I hasten to add). Worst I've ever done my back - still on nurofen three days later - worried it was permanent damage - until I did the exercises in the page linked below. Honestly - made a world of a difference, immediately.

https://www.healthline.com/health/pulled-muscle-in-lower-back

Sent from my BV6000 using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, GrumpyCat said:

19164664-7525869-image-a-3_1569948148361

Car stopped by Police on school run in Derby apparently. How on earth does a tyre end up like that? I know a lot of people aren't 'car people', but that must be obvious to anyone that the tyre is fucked. FFS.

Mackworth? Or Allenton? 

Probably works as a stress engineer on turbine blades and it trying to model early cracking issues on Trent 1000. Too busy at work to get to a garage. 

I realise that this has been grumped about before, but it made me considerably grumpy last week.

Called into the larger branch of Home Bargains nearby for some stuff. Stuff has disappeared and entire aisles full of Christmas things. Went to our local garden centre for a few bags of gravel and over half of the indoor bit is set out as a winter wonderland with animated polar bears, an animated Santa band playing and Christmas lights in false Chistmas trees covered in fake snow. This was on Saturday THE 28TH OF SEPTEMBER .

A few plastic skeletons around in the garden centre as a nod to hallowe'en. Which is still a month away. FFS. 

Oh get over it.

We play the shops at their own game. All our gifts are purchased & wrapped, The cards are written, addressed and stamped. The food is all planned, the rellies have all been invited. We are totally sorted. I've started to do the weekly shop in my xmas jumper which really pisses them off in Tesco. By the time the 1st of dec comes round I'll be able to simply pop the cards in the post and get the pre-assembled tree out of its box. Then we can really begin to ENJOY the whole of the xmas month. We have treats booked for every weekend from afternoon teas, to long walks with pubs at the end, long walks with proper breakfasts at the beginning, there's even a knees up organised in the camper van, under the car port where we can give the new Propex a proper work out. The actual 25th just a formality.

Let me be the first to wish everyone on here a very Merry xmas everyone.

17 hours ago, chodweaver said:

Me and the Mrs both did our backs last weekend... (get your minds out of the gutter) emptying a lock up (ours, I hasten to add). Worst I've ever done my back - still on nurofen three days later - worried it was permanent damage - until I did the exercises in the page linked below. Honestly - made a world of a difference, immediately.

https://www.healthline.com/health/pulled-muscle-in-lower-back

Sent from my BV6000 using Tapatalk

I'll give them a crack tonight, ta. 

Fucking pension companies 

It seems yes you can access your pension at 55 , but you now need "financial advice" before you're allowed to withdraw any of it , even the 25% tax free amount

The cost of this advice from the pension company 3% of the pension pot , so £300 per £10,000 

What a bunch of cunts they are 

27 minutes ago, Wack said:

Fucking pension companies 

It seems yes you can access your pension at 55 , but you now need "financial advice" before you're allowed to withdraw any of it , even the 25% tax free amount

The cost of this advice from the pension company 3% of the pension pot , so £300 per £10,000 

What a bunch of cunts they are 

I'm sure you can pay an independent by the hour.  I'm not sure I'd trust any of them. 

The thing is what are they going to tell you for their 3% , yes taking 25% out at 55 will reduce your monthly amount, no shit sherlock

They can't tell you how much because it's "invested" so if Robert Maxwell is anything to go by you could be left with 75% of fuck all instead of 100% of fuck all

I really really wish I'd put every penny of it into buying a house in 1990 instead of a pension , I'd have been minted  

Yep, it's an expensive thing is that pensions business. One place I spoke to weren't even interested in my pot because it 'wasn't enough for us to deal with'. It might have been fuck all to them, but it was a huge amount to someone skint like me. Fuck them, went elsewhere and my other pension fund will follow suit.

2 hours ago, Cavcraft said:

Yep, it's an expensive thing is that pensions business. One place I spoke to weren't even interested in my pot because it 'wasn't enough for us to deal with'. It might have been fuck all to them, but it was a huge amount to someone skint like me. Fuck them, went elsewhere and my other pension fund will follow suit.

My pension fund was decimated in the InEquitable Life scandal many years ago. Lost about £20,000. Many years later,  compensation was set at £260. I was tempted to use the cheque as toilet paper. 

3 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

My pension fund was decimated in the InEquitable Life scandal many years ago. Lost about £20,000. Many years later,  compensation was set at £260. I was tempted to use the cheque as toilet paper. 

My Dad lost his pension in the same scandal. His retirement has been ruined.