The grumpy thread

outlaw118

3 minutes ago, Kiltox said:

Passed this no bother and to restore the balance karma has rewarded me with a leaking toilet in my nearly new home. Loving life. 

Previewing this post before opening the thread, came here hoping not to see stools.

Good work.  What cert?

On 9/25/2019 at 6:31 PM, vulgalour said:

Has the engine shop called me to say the Princess head job is done today like they promised on Monday?  Have they?  Of course they haven't.  This either means getting an early call tomorrow saying it's done and apologies for the delay (unlikely), or I'll turn up and they'll try and get more time out of me to complete the job.  I think two months is plenty of time to insert a pipe into a hole, I begin to think I would've been better off trying to do it myself at this point.

Oh, and the BX is letting water in on the passenger side somewhere that isn't the windscreen, it seems to be coming through the passenger door somehow, I just can't figure out how.  The recent downpour highlighted the issue, not a serious one, but still annoying.  I hate water ingress, it's always a palaver to locate.

Bit late here, but door seals are a favourite leak point on BXs, and not always the one next to where the puddle is...

Ah yeah it’s the biggest thing putting me off bothering with CISSP - they’re robbing bastards. 

Splunk make their training courses pre-requisite for exams though - if I’d failed today I would’ve had to resit a few training courses at a grand each!  Shouldn’t need to going forward but because it was certifying using the new exam process for the first time you only had until Oct 1 to pass. 

32 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

Bit late here, but door seals are a favourite leak point on BXs, and not always the one next to where the puddle is...

Funny you should say that because we think we found the leak earlier today. It looks like the passenger door seal is letting water in right on the a pillar to sill seam and the water is then going under the carpet and sitting right in the middle of the footwell.  It's not a lot, it only happens when its absolutely chucking it down, and checking in the car while it's raining has shown it's not coming through the windscreen or anything daft like that.  I'll pull off the seal, inspect, and reseat, see if that improves matters.  The driver's door seal is often wet around the top when it's been chucking it down but doesn't seem to let any water actually into the car, though that might explain the window on that door fogging up as fast as it does sometimes.  Old car nonsense, nothing cracking a window open can't solve most of the time.

13 hours ago, HH-R said:

Not had that fucking Jazz a month yet and the bastard exhaust has snapped. £270 FFS. Every month there's some unexpected shit to pay for, isn't there? Makes you wonder what the fucking point is sometimes.

Snapped where? What Jazz (GD? GE?) and what exhaust? (front?/middle?/rear?/full?) Seems a lot, but some garages are lazy bastards when it comes to splitting front/middle.

It's a GD I think? The early one. The garage quoted for back and centre section but I can't see a hole in the back bit anywhere. It's snapped just where the pipe comes out of the centre silencer. I'm gonna try somewhere else and see if they will just do the centre.

13 hours ago, New POD said:

What would it cost them if he said no? 

There's a reason why occasionally hourly rates go through the roof in engineering.

Penalty clauses for not hitting a deadline. 

I don't know but they'd probably get a slightly smaller quote from somebody that they don't know, doesn't know the equipment and isn't DBS checked  (this is a public event including dozens of child performers).  Either way, it's a fuckton of hassle if they do say no to me - but I don't really care.  In the last six months they've taken advantage of my kindness and haven't even bothered to acknowledge me handing my notice in - short of advertising for my job.  I've been there nearly three years, and the Grand Overlord knows exactly who I am - I just think he's a rude prick.

1 hour ago, 155V6 said:

Just dropped Miss_155 off at home.She was going to be helping out at a charity cake sale this morning,but has just found out that her eldest son was randomly beaten up on the way home early this morning,& needs to go to A&E.It doesn't even look like anything was stolen.

Oh dear.  I do hope everything turns out ok and they catch the bastard that did it.

As a taxi 'owner' driver working for Whiteside Taxis I recently joined the team that does the long distance airport and corporate account work rather than just the local jobs. My car is a 19 reg Dacia Logan MCV diesel. Apparently these come with 3 years or 60,000 miles free AA breakdown cover but mine had no windscreen sticker/contact number or indeed any evidence that it did. Clearly doing airport jobs means that customers need to get there on time and any breakdowns etc need fairly immediate assistance.The manager at Whiteside rang Arnold Clarke who supplied the car and was told that I just needed to call in to get the car registered as it did indeed have full breakdown cover. 

I called in to the dealer, explained the situation and was greeted by blank looks from the receptionist. "Errr, hang on, I will get Paul"

Paul shows up after five minutes, speaks to the receptionist and they both rummage in a drawer looking for the windscreen sticker, find one and head over. The receptionist stops Paul, tells him the phone number is for Renault and not Dacia so back he goes....

Paul goes to a nearby Dacia in the showroom to look at the window sticker, crosses out the number and writes a new one in felt tip pen on my sticker.

"Stick that in your window mate, just ring if you break down" 

Hardly inspires confidence does it? Cheers Arnold. As I have my own personal breakdown cover I am not overly concerned, but really? 

1 hour ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

In my own defence, the listing said it was coming from London. However, the reciept said China... didn't know they had started copying our towns and cities but as they copy everything else, I guess I shouldn't be surprised!

35 minutes ago, xtriple said:

In my own defence, the listing said it was coming from London. However, the reciept said China... didn't know they had started copying our towns and cities but as they copy everything else, I guess I shouldn't be surprised!

Chinese traders usually have stock all over the place. They also manipulate processes to evade VAT and other inconveniences. 

4 hours ago, Bobthebeard said:

As a taxi 'owner' driver working for Whiteside Taxis I recently joined the team that does the long distance airport and corporate account work rather than just the local jobs. My car is a 19 reg Dacia Logan MCV diesel. Apparently these come with 3 years or 60,000 miles free AA breakdown cover but mine had no windscreen sticker/contact number or indeed any evidence that it did. Clearly doing airport jobs means that customers need to get there on time and any breakdowns etc need fairly immediate assistance.The manager at Whiteside rang Arnold Clarke who supplied the car and was told that I just needed to call in to get the car registered as it did indeed have full breakdown cover. 

I called in to the dealer, explained the situation and was greeted by blank looks from the receptionist. "Errr, hang on, I will get Paul"

Paul shows up after five minutes, speaks to the receptionist and they both rummage in a drawer looking for the windscreen sticker, find one and head over. The receptionist stops Paul, tells him the phone number is for Renault and not Dacia so back he goes....

Paul goes to a nearby Dacia in the showroom to look at the window sticker, crosses out the number and writes a new one in felt tip pen on my sticker.

Hardly inspires confidence does it? Cheers Arnold. As I have my own personal breakdown cover I am not overly concerned, but really? 

Good old Arnold Shark! Who says customer service is dead?

Although the terms and conditions of the warranty probably disallow a taxi.  And they'll tell you that after the £2k gearbox replacement. 

They might well not provide that cover for taxi/private hire use anyway - definitely check 

20 hours ago, vulgalour said:

Funny you should say that because we think we found the leak earlier today. It looks like the passenger door seal is letting water in right on the a pillar to sill seam and the water is then going under the carpet and sitting right in the middle of the footwell.  It's not a lot, it only happens when its absolutely chucking it down, and checking in the car while it's raining has shown it's not coming through the windscreen or anything daft like that.  I'll pull off the seal, inspect, and reseat, see if that improves matters.  The driver's door seal is often wet around the top when it's been chucking it down but doesn't seem to let any water actually into the car, though that might explain the window on that door fogging up as fast as it does sometimes.  Old car nonsense, nothing cracking a window open can't solve most of the time.

When I get a minute (and I'm not busy wasting money on shipping crap Russian scooters from Latvia) the door seals on my BX will have to be replaced. Both drivers side and passenger side front door tops leak, and I think the rear ones are knackered too, as not long ago I found woodlice and some sort of mange living in the rear footwells. This car seems to have lived a charmed life with regard to rot, so I really should get on with this.