The grumpy thread

outlaw118

6 minutes ago, Garythesnail said:

One day, I hope to be as successful as you at husbanding. Sounds like she has a good one.

Im not perfect. Occassionally i dont really forward think. But recently it's been like George and Fucking Mildred. 

This evening she is with her friend whose husband recently was found out cheating and is now living in his car or a bed-sit or something. 

This sorry story has only served to add fuel to her questioning my commitment to her any time she feels a bit low. 

Quite frankly, I understand why blokes stray but to be honest I couldn't be arsed with the stress. 

13 hours ago, Spiny Norman said:

In our store, yes.
The through-put of customers bewildered and befuddled by their shenanigans and the staff required to guide them through the procedure was less efficient than having someone on £8.50 an hour on an actual check out.

I suspect in B&Q every other item is also blade edged, contains VOCs, aerosols etc. and flags up because of checking the age of the purchaser.

9 hours ago, New POD said:

Im not perfect. Occassionally i dont really forward think. But recently it's been like George and Fucking Mildred. 

This evening she is with her friend whose husband recently was found out cheating and is now living in his car or a bed-sit or something. 

This sorry story has only served to add fuel to her questioning my commitment to her any time she feels a bit low. 

Quite frankly, I understand why blokes stray but to be honest I couldn't be arsed with the stress. 

I always think one of the reasons I'm now single is I was no good with the mental health stuff... Which is an issue when my ex had health issues. 

15 hours ago, Cavcraft said:

My daughter backed into someone's van before, literally just touched bumpers. No damage (agreed by both sides) and in a private car park. She rang her insurance 'just in case' and the shitty bastards said she'll lose her no claims. She (or the van owner) hasn't even made a claim, FFS. 

I had this years ago.  Young kid, cycle, wrong side of road downhill.  I stopped. He hit the front of my car and went over the roof landing on grass.

I took him and a mangled bike home. He told his dad it was his fault. I reported it 'to be on the safe side'.

My premium went up. I got a letter from the kids dad to say that no claim would ever be made.

My premium was reduced. Worth a try maybe.

I love it when work tries to take the piss, a new policy doc magically appears that makes me responsible for H&S for an entire different section with a lot of high risk stuff and shit loads of paperwork. When annoys me is that they try and bullshit when they got caught out saying it’s been like that for ages and that I agreed it. So just waiting for them to supply me the signed copy or the email where I agreed it. Looking forward to what bullshit they will come up with now, Twats.

Things like this and listening to the stuff my wife and kids complain about makes me glad I haven't had a job for the last 27 years. The occaisional wobble about not having enough money after a quiet month or minor jealousy about holiday pay is nothing compared to the stress having to make it through a day without twatting some cunt for behaving like this.

Taking the wife for a check up, a brick pillar outside a neighbours house has been pushed over and round the corner a fuckton of waste has been flytipped, including a full pallet of glue or something. 

Folk who do this sort of stuff to the neighbourhood need to be put on a decommissioned ferry, towed to the middle of the Atlantic and torpedoed. 

And don’t get me started on dog fouling. 

I've been asked to tech a show at my (soon-to-be-old) job.  Snag for them is that I would have left by then.  Annoyingly, it's three days of show and a Sunday rehearsal the week before on top of a new full-time job.

I don't really want to do it but I can probably negotiate a good freelance rate.  I'm thinking £35 per hour.  So grumpy because I've now been asked and don't really want to - but entertained because I have them over a barrel...

33 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Not sure what level of tech is involved (sound? light?) but do you know the going freelance rate - is £35 is enough?

Sound.  I've been looking at a couple of Unions (MU and BECTU).  Neither of them fit exactly with what I'm doing but the MU musician hourly rate is £41.50.  I do some side work in my current job for £30 - which is roughly the old MU rate for peripatetic music teachers (it's a bit more now).  £35 is around what I was thinking, plus travel.  Which gets me to quite a nice, round number.

The last freelance gig I did I was DSM at a theatre (dance show) and got paid £500 for four shows and a rehearsal.  That was slightly under but I didn't mind because I knew them and was a student at the dance school.  I'm leaving my current employer partly because of their low pay rate, so I think I'll quote them £35 an hour.  And that's being nice.  Depending on how they approach me, I might decide to charge the full MU rate.  I don't really care if I do it or not...

4 hours ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

I've been asked to tech a show at my (soon-to-be-old) job.  Snag for them is that I would have left by then.  Annoyingly, it's three days of show and a Sunday rehearsal the week before on top of a new full-time job.

I don't really want to do it but I can probably negotiate a good freelance rate.  I'm thinking £35 per hour.  So grumpy because I've now been asked and don't really want to - but entertained because I have them over a barrel...

They're pricks, you're doing them a favour, it's not your problem any more and you'd rather be somewhere else; £50/hr at least. :D

52 minutes ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

Entirely depends on how they ask me, I think...

Please don't undervalue yourself. 

I don't often post but my hourly rate has gone from £45 to £75 and I can count on the finger of no hands how many customers have said "sorry, too much" .

You're doing them a favour... not the other way around.

On 9/26/2019 at 8:04 PM, Tamworthbay said:

I love it when work tries to take the piss, a new policy doc magically appears that makes me responsible for H&S for an entire different section with a lot of high risk stuff and shit loads of paperwork. When annoys me is that they try and bullshit when they got caught out saying it’s been like that for ages and that I agreed it. So just waiting for them to supply me the signed copy or the email where I agreed it. Looking forward to what bullshit they will come up with now, Twats.

This. This has happened to me before. When I was hack in my old job, I got an email stating that I hadn't had completed a job that was never listed the previous day.  I argued the toss with the office manager for a few hours. Then they had a meeting with the owner and my manager. There was talk of asking me to leave that day and terminate my contract but my manager managed to save my job.

Glad I'm outta there.  Office work seems to just get more and more toxic. Even way back when when my Gran started an office job it was pretty shit then.

3 hours ago, somewhatfoolish said:

They're pricks, you're doing them a favour, it's not your problem any more and you'd rather be somewhere else; £50/hr at least. :D

What would it cost them if he said no? 

There's a reason why occasionally hourly rates go through the roof in engineering.

Penalty clauses for not hitting a deadline. 

13 hours ago, Kiltox said:

Sitting a certification renewal exam this morning that I’m not even slightly prepared for and if I fail will cost me a good few grand. Joy. 

Passed this no bother and to restore the balance karma has rewarded me with a leaking toilet in my nearly new home. Loving life.