The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Pretty much every time I pick my missus up, a couple of black cab drivers park just in the way enough to be a sodding nuisance, but not quite enough to entirely block people off.  Each time this happens I park with my exhaust as close as possible to them (they're either in their cars with the windows open, or stood next to each other talking) and gently start revving my car up, a little bit more every time. It works better when they're in their cars as the veg oil smoke is fucking horrible and they quickly close their windows or go. Today, one was visibly coughing his bollocks off outside his car. let's see if they're still there tomorrow.  

The trip 'O meter thing in the Rover has been gradually creeping up throughout this tankful, peaking at 35.3 mpg. Imagine my disappoint when I refilled the tank and proper maths resulted in a slightly crappy 24 mpg. I appreciate that I've a blocked breather that will be sorted on Monday, but what is the point of such optimism from the car's computer.

The early days of Heart FM saw “Unbreak my heart” by Toni Braxton played many many times a day.  I associate this with doing my kitchen in my Billericay house just before my then fiancée fucked off with my best mate.  So happy memories of that.

Nightshifts at Sainsbury’s over Christmas 1992 were horrendous.  That was “Sleeping Satellite” by Tamsin Archer. Shit time.

”Easy Lover” by Phil Collins and Phil Bailey reminds me of when my depression first started.

They can all get in the sea

Adele - Her first song (which I really cannot be arsed to remember) was played over and over a few years ago, in fact, it was once played twice over on a radio station (probably because the DJ needed to go to the toilet or something)

In the various places I worked at, if there was a radio and songs got repeated 3 or 4 times a day, it got switched over to another station.

48 minutes ago, Parky said:

The early days of Heart FM saw “Unbreak my heart” by Toni Braxton played many many times a day.  I associate this with doing my kitchen in my Billericay house just before my then fiancée fucked off with my best mate.  So happy memories of that.

Nightshifts at Sainsbury’s over Christmas 1992 were horrendous.  That was “Sleeping Satellite” by Tamsin Archer. Shit time.

”Easy Lover” by Phil Collins and Phil Bailey reminds me of when my depression first started.

When I started at my last job, they had stereos in every unit, turned up to full volume so it swamped the noise of the machines and clipping badly.

Tuned to Metro Radio, same shit repeated every 90 minutes and featuring Britney Spear's "Toxic".  And toxic it all was too.

Until they found that they may have to pay for public performances licenses.  All in the skip in very short order.

There was a hidden Pioneer one that I was supposed to bin ,but kept it hidden, meaning to spirit it away one day.  That day never came.

1 hour ago, Parky said:

There was a point in 2006 where "Put Your Records On" by Corinne Bailey Rae was played non-stop by every radio station in London.

Even now I can recall a journey where that fucking song was played 4 or 5 times in less than 3 hours, with each repeat being more painful than the last.

I still hate it, but thankfully it doesn't much airtime anymore (although my mum did buy me a copy of Corinne Bailey Rae's album as a joke when Woolworths closed down, which to this day has never been played). 

FFS this evening I've had a major breakthrough with stepmiss_dustman as part of being a stepdad (massive hug, first time in 6 years of being there for her she tells me she loves me), and Mrs_d has gone all introvert, stupid and emotional for no other reason apart from if we do have a baby despite our fertility issues it will be autistic or have downs or cerebral palsy because of our age, and if we go adoption we'll probably be lumbered with some 10 year old problem child for which one of us will need to stop working.

FFS woman! It's rare of me to come up with such an outburst of "FFS woman". I've had such a lovely evening so far, why on earth would the wife want anyone let alone me to end it with something like that??

Sofa is beckoning methinks 

2 hours ago, Parky said:

Sorry, but I like all of those three. ?

Tasmin Archer has such a wonderful voice, and I remember using Easy Lover to take the piss out of a lass I once knew who was known for her promiscuity - at a party once I got the DJ to play it and dedicate it to her!  She never did work out who did that one!

Fuel accumulator needs replacing on the Volvo (leaking slightly) and I'm too piss weak and cystic fibrosis ridden to crack the rust-welded nuts holding it to the undercarriage. No garage in Birmingham seems to want to touch the car because of its age and apparently it's against the law for any garage to install the replacement part I bought at great expense because they must supply the part, presumably from ECP. Fuck's sake.

Would anybody like to come to Birmingham and help me crack my nuts?

10 hours ago, dozeydustman said:

FFS this evening I've had a major breakthrough with stepmiss_dustman as part of being a stepdad (massive hug, first time in 6 years of being there for her she tells me she loves me),

Wow. Bet there have been many occasions where you didn't think that would ever happen. Perseverance pays (well, sometimes)

3 hours ago, paulplom said:

Radio 2 has gone back hard since Evans left. Their playlist is terrible now. Just generic crap that we've heard for the last 30 years or so with nothing new or exciting anymore.  Maybe it's just me and my age though. And the point that I listen to radio 6 now. 

I find Ken Bruce has the best variety. Zoe Ball is far less annoying than Evans was, but her music variety is very very limited. In a way it's nice as a lot of it is from my late teens - early 20s when she did the Radio 1 breakfast show. I can't pick up Absolute down here unless I switch to Medium wave; even then it's mega flakey.

15 hours ago, High Jetter said:

Some years ago our local FM station played Joni Mitchell's Big Yellow Taxi several times a day, every day. Bugged me so much I phoned up to complain. Have hated it ever since.

Things Can Only Get Better. Although I didn't know it at the time,  it was the gateway to 13 years of a different form of corruption. 

7 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Things Can Only Get Better. Although I didn't know it at the time,  it was the gateway to 13 years of a different form of corruption. 

That war criminal ruined that song. I have a 90s compilation album and I just skip that song now. I can't stand it due to the associations. Well, it's also a kind of shit song anyway, to be honest.

11 hours ago, dozeydustman said:

FFS this evening I've had a major breakthrough with stepmiss_dustman as part of being a stepdad (massive hug, first time in 6 years of being there for her she tells me she loves me), and Mrs_d has gone all introvert, stupid and emotional for no other reason apart from if we do have a baby despite our fertility issues it will be autistic or have downs or cerebral palsy because of our age, and if we go adoption we'll probably be lumbered with some 10 year old problem child for which one of us will need to stop working.

FFS woman! It's rare of me to come up with such an outburst of "FFS woman". I've had such a lovely evening so far, why on earth would the wife want anyone let alone me to end it with something like that??

Sofa is beckoning methinks 

Could you try one out - foster for a while before going through the adoption process?

Went to watch a band in a pub last night, they were really good, and the locals were frankly hilarious (North Wales’ answer to Bez being a particular highlight), and to top it all off some gay chap tried to chat me up in the toilets (he literally walked away as soon as I mentioned my having a wife). 

Why the grump?

I drank 3 and a half pints. This morning I woke up feeling like I’d had an absolute skinfull! That’s not like me at all! 

Does not compute... 

Trying to move house... 

We've sold our house and the  buyer is eager to get things moving, only problem is the owner of the house we're moving to has been gazumped on the property she was buying, she's put an offer in on another house but a week later and we're still waiting to see if it's been accepted or not. In the mean time she's gone on holiday. I think her estate agents are feeding us a steady stream of bullshit but you never know.

Our buyer has a mortgage in place and has done all the surveys, we've been told to "hold fire" on doing any surveys on the house we're buying until shes had an offer accepted. It's been dragging on for over a month now and our buyers are in danger of pulling out. 

We only put our home on the market in the first place because we liked the look of the house we're meant to be buying and nothing else takes our fancy (in a price range we can afford, anyway).   All the time our buyers are chomping at the bit and steadily getting more and more pissed off. 

Trying to move house... 
We've sold our house and the  buyer is eager to get things moving, only problem is the owner of the house we're moving to has been gazumped on the property she was buying, she's put an offer in on another house but a week later and we're still waiting to see if it's been accepted or not. In the mean time she's gone on holiday. I think her estate agents are feeding us a steady stream of bullshit but you never know.
Our buyer has a mortgage in place and has done all the surveys, we've been told to "hold fire" on doing any surveys on the house we're buying until shes had an offer accepted. It's been dragging on for over a month now and our buyers are in danger of pulling out. 
We only put our home on the market in the first place because we liked the look of the house we're meant to be buying and nothing else takes our fancy (in a price range we can afford, anyway).   All the time our buyers are chomping at the bit and steadily getting more and more pissed off. 

Often thought the English system of house purchase/sale is very odd. Like an Ebay car purchase but with the most expensive thing you'll ever buy. Very stressful, as if moving wasn't stressful enough already.
In Scotland you agree a price and it's deal sealed.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk