The grumpy thread

outlaw118

51 minutes ago, Cavcraft said:

Hope it goes better for you now @Lord Sterling you deserve a break, mate. Sorry about the Vectra hand book pack, I'm bound to come across another again at some point.

Lol! No worries. I'm in Southampton now waiting for the ferry which is now late.

I've bought a book pack for the Vectra now. Thanks anyway!

Drove from Exmouth back home to near Canterbury yesterday in a hire VW Crafter (Lutheran Protestant Spec.).

By the time we'd driven home and driven back to the rental centre I'd been driving for near-enough 9 hours.  We looked at the A303 route and it was fucked so we went south coast to Dorchester, Southampton, up the A3 to Guildford, onto the M25.  Got onto the M26, M20 tried to get onto the M2 and it was fucking closed.  Go through a traffic jam in central Sittingbourne, re-join the old A2, join the A2 at Brenley Corner and get back that way.  As usual, bad luck at the end but there were intermittent traffic jams the whole way.

Why a grump?  Van was mostly nice to drive apart from the ASCETIC SEATING ARRANGEMENTS.  Honestly, a hair shirt would have been more comfortable.  My back was killing me by the time I got to bed and it's still not brilliant today.  Why the fuck do they design these seats that deliberately cripple you?!

1 hour ago, beko1987 said:

How the fuck can a part with the same part number as the old one not fit? ....

Because it came from a different manufacturer compared to the original? Also, if the existing tooling is being used but has aged, then the end product is not going to be as good....

53 minutes ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

Why a grump?  Van was mostly nice to drive apart from the ASCETIC SEATING ARRANGEMENTS.  Honestly, a hair shirt would have been more comfortable.  My back was killing me by the time I got to bed and it's still not brilliant today.  Why the fuck do they design these seats that deliberately cripple you?!

I find the same is true of any current VAG motors.  I am just patently not the same shape as the industry standard human being they have been using to model the seats.  Anything more than 20-30 minutes is downright torture.

We did a seven hour trip up north in the back of a Golf Estate a couple of years ago...it was about a week before my spine recovered.  This last year I put my foot down and took my own car...this year we'll be taking my van as I've become the designated pack mule.  We've four people's worth of a LOT of stuff to take...so it'll be three people in the car and me and all the stuff in the van on my own.

See also Transit van. After any more than a few miles I have to hang on to the door as I step out because my hips are so sore. I've just done 300 miles in the Volvo, with one short break half way, and there's no pain at all. 

It's not the seats in the Transit, although they don't help. It's got a massive snout that adds nearly a metre of dead length compared to the old model, but there's less legroom than the old one. 

5 hours ago, beko1987 said:

How the fuck can a part with the same part number as the old one not fit? 

Thought I'd swap the fuel sender sealing ring over, old one had cracked on the glue line again

IMG_20190831_145140.thumb.jpg.f5176ffab751af387ca53f4c14b39cf4.jpg

New one would not spin on, would not catch the thread. Its raining here... So I did what I should have done months ago and stuck a big cable tie around the old one

IMG_20190831_151118.thumb.jpg.37ffe290f41605bbd0fa31166c7c4b71.jpg

Which is now clamping better than it did before. 

IMG_20190831_151124.thumb.jpg.a0232e2178c754b1dec76e701a600ffb.jpg

Plastic tank? I know Renault's misshape their top tank mounting ring if it has fuel in it and you leave the ring off too long. 

5 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

I find the same is true of any current VAG motors.  I am just patently not the same shape as the industry standard human being they have been using to model the seats.  Anything more than 20-30 minutes is downright torture.

We did a seven hour trip up north in the back of a Golf Estate a couple of years ago...it was about a week before my spine recovered.  This last year I put my foot down and took my own car...this year we'll be taking my van as I've become the designated pack mule.  We've four people's worth of a LOT of stuff to take...so it'll be three people in the car and me and all the stuff in the van on my own.

My Golf is from 2005 (Mk IV) and I find the seats quite comfortable.  Not Citroen comfortable - but they're good enough for me to drive a long way without needing a break.  Lady Grumpius doesn't agree with me at all.  I'm not the shame shape as an industry standard human being either and a lot of cars don't have enough front seat adjustment because of my height.  Limits me quite a lot - but it's not like I'm obscenely tall or unusual at 6'2"...

I’m turning into my Grandfather as a word nasty. 

Why do people in a coffee shop when asked what they would like say ‘I’ll get a large latte’. 

No you bloody won’t.

You won’t get diddly squat you lying hipster.

It’s ‘I would like a large latte please’ or ‘Could I have a large latte’ or ‘Please may I have a large latte’ or even ‘Get me a large latte now!’ But you personally won’t ‘get’ anything.

You will stand there like a slack jawed idiot, unable to correctly use the English language and wait for someone else to ‘get’ you something. 

I’m probably wrong and I just jealous of their better bushy beard than I would ever be able to grow (or something like that), but to me it just sounds WRONG!

Sorry rant over. 

Just checked the dictionary definition. Damn. I’m wrong. It still doesn’t sound like good English though.  ?

My frickin Hermes, Useless fuckin tossers that call themselves a courier company. 

Expecting an alternator for the Honda on Thurs/Fri. I always get stuff sent to the shop I work at as it's open and manned all day. No sign of parcel on Thurs or Fri so I check the tracking history and they allegedly attempted delivery at 9:02 p.m Friday so I have to wait til Saturday for them to redeliver, bollocks I say, they know my shop isn't open at night so I check the cctv and there's no sign of any people or vehicles coming near my shop for half an hour either side of 9.  Checked traking again at lunchtime yesterday and it says your friendly courier will be with you between 12 and 4, fair enough. Did it turn up? Not a chance.

Check tracking again at 5 and it says they attempted delivery at 2 and 4 o'clock. Like fuck you did, I was there all bloody day. So I guess after 3 "failed" attempts it will be returned to the seller.

I can't stand this company, I used to use them a lot but they gradually got worse and worse until I just stopped. If I'd known the seller was using Hermes I would have ordered from somewhere else as you just can't guarantee getting anything from them ever.

Rant over. Thanks. :D

12 minutes ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

It’s much easier to deal with if you just refer to them as MyHerpes instead.  

That is exactly what we call them at work.

I'm seriously pissed off as I could have had the car in for an mot this morning. It'll have to wait until next Sunday now. I'm tempted to invoice them for something, don't know what but I'm sure I can make something up.

The news about Mrs Tet got worse today.

At around midnight last night, the hospital staff transferred her from the Medical Receiving Unit to the Coronary Care Unit. They've diagnosed a mild heart attack. In the next day or so, they're transferring her again to Barts in the City of London. Mr Tetley is a worried old Hector, but I know she's getting the best care possible.

Life does have a habit of kicking you in the 'nads when you're down, doesn't it.

7 hours ago, barmatt said:

My frickin Hermes, Useless fuckin tossers that call themselves a courier company. 

Expecting an alternator for the Honda on Thurs/Fri. I always get stuff sent to the shop I work at as it's open and manned all day. No sign of parcel on Thurs or Fri so I check the tracking history and they allegedly attempted delivery at 9:02 p.m Friday so I have to wait til Saturday for them to redeliver, bollocks I say, they know my shop isn't open at night so I check the cctv and there's no sign of any people or vehicles coming near my shop for half an hour either side of 9.  Checked traking again at lunchtime yesterday and it says your friendly courier will be with you between 12 and 4, fair enough. Did it turn up? Not a chance.

Check tracking again at 5 and it says they attempted delivery at 2 and 4 o'clock. Like fuck you did, I was there all bloody day. So I guess after 3 "failed" attempts it will be returned to the seller.

I can't stand this company, I used to use them a lot but they gradually got worse and worse until I just stopped. If I'd known the seller was using Hermes I would have ordered from somewhere else as you just can't guarantee getting anything from them ever.

Rant over. Thanks. :D

Sadly they are only as good as the local person at the end of the chain, around here they are superb and touch wood I have only had one issue. I sent a bike petrol tank to a guy in Wales but they couldn’t find the address after three attempts. When I sent them a screenshot from google Earth showing the Farm clearly visible from an A road including a 6’ high sign with their name on as advertising for their B&B they amazingly managed to find it. To be fair they did refund me, give me £20 credit and state the operative had been sent to a gulag for re-education, sorry, had been referred for enhanced training.

Don’t you just hate being second in getting to view a car... 

I can’t get to view a potential new (and possibly quite exciting) car until after work tomorrow, but apparently there’s one person viewing tomorrow afternoon... so i May be reliant on them not wanting it. That’s the third time recently I’ve been second in line.... 

8 hours ago, Tetleysmooth said:

The news about Mrs Tet got worse today.

At around midnight last night, the hospital staff transferred her from the Medical Receiving Unit to the Coronary Care Unit. They've diagnosed a mild heart attack. In the next day or so, they're transferring her again to Barts in the City of London. Mr Tetley is a worried old Hector, but I know she's getting the best care possible.

Life does have a habit of kicking you in the 'nads when you're down, doesn't it.

If you need a break point on a journey I'm in Thame, on the m40. Can't offer any more practical help though I'm afraid but if your driving back late and need somewhere to kip for a few hours that's not a layby, message me. 

8 hours ago, beko1987 said:

If you need a break point on a journey I'm in Thame, on the m40. Can't offer any more practical help though I'm afraid but if your driving back late and need somewhere to kip for a few hours that's not a layby, message me. 

Thanks beko, but I can get to Barts on the tube from where I live in Rainham. They haven't transferred her yet, she's still in Queens Hospital, Romford at the mo. Thanks for the offer though, much appreciated.