The grumpy thread

outlaw118

10 minutes ago, paulplom said:

Court went great. She asked for overnight contact and the district judge said absolutely not. He's asked for another full caffcas report which takes over 12 weeks. She was pissed at 11 and had trouble walking in a straight line.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Glad it worked out for you, alcoholism is a terrible thing. An ex colleague of mine went from a wonderful mum to someone who hadn’t washed in a month, was malnourished and didn’t know what month, let alone day it was, all in less than 6 months, whilst losing her job, house, kids and pets (We rehomed her cat with us). Five years in and she is starting the road to recovery I gather but it’s been a long road for the whole family and everyone close to her.

1 hour ago, Tamworthbay said:

Glad it worked out for you, alcoholism is a terrible thing.....

My Swiss aunt is an alcoholic (mostly wine-based). She has managed to alienate both sides of my parents' families, and even her husband (one of my many uncles) keeps his distance - she lives here; he lives in Malaysia. They have two adult children; daughter has fucked off to lead her own life in Switzerland, whilst the son still lives with her trying to keep her off the drink, not something he has been very successful at doing, whilst keeping his own career afloat.

Sciatica hit me yesterday afternoon. Had it before so a good dose of painkillers and away I went out for the night with Mrs Morose.

This morning? Yeah, took half an hour to get out of bed and a further 20 or so minutes to dress. THE FUCKING PAIN!

I know I’ve not got pain in any way as bad or as prolonged as some but, fuck me, it’s made me feel as though I’m 112 years old.

Argos has just emailed me to say my item has arrived for collection. I’ve run out of ibuprofen so Ive got to get out and get some more anyway.

Wish me luck. I may be some time.

On 8/29/2019 at 11:47 AM, colnerov said:

Why do girls like bad lads?  They don't seem to think it through when it could go wrong.

So that they have something to show off to their "BFFs" and then something to bitch about when it inevitably goes wrong?

*wanders off to the "Single and sad" thread*

Joy of joys. The Micra has pulled an absolute text-book FTP today, the day before it is due to be driven to the IoW, absolute text-book. Not at 5pm or 7pm, but at 8.30pm in the evening.

Bought a new battery for it some months back. No probs. Last week Ma had an FTP in the Micra so I pulled its battery out and took to work. Battery was found to be faulty and I brought a new one and fitted yesterday after work. Ma used the car yesterday and this morning. Now the bloody thing won't start, dead. No turn over.

Either; we have another faulty battery on our hands, or the alternator has gone (it would still try and turn over a bit though I'd have thought) or I have not tightened the connectors on properly.

Was planning to take a nice trip on the train into Brum and leave the Vectra here at home. But oh no, must take it to Brum 'in case'.

Just had the owner (well they didn't actually introduce themselves as such) or something of the car park we use as residents threaten to clamp all (two) cars I park there if I don't park over a white line (which is borderline impossible) and threatened to remove the AX 'in 3 days' if it isn't taxed, insured and MOT tested. I fully know they are bluffing and legally would be liable for clamps and car removal, but I am sick of this dumb intimidation tactics from these inbred locals. It's so fucking boring. 

Like a bloody ice cube down my shiter neck. 

Well. Looks like the Micra won't be going to the IoW today;

20190831_100156.thumb.jpg.37b6bba22356f80beebed8544e802044.jpg

Going in the Vectra which I didn't want to do, but its faster and more comfy and I can come back in the car straight home. 

I was looking forward to coming back on the train but hey ho. ?

Currently waiting for RAC to come down and determine whether its battery or alternator related. Fucking embarrassing if its battery as I supplied it from work, a Varta one aswell.

Whatever, Micra will get sorted and I'll pop to the IoW with the Micra at the end of September.

DVLA - Got my first 'fine' from them.

Paperwork clearly states it will only be £40 if paid before 29th September, aah alright thinks I.

Go online - NOPE £84 odd, ooh and the phone number supplied is only a Monday to Friday outfit.

Ooh, and I can't tax it online either, as its saying it was sorn or taxed within the last few days. Yay ... don't fancy ringing them up as no doubt the 0300 number will be ££ per minute.

Went to Jag, interior lights come on but battery too flat to start it. Fair enough, it needed more charge so I can live with that, plus I was going to buy a new battery anyway, just to be on the safe side.

Went to Europarts in a stress, bloke behind counter also in stress. Can't match on-line prices, so had to go outside and order battery (and a mirror glass for the Astra) on the net. Confirmed, re-join queue, can't get them yet, takes 15 minutes. Waits 15 minutes, coming home every dickhead driver on the road in front of me.

Rolls into car park, put new battery on Jag and smile to myself just before I turned the ignition on. Turn ignition on, interior lights come on again, but still nothing.  Jiggled battery leads, nothing. Put boost pack on, nothing. Jiggled leads again. Nothing. Ponders ringing my lad. Gets back in car, sit down. Looks at immobilisor connection, remembers I hadn't put immob. fob on it. Put immob fob on it, dash lights come on, car starts.

Ponders own fucking stupidity, de-stresses a bit listening to that engine. 

*Edit: Went to get scooter out to go for a blast. Garage door fucked again. Shuts it (takes ages) and decide not to open again in case it comes off its hinges. Block off with van and cars, come inside then remembered the wheels/tyres I was going to try and drop off with someone going to Chumley. Guess where they are? IN THE FUCKING GARAGE THAT PROBABLY WON'T OPEN OR CLOSE AGAIN. Bollocks.

How the fuck can a part with the same part number as the old one not fit? 

Thought I'd swap the fuel sender sealing ring over, old one had cracked on the glue line again

IMG_20190831_145140.thumb.jpg.f5176ffab751af387ca53f4c14b39cf4.jpg

New one would not spin on, would not catch the thread. Its raining here... So I did what I should have done months ago and stuck a big cable tie around the old one

IMG_20190831_151118.thumb.jpg.37ffe290f41605bbd0fa31166c7c4b71.jpg

Which is now clamping better than it did before. 

IMG_20190831_151124.thumb.jpg.a0232e2178c754b1dec76e701a600ffb.jpg

7 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

How the fuck can a part with the same part number as the old one not fit? 

Thought I'd swap the fuel sender sealing ring over, old one had cracked on the glue line again

IMG_20190831_145140.thumb.jpg.f5176ffab751af387ca53f4c14b39cf4.jpg

New one would not spin on, would not catch the thread. Its raining here... So I did what I should have done months ago and stuck a big cable tie around the old one

IMG_20190831_151118.thumb.jpg.37ffe290f41605bbd0fa31166c7c4b71.jpg

Which is now clamping better than it did before. 

IMG_20190831_151124.thumb.jpg.a0232e2178c754b1dec76e701a600ffb.jpg

I had exactly the same problem with my xsara van! Tried three or four different rings and none would fit. The correct part number one wouldn't go on more than quarter of a turn. I ended up cutting it and using a massive jubilee clip and copious amounts of sealant. It was like the tank threads had swollen up some how

51 minutes ago, Cavcraft said:

Hope it goes better for you now @Lord Sterling you deserve a break, mate. Sorry about the Vectra hand book pack, I'm bound to come across another again at some point.

Lol! No worries. I'm in Southampton now waiting for the ferry which is now late.

I've bought a book pack for the Vectra now. Thanks anyway!

Drove from Exmouth back home to near Canterbury yesterday in a hire VW Crafter (Lutheran Protestant Spec.).

By the time we'd driven home and driven back to the rental centre I'd been driving for near-enough 9 hours.  We looked at the A303 route and it was fucked so we went south coast to Dorchester, Southampton, up the A3 to Guildford, onto the M25.  Got onto the M26, M20 tried to get onto the M2 and it was fucking closed.  Go through a traffic jam in central Sittingbourne, re-join the old A2, join the A2 at Brenley Corner and get back that way.  As usual, bad luck at the end but there were intermittent traffic jams the whole way.

Why a grump?  Van was mostly nice to drive apart from the ASCETIC SEATING ARRANGEMENTS.  Honestly, a hair shirt would have been more comfortable.  My back was killing me by the time I got to bed and it's still not brilliant today.  Why the fuck do they design these seats that deliberately cripple you?!

1 hour ago, beko1987 said:

How the fuck can a part with the same part number as the old one not fit? ....

Because it came from a different manufacturer compared to the original? Also, if the existing tooling is being used but has aged, then the end product is not going to be as good....

53 minutes ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

Why a grump?  Van was mostly nice to drive apart from the ASCETIC SEATING ARRANGEMENTS.  Honestly, a hair shirt would have been more comfortable.  My back was killing me by the time I got to bed and it's still not brilliant today.  Why the fuck do they design these seats that deliberately cripple you?!

I find the same is true of any current VAG motors.  I am just patently not the same shape as the industry standard human being they have been using to model the seats.  Anything more than 20-30 minutes is downright torture.

We did a seven hour trip up north in the back of a Golf Estate a couple of years ago...it was about a week before my spine recovered.  This last year I put my foot down and took my own car...this year we'll be taking my van as I've become the designated pack mule.  We've four people's worth of a LOT of stuff to take...so it'll be three people in the car and me and all the stuff in the van on my own.