The grumpy thread

outlaw118

On 8/26/2019 at 11:36 AM, Bren said:

Bought a headlight restoration kit off ebay.

End result? Shite. Not convinced you can sand clear plastic and expect a new finish after. I put them on a par with those pellets you used to put in your fuel tank.

I have heard from a reliable source that if you mix up a paste using baking powder/cream of tartare or the other one & water, it will polish up plastic headlights like new.

3 hours ago, myglaren said:

My first thought was Social Services but they have the unfortunate reputation of going in all guns blazing and exacerbating the problem, or sitting on their hands until it explodes uncontrollably.

I think you'll find that the daily mail version is not actually how it is. 

Niece works in child protection, and as far as i can see the parents get alot of chances. Unless it's really bad. Even then they try to rebuild things. 

I have had to work  members of the social services child protection teams for twenty plus years now, and have produced reports for them and acted as an appointed expert on multiple occasions so have a bit of insight into how they work. In that time I have come across a variety of characters, some better than others but only one who was a complete twat. The procedures are strictly controlled and they are under a lot of scrutiny. The Daily Fail shite is responsible for tarring a very hard working and under appreciated group of people. In the circumstances described I wouldn’t hesitate for a second to give them a call, it can even be done anonymously if you wish. 

We had a problem neighbour in our last house, screaming at the kids, etc.  The kids themselves were always well behaved on the rare occasion you saw them.  It got to a point where we had to call the services and express our concerns, the neighbour wouldn't talk to anyone.  After a short while, the partner appeared and started sharing responsibility for the kids and things calmed down considerably and while I never got the whole story of the situation, for obvious reasons, it did seem that involving the services resulted in a happy neighbour, happier kids, and a better quality of life all round.  Sometimes, people just need help, even if they're behaving like the sorts you'd like to see take a long trip down a short flight of stairs.  Of course, sometimes people are just dicks, but the services are there to help with that too.

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 11:36 AM, Bren said:

Bought a headlight restoration kit off ebay.

End result? Shite. Not convinced you can sand clear plastic and expect a new finish after. I put them on a par with those pellets you used to put in your fuel tank.

I have had good results with the ones where you use grades of wet and dry up to 2000 and then various magic chemicals in wet wipe packets.  Unless you use a UV sealer they quickly go cloudy again.  In low UV areas a quick wipe over with cutting compound every now and again seems to do the trick.

Put new front tyres on the Merc last week.

It clearly likes having its wheels off (or the smell of my money) because I drove it today for the first time since picking it up from the tyre place and a vibration under braking announced that my front discs and pads have reached the end of their life.

All consumables so I'm not too annoyed, and I knew both jobs were coming, but I had hoped to spread the cost a bit.

another scammer tries his luck , bastards  should be shot at dawn for this !   , looks nothing like a renewal request ...

--TV Licensing ™--

#Dear Sir/Madam,

#We were unable to renew your TV Licence by Direct Debit.

#Amount: £150.50
  #Sender’s Message: TV Licensing  (srzhpcipzdz6)
  #Licence: 6932259124

#Please keep this email safe, as it tells you how to update your licence details.

#Renew Now >> follow the link: https://cutt.ly/qwh3F76?-TVLicence

#Best regards,
#---TV Licensing ™ ---

#EmailID: cyf2jx1id8rd6vf-2ttdhafjhl38z9h

18 hours ago, captain_70s said:

I've run out of money.

Bank won't give me a bigger overdraft, the overdraft is maxed out at -£1250.

I've had to scrounge some money off my parents. Things are grim.

As a parent, I would be only too happy to try and help my kids if they are struggling. 

If i was struggling, I know they'd help me out. 

15 hours ago, MikeR said:
another scammer tries his luck , bastards  should be shot at dawn for this !   , looks nothing like a renewal request ...

--TV Licensing ™--

#Dear Sir/Madam,

#We were unable to renew your TV Licence by Direct Debit.

#Amount: £150.50
  #Sender’s Message: TV Licensing  (srzhpcipzdz6)
  #Licence: 6932259124

#Please keep this email safe, as it tells you how to update your licence details.

#Renew Now >> follow the link: https://cutt.ly/qwh3F76?-TVLicence

#Best regards,
#---TV Licensing ™ ---

#EmailID: cyf2jx1id8rd6vf-2ttdhafjhl38z9h

That reminds me.  Unlike a belligerent student, I need to pay my TV tax this week. And MV6 tax. Grrr. 

The kids are clearly at risk of emotional/psychological abuse from family members. This in itself is ample reason to contact children's services as it is very much a child safe guarding issue.

Council/HA anti-social behaviour team, there should be an allocated housing officer for each patch or collection of patches. Phone and email as email trail is trackable.

Police at a pinch if you are witnessing behaviour that is causing alarm and distress.

23 hours ago, paulplom said:

Upstairs was pleasantly quiet most of yesterday. I wonder if she's on here....

Day 2 of silence. She must have dumped Gary as well. All his toiletries were on the door step including a large coffee jar with labels removed full of a translucent liquid. She must be on here. Make yourself known Natalie ?

In reality I'd shit myself if she did.

Turned my 'phone off last night to stop the myriad social media dickheads messaging me with stupid questions. Put back on this morning, 11 new messages (some with the inevitable question around 3.00am and '????' when I didn't respond in a nano-second) and the usual half the fucking price ((or less) offered dickheads.

Have made three people repeat back the first line of the advert to me then asked them whether they think it's still for sale or not, then fucked them off. Some I'm just ignoring, a handful might get answers.

One of daughter's former boyfriends, who seemed to be a very nice bloke, seems to have copied her door keys.  He has been stalking her a bit lately and she found a parcel in the house when there was no-one around to accept it.

All locks to change and the one on the back door is new anyway, door only fitted recently.  Not a big job but ascertaining the right eurocylinder while she isn't there and my keys don't work as she has barricaded the other doors from inside.

Hadn't realised there were so many variants of the eurocylinder.

He'll be in jail when the cops pick him up, turns out he has been a bad lad in the past.