The grumpy thread

outlaw118

4 minutes ago, myglaren said:

My son was going to sorn his bike, hasn't used it for a year due to injuries when he came off is a few years ago.

They have send him a reminder and he has to enter the 11-digit code on it to tax/sorn it online.

There is no code :(

on both 2012 and 2019 V5s I have for REV,  the 11 digit code is displayed in several locations

so I would be a bit worried if its entirely missing from all locations on the V5 of that bike!

Not the V5 but the tax reminder, he thinks it will be different - related to this year's tax.

I have just sailed through the process each year without taking a lot of notice, always been simple enough.

Other son and new girlfriend were supposed to be here for the holiday, was out this morning and bought loads of fresh food, texted him to leave his car at the front of the house and mine is buried round the back.

Text reply - "I think you have the wrong number"! - he's forever changing phones and numbers.

Tried another number for him.  Not coming after all, just came home from Seattle this morning and has to submit some work for his PhD.  Said he had emailed me yesterday.

He sent the email to all his siblings but forgot to copy me in.  Been doing this for months now.

I was about to head off to The Wigginton pub for a classic car meet, checked up on their page to make sure it was still on the be met by a message stating that ‘as long as your car qualifies for historic vehicle tax you are welcome to attend’. Mine is 38 years old so doesn’t, so presumably I am unwelcome. Well fuck off Wigginton, I will get a pub lunch at the far superior Feathers in Lichfield, the landlord loves my car even though it isn’t quite 40 years old.

Just now, Tadhg Tiogar said:

So near, yet so far.

To be fair, it’s more the sentiment. I am sure they probably let me in but nothing stinks of a ‘real classics only’ with real being the kind of boring shite that gets polished but never driven. It will be full of boring old bastards who would not like the pile of car park receipts in the centre console, or the mud under the arches. It has saved a trip, and the food is great at the Feathers.

Just now, SiC said:

But you know if they didn't put a criteria in, the car park would be full of Focus STs

Several local meets, none of the others have an age limit, never seen a Focus ST at any of them, wouldn’t mind if I did as long as the other stuff is there as well.

7 minutes ago, chaseracer said:

That menu looks good.

It is, the food is always good there. Mike, the landlord, is a top bloke and loves his live music. I went past the Wigginton on the way, there were all of three ‘classic’ cars in the car park, so much for that one. Sat on sofa now watching a bridge too far.

Going somewhere on BH weekend.

Bird im seeing invites me to a colleagues BBQ / Garden party 60 miles away in the neighbouring county  "its not that far" well about 60 miles, anyway I reluctantly accepted but decided against taking the car because I don't really enjoy driving far anymore, the leisurely driving experience is always ruined by contestants for the wacky races in their Aldi's and other fast german cars, and its boiling and  I don't fancy getting stuck on the M25.  I decided public transport, possibly the worst decision so far in 2019.  Replacement buses where there should be a train, takes 3x longer but still the same price as a train? hmmm what other industry do you still pay the same for a substandard service? Nearly FOUR hours each way.  

Never again on a BH weekend with poxy buses involved, not for anyone.  Yes I could have driven but the roads heading this way today were jammed anyway with everyone heading to Southend, why you would bother i'll never know but either way an utter ball ache and i'm glad to be home, logged on here and watching hubnut.   (deep breath and relax)

21 minutes ago, xtriple said:

Having bought Phoebe an expensive new dog bed, she is laying, next to it! I have put her on it, encouraged her on it, threatened her with vivisection but she still prefers the floor.

Bloody women - even if dogs it seems are contrary.

Is it because the new dog bed doesn't smell like her bed? Maybe put an old blanket or a piece of any of your old clothing on it. 

She is probably worried that it's not her bed and she shouldn't be sleeping on it!

Decided I was going to take Kinky Girl for a walk after tea, a new idea, try and get some exercise in. She thinks I'm a silly bastard with being in the centre of Leeds.

I has idea! A couple of years ago we went mooching round where they'd stuck a new office block up, and was in the process of badly building phase 2, struggling for tenants and there's a load of land reserved for future phases if they ever manage to sell the ones they've done. They put in a park for the workers with apple trees on the border fences, and a bit down the road on the edge of a car park someone had put in a small orchard. We can go scrumping!

WRONG! 

There's now a phase 3 under construction behind the fence round the park. So of course they've torn down the original perfectly good fence with apple trees attached and replaced it with a pretty identical fence. The car park is now 50% of original size due to sticking phase 3 on it, and the orchard bit which is on the opposite side to the new building has been buried with random construction waste as prolly cheaper than getting a skip.

I'm saddened. What a pointless waste. Plus I had to buy her ice cream from co-op as a conciliation prize.

3 hours ago, angle said:

I know we'd moan if they used a Peugeot 309 or something, but really? It's newer than any car I've ever owned, dealer plates and full leather and apart from a bit of lacquer peel on the back bumper looked immaculate. Seems a bit of a waste, really. 

IMG_20190826_091302.thumb.jpg.d68ee121e7b2e75d7be15cd3d51f5531.jpg

It says enquire within on it... so might be worth asking how much they're selling that Civic for.