The grumpy thread

outlaw118

7 hours ago, meggersdog said:

Don't really know where to put this but someone was grumpy so..............

After running an MoT station for six years today was the first day someone actually cried because their car failed it's MoT.

Nice lady late thirties maybe forty brought a diesel Golf in.The car had iffy tyres, rusty brakepipes, oil leaks and generally uncared for in appearance . An armful of advisories but the failure was emissions. The lowest reading was 4.86 and a big cloud of black soot every time you revved it.I tried to clear it but to no avail.We only do MoTs no repair work. We'd been recommended by a friend and when the lady asked if I could repair it I said no we don't do that sort of thing she burst out crying. Not hysterical just a stream of tears rolling down her cheeks. Turns out the lady is a carer and the car goes just over a mile to each job . Stop start every day.A modernish  diesel is not the car for her.

I did eventually make her smile and off she went.Never met the lady before and as is the case I employ a female assistant for these sort of situations. The kids are off school so yeah she's got the week off. Don't really know what to do when a stranger starts blubbing infront of you but I seemed to have got it right as she left a little happier.

My old works van was constantly "broken" because of that, it was always just getting used for 5 minute drives, barely ever even close to getting it up to temperature. They were getting robbed blind by constantly putting it in to be "fixed". I told them it was just not suited to what they were using it for and it was clogging up the DPF's on it, they ignored me.

One day, it was sitting out front and i had a 40 mile round trip to do (normally i'd just use my own car) but said seeing as the van wasn't being used i'd take that. "Oh no you can't, it needs to go into the garage", told them it'd be fine and took it anyway.

Drove it very, very hard up the A90, bouncing it off the rev limiter plenty, could see the smokescreen behind. EML on etc, flat, lack of power... somewhere near the destination the smoking stopped and it had all its power back. Switched off, got out, 20 minutes later, got in to drive back, EML light was off and it drove like new.

Was feeling smug and justified when i got back, only to look at the side of the van (A Fiat Ducato with a side exit exhaust) and see all that soot it had cleared up was being worn all down the side ?. thankfully i'd parked it with that side facing away from the office and they were happy when i told them i'd fixed it and wasn't in the next day to get the bollocking when they saw the state of it.

There are several flies and a wasp taking refuge in the office; we think they are being driven in here by smells from the two restaurants downstairs.

They also appear to be mutant insects in the sense that I've been spraying all these insect sprays at them and they have no effect at all.

A sad tale. We used to have a Hermes delivery bloke, a lovely old chap with a moustache and a blazer, clearly retired from something more interesting. He used to drive a variety of shite motors, culminating with a white Daihatsu Grand Move which had at some point in its life had had fake wood panelling very skilfully painted on by hand. And then he vanished... I've just heard that after a cup of coffee with his wife he was killed by a drunken driver on a zebra crossing in Nottingham. Bum Hats!

57 minutes ago, SierraMikeHotel said:

One of the providers I use at work has proudly announced that they have simplified one of their processes in order to make things faster for us. Great!

Erm, no. What they've done is taken a one-stage process and turned it into a two-stage process. Yeah, thanks.

They probably paid some consultant a small fortune for that simplification*

24 minutes ago, dozeydustman said:

I've been on a round that I hate doing today. I am mentally and emotionally exhausted. I have no idea, but working in Bracklesham and the Witterings saps all my joi de vie and leaves me feeling numb and mega mega stressed.

Haha! I ended up down there at the marina a couple of weeks ago. It’s ok when your there but it’s getting in and out from the A27 this time of year that’s the nightmare. It’s absolutely packed. Nobody ever lets you out at junctions either, despite not being able to go anywhere themselves because of traffic.

Just now, danthecapriman said:

Haha! I ended up down there at the marina a couple of weeks ago. It’s ok when your there but it’s getting in and out from the A27 this time of year that’s the nightmare. It’s absolutely packed. Nobody ever lets you out at junctions either, despite not being able to go anywhere themselves because of traffic.

It is a nightmare, west wittering beach is the only sandy beach in the area, so people flock from miles away to go to there, and pay £10 for the privilege to park and be crammed together with no personal beach space.

I also find the people around there are extremely rude old farts who complain about anything and everything.

Whole area can be washed away into the sea as far as I care.

3 minutes ago, dozeydustman said:

It is a nightmare, west wittering beach is the only sandy beach in the area, .....

I also find the people around there are extremely rude old farts who complain about anything and everything....

Not surprising, it's not that far away from the Goring-by-Sea/Worthing conurbation, a.k.a God's Waiting Room.

1 minute ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Didn't think that was possible. Last time I drove down that way, it looked like The Eastbourne Supremacy

Grabbed a bottle of sparkling water in the Tesco while on Tacho break, aside from the handful of visiting families in there, most of the shoppers looked like an average age of 103.

4 hours ago, Floatylight said:

Stuck on a train in Wolverhampton due to someone threatening to chuck themselves off a bridge...

Been here almost an hour.emoji3525.png

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Well it's fair to say some poor bugger is having a worse day than you.

On 8/20/2019 at 12:25 PM, Tamworthbay said:

Or a Volvo, everyone I have had have been brilliant. Having had back problems for years they have been a welcome respite at times. Worst ever was a Mazda 3 which nearly crippled me.

Up to a point, and I think that point was about 2002 though I've only been in a few more recent Chinese Volvos. I had a succession in the 1980s and 1990s that had superb seats but the (very) last was a 2004 V70 that was (a) very uncomfortable, (b) hugely unreliable, (c ) thrown together, and (d) exceptionally noisy.

SAABs always had good seats if memory serves. For a modern Mrs BN's CX-3 seems to have decent seats but I rarely go far in it so probably not the best judgement. I miss the DS, great seats and fantastic ride comfort (when it worked).

The dickhead in the white Volkswagen SUV thing who nearly went flat out into the back of me this evening.

I'd been behind a slow-moving car in traffic (car had either an armchair or small sofa bungeed to its roofrack so the driver didn't want to go fast) but as I was in no hurry sat behind it until I needed to turn right at some lights.  I went into the turning lane and stopped, when said SUV decided he had had enough of waiting in the traffic and floored it down the outside of the queue to try and use the turning lane to cut ahead of everyone - and didn't notice I was sitting at the lights about to turn right!  Luckily the smallest of gaps opened in the queue to my left and he somehow missed me, fuck knows how!