The grumpy thread

outlaw118

20 hours ago, Slowsilver said:

Modern to me is 20 years old.
1999 Zafira A, owned by me for the last seventeen years. First registered ln June 1999, only two months after the model's introduction in April 1999, so probably the oldest surviving Zafira still on the road and in daily use.
Discs on the front but still drums on the back.
Needless to say I strongly disagree with the "All Vauxhalls are sh*te" mantra perpetuated on here.
And the A models don't catch fire!

1600 comfort? is that butterybiscuit bASe for a zaffy?

*edit*

satin red FTW

7 minutes ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

1600 comfort? is that butterybiscuit bASe for a zaffy?

No, they did a Zafira Club which was the entry-level model. Not sure of all the differences but I'm pretty sure that it didn't have the roof rails or electric front windows. May not have had the electrically adjustable mirrors with the driver's side one heated when the heated rear window is on. I think the Comfort is the next model up, which still has keep-fit rear windows. Mine had a radio / cassette player fitted originally but I swapped it for a radio / CD player from a posher version. That, and the reversing sensors are the only after-market modifications done to it.

Drive is full, garage is full, secret storage at work is full so why are there so many cars for sale on here that I really want and some I could even vaguely justify buying (well as much as you ever can - Lancia for £300 ffs). Buggery  bollocks.

Being asked three times for a 'phone number and telling them three times it's messenger only, the same person sent me his number and asked me to ring him. That. however, cannot possibly eclipse the question the next person sent, having seen this picture and seemingly very serious...

suzgt1.thumb.jpg.73b1df898965f0ac6da7d369e719ed77.jpg

...'Is inside the tank ok?'

1 minute ago, Cavcraft said:

Being asked three times for a 'phone number and telling them three times it's messenger only, the same person sent me his number and asked me to ring him. That. however, cannot possibly eclipse the question the next person sent, having seen this picture and seemingly very serious...

suzgt1.thumb.jpg.73b1df898965f0ac6da7d369e719ed77.jpg

...'Is inside the tank ok?'

How much MoT on it m8? This Xbox ain’t going to be around forever..........

On 8/18/2019 at 4:21 PM, Slowsilver said:

After my dismal failure with Bob the Renault (see Renault 6 Rescue thread for the gory details) I decided I had had enough of old stuff and decided to do the routine yearly service on the Zafira.
Oil, oil filter and air filter changed. Easy.
Front brakes stripped and cleaned. No fluid leaks and plenty of disc pad thickness left. Good.
Offside rear brake drum removed. No fluid leaks and plenty of brake lining left. Cleaned out brake dust and reassembled. All good.
Last job. Nearside rear brake drum removed. No fluid leaks and plenty of brake lining left. Good. Start cleaning out brake dust and notice bottom half of front brake lining is no longer attached to its shoe. Not good.
Guess it is better to discover this at home than for it to part completely while driving, probably locking the wheel and need recovery.
But Sunday afternoon so nowhere open to buy a new set of linings, and Mrs. Silver needs the car tomorrow.

BUGGER!

20190819_145339.thumb.jpg.ed8b3d13260c63597f7715719973e354.jpg

Oo'er. Don't know if you can see in the photo but about 2/3 or maybe 3/4 of the length of the lining has separated from the shoe.
Don't know how long these have been on the car, but the lining + shoe thickness is still 6mm and the new ones are only 7mm, so only 1mm worn away. But since they need to be replaced in axle sets, all four are scrap despite having loads more life in them. No maker's name on them, just a cryptic number, so I have no idea who made them or where they came from.
Still, new set obtained this morning for £25 ish from local motor factor and order is now restored. Let's hope they are better quality than the previous ones.
But this begs the question "how long has it been like this?". They haven't been looked at for 12 months so was I lucky to find this just after it happened, or has it been gradually parting over the last year? And how much longer would it have lasted before detaching itself completely? Presumably it was lucky that it was the trailing edge and not the leading edge that came away, otherwise it would probably have been ripped off straight away. Finding this sort of thing makes my blood run cold at the thought of what might have happened if it had let go at high speed with the wife and kids in the car. Just goes to show that even a well-maintained car can conceal potential nasties. They say that ignorance is bliss, but not in this case.

Before I left work today I put the car on the ramp lifting it about a foot off the ground.I then had another look for my missing keys.Went and got the super l.e.d. torch ,couldn't see anything under the seats with multiple l.e.d.'s switched to the single light on the end of the torch and spotted something shiney  poking out of the seat runner. Just a hint of roundness so with the flexible magnet tool I retrieved my keys.

Why the grump ? It took all of five minutes to find and retrieve my keys with the right tools. These tools are in the workshop six miles away  and my workshop keys were in the house I was locked out of. My assistants keys are, I know, hanging on a hook in the workshop. I've told her enough times to leave her keys in her car. If they were I could've got into work this morning without the panic of having to break into the house.Emergency locksmith on a Sunday night was not cheap.

5 hours ago, Slowsilver said:

Don't know where you are in the world but if you are ever in or near Buckingham (FoD one day maybe) feel free to PM me and you would be welcome to come round for a gander and maybe even a ride.
In the meantime here are some quick pics to sate your automotive appetite. Note the original dealer plates and even the original wheeltrims.

20190819_145428.thumb.jpg.47b7ab2b23c37bf728c7be30da88ade5.jpg

20190819_145445.thumb.jpg.a2866d5af77973b74ac7def364ebf74f.jpg

20190819_145514.thumb.jpg.58c471e732e65a51c1f470cf200eff56.jpg

20190819_145526.thumb.jpg.d7114ffb3311c4d9be9747a7b9aff862.jpg

20190819_145542.thumb.jpg.ab2791a0c88ace5f1e4a6f4f6d11c659.jpg

20190819_145558.thumb.jpg.f8c2c67459b8826836acd8d9db59e44d.jpg

20190819_145727.thumb.jpg.e617e80de30b413d2995235ba3db73b9.jpg

Loving it man. I've got a mad love for Zafira A at the moment. I briefly drove this around the block:

20190406_133548.thumb.jpg.b121c2d6a3dd2591644cc4b901314bba.jpg20190406_133559.thumb.jpg.7aa50f11d95ed3b23b91e88b5371ddaf.jpg20190406_133613.thumb.jpg.1e379bdab2ac381c29c3b840e042a72e.jpg

To the halfwit driving the large yellow truck earlier today,

So sorry that by travelling at the speed limit and then having to stop due to oncoming traffic to make a legal right turn we disturbed you from your phone, tablet, satnav or whatever was so much more important. At least you managed the emergency stop when you finally paid attention to the road. You weren't to know that my  driver was a retired (very) senior police officer. I'll leave you to think about whether that small Abarth may have had cameras front and back......

You shouted something about seeing us next Tuesday, we've both checked our diaries and have no appointments so maybe you are mistaken.

If you ever use one of those comparison sites to get quotes to move cars, avoid people from Wolverhampton in case they're a fucking liar, totally incapable of doing what they promised then take your money and try not to pay it back.

42 minutes ago, Cavcraft said:

If you ever use one of those comparison sites to get quotes to move cars, avoid people from Wolverhampton in case they're a fucking liar, totally incapable of doing what they promised then take your money and try not to pay it back.

I was born in Wolverhampton ?

45 minutes ago, Cavcraft said:

2 minutes ago, Lord Sterling said:

I was born in Wolverhampton ?

Well now, that's a touch awkward....

1 hour ago, dean36014 said:

Nothing wrong with Coventry, I've lived in far worse places.

I was a student there in the 80s at the end poly. The main difference between Liverpool and Coventry was that young people had jobs. 

Also being born in Wolverhapton (well, just outside but my family are all from Wolverhampton) I would like to point out that I have my pitchfork, straw and matches ready and I am ready to join the baying mob.

We are going to burn Wolverhampton as part of the civic improvement plan, right?

2 hours ago, Tamworthbay said:

FTFY, what an utter shit hole, the only place where you can have a pint in every good pub and still be legal to drive.

I remember a friend's Dad who had worked there saying the best thing the council could do would be invite the Luftwaffe back to have another go...

2 minutes ago, cort1977 said:

I remember a friend's Dad who had worked there saying the best thing the council could do would be invite the Luftwaffe back to have another go...

The old Joke was that Coventry had been destroyed twice, once by the Luftwaffe and once by the planners. Sadly there was a lot of truth in it. The pictures from before the war show it to be a beautiful city but only a tiny fragment (medieval Spon St) survives.

Are the seats in all modernz shit or is it just mine? I've done give or take 4k in the C2 in about a month and my back is absolutely killing me 24/7 now! I've managed to get the driving position more or less how I've always had my cars, but the seats are rock hard! Driving home from a shift it honestly feels like I'm sitting on a concrete bench, I don't think I've ever been so aware of how different the shape of my spine and the seatback is in any other car. Sod this, I'm going to fix the Volvo and never entertain selling it again! I'm 23, I shouldn't be having back problems already!

9 minutes ago, reb said:

Are the seats in all modernz shit or is it just mine? I've done give or take 4k in the C2 in about a month and my back is absolutely killing me 24/7 now! I've managed to get the driving position more or less how I've always had my cars, but the seats are rock hard!....

Think they learnt lessons from the Germans, who have long favoured "firm" seats on the basis that these work out more comfortable* long-distance.

Now that your lower back is fecked, what you need now is an oleopneumatic Citroen....