The grumpy thread

outlaw118

52 minutes ago, FPB7 said:

It's raining, I'm wet, I'm knackered at the end of a two week tour and I've got a four hour drive to my hotel in this:

IMG_20190816_084411.thumb.jpg.e55b660bbe59872f44e9c8a187af5da2.jpg

Oh yes, I'm in Stonehaven and Saabnut is down in his summer residence so I can't pop over for a mug of tea.

Bloody typical - would have been good to catch up! Nice and sunny and warm here so not all bad.........

13 hours ago, leanycan said:

Anybody else been harassed by there employer while on annual leave? Started a new job a month back, finally on a permanent contract pending successful completion of probation with a decent pay rise but I honestly think I’d be happier picking in a warehouse on an ongoing temp contract with min wage. Been working on phones in call centres for nearly 7 years now and need to get out of this cycle I am in. 

Yes, all the time, I run a maintenance department in a large hotel and the GM thinks its ok to ring and message me about trivial stuff, he once called when I was in Las Vegas to tell me a staff member had walked out, I don't know what the fuck he expected me to do about it whilst I was sat in the bottom of the Grand Canyon having a picnic, muppet, I now block him and the deputy manager from the day my leave begins until the morning I return to work, I think they got the message last time as they had a major leak and had to think for themselves for once!

I still get calls and messages about stuff in an evening and weekends, even though I have spent hours compiling and maintaining a folder that contains absolutely everything about every service and system in the building, plus action plans on how to resolve things ?

3 minutes ago, Jazoli said:

Yes, all the time, I run a maintenance department in a large hotel and the GM thinks its ok to ring and message me about trivial stuff, he once called when I was in Las Vegas to tell me a staff member had walked out, I don't know what the fuck he expected me to do about it whilst I was sat in the bottom of the Grand Canyon having a picnic, muppet, I now block him and the deputy manager from the day my leave begins until the morning I return to work, I think they got the message last time as they had a major leak and had to think for themselves for once!

I still get calls and messages about stuff in an evening and weekends, even though I have spent hours compiling and maintaining a folder that contains absolutely everything about every service and system in the building, plus action plans on how to resolve things ?

Yes. In the past. I let my wife answer the phone. And ask stupid questions like "and what do you think Mark can do about that when we are 250 miles away ? So let me get this straight. There's a procedure that nobody thought to read before they tried to fix it? And these people are on the skills matrix as being trained and competent? And they've made it worse?  I can see why Mark wants to leave now. I'll get him to phone you when he gets to work on Tuesday at 8:30 am." 

2 minutes ago, New POD said:

Yes. In the past. I let my wife answer the phone. And ask stupid questions like "and what do you think Mark can do about that when we are 250 miles away ? So let me get this straight. There's a procedure that nobody thought to read before they tried to fix it? And these people are on the skills matrix as being trained and competent? And they've made it worse?  I can see why Mark wants to leave now. I'll get him to phone you when he gets to work on Tuesday at 8:30 am." 

I don't dare let my wife answer the phone, I fear I would have no job to return to :D

8 hours ago, FPB7 said:

It's raining, I'm wet, I'm knackered at the end of a two week tour and I've got a four hour drive to my hotel in this:

IMG_20190816_084411.thumb.jpg.e55b660bbe59872f44e9c8a187af5da2.jpg

Oh yes, I'm in Stonehaven and Saabnut is down in his summer residence so I can't pop over for a mug of tea.

Yup, four hours and a bit, including a stop for fuel and a piss and now I’m in glasgow for my 24 hr break before the 8 hour drive back down south on Sunday.

It’s going to be windy on Sunday. Great*

My trip to Home Bargains is likely to turn out expensive. The entrance/exit for the car park has a fairly steep ramp, unfortunately the Chrysler is long and low and I caught the exhaust on the way out. The exhaust has pulled apart, I'm hoping it is a joint that can be put back together, or welded. If not it will need new bits. I was only using it as it hadn't been driven for a while, I have left it at the garage on the way home, hopefully they can look at it in the week and blank off that stupid exhaust valve at the same time.

Bloody grumpy today! I have been in France 4 weeks, we have had two days with some rain, but nothing of note. Those days were the only days rain since the beginning of June. This weekend is the Marcon Classique, a huge 2 day event including band, fireworks etc. Yesterday I took the hard top off the Spitfire and spent all day polishing it. This morning I got up to heavy rain. Ten hours later it is still pissing down. Will see if it is any better tomorrow for the road run :-(

Three days of being fucked about by some two bob twat who clearly was never going to do the job he promised, when he promised. Worse than that, he's pissed about one (probably two) of our best mates and strung us both along.  Can't even begin to describe how fucking pissed off I am, and to our friend/s (who'll read this) I'm deeply sorry for the grief that this has caused.

Just had one of those moments where I stopped to think about the last time I actually felt happy, and realised that I couldn't answer the question.

I honestly can't remember feeling anything other than tired and drained.

Few good days here and there, but always relatively short lived. 

That backfired.  Embarked on the thought project with a view to thinking about how things might improve once I drag myself out of this emotional rut.  Has instead just pushed home how long I've been in it.

Do just want to cry some days, but just don't have the energy for that and know I'd just end up spending hours being angry at myself for making a scene over nothing.

Really can't wait for November to roll round when I should at least have one weekend of genuine fun and hopefully minimal stress to look forward to.

Feels a bloody long way off just now in some ways though.  Far too close in others (i.e. getting stuff I need to between now and then done).

Sorry for the nonsense babble.  Needed to say something somewhere though or I was going to implode.

1 hour ago, Zelandeth said:

Just had one of those moments where I stopped to think about the last time I actually felt happy, and realised that I couldn't answer the question.

I honestly can't remember feeling anything other than tired and drained.

Few good days here and there, but always relatively short lived. 

That backfired.  Embarked on the thought project with a view to thinking about how things might improve once I drag myself out of this emotional rut.  Has instead just pushed home how long I've been in it.

Do just want to cry some days, but just don't have the energy for that and know I'd just end up spending hours being angry at myself for making a scene over nothing.

Really can't wait for November to roll round when I should at least have one weekend of genuine fun and hopefully minimal stress to look forward to.

Feels a bloody long way off just now in some ways though.  Far too close in others (i.e. getting stuff I need to between now and then done).

Sorry for the nonsense babble.  Needed to say something somewhere though or I was going to implode.

I wish there was something I could do for you given this post and the last :(

im always there if you need a shoulder to cry on or something, and if you need some company im more then willing to drop by

I hope i can offer solidarity that I do very much understand your plight, suffering many of the same issues you face because London...

(and I at least have the "advantage" that I was born and raised in this environment so im "used to it" as its all I have ever known, where as i know you were dragged into it)

In the latest twist to my exciting* life, the landlord knocked on the door earlier to say he's serving notice as he wants to move back in to the house, and some local builders have a slot between November and January to gut the place and redo the kitchen, bathroom and knock down and rebuild the conservatory/shack on the back.

FFS, I can't even live in my car because thats fucked and 600 miles away.

We can move, but to another short term tenancy and we're looking to buy somewhere (though haven't got the money together yet) before long, but too long to jump from here to there directly. Looks like we're moving in with the in-laws for 6 months, which is kind of them, but not exactly what I had in mind.

Also means having to put most of my world posessions into storage because the in-laws have a house full of their own tat already, and I'm not losing my tools and other valuable* posessions over this. However there is going to need to be a serious declutter imminently.

Agh that is annoying Stanky, sorry to hear that. I hate moving, with a passion, but as I also rent, the Landlord can really tell me to FRO with notice anytime from October onwards. They do have a new mortgage tied up in it though...

My grump is I smashed my phone today, by accident. I seemingly can't keep a phone going for more than a year for some reason. Had to fork out £350 for a Pixel 3A from Google, and that now means I have had to back out of a car I was going to pick up Monday. FFS. 

57 minutes ago, Stanky said:In the latest twist to my exciting* life, the landlord knocked on the door earlier to say he's serving notice as he wants to move back in to the house, and some local builders have a slot between November and January to gut the place and redo the kitchen, bathroom and knock down and rebuild the conservatory/shack on the back.

FFS, I can't even live in my car because thats fucked and 600 miles away.

We can move, but to another short term tenancy and we're looking to buy somewhere (though haven't got the money together yet) before long, but too long to jump from here to there directly. Looks like we're moving in with the in-laws for 6 months, which is kind of them, but not exactly what I had in mind.

Also means having to put most of my world posessions into storage because the in-laws have a house full of their own tat already, and I'm not losing my tools and other valuable* posessions over this. However there is going to need to be a serious declutter imminently.

Assured short hold tenancy? Is your term due for renewal or has it become a rolling tenancy agreement?  Next door to me is currently being redone ( new bathroom, kitchen and carpet etc ) and will be available to rent soon. Although I’m a fair way from Fareham. I’ve found the best rentals are from those with no financial motive to move you out. Good luck.

4 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

Assured short hold tenancy? Is your term due for renewal or has it become a rolling tenancy agreement?  Next door to me is currently being redone ( new bathroom, kitchen and carpet etc ) and will be available to rent soon. Although I’m a fair way from Fareham. I’ve found the best rentals are from those with no financial motive to move you out. Good luck.

We've been in this place for just over ten years, and paid well under the odds pretty much the whole time, so can't be too angry. Had this happened 6 months ago, or in 6 months time it'd be no issue. Just spectacularly badly timed.

The concern around moving to a new house would be that we're locked into at least 6 months and its really hard these days to switch over to a rolling monthly contract which is what we really need if we're looking to buy somewhere and not have to buy ourselves out of the contract.

4 minutes ago, Stanky said:

We've been in this place for just over ten years, and paid well under the odds pretty much the whole time, so can't be too angry. Had this happened 6 months ago, or in 6 months time it'd be no issue. Just spectacularly badly timed.

The concern around moving to a new house would be that we're locked into at least 6 months and its really hard these days to switch over to a rolling monthly contract which is what we really need if we're looking to buy somewhere and not have to buy ourselves out of the contract.

I know.  I’m resigned to not buying now. I’ve been renting for 25 years next year. Hillingdon, well Hayes end really ( studio flat) £380 a month 1995-1997, colnbrook (1bed flat £520, 1997-2001), ascot ( lovely 2 bed end of terrace next to the race course with my sister- £900, 2001-2003), Sunninghill ( I bed annexe on a private road with two acres of garden £720 for 7 years 2003-2010), and now my barn conversion in Bagshot ( originally the same as Sunninghill, but that was 9years ago now!). I have no family so I can please myself really until I retire and the money runs out.

in other news , a ELB unit resisted the temptation to cut currant when asked to under test  , resulting in a potential safety risk ...

in order to find out watt went wrong , its cover was removed and  ....... the smell of doom was evident ...

closer inspection .....  etc

mrphoto20190818_151241.thumb.jpg.e702e90619260cef62d0ce8f35968fca.jpg

I keep meaning to call in their on one of my many trips past it ...  bit of a land mark to say we are half way !

21 minutes ago, chaseracer said:

Some excellent Brutalist architecture to gaze at, however.  Silver linings, etc.

image.png

?

40 minutes ago, chaseracer said:

Some excellent Brutalist architecture to gaze at, however.  Silver linings, etc.

image.png

?

If you can, get yourself to The Plough in Garstang.  It's on the main road down to the University.  Used to go there from time-to-time when I was at the University and it's a decent little pub.  Getting there from the services might be a challenge though, even though it's only a couple of minutes down the road...

After my dismal failure with Bob the Renault (see Renault 6 Rescue thread for the gory details) I decided I had had enough of old stuff and decided to do the routine yearly service on the Zafira.
Oil, oil filter and air filter changed. Easy.
Front brakes stripped and cleaned. No fluid leaks and plenty of disc pad thickness left. Good.
Offside rear brake drum removed. No fluid leaks and plenty of brake lining left. Cleaned out brake dust and reassembled. All good.
Last job. Nearside rear brake drum removed. No fluid leaks and plenty of brake lining left. Good. Start cleaning out brake dust and notice bottom half of front brake lining is no longer attached to its shoe. Not good.
Guess it is better to discover this at home than for it to part completely while driving, probably locking the wheel and need recovery.
But Sunday afternoon so nowhere open to buy a new set of linings, and Mrs. Silver needs the car tomorrow.

BUGGER!