The grumpy thread

outlaw118

8 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

At what point do I tell my new potential employers to fuck off?

They've already delayed my start date by a month due to a paperwork fuckup by their 3rd party medical company, and my next start date is due to be this coming Monday. However, it looks like things are going pear-shaped again.

If I get delayed again, it'll be another month too.

All this time I've been holding off on putting in too many applications because I had a job lined up already. Now I'm just utterly, utterly, completely fucked off with them.

If they're this disorganised before your first day, think how much more disorganised they could be after you start.....

While driving I had a missed call, waited until I got home to return the call and the chap on the other end doesn't know who I am, what it's about and thinks my phone number is something to do with a communications union! A totally surreal couple of minutes were had.  hate phones!

1 hour ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

If they're this disorganised before your first day, think how much more disorganised they could be after you start.....

Guess what!

Delayed again. Potentially until December for shit's sake.

They now want an eye test, and a more detailed report from my doctor, etc. etc. etc.

It's not like they knew I was joining the company since late March, and it's not like I declared my health condition in the application form I filled in back in Jan/Feb. Oh wait.

Anybody got any vaguely IT related jobs going in Aberdeen? I can also fix bicycles or drive forklifts (not at the same time, although repairing a bike with a forklift would be interesting).

I'm fed up with this endless traffic congestion.

I'm fed up with the sodding smog wafting on the breeze from London.

I'm fed up of being harassed by other road users.

I'm fed up of not knowing where the hell I'm going.

I'm fed up of not being able to get hold of tradesmen to do the simplest tasks.

I'm fed up of the sodding heat.

I'm fed up of feeling like I'm taking my life in my hands if I leave the house after dark.

I'm fed up with the background racket 24/7.

I'm fed up of the screaming kids next door (4x one side, 2x the other).

I'm fed up of every other person I meet being angry about something.

I'm fed up of it never getting dark so I can't see the stars at night.

I'm fed up of the complete disinterest our GP has in actually trying to solve any problems.  Currently waiting to see a councillor - expected wait is currently around two years.  Honestly unsure if I'll not have spontaneously combusted by then...

Why the fluffing hell did I move south?

Then I think about how many billion people would see this as the height of luxury and feel guilty for being grumpy.

3 hours ago, Supernaut said:

They've already delayed my start date by a month due to a paperwork fuckup by their 3rd party medical company, and my next start date is due to be this coming Monday. However, it looks like things are going pear-shaped again.

All this time I've been holding off on putting in too many applications because I had a job lined up already. Now I'm just utterly, utterly, completely fucked off with them.

At the first sign of delay I would (and have) started chasing other jobs.  These days, I make it clear at interview that I have other irons in the fire and it's first come first served. 

Arrogant yes, but can you afford to lose 2 months pay ? 

In your case I'd say nothing, get another offer and start where ever is first. 

4 hours ago, Supernaut said:

I’d string them along personally. First of all, accept that the job isn’t happening. He who doesn’t aim doesn’t miss. Play them at their own game.

Keep trucking along with other applications and if this one does happen - miracle. But I wouldn’t kick them out yet... 

That tyre isn’t pretty!!! 

DDE1F518-F9CA-4030-A291-AAC680529635.jpeg

I’ll be honest, i didn’t look at the tyre condition as it had sailed through the MoT last week.’, but turns out the sodding thing was perished rather badly! That’s what caused the blow out. 

RAc man had balls of steel and changed it roadside (he had a proper Jack mind) and made me feel rather inadequate! 

5 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

I'm fed up with this endless traffic congestion.

I'm fed up with the sodding smog wafting on the breeze from London.

I'm fed up of being harassed by other road users.

I'm fed up of not knowing where the hell I'm going.

I'm fed up of not being able to get hold of tradesmen to do the simplest tasks.

I'm fed up of the sodding heat.

I'm fed up of feeling like I'm taking my life in my hands if I leave the house after dark.

I'm fed up with the background racket 24/7.

I'm fed up of the screaming kids next door (4x one side, 2x the other).

I'm fed up of every other person I meet being angry about something.

I'm fed up of it never getting dark so I can't see the stars at night.

I'm fed up of the complete disinterest our GP has in actually trying to solve any problems.  Currently waiting to see a councillor - expected wait is currently around two years.  Honestly unsure if I'll not have spontaneously combusted by then...

Why the fluffing hell did I move south?

Then I think about how many billion people would see this as the height of luxury and feel guilty for being grumpy.

I have exactly the same feelings (apart from I like the warmth but then I am a southerner). Except our solution is to ... move further South! Admittedly if you go south of Bristol, there isn't a whole lot really if you avoid by the Bristol Channel side. North Somerset it thins out, Somerset just a few small towns - Wells is a city but had 10k people... 

By the time it gets busy again you are in Dorset/Devon and it's beaches with tourists. 

1 hour ago, purplebargeken said:

That is or was, a very tired tyre. I'd be checking the rest very quickly and thoroughly.

The others appear ok, but in two cases are of indeterminable age (can’t find an age marking anywhere) ... another is a 2004 tyre... all bar the 2004 one are Chinese budget jobs. 

I think I might bite the bullet and put 4 new ones on just to be safe...

Why is there even a might in that sentence? You're putting your own and other lives at risk by driving on old tyres. Surely the incident today was a massive warning call!

Heavier vehicle but things still can be as destructive when old tyres let out: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-bristol-47387676

That vehicle had passed its MOT not that long before that incident either. 

Anybody else been harassed by there employer while on annual leave? Started a new job a month back, finally on a permanent contract pending successful completion of probation with a decent pay rise but I honestly think I’d be happier picking in a warehouse on an ongoing temp contract with min wage. Been working on phones in call centres for nearly 7 years now and need to get out of this cycle I am in. 

2 hours ago, brownnova said:

but in two cases are of indeterminable age (can’t find an age marking anywhere)

that in itself is a bit worrying to read weren't age markings made mandatory on tyres at one point so if a tyre lacks them it means its quite old at this stage?

although just checking quickly online now, i can only find things that mention that pre Y2K tyres have a different date coding system to post Y2K tyres

ladders to get on to top of garage , then pull up ladders and tools to use ladders to get up gable end from garage roof ..

got to top of ladders and a bit of a breeze as well just to keep the under wear dept busy  ,

get goo gun out to seal a seam ..

and it broke

spare one is in the garage .... 

18 minutes ago, FPB7 said:

It's raining, I'm wet, I'm knackered at the end of a two week tour and I've got a four hour drive to my hotel in this:

IMG_20190816_084411.thumb.jpg.e55b660bbe59872f44e9c8a187af5da2.jpg

Oh yes, I'm in Stonehaven and Saabnut is down in his summer residence so I can't pop over for a mug of tea.

Head north a bit and you can drop in here and listen to me swear a lot about my employment / not employment situation (elaborated in the depression thread).

Actually, you're probably best just hitting the road.

Also, saying you're wet while in the north-east of Scotland is a bit redundant.