The grumpy thread

outlaw118

1 hour ago, MikeR said:

and you always get the one who does not need a phone to talk to the other side of the world ....

My Grump would be the other way - those that phone you up but you can’t hear because they are holding their mobiles flat  like brain dead idiots off the tv. 

14 hours ago, Parky said:

I am thinking of getting a hat saying “xxxxx is a cunt” and wearing that.  After all if I am in my own home dialling in i can wear home working attire

If he complains or threatens me, I will do the next one in a hat saying “last hat still applies”

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiGoOu3ufrjAhWm34UKHU8CB2wQjRx6BAgBEAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FPaused-Game-Here-Gamer-Baseball%2Fdp%2FB07DKPDR6G&psig=AOvVaw3ZV7rogUHjzyQGdwF3reKS&ust=1565600216262531

last company I worked for had this poxy webcam rule even though we were 100% homeworkers, although it wasnt strictly enforced.

some used to wear onsies , amusing t-shirts, unshaven, mirrored sunglasses, eating ice creams etc. 

The system displayed the main speaker in the big window on every participants screen. we found that by tapping my mic every 4 seconds that individual appear briefly before flicking back to the speaker.

Then we found that you could type anything in textually as your name in the web conference, I was often Bob for no good reason, misspelling their own name seemed to amuse some. Mild profanity others.

Text messages could be sent to every participant also by anyone. "I cannot believe I am being paid for this!" "there is another 1hour of my life I will never get back" etc etc

The biggest crime was changing your on-hold tone of your work mobile phone to a loud piece of company theme music and going on hold during a web conference. nobody could hear anything else. I never did that but a number of others in the global community did. 

a smear of gloop on the lense rendered the image a bit too soft focus, slowly one by one the webcams got turned off and nobody seemed to complain.

Things tightened up at a corporate level but at a team level all manner of mischief kept us alert

Web conferencing was a nice idea, but needs developing more, glad I don't have to do that crap any more.

HALFORDS UPDATE.

Went back, couldn't find the items i'd ordered until I pointed them out waiting for me behind the counter. Ratchet spanner is spot on but the case is from an updated set and has some tools deleted and others added, it all sort-of fits, being plastic I heated it with a hot air gun to some bits would go in. Finally pleased. 

8 hours ago, richardthestag said:

.....The biggest crime was changing your on-hold tone of your work mobile phone to a loud piece of company theme music and going on hold during a web conference. nobody could hear anything else.....

This sounds like great craic, on a level with mobile ringtones to identify certain callers, e.g. Star Wars' "Imperial March" for your senior manager, Saint-Saens' "Danse Macabre" for HR, etc.

On 8/11/2019 at 10:39 AM, EssDeeWon said:

5G IS COMING! Whoopee Doo!

Still waiting to see proof this shiz is safe to be blasted out around us mere mortals and the wildlife.  

For anyone who thinks 5G is just a better quicker version of 4G maybe read up and make your own minds up. 

even faster for what , its like putting the road speed up on a gridlocked road ...

I can make phone calls , get texts , and use the web already ..

as long as I don't go out in the fields  !

I have just driven my T2 out into the street, erected the roof and fitted new curtains, and then I drove it back onto my drive.

Anyone spot what I didn't do?

Yup, forgot to put the top down & drove it into the roof of my car port. What a complete twat.

Insurance job here we come.

This is the first time I'm posting in this thread, and it won't change anything but: I've been driving from Goodwood all the way back to Newcastle yesterday and experienced the whole misery of what is long distant traveling (during the day) in this country. Why are a majority of people here completely incapable of using the inside lanes? Some sections I've been on were 4-lane motorways, yet it was impossible to go 70 on unobstructed sections of road because nobody would move over to the inside lanes, while at the same time leaving 100m+ gaps in front of them. I realize that there are ******* (self censored) all over the roads that believe going 55mph in their Getz is perfectly acceptable, to the point where trucks have to use the 3rd lane in flowing traffic to overtake others. But if the roads are mostly clear and there is no reason to block the entire motorway, move the hell over. This shit is exactly the reason why I will never support a general speedlimit on the Autobahn. Some people really need the fear of being rearend by someone going 100mph to realize that they are holding up everyone behind them.

15 minutes ago, Schaefft said:

This is the first time I'm posting in this thread, and it won't change anything but: I've been driving from Goodwood all the way back to Newcastle yesterday and experienced the whole misery of what is long distant traveling (during the day) in this country. Why are a majority of people here completely incapable of using the inside lanes? Some sections I've been on were 4-lane motorways, yet it was impossible to go 70 on unobstructed sections of road because nobody would move over to the inside lanes, while at the same time leaving 100m+ gaps in front of them. I realize that there are ******* (self censored) all over the roads that believe going 55mph in their Getz is perfectly acceptable, to the point where trucks have to use the 3rd lane in flowing traffic to overtake others. But if the roads are mostly clear and there is no reason to block the entire motorway, move the hell over. This shit is exactly the reason why I will never support a general speedlimit on the Autobahn. Some people really need the fear of being rearend by someone going 100mph to realize that they are holding up everyone behind them.

The middle lane driver is the bane of anyone driving an HGV or bus. Should be a harsher penalty for lane hogging than speeding. Lanes 1 & 2 of the M25 clockwise around the Clackett lane area were empty last night half 8-9pm save the occasional lorry. Lanes 3 & 4 were running at 60-65 because nobody would move over, so I went past most of them in lanes 1 & 2.

2 minutes ago, dozeydustman said:

The middle lane driver is the bane of anyone driving an HGV or bus. Should be a harsher penalty for lane hogging than speeding. Lanes 1 & 2 of the M25 clockwise around the Clackett lane area were empty last night half 8-9pm save the occasional lorry. Lanes 3 & 4 were running at 60-65 because nobody would move over, so I went past most of them in lanes 1 & 2.

Agreed. I did the same on a few occasions, it just pissed me off so much. The problem is, people usually dont even get it when they get overtaken on both sides at the same time and just stay where they are. A majority of drivers have zero awareness and anticipation skills. Whats taught here during driving tests is similar to Germany but having close to the lowest motorway speed limits in the world sure doesn't help educate people on how to focus while driving. Or maybe noone just gives a shit, its not like people know how to indicate either.

Just now, Schaefft said:

Agreed. I did the same on a few occasions, it just pissed me off so much. The problem is, people usually dont even get it when they get overtaken on both sides at the same time and just stay where they are. A majority of drivers have zero awareness and anticipation skills. Whats taught here during driving tests is similar to Germany but having close to the lowest motorway speed limits in the world sure doesn't help educate people on how to focus while driving. Or maybe noone just gives a shit, its not like people know how to indicate either.

Sadly not every learner has access to a dual carriageway or motorway for their lessons. All in favour of making dual carriageway and/or motorway driving part of the driving test. That is providing the instructors practice what they preach when off duty; I've seen plenty of driving school cars where a solo driver (the instructor?) is farting around at 60 in the middle lane.

Through my experience @Schaefft the worst offenders aren't the young or newer drivers, it's:

1. Airport taxis/connections/transfers, normally Addison Lee
  2. Old biddies/giffers in their Jazz/Micra/generic smoll car
  3. Some complete and utter prat who is unaware of their surroundings, goes straight to lane 2 (or 3) and stays there at 60, then sweeps straight across between the 100 yard marker and off slip when they want to leave.

Meanwhile I'm grumpy as it's been quite a decent day and was really sunny at lunchtime. It's now thundering and raining, and I really do need to do my EGR valve.

4 minutes ago, loserone said:

Not just not mandatory, actually not possible to take learners on the motorway until recently.

But letting them practice on a 60mph country road is safer? What crackhead thought up this nonsense? Motorway lessons should be taught towards the end of your driving lessons, before you do the practical test.

1 hour ago, Schaefft said:

I've just come back from a holiday in the USA.  Two weeks of driving on their roads and I can say that we really need to be able to pass/overtake on any lane like they do.  Also turning right (or left in our case) on red traffic lights when it is clear would also help things along.  They also pull over onto the edge of the road when an emergency vehicle is coming (in either direction).  Everything was much more relaxed and no one needs to drive up people's arses.  You get the odd lane weaver, but nothing as bad as over here (that I saw).  Never had to pay for car parking either.

I'm neck deep in a big project that it about to go a bit wrong. Not terribly wrong on the scale of things but it's one of those things that 'important' people will latch onto and complain about to people whose job it is to suck up to 'important' people and pander to their impossible demands. 

The issue has arisen as I was delivering a bit of software to the live environment but it was delayed because, you know things just don't always go as planned. I worked out what the issues were and set about amending them but I got loads of grief off the people that suck up to 'important' people, that I reluctantly pushed it through to live knowing there were issues but with limited impact to that particular project.

Turns out on another project (the one that's about to got a bit tits up), because they both share code it does have a bit of an impact. Fuck oh, well. I'll have to get the original code amended to get it to run for these 800 or so clients. It won't take long.

Oh, apparently we 'don't have time' say the people whose job it is to suck up to 'important' people as they've promised something without checking if it was possible first.  'Why wasn't this sorted before it was delivered to live' they ask. Apparently because 'you told me to deliver it as it was' isn't a good enough answer.

Whats annoying is it's not even my job to do this. I just picked it up as I was the best person to get it to where it is now. So to compound the issue when my manager finds out they'll read me the riot act for even getting involved.

23 minutes ago, myglaren said:

Son has just mowed his lawn and mowed the cable too.

I had a connector to splice in. Saw it last week - nowhere to be seen now.

OK, solder and heatshrink.  Can I find either - take a guess.

I did that once.got a right telling off.

4 hours ago, Schaefft said:

But letting them practice on a 60mph country road is safer? What crackhead thought up this nonsense? Motorway lessons should be taught towards the end of your driving lessons, before you do the practical test.

What happens if you live in Norfolk or Suffolk (other places are available) with no motorway?