The grumpy thread

outlaw118

On 7/27/2019 at 8:30 AM, Tetleysmooth said:

I'm STILL fighting for my HGV entitlement. It ran out on July 8th.

I've done another field of vision test, because the DVLA weren't happy with the way Specsavers did the first one.

The worst thing of all though, is my GP. The DVLA wrote to him requiring some info about my heart. At my GP's request, I had a heart ultrasound test a couple of months ago. I'm pretty sure my heart condition is normal. I went to see my GP yesterday - at his request - about a COPD review. Well, we hardly talked about COPD, I got stuck into him about the DVLA letter. He's had it sitting in his drawer for weeks and hadn't acted on it. He'd totally forgot about the heart ultrasound he'd sent me for. We had some harsh words. He wanted to know why I didn't do my HGV medical with him. I told him he was too expensive, he charges about a hundred quid. I got it for £47. I told him if he did it for 47 quid, I'd gladly go to him. He tried to infer I HAD to go to him for the medical. I told him in so many words that that was bollocks, I can go where I like.

Harsh words had the desired effect though, because about 30 mins after I got home, I had a call from the surgery to tell me the doctor had posted my cardiogram results off to the DVLA and there was a copy for me waiting at the surgery. I'm back there on Monday for a blood test - again at his request, so I'll pick it up then.

Jesus, once the DVLA and the medics get their hooks in you, it's bloody hard to wriggle free.

Hi, A few years ago when renewing my HGV the Doctors practice  messed up my eye test. There are two sizes of the Snellen chart done at two different distances, guess what happened? In conversation with Doctor about this, and her not wanting to admit they might have messed up, it was decided I would go for an opticians eye test and new glasses (too long since the last one)  So at the Doctor's  suggestion the result should be included with the medical form.  A little while later DVSA wrote to tell me that my application had gone to their medical assessment team, because my licence was about to run out I phoned them and I was told "Not to worry, my licence would still be valid until I was told it was not".  It later came back all good.  I pass this along for what it's worth and you can check for yourself.  I put mine down to the fact more information was included than was required and it confused them, bless 'em.

Good luck.

Colin

3 hours ago, auld_ALS said:

you have rattled their cage I.e. you have called them out, they know you are right and they dont like it.

Aye. I've even encountered folk like that on here...

I earned my user title, and I'll proudly display it. :D

4 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

I don't trust the online system.

The dead tree method involves a bored HMRC cubicle dweller entering your precious data into the same system everyone else uses; which is more likely to fuck up? Data entry rots the brain.

4 hours ago, treehugger said:

Broddling in my ear absently yesterday n realised had gone almost deaf......start using bit of metal n earbuds got tonsa wax out, still not right though, can hear squelching. Suppose if try n get it syringed will have to wait 3 months.

Hot showers, as hot as you can stand; hold your head sideways so the water goes in your ear, pause, then alternate to the other side, rinse and repeat for a minute or two or until you get vertigo and fall over. Do that once or twice a day and the wax will come out in disgusting lumps within a week or so.

Today's tough question. Do I want to swap a £1300 car for a fucking scrapyard dodging shitty Merc A140 thing that's worth about £200 on a very good day?

Looks like a no.

4 hours ago, somewhatfoolish said:

The dead tree method involves a bored HMRC cubicle dweller entering your precious data into the same system everyone else uses; which is more likely to fuck up? Data entry rots the brain....

I'd rather someone else fucked it up.

Sunday is paperwork day. Checked bank account this morning. Looked good.  Sacked off paperwork for a bit and browsed leboncoin for shonky old Citroens, tagged a few candidates ? Back to the paperwork and noticed this quarters tax is due before the 1st. Bollox that means actual paperwork.    Done now . Bank account will be less good on the first ?.

Also noticed a client is late in paying a tax bill sized invoice.

I need a secretary.

And to spend less time on leboncoin.

10 hours ago, treehugger said:

Broddling in my ear absently yesterday n realised had gone almost deaf......start using bit of metal n earbuds got tonsa wax out, still not right though, can hear squelching. Suppose if try n get it syringed will have to wait 3 months.................if you're eating, bon apettite!

Oh and puss threw up on living room carpet at 6am.

Boots ear drops. About 4quid, RTFI.

Works a treat.

Another 2 knockbacks for internal applications from my current employer this morning and to add to that my colleague whom has been a nightmare to manage was successful in her internal job application. I have now accepted that I'm not worth anything like the job I currently have, after 27 rejections it's obvious. I'm just going to get my redundancy then apply for a much lower paid job. Fleet and home may need to be downsized as a result. Could die right now!

Been out in the Jag for the first time post MOT,  they have removed the back seat to get at the seatbelt and now I can't get it back properly, dashboard was lit up like a Christmas tree due to the handbrake being on and a seatbelt being done up with no one sat in the seat and the seat was so far forward I could barely get in! I bloody hate it when they do shit like that.

Everything sorted apart from the back seat base, just cannot get the bugger to lock in place and there's no room and it hurts my poor little body trying to contort into tight spaces.

10 hours ago, auld_ALS said:

Another 2 knockbacks for internal applications from my current employer this morning and to add to that my colleague whom has been a nightmare to manage was successful in her internal job application. I have now accepted that I'm not worth anything like the job I currently have, after 27 rejections it's obvious. I'm just going to get my redundancy then apply for a much lower paid job. Fleet and home may need to be downsized as a result. Could die right now!

You know difficult people get moved all the time, right? 

Wagon started misbehaving today. It got to accelerating from standing still to 2 km per hour in about 4-5 seconds. Looks like a clutch job. It's the second since I have it, the first one lasted about 20 k miles. Maybe I don't have to drive it like I've stolen it all the time.

On 7/28/2019 at 10:02 AM, treehugger said:

Broddling in my ear absently yesterday n realised had gone almost deaf......start using bit of metal n earbuds got tonsa wax out, still not right though, can hear squelching. Suppose if try n get it syringed will have to wait 3 months.................if you're eating, bon apettite!

Oh and puss threw up on living room carpet at 6am.

Try a weak solution of Hydrogen Peroxide.  Fizzes - interestingly - and shouldn't be used too often.

Peroxide often available from women's hairdressers (daughter was a beautician once over)

Trick learned from a Leonard Cohen novel, The Favourite Game, half a century ago :)

Can I just say, those people who have just broken up from work for 5 weeks can get in the sea.....

Stop being grumpy and get in the sea......

Literally....it's only a mile away..

1 hour ago, myglaren said:

Try a weak solution of Hydrogen Peroxide.  Fizzes - interestingly - and shouldn't be used too often.

Peroxide often available from women's hairdressers (daughter was a beautician once over)

Trick learned from a Leonard Cohen novel, The Favourite Game, half a century ago :)

I pay £50 once every couple of years to get them professionally cleaned out with a sucky thing. Every time I go they say I can prevent the build up by popping some warm olive oil in my ear once a week but apparently that's too much like hard work and when I suddenly go deaf again a couple of years later I'm back again, hand in pocket.

Had them water syringed before at the doctors but it's a bit of a wait normally to get an appointment and £50 is worth it to be able to hear, although it has to be said I do sleep better being deaf as Mrs Imp has to get up about 10 times a night and I don't notice when I'm hard of hearing.

kerry and i have had a row over the lexus.

kerry wants to~"sort out the air conditioning" which worked for maybe 10 days when we first got the car 3 years ago.

i say no, don't waste money on that when the car is desperate for a service (not been done as long as we've owned it, 3 odd years and 15,000 miles) and even more for a cambelt (18 years and 35,000 miles since that was last done) but no, apparently i am wrong cos having a/c is more important, after all its been hot mow for a couple of weeks, and opening the window isn't an option....

i'm just going to leave Kerry to it., and wash my hands of the whole affair.

though when it blows up it will be "my fault"

EDIT - to force the issue i've gone and ordered a service kit, minus the spark plugs for the Lexus......

6 hours ago, myglaren said:

Boots ear wax solution, about £4, does job.

eBay have frozen my account for 7 days as I communicated with a buyer outside of their message facility, so if someone wants to come and view an item they need to buy it first.

I had a warning recently because a potential buyer tried to send me their number too!

FUCK EBAY. 

24 minutes ago, loserone said:

The guy I bought my 305 wings from had a persistent auction for a body panel with a sticker on with a "part number" on.

I had a photo of a post it note with my number on, seems they caught me out. Didn’t help that the guy sent me a request for my number and address about 4 times though.