The grumpy thread

outlaw118

2 hours ago, MorrisItalSLX said:

I preordered a book back in early March (for an April release) through Amazon and I just received an email saying the book I ordered is no longer available.

What woeful service. I have never used Amazon before and I certainly will not be using them again.

I went into town afterwards and bought it straight off the shelf at the local book shop. So much for preordering to get it ASAP.

Unusual.  All my orders and pre-orders turn up early - except the LP I ordered for my granddaughter's birthday.  That took three weeks.

The camera I ordered recently was set to take five weeks, delivered in five days.

3 hours ago, Asimo said:

Amazon.com still ships to UK

Capture.PNG

I got quite excited on this as it is half the price, or less, than the ones I have found, but unfortunately it may fit an e30 but probably noy many e28s which have 23.81mm bore cylinders (15/16ths to those like me brought up using proper measurements which ATE must have been using). 

I have been looking for a european source which would avoid high shipping costs, VAT and customs duty, but only second hand so far.

You might say - rebuild it, but kits aren't available for the later e28 master cylinders and I've seen a post that says they not rebuildable due to the way they are put together, and right hand drive and left hand drive are different. 

So it's nearly £250 and a repetition from Mrs K - "I've  told you many times that you should have sold it"

So it's nearly £250 and a repetition from Mrs K - "I've  told you many times that you should have sold it"

Ha! Remind her[in Back to the Future mode] that newer/more complex cars could have been bought but 'low cost/high liability' would have had a lot more £250 /nls repairs required :(

4 hours ago, 95 quid Peugeot said:

Exactly the same as me.  Chrisjvm citroen and saab

Ah but for visitors Stoke ( as people think it) is really just lots of smaller towns.  Longton, (proper shit hole), kidsgrove, (acceptable) , Newcastle,  (Parts are quite middle class), Burslem, (There's nothing to be said, apart from run run run), Tunstall (not the best), Stoke,(can't say too much). Theres probably a few more ive missed. 

There's a few suburbs that are quite nice.  I'm working near Trentham Gardens and staying tonight in a hotel in Clayton. Both are quite reasonable places. 

No offence to any one that lives there, but the loss of ceramics and coal and other manufacturing industry must have hit it hard.  There's lots of warehouses on great field sites. 

27 minutes ago, New POD said:

....for visitors Stoke ( as people think it) is really just lots of smaller towns.  Longton, (proper shit hole), kidsgrove, (acceptable) , Newcastle,  (Parts are quite middle class), Burslem, (There's nothing to be said, apart from run run run), Tunstall (not the best), Stoke,(can't say too much). There's probably a few more i've missed...... 

I ended up in Werrington (for the Ro80), and Mow Cop (for the CX). Mow Cop has some brilliant views but God Almighty the state of the road surfaces are shite.

2 hours ago, kirton said:

I got quite excited on this as it is half the price, or less, than the ones I have found, but unfortunately it may fit an e30 but probably noy many e28s which have 23.81mm bore cylinders (15/16ths to those like me brought up using proper measurements which ATE must have been using). 

I have been looking for a european source which would avoid high shipping costs, VAT and customs duty, but only second hand so far.

You might say - rebuild it, but kits aren't available for the later e28 master cylinders and I've seen a post that says they not rebuildable due to the way they are put together, and right hand drive and left hand drive are different. 

So it's nearly £250 and a repetition from Mrs K - "I've  told you many times that you should have sold it"

Long shot, but have you tried Past Parts in Bury St Edmunds?

7 hours ago, kirton said:

WTF

I want a new brake master cylinder for my BMW e28, NLA from BMW so I try the USA where there are many e28's

just got this from a parts retailer

We regrettably aren’t able to ship to the UK due to new privacy regulations enacted in the EU, which you will find with many American vendors. I'm so sorry for the inconvenience because I absolutely understand.

Have they got the wrong end of the stick?  This if true will is very bad news for a lot of car owners

now to try some others

Try the Autodoc app,put 41727 into the search box.It's €162 on the app.

Also,try eBay.de item no.153496859741

1 hour ago, kirton said:

Thanks to rdtjones looks like I have plenty of choice on ebay.de and at a reasonable price; now for a quick course in German via Google translate. Some of the prices are crazy, 999 Euro for a thermostat I'm sure they don't have in stock, why do they play that game?

Because it costs to list on eBay. If you're out of stock, you set the price really high so no one bids but you don't have to delete the listing. 

5 hours ago, New POD said:

Ah but for visitors Stoke ( as people think it) is really just lots of smaller towns.  Longton, (proper shit hole), kidsgrove, (acceptable) , Newcastle,  (Parts are quite middle class), Burslem, (There's nothing to be said, apart from run run run), Tunstall (not the best), Stoke,(can't say too much). Theres probably a few more ive missed. 

Newcastle (under Lyme) is not part of Stoke, it's a separate town and borough.  Kidsgrove is also part of Newcastle borough. 

Had to go down to bordesley green in Birmingham today. Needed a cv joint for the jap bus and a nice man down there had them in stock.  It's a lovely * place , well it might be. But both there and back on the m6 I may have had to go into the first lane and undertake ,sort of safely . Actual knobheads in lane three and four doing 65 mph with clear spaces in lanes one and two to pull into. I think if you made it ten lanes wide . The outer two would be full of people doing 65 whilst the others go faster. 

On 7/22/2019 at 12:47 PM, Stanky said:

Yo Rovorsche, what engine does the mower have? That carb doesn't look familar but the symptoms sound like the issues you get with Briggs and Stratton 148cc engines when the carb diaphragm stretches, which they all do after about 3-4 years. To begin with the primer bulb works, but the diaphragm won't maintain vacuum so new petrol isn't sucked in during running - hence it runs for whats been squeezed in by the priming bulb then conks out when they is used up. if you can get a photo of the engine i can give more info, but its almost certainly not terminal.

It looks like this, at the moment, not a single hammer mark, boot imprint or fire damage.

48360209741_34693c9938_z.jpg

The actual carb looks like this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mouchao-Carburetor-799583-Stratton-Lawnmower/dp/B07SLL495H/ref=sr_1_23?keywords=briggs+carburetor+799583

The one I ordered hasnt turned up and I cannot see the one I ordered but there are legions of Chinese clones for this part.
I fear my one will never arrive.

I could not see anywhere for a diaphragm to exist in this setup.

7 hours ago, adw1977 said:

Newcastle (under Lyme) is not part of Stoke, it's a separate town and borough.  Kidsgrove is also part of Newcastle borough. 

Yeah? But as most people just drive past on the M6 they see them as all the same place. 

6 hours ago, taxi paul said:

Had to go down to bordesley green in Birmingham today. Needed a cv joint for the jap bus and a nice man down there had them in stock.  It's a lovely * place , well it might be. But both there and back on the m6 I may have had to go into the first lane and undertake ,sort of safely . Actual knobheads in lane three and four doing 65 mph with clear spaces in lanes one and two to pull into. I think if you made it ten lanes wide . The outer two would be full of people doing 65 whilst the others go faster. 

Not used the motorways recently? 

I have a regular 10 year experience of junction 15 to junction 21A and i will tell you that the 4 lanes have made it better.  As you say the trick is to only leave lane 1 if you have to.  Undertaking may be frowned upon, but it's impossible* not to. 

The other trick is to have an alternative. 

M54, A41 M56 is slow but predictable. 

A50, through Holmes Chapel and Knutsford is too close to M6 and therefore gridlocked if there's a problem. 

6 hours ago, taxi paul said:

Its the same anywhere. I travel regularly to Gloucestershire from Worcestershire on the M5. Loads of middle-lane knob heads just cruising along with nothing around them. Same when I went to London on the M40. People are just turn off thinking about driving and think of something else so their concentration isn't on thier driving apart from what directly in front of them.

Sorry, but you can stop tarnishing the rest of the country with that brush.  The motorways only get shit when you get south of Leeds, and they get better again once you cross the channel.

5 minutes ago, loserone said:

The motorways only get shit when you get south of Leeds, and they get better again once you cross the channel.

I think that pretty much sums up our motorways.  

8 hours ago, adw1977 said:

Hence both are in the county of Staffordshire, not the unitary authority of Stoke-on-Trent, though ribbon development westward along the A50 puts the outer edge of Kidsgrove over the line into Cheshire.

Laugh a minute sometimes, my job - trust me!

10 hours ago, taxi paul said:

I often think we should reverse the lanes on motorways, let the twats inhabit the ‘fast lanes’ whilst the rest of us fly past them in the ‘slow lanes’.

3 hours ago, loserone said:

Sorry, but you can stop tarnishing the rest of the country with that brush.  The motorways only get shit when you get south of Leeds, and they get better again once you cross the channel.

As someone who was a trade plater and drove regularly pretty much every single motorway on a regular basis, I can say that many drivers do still drive in pretty much the same manner around England. The motorways of North (North Yorks etc...) are a lot less congested and clearer of cars but you still find a few middle-lane dawdlers and "fast" lane hoggers. It just gets a hell of a lot more congested this of Leeds.

12 minutes ago, Tamworthbay said:

I often think we should reverse the lanes on motorways, let the twats inhabit the ‘fast lanes’ whilst the rest of us fly past them in the ‘slow lanes’.

That is exactly what I am beggining to see see now and what I used to do. The M42 south by South Birmingham/Solihull heading to the M42/M40 split was a regular spot for being massively congested, particularly for people heading up the M42 to the M5. I'd fly past a good 30mins of queues on the inside lane, see a nice large space near the split and safely filter in. It often saved me 30/40 mins on my journey home.

9 hours ago, Rovorsche said:

It looks like this, at the moment, not a single hammer mark, boot imprint or fire damage.

48360209741_34693c9938_z.jpg

The actual carb looks like this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mouchao-Carburetor-799583-Stratton-Lawnmower/dp/B07SLL495H/ref=sr_1_23?keywords=briggs+carburetor+799583

The one I ordered hasnt turned up and I cannot see the one I ordered but there are legions of Chinese clones for this part.
I fear my one will never arrive.

I could not see anywhere for a diaphragm to exist in this setup.

Hmm, thats a later engine than I'm familar with - and probably dispenses with the diaphragm as the tank is above the carb, not below it (as with the older engines which needed vacuum to keep sucking fuel once they'd been started). It has a priming bulb, correct? And when used, the mower runs until the primer fuel has been used up then dies? Has it got a fuel cut-off tap thats not fully open? Can you get it running, have an assistant hold the dead mans handle down (or use a g-clamp) and manually actuate the throttle butterfly to see if you can get it to run like that? Obviously not a long-term solution but would help to identify if its an issue with the throttle butterfly and/or the springs that control it. The springs are made of really cheap thin wire and lose tension with age.

Me and Mrs Tet set off for the garden centre in her Pajero yesterday morning. Still can't use the Saab, still waiting for the exhaust to be fitted. Just as we turned onto the A1306 - BLAHHHHH - really loud. The exhaust blew somewhere up the front end. It turned out that when I deleted the EGR valve, I left a little piece of pipe attached and blanked that off. It was this piece which had split. So, I had to remove that and fit the blanking plate to the exhaust manifold. In that heat. With a red hot engine. And effing inaccessible. It took me hours. I had filthy hands and arm right up past the elbows. And cuts!! For fuck's sake, it looked like I'd gone ten rounds with the Wolverine. I hope I don't have to do that again anytime soon.

And before anyone asks why I don't do the Saab exhaust myself, I get some sort of claustrophobia working right under cars now, makes me feel quite unwell actually.

57 minutes ago, Lord Sterling said:

That is exactly what I am beggining to see see now and what I used to do. The M42 south by South Birmingham/Solihull heading to the M42/M40 split was a regular spot for being massively congested, particularly for people heading up the M42 to the M5. I'd fly past a good 30mins of queues on the inside lane, see a nice large space near the split and safely filter in. It often saved me 30/40 mins on my journey home.

Yes, that's a lovely stretch of road to do some legitimate undertaking - as long as you stay within the variable speed limit, if lanes 3 and 4 are going slower (they always are), absolutely fine to undertake there in my opinion (the old Highway Code blarney about overtaking on the left)