The grumpy thread

outlaw118

24 minutes ago, strangeangel said:

My old SIII Land Rover came equipped with keyless entry. No fecker stole that thing though (more's the pity) ?

My Lotus 7 didn't have doors (or a roof) nobody stole that either, even though I usually parked it in a bomb-site car park when I worked in Cheltenham. It had also been rewired badly, so most things worked with the ignition off. After a few times where the battery was flat, due to kids playing in it putting the lights and wipers on I started putting it in the work garage during the day while we had the van out. (That was in 1983 though, doubt it would last five minutes now)

4 minutes ago, busmansholiday said:

Ha, ha, it's probably because they have scraped those wonderful* P*cers and forgotten to buy some more clapped out ex West Midlands 150's.

Good call, but today's fiasco (I ended up on a fucking bus and got home three hours after starting my journey) was apparently caused by a 'track inspection'.

I'm actually returning to Halfords to exchange a couple of broken bits from my Advanced socket set, i;m also hoping to buy approx 10 replacement sockets due to me losing them over the years. The plastic case is borked so I might be cheeky and see of that's covered in their warranty. I'll report back on the results, If I can't find a store assistant within 4 hours I'll try again another day. 

I had to change it a couple of years ago - I had a pro account bundled with my ISP - BT as they use Yahoo for mail services.

They cut ties with BT and I had to apply my other Yahoo email account to it and they dropped the pro service.

I did log in about six weeks ago with no issues.

Wanted the photo's of my GS.  Have them here somewhere but many drives, dongles and DVDs to plough through to locate.

If at first you don't succeed                                                                                                                                      buggerit!

Popped back into Halfords this morning to exchange a couple of broken items from my socket set and buy some replacements for sockets lost over the years. Got there at 9.15, two members of staff on site, one changing a bulb outside and the other frantically trying to deal with customers inside. 

I managed to get an exchange universal joint thingy (abused to death) and buy 3 replacement sockets but the poor woman was rushed off her feet, didn't know how to use the system and didn't know what a 13mm double ended ratchet ring spanner was known as on the system, so couldn't order a replacement for my broken one and advised me to come back another day when there was more staff on but didn't know when that would be. I gave up on the 6 or so other replacements I needed for lost sockets, as they were all 1/4 inch and again, she couldn't find them on the system, she also didn't know if replacement cases were included in the warranty. All the time the queue of customers was getting longer and longer and I could feel eyes burning into the back of me.

I did like the buzz of shiny new tools going into my elderly socket set though.

I'll go back another day.

A couple of weeks ago on my way back home, I called in to see a very good friend as he had just been released from Hospital. No one was sure what was wrong apart from Noro Virus and Pneumonia which he was in for. He was very much better and his usual cheery self.

Travelling down to France Weds evening I had a call from my other friend there saying he had been taken back into hospital, but nothing to worry about, and as I was planning on spending 6 weeks in France decided to carry on and planned on visiting him on the way home.

Just had a call from my friend saying the other friend passed away at 0800 this morning. He was 65 years old and previously was the fittest man I knew.

FFS

43 minutes ago, Saabnut said:

A couple of weeks ago on my way back home, I called in to see a very good friend as he had just been released from Hospital. No one was sure what was wrong apart from Noro Virus and Pneumonia which he was in for. He was very much better and his usual cheery self.

Travelling down to France Weds evening I had a call from my other friend there saying he had been taken back into hospital, but nothing to worry about, and as I was planning on spending 6 weeks in France decided to carry on and planned on visiting him on the way home.

Just had a call from my friend saying the other friend passed away at 0800 this morning. He was 65 years old and previously was the fittest man I knew.

FFS

Sorry to hear that

Hospitals employ staff to evaluate and send people home, it's the older generation that doesn't want to be there so agrees

2013 my wife felt bad so saturday at midnight we were in A&E, some halfwit asked her to walk a few meters which she did very badly then he tried discharging her , this wasn't happening so we kicked up a fuss and she got admitted, next morning she was paralysed ,in hospital for 6 weeks and almost a year to recover but her face is still paralysed on one side

If she had gone home she could be dead now

Not sure if a grump really, just a bit weird. Over the last couple of weeks we have had deliveries of food via Uber eats or whatever it is. All very nice but sadly none of it was ordered by us. Our address and post code, just not us. Tonight the doorbell goes, - small amount of chinese food, nope not mine matey, order name is Elaine R, the mobile number given isn't picked up. Poor bloke has to phone uber and I verify it isn't for me. He then has to wait for a specific time before he is authorised to dispose of the food.  He cycled all the way here too.

Even weirder is that the food has to be paid for prior to it being made and delivered, such a waste of food and time. 

1 hour ago, purplebargeken said:

Not sure if a grump really, just a bit weird. Over the last couple of weeks we have had deliveries of food via Uber eats or whatever it is. All very nice but sadly none of it was ordered by us. Our address and post code, just not us. Tonight the doorbell goes, - small amount of chinese food, nope not mine matey, order name is Elaine R, the mobile number given isn't picked up. Poor bloke has to phone uber and I verify it isn't for me. He then has to wait for a specific time before he is authorised to dispose of the food.  He cycled all the way here too.

Even weirder is that the food has to be paid for prior to it being made and delivered, such a waste of food and time. 

Some sort of mad psychological practical joke?

Just set off for Yarm, one of my daughter's is doing a pop-up bakery today.

Five miles down the road and lots of vibration - feels like a wheel bearing.

Came off at a roundabout and head back home, strong pong of burning brake pads.

I have noticed that there seems to be a warped disc and now it looks like a piston has stuck, holding the pad on that disc.

Car is in for MOT on Monday and he is going to change that disc anyway.  Probably a new caliper too now :(

Decided to fix the driver's door problems today with the brother. Take off doorcard. No problems there. Look inside void to find the door latch. Found. Operate the outside door handle which is causing all of the problems... Ah, I see a problem. The rod that is meant to be transferring the handle action to the latch is in the bottom of the door. The latch module itself is fine. Great... £200 wasted on parts. Instead, the outside door handle itself has broken.

1430714988_IMG_06461.thumb.JPG.271d6ba36e332b28917e39b7aa8286f1.JPG

That black piece of plastic next to the spring is meant to have an arm with a hole come off of it. The arm has broken off. Luckily, we found it at the bottom of the door. Brother Fumbler had the door resprayed after he had some dents pulled out so we think the handle wasn't reinstalled properly. Oh well, a driver's door latch module is now part of the parts roster that goes with the car once we sell it.

On 7/19/2019 at 10:19 PM, purplebargeken said:

I've had similar quite a few times recently although not being as kind or as patient as you I didn't hang about to hear their story, rather I just said, "nah, not me mate" and closed the door.

I wonder if it's a coincidence or what.

Is there a similar named road close by?

There is a road in the next village with the same name as ours and no sat navs seem to recognise ours as it is a numbered row of houses on a main road rather than an actual separate road.

They get loads of our stuff delivered there.

Not just parcels, they got two sofas and an entire IKEA kitchen once.

Luckily we know them and they are nice enough to bring stuff round or text us or redirect the driver.

Incidentally, my mates brother got substantial compensation from the met police a few years ago after they smashed his front door in at 3am and dragged him and his partner out of bed in a heavy handed manner and had then cuffed and laid face down in the street at gunpoint still in their underwear before it became clear they were at the wrong address. So it could be worse!

36 minutes ago, Timewaster said:

..... my mates brother got substantial compensation from the met police a few years ago after they smashed his front door in at 3am and dragged him and his partner out of bed in a heavy handed manner and had then cuffed and laid face down in the street at gunpoint still in their underwear before it became clear they were at the wrong address. ...

That sounds like the Met alright

On 6/24/2019 at 10:57 AM, captain_70s said:

Yup. I'd just park elsewhere. A 10min walk is a lesser evil than vandalised cars... A sad state of affairs but that's the way of things.

I was out on the roads on Friday around 16:30, an unusual time for me because shift work. The amount of yelling and horn blowing and angry wheelspin starts was quite the eye opener... A lot of people VERY angry over not a lot... GCC's buslanes-for-fucking-up-traffic-flow policy.

EFA

On 7/16/2019 at 9:22 PM, Zelandeth said:

Just finished this.

IMG_20190716_211240.thumb.jpg.ded5845b9b2e998154f209d2ebfd3cc3.jpg

My last can of old recipe Irn Bru.  Therefore probably my last one, period.  Which is a shame as it used to be a personal favourite.

I'm intolerant to Aspartame (causes me crippling migraines even in small quantities) and the other sweeteners that were dumped into everything not using Aspartame with the introduction of the sugar tax taste to me as though someone has dumped a couple of spoons of vinegar in the drink.

Go take a look in your average supermarket and see what options you have not including Aspartame, Stevia, Steviol, sucralose etc as a sweetener these days.  You'll find that your options are basically Classic Coke and Pepsi.  Though I have discovered that Tesco now stock Mtn Dew (the proper stuff, not the Energy version which tastes well different) in their Jamaican section...so have been basically clearing them out every time I pass by.

There was a newspaper article in the last couple of weeks that Barr's sales figures have fallen off a cliff as a result of the recipe change, so there may be a "new! improved! actually the same old sugary death! recipe" introduced at some point, no doubt at a premium price.

17 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

That sounds like the Met alright

Similar happened to my sister, police smashed the door in looking for drugs but found out after 5 mins of ransacking the place that they had the right house number on the wrong road. 

According to the advert for new Fords I heard on the radio most of us need to scrap our cars because if the Aircon doesnt work and you cant connect your phone to  play music it needs to be scrapped.

Good news is they will give you £2000 towards a huge debt for the rest of your life.

It might be the same ad, but I heard one the other day offering to accept anything for scrapping registered before 2012, that's almost a new car!! Absolute madness for the plebs to believe this is anything other than sales tactics and bugger all to do with the environment

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

I've had to pretty much give up on drinking pop, probably a good thing really, but due to the artificial sweeteners which give me a banging headache too.
I'm not paying £2 for a bottle of proper Pepsi too which is what ASDA often have it on sale for.
Used to be able to get away with non diet lemonade but I got crippled with a migraine from Morrisons' lemonade the other day so I'm finished with pop.

Internet and landline went offline since Friday evening with the pathetic attempt at a thunderstorm, was on sporadic yesterday, and only came back on with some degree of stable connectivity at half 8 this morning, following a day offline on Wednesday. We don't have strong aerial reception for the TV so we stream most of what we watch. Neighbours were also affected (some still are) so I don't think this was a supplier specific thing. Friday evening's thunderstorm was disappointing as well. Connection is woefully slow at the moment as there is still an outage showing in the area around Chichester on istheservicedown.co.uk

Quite ironically I need to fit a new telephone socket at my father-in-law's place later today.

This isn't the grump, what is the grump is myself, Mrs D and stepdaughter are so engrossed in our tech we haven't got a fucking clue (as an fambly) what to do without an internet once all the daily running of the household was finished and the only board game we have is scrabble.