The grumpy thread

outlaw118

The house hunt is going great*.  I have been learning the local lingo for rented properties.  Prices start at £850 pcm for a two bedroom property which is only that on a technicality, and goes up quite a long way from there.

Off road parking - a space tucked around the back of the property large enough to store a Sinclair C5.  If it's around the back of the property, access is narrower than the space provided.

Modernised - everything is painted in the cheapest white paint possible.  Everything.

Spacious - The opposite of this

Period features - old shit they couldn't figure out how to remove and so painted white.

Close to local amenities - there's four schools and you can see all of them from your living room.  Alternatively, right on a busy A-road.  Alternatively, both of these things.

Desirable location - The opposite of this

Community/shared parking - an area not large enough to park one vehicle per property that's poorly maintained and with access that's a danger to both door mirrors and suspension

An excellent opportunity - The opposite of this

Maisonette - a small house that's been carved up into even smaller flats, like it's the 60s or something.

Ideal for professionals - a really small shithole, painted white throughout

Large garden - usually true.  However, the term 'garden' is applied in only the very loosest sense

Garage - Shed

In need of modernisation - Can't be arsed to paint everything white.  Only the carpet the previous tenant died on has been removed.  Nothing has been cleaned.  Last decorated in 1975.  (This one usually applies to stuff for sale than rent)

Ideal family home - An interior that looks like an explosion in a paint factory and an explosion in a soup factory, with questionable stains on the carpets, broken plastic toys in the Large Garden (see above), and a wheelie bin with the wrong house number on it.  See also Close To Local Amenities, and Desirable Location, above.

Was just thinking "must be in the next week or so the Lada's MOT is up..." but couldn't find it on my calendar.

Dug out the paperwork.  7the June.  Oops.

Excuse me while I go and find someone to kick my head in.  I'm really careful with stuff like that but still manage to foul it up.

Oh well...no backup vehicle for FotU then!  It's plan A or bust.

Other grump: I started trying to sell the Lada the moment it passed the last MOT.  It's expired now and the damn thing is still here!

5 hours ago, vulgalour said:

The house hunt is going great*.  I have been learning the local lingo for rented properties.  Prices start at £850 pcm for a two bedroom property which is only that on a technicality, and goes up quite a long way from there.

Off road parking - a space tucked around the back of the property large enough to store a Sinclair C5.  If it's around the back of the property, access is narrower than the space provided.

Modernised - everything is painted in the cheapest white paint possible.  Everything.

Spacious - The opposite of this

Period features - old shit they couldn't figure out how to remove and so painted white.

Close to local amenities - there's four schools and you can see all of them from your living room.  Alternatively, right on a busy A-road.  Alternatively, both of these things.

Desirable location - The opposite of this

Community/shared parking - an area not large enough to park one vehicle per property that's poorly maintained and with access that's a danger to both door mirrors and suspension

An excellent opportunity - The opposite of this

Maisonette - a small house that's been carved up into even smaller flats, like it's the 60s or something.

Ideal for professionals - a really small shithole, painted white throughout

Large garden - usually true.  However, the term 'garden' is applied in only the very loosest sense

Garage - Shed

In need of modernisation - Can't be arsed to paint everything white.  Only the carpet the previous tenant died on has been removed.  Nothing has been cleaned.  Last decorated in 1975.  (This one usually applies to stuff for sale than rent)

Ideal family home - An interior that looks like an explosion in a paint factory and an explosion in a soup factory, with questionable stains on the carpets, broken plastic toys in the Large Garden (see above), and a wheelie bin with the wrong house number on it.  See also Close To Local Amenities, and Desirable Location, above.

Go for the one with the white paint.  So much better than magnolia

19 hours ago, HillmanImp said:

Fuckkit. I'm off out to give it another go. 

LETS DO THIS! 

I sort of did it. Did some of the shittest welding ever to remove the hole below (picture of shit welding not included). 

IMG_20190715_101647922.thumb.jpg.3c3962aa8427cbf8b8f2b216ef54865a.jpg

I think that will just be to stop mice moving in whilst I store it and decide what to do though. 

Life. Literally just general fucking bastard life....

Wife - on my back about various things. Gets the arse with me.

Work - on my back about some arsehole customer who acts all arsey because they didn't get thier way so left bad feedback. Colleagues get arsey with me as it's my fault.

Money - asked for a payrise, collegue gets one after a year of service, I don't, I ask, I don't get an answer. Meanwhile I'm fucking struggling again, dipping into the money that is supposed to be for my wifes visa.

Family - all sorted but did get arsey with me because of my constant struggling.

I am literally on the edge of losing my shit. I actually feel shakey.

1 hour ago, auld_ALS said:

I hear ya chap.

Work, sounds as if they are not even worth your head space. Family though, have you told those around you how they are making you feel?

Yeah I did. Not sure if they fully understand though, they are going thier own struggles though.  It just seems to be one thing after the other right now.

41 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

Sounds like you need to come on down to the FoD this weekend and forget about it all for a bit! 

Would love to man but can't afford the monies or the time.  Home though, sounds like a good alternative. A nice chilled weekend where I can shut the world out is looking very attractive.

I was out for a drive, doing some errands and some shopping etc.

I shouldn't have bothered.

1: A VW Caddy doing 30mph max on an NSL road, and braking for every single corner, not even tight ones.

2: A 19 reg Hyundai i10 that did 10mph in a 40mph zone then took aaaaaages to speed up.

3: A training bus on a backroad nowhere remotely near a bus route, chugging along at 35mph billowing out black smoke and squealing like a pig in distress.

4: A taxi parked all over the middle of a junction causing utter chaos.

5: Just as I pulled into my street, a barried up transit van was slowly pulling out of a space, looked straight at me, then kept driving straight at me forcing me up onto the kerb.

These people are allowed to breed / vote / insert other word of your choice.

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

9 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

3: A training bus on a backroad nowhere remotely near a bus route, chugging along at 35mph billowing out black smoke and squealing like a pig in distress.

I imagine they did this on purpose, if you have never driven a bus before, I dont think being thrown off the deep end into a busy city center would be a good idea LOL

and since its a learner bus they are always something shite :) (since they are no longer fit for PSV duty normally)

8 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

I imagine they did this on purpose, if you have never driven a bus before, I dont think being thrown off the deep end into a busy city center would be a good idea LOL

and since its a learner bus they are always something shite :) (since they are no longer fit for PSV duty normally)

Fair enough, but it was genuinely a road I've never seen a bus even attempt before. A proper twisty little back road. Equivalent to throwing them into a different deep end.

Halfords, I'm not one to complain but honestly, what is the fucking point of the place? They didn't have a Ford oil filter in the shelf, it took 5 minutes to find a member of staff and a further 5 minutes for them to go out back, come back and tell me they don't have any, but "come back later today, just in case some come in".  

1 minute ago, Lankytim said:

Halfords, I'm not one to complain but honestly, what is the fucking point of the place? They didn't have a Ford oil filter in the shelf, it took 5 minutes to find a member of staff and a further 5 minutes for them to go out back, come back and tell me they don't have any, but "come back later today, just in case some come in".  

Halfords have very little in the way of car service parts and source their stock from ECP, why not just go to ECP in the first place?

Not really a grump, more an observation but last night scrolling through stuff on autotrader because I was bored, very bored and no money or intention to buy another car however as you do, how much Range Rover does £15k get me or what if I won a lump sum...you know the game.    Whilst scrolling through I was amazed at how many photos were taken last winter with bare tree's and wintry scenes. How long do these dealers keep this stuff sitting about, and why not refresh the pics shirley?  Perhaps most people don't notice this kinda thing.

42 minutes ago, Jazoli said:

Halfords have very little in the way of car service parts and source their stock from ECP, why not just go to ECP in the first place?

We were visiting a shop next door and I've got a traders card.

55 minutes ago, Jazoli said:

because you will stand at the counter being ignored for fifteen minutes while every counter staff will pretend to be on the phone.If you pick something up off a display and start walking out with it they soon get to the counter then,though (or is that just the Peterborough branch?)

Princess has blown its head gasket again.  Oil and bubbles in the coolant, spits of water out the exhaust, and you can watch the coolant level drop while its idling.  I haven't done a compression test because, honestly, I don't think it's needed to confirm what's going on.  All I did was replace a heater hose that had gone spongey, and this is how it rewards me.

On 7/3/2019 at 7:43 AM, Tetleysmooth said:

I didn't know whether to post this here, or in the 'What the **** is wrong with you' thread.

Tetley is a worried chap this morning. I had my HGV medical a couple of weeks ago, and seemingly everything was fine, passed with no advisories. Then, either Friday or Saturday I received a letter from the Nazi party - sorry - DVLA, telling me I had to attend a 'field of vision' test. They provided a list of approved opticians, but it was the wording of the letter that got me - 'if you do not make an appointment, or turn up to an appointment, we will revoke your licence', maybe not exactly the wording, but you get the gist.

So, yesterday, Tetley turned up for said appointment. One of the first questions I asked was would they tell me if I had met the standard. They do not discuss the outcome of the test with you, it's between them and the DVLA. I  had to sit the test 3 times. You look at an orange dot in the middle of a white screen, and further dots appear in random places all over the white screen. You have to press a button every time you see a white dot appear. It's an awful test. Your eyes cross, focus, re-focus, and you're so busy thinking of that, you probably miss some dots. I had to do a regular sight test as well, in which I read the bottom line.

I got home to find yet another Nazi party letter waiting for me. Our DVLA doctor is assessing your fitness to drive, and will be writing to Dr ******** etc.etc.

I've got an awful feeling they're going to take my HGV entitlement away. I can see fine. My eyes are better than Mrs Tet's, yet the Nazis have got it into their heads that I need a white stick to get around.

Because they won't tell me anything, I now have weeks of stress coming up. Oh joy.

Still not heard an effing thing. I requested a meeting with my GP before he wrote back to the DVLA to discuss this, but I've heard nothing from him either.

Nobody will tell me anything. God, I hate the arrogant, ignorant bastards that are the DVLA.

Car stereo swallowed up and snapped one of my chrome tapes. Annoying, especially as there were studio recordings on it which GDPR has now withheld from the Internet over here. I think it might now be time to invest in a VPN.

2 hours ago, Fumbler said:

Car stereo swallowed up and snapped one of my chrome tapes. Annoying, especially as there were studio recordings on it which GDPR has now withheld from the Internet over here. I think it might now be time to invest in a VPN.

Use Tor - it's free.  You sometimes have to restart a few times to get an exit node that's not in the EU, but you get there eventually.