The grumpy thread

outlaw118

59 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

I know how that goes. I'd have wound up being charged with animal cruelty and thrown in the nick for a decade.

The owner's a "professional dog trainer" don't ya know...

Scum that let their dogs off the lead but can't control them are a massive pain in the arse. Our dog is a bit of a twat with other dogs so we try to avoid other dogs and keep him on the lead. Then some dog bounds up of the lead with the owner not giving a shit.

I'd report them

The RSPCA say

• Report the attack. If your dog has been attacked and injured, you can report it to the police by calling 101, or report it to your local council's dog warden.
  • Collect details. Get the owner's contact details and a photo of the other dog (if you can) and note or photograph any injuries your dog got during the attack. If you can, check if the other owner has third party or pet insurance for their dog as this may cover you for any veterinary care required. You may also want the contact details of any witnesses.
  • Take your dog to the vet. Even if your dog's injuries don't look serious, take them to the vet straight away to get checked over. Many bite injuries are a lot worse than they look due to damage to the muscles and tissue underneath the skin and the bacteria carried in dogs' mouths.

1 hour ago, Zelandeth said:

I know how that goes. I'd have wound up being charged with animal cruelty and thrown in the nick for a decade.

The owner's a "professional dog trainer" don't ya know...

You can protect your dog you know.

7 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

You know when you fork out for a new tin of an expensive product, and then a few days later whilst having a clear up you find a nearly full and still perfectly usable tin of exactly the same product?

Yeah, that.

Yep. Done that with copper grease a few times. 

Sods law says that even if you had a full scale 'rip the place apart' look for it before buying the new tin, you still wouldn't find it though. 

9 minutes ago, C1am said:

He looks the same as he did 20 years ago. 

ah, so gettin old and fat isn't a "new" thing  then?

Glastonbury has been the shits this year. at least i've not been stupid enough to fork out friggin' hundreds of quids to watch talentless, lone deaf noise polluting crap.

nearly all turns that have been on the telly i wouldn't cross the road to see,  never mind "pay" for the privilege. and the telly does have an off button.

does this mean i am officially "old"?

6 minutes ago, MarvinsMom said:

ah, so gettin old and fat isn't a "new" thing  then?

Glastonbury has been the shits this year. at least i've not been stupid enough to fork out friggin' hundreds of quids to watch talentless, lone deaf noise polluting crap.

nearly all turns that have been on the telly i wouldn't cross the road to see,  never mind "pay" for the privilege. and the telly does have an off button.

does this mean i am officially "old"?

No,you just have good taste in music.

On 6/18/2019 at 9:00 PM, richardmorris said:

One of those days today. Riding in to work this morning, idiot woman in a Range Rover nearly takes out the cyclist in front by pulling out in front of him to turn right across us. He fell off to avoid her. He has my details and I’ll send him the camera footage. 

Fume cupboard in the lab is playing silly buggers and will run all day with no problem or turn off after five minutes. Will restart ok, and either run for the rest of the day or stop again ten minutes later. Probably a £1000 call out.

our newer icp instrument wont form a plasma. Pre checks ok,  purge ok, ignition warm up ok and no RF issue, but it won’t ignite. Probably a £3000 call out at least, maybe £15000 if it needs a new power module.

then, in the pouring rain, riding home my bloody seat fell off. Snapped the bolt holding it to the post.  Back down to work and I fixed it to get home.

today was not the day to buy a lottery ticket.

What is it you do for a living? 

I received a call last week from a recruitment agency who had reviewed my application for a job that I was really keen on. The lady there said that she was impressed with it and after speaking with the hiring manager they both felt that I was a good fit for the role.

Today I got a straight decline from them.

So that's 17 jobs I have applied for, spending approximately 2 hours on each to make sure I have positioned everything well and with the exception of 2 unsuccessful interviews I have been flatly declined.

Unsure where to go from here.

12 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

I received a call last week from a recruitment agency who had reviewed my application for a job that I was really keen on. The lady there said that she was impressed with it and after speaking with the hiring manager they both felt that I was a good fit for the role.

So that's 17 jobs I have applied for, spending approximately 2 hours on each to make sure I have positioned everything well and with the exception of 2 unsuccessful interviews I have been flatly declined.

What sort of trade / skill set are you aiming for? 

32 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

Just keep trying! I am a contractor looking for short term offshore work, and trying hard this year despite kknowing the odds are against me as I have been with one company for 20 years so I am not nown in the "pool market". My tickets run out in Feb and if no work comes this year, I will not renew, hence the concerted effort. So far I have applied for 37 roles. I have not had a single reply. I will keep trying until the end of the year....

3 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

I'm a firm believer in playing the odds.

17 applications at 2 hours a piece is a full time job, but you can now reuse those 17 applications to increase the quantity to 34 in a week. 

You can improve the 1 in 8.5 interview odds by phoning the RC and saying something like "I thought I'd better phone because I think I might look over qualified and i wanted to make sure of.....etc" 

Or "I see the role for x, in y industry. I just wanted to make sure that i didnt waste your time by applying if you wouldn't consider someone from z industry..."

Then when you email it, phone them again to say "I just wanted to check it's arrived because ive been having issues with my email recently" 

More likely to go to top of pile. 

Can't help much with the interview. Suit and folder is my usual mode. 

But if you can get from 1 in 8.5 to 1 in 4 that gets you 8 interviews per week rather than 2.  

I've been going into battle at an average of 3 people being interviewed per job, and my hit rate over 10 years of contracting is 14 interviews and 7 offers. 

Telephone interviews and second interviews I have a 80% fail rate.  

I do better if there are 3 jobs and 2 people being interviewed. Thats happened twice.