The grumpy thread

outlaw118

10 hours ago, Lord Sterling said:

Fucks me off this kind of petty shit. It really does go to show just how petty people get. Spend a few minutes online and a car's tax and MOT status will be revealed. I'd love to wrap that in a brick and return to sender through thier window :|

Have the landlords explained why she cannot use the driveway? PM me the area and I'll have a look about or see if any know of anyone around who might be able to help.

Alternatively, and it might be a necessary evil, would be to find a local driveway to rent or stick up a notice in a local shop window / gumtree or farcebook.

MikeR used to have a laminated sign to go in his front screen which said This IS NOT AN ABANDONED VEHICLE 

You could add at the bottom

HIDDEN CCTV CAMERA IN OPERATION. 

I checked with the local police and they said  I was allowed to park round the corner outside a private school - so I did.  Head master stopped me one day and said the children thought it was a great as the school was tapping parents for money to get a school minibus to go on trips and they thought it has arrived and was fantastic and I should leave it there.

Parents were not too overjoyed.

coach.jpg

On 6/22/2019 at 6:00 PM, Nyphur said:

They can, and probably will, just run a key over every panel. That's what people are like these days.

Yup. I'd just park elsewhere. A 10min walk is a lesser evil than vandalised cars... A sad state of affairs but that's the way of things.

I was out on the roads on Friday around 16:30, an unusual time for me because shift work. The amount of yelling and horn blowing and angry wheelspin starts was quite the eye opener... A lot of people VERY angry over not a lot...

Re the parking thing, some folks need to get a life.

I have a small layby outside my house and people park all sorts in there, particularly vans. 

As I have a drive, I just planted conifers which are now 7ft high and built a solid fence. Now I can't see any cars that park there.

However I'm firmly of the belief that until your name is painted on the road, then anybody can park there.

11 hours ago, paulplom said:

Just buy a big fuck off jubilee clip. Far easier and will last the life of the car.

I only wish that tactic could be used for LHM leaks. I suspect the CX has developed one as there is a damp patch under the front nearside of the car, and a top-up took half a litre. It better not be a gearbox fluid leak, unlike last time. Time to get the absorbent paper out and start wiping all the piping clean in that area to find out where it might be coming from.

6 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

Re the parking thing, some folks need to get a life.

I have a small layby outside my house and people park all sorts in there, particularly vans. 

My sister used to have a similar thing going on,  when the house was built we had to set the front wall back in case the road was ever widened (it's been 50 years now so don't think it will ever happen) When next door was built they had to do the same, but the current owners have put little posts and chains across their bit to stop anyone parking there. Not usually a problem as they have two driveways so plenty of parking for visitors. There was one visitor to next door who always parked in front of my sister's, it took a while for her to twig that this gentleman called only ever visited when the lady of the house was at home, but her husband wasn't. My sister was only mildly annoyed  I think her words were along the lines "Have you seen him, I don't want people thinking he's visiting me"

When my parents lived in Dovehouse lane, Solihull (one end of the road was Land Rovers Lode lane entrance, and the other end the Warwick Road, it used to get very busy at shift change times. But there was never any real parking issues. 

The people next door were big in the neighbourhood watch. 

The people across the road were market traders, and had 3 massive vans to transport goods. They had a drive big enough for 2 cars and one of the vans, so the other 2 vans were parked half on the pavement. Which was fairly wide. 

My parents used to have prayer meetings (bloody Christians can't keep religion to Sunday, and let it spill into Wednesday evening) and quite a few cars would park up for 2 hours midweek. 

The neighbourhood watch went around trying to get signatures on a petition for double yellow lines. 

My parents fell out with the woman next door after my Dad accusing them of being snobs who didn't like the idea that people with vans lived in bigger houses than theirs. 

The council put double yellows, but my parents wrote to them asking them.to clarify if they could park on the very wide pavement outside the house.  They got a letter back saying that as long as there was a 4 foot wide gap, they could park on the pavement.  They had room for 4 cars on the drive. 

When they had prayer meetings, dad would put his car in the garage. And then visitors would park on the drive and pavement. I dont this they spoke to the neighbour much after that. Other than to pray for their souls. 

Sadly, there is this mentality that you 'should be allowed' to park right outside your house. Even I once had a mentality like that.

I fell out with some neighbours who used to park outside Ma's house after I suggested maybe parking their cars a bit closer to each other as we were squeezed out of the spaces outside, Ma was pretty hot under yhe collar about this but I simply moved my Mercedes onto my mates driveway a few houses up as he never used it (there was never a hard-surface access across the grass) The attitude around that area was very petty. The twats next door eventually fucked off (they'd bought the house to do up and rent out).

1 hour ago, Kiltox said:

I live on a private, non adopted road.  I pay for its maintenance shared with three other houses. 

I don’t own the road, but I have written permission from the landowner to park on it

If you could kindly fuck off from parking there it would be greatly appreciated, everyone else. 

Kthx. 

Not up to date with the legalities but perhaps you could put up a sign indicating that it was a private road.

To save buying a clamp, just remove their wheel bolts.

Have to say here that there are lots of cars in my street but there are never any squabbles about parking spaces, even though there are three people who like to take up more than their fair share of the spaces.

The bloke next door to me owns the street, despite the fact that he doesn't live in it any more, he just drives down to park outside his fat partner's house.

If anyone parks close to his spot, he'll park with bumpers almost touching, and if anyone parks opposite he'll park leaving just enough room to get through. He spent a couple of years parking within about a millimetre of my dropped kerb, so I taught myself the ability to be able to fly down the close at a singularly inappropriate speed for reverse and swing into my drive with alarming alacrity. He has recently bought himself an E type and doesn't seem to piss about in quite the same way any more.

I'm actually very lucky living at the end of a cul de sac, and also at the end of a row of houses. So there's two spaces outside my house as my front garden is bigger than everyone else's.

Only three of the five neighbours on the end bit of the cul de sac have cars (1 each), plus there's room for visitors, so 5 spaces free, two of which are taken up by my other cars. There's always room to park. In fact my neighbours often ask when I'm buying another car to fill another space or two.

No silliness here at all, all very civilised.

All this is reminding me of my Grandfather. Whenever we visited he would move his car out of the driveway and park it in front of the house, he then made us park in the driveway for duration of our stay. He would sometimes move his car into the street days in advance to ensure he got the space in front of the house.

I used to live in a cul de sac and would get home from work at about 7am. One morning someone had parked a Civic in the space I usually used on the bend but no big deal, there was a space a few yards past my house. Just about to go to bed about 9 or so, I glanced out of the front window to see the owner of the Civic engaged in heated debate with the dustcart driver who'd essentially just ripped both o/s doorskins off... 

35 minutes ago, Amishtat said:

I used to live in a cul de sac and would get home from work at about 7am. One morning someone had parked a Civic in the space I usually used on the bend but no big deal, there was a space a few yards past my house. Just about to go to bed about 9 or so, I glanced out of the front window to see the owner of the Civic engaged in heated debate with the dustcart driver who'd essentially just ripped both o/s doorskins off... 

Don't blame me!

Three Grumps today

1) My new tachograph driver's card has packed up. It's 6 weeks old.

2) Every single member of the world's blowfly population appears to have descended upon my house today. Given the place a thorough tidy, hoover, clean etc. Cooked no problem. Mrs D feeds the cats, they all come back. Ergo cat food works better than one of those blue-purple bulbs behind an electrified mesh if you need to attract flies.

3) The humidity is unbearable, it's not even that hot today. I'm glad I don't live in Florida.

4) Despite covering my new veg raised bed with holly clippings, poking cocktail sticks into the soil, uneven chicken wire and a liberal sprinkle of a mix of garlic, pepper, chilli powder and cayenne, a cat (either one of the neighbours or one of the wife's) has still managed to park its breakfast right in the middle.

It's hot and sticky and I hate it. I don't even want to underseal my Micra right now because of it, let alone do anything else. I will do the seams, but the rest is reserved for when I get some real creepy Dynax S-50. For now, I hate the weather and I blame France.

Son and his friends put together a list of the girls int he school, ranked A to F.  Pretty much as every child has done since time began.  

Problem is one of the group shared it and the Parents of the girls at the lower end of the scale have lodged a formal complaint so they are all now in trouble.  Why is this an issue?  One of the girls at the lower end of the scale is from an ethnic minority and an accusation of racism has been made.  To the extent that 30 kids surrounded my son and his friends earlier and it could have got well nasty.  

Fucking kids.  For a smart lad he has appalling judgement sometimes.  If you had a door marked DANGER KEEP OUT SHARKS AND LASERS AND SHIT” and scribbled “oh and free sweets” in crayon underneath, he would go piling in.  

Mrs P is off the school tomorrow - be interesting to hear their version of events

Jesus we do that in the office... Allan from IT came up the other day (we get on well with Allan) and afterwards remarked how bloody amazing colleague x is. 

We have her down as number 3.. Looks stunning some days, looks alright on others. But has a difficult personality. So you would, but you'd give her a burner phone number.