The grumpy thread

outlaw118

1 hour ago, hennabm said:

TLDR NHS is good when compared with other countries. Make sure you have medical insurance when visiting Johnnie foreigner.

By and large, the people on the front line in the NHS are great people who do great things. There is thankfully enough money going in that the equipment, tools and resources are generally top notch too - even if in short supply in some places. 

It's when you go up the tree and those nearer or at the top is where the rot sets in. It's the usual story like most places I guess. 

44 minutes ago, hennabm said:

one good thing in Greece - the hospital cafe sells beer. Mr Amstel is my friend tonight.

For contrast, in some hospitals in the UK, the alcohol hand cleaner has had to be removed from the public areas. The alcoholics/drunks/etc keep drinking it! 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/health-20404541/patients-drinking-alcohol-hand-gel

Old article, but a doctor mate said it was common policy in a lot of the larger cities A&Es he has worked in. 

Quarter past three in the morning... finally just about got my mind settled enough that sleep is vaguely on the cards.

BEEEEEP-BEEEEEEP-BEEEEEP...... BEEEEEP-BEEEEEEP-BEEEEEP... BEEEEEP-BEEEEEEP-BEEEEEP...

Smoke alarm in full on alarm mode.  Cue frantic scramble around to try to work out A: which one it is and B: what's on fire. 

Eventually found it, and no signs of smoke or anything.  This is the fourth alarm we've had go faulty like this in the last year.  Not the low battery pip noise...full scale panic mode just randomly triggering.

Of course I'm now jumping at shadows and have made five trips in the last ten minutes back in there to make sure there's no smoke present.

Great big shot of adrenaline... that's just what I needed at this time of night. 

Currently showing a heart rate of 230bpm according to my fitbit... it's going to be a while before sleep is on the cards again isn't it...

I know how that feels Zelandeth. At a house in Inverness I had the alarm go off and full scale Adrenalin.

Rushed down stairs smelling for smoke all the time - nothing. The one at the bottom of the stairs was bleating. Couldn’t see or smell the reason why.

Couldn’t then get back to sleep and remained awake until the alarm went  off some time later.

It was a horrible feeling when first woken and your mind is in overdrive of what to do and what not to do.

Hopefully sleep will return.

This has really pissed me off.

My sister rents a room in a house in Surrey. The landlords won't let her use the drive and the road immediately outside is restricted so lately she's been parking around the corner in the next road along as its the closest unrestricted parking. She works in London and commutes on the train so she doesn't use her car much. It goes without saying its taxed Motd and fully legal.

Obviously some bellend there is getting territorial about the space outside their house because she came home from work to find this note on the windscreen:received_2697946126899822.thumb.jpeg.926080a5419697a7a4296a58b384dde4.jpeg

Now of course she's really upset and has had got very anxious over it. She's only 19 and hasn't been driving long either. She's moved the car somewhere else and wasn't able to parallel park it because she was so worried.

It has really fucked me off that some absolute twat thinks this is an acceptable way to behave. Apparently a white van has jumped into the space straightaway so that could be the culprit, but whoever it is, I hope they're proud of themselves at making her feel like that.

FFS!

48E6E30C-546B-4066-A157-E0CD6EF01BC3.thumb.jpeg.d7d37240f495a21498a78b4c83dde7e0.jpeg

Volvo took a hit today. Mirror glass and part of the electrical adjuster mechanism smashed off.

I was out the back of Chichester and some twat in a Golf decided to overtake a cyclist as I was coming the opposite way. Door mirrors clashed together, mine did that but his (body colour with full electrics and indicator) was smashed really bad. Fortunately he stopped but still tried blaming me! I was fully in my lane, he was still on my side as he was finishing his overtake of the bike. Luckily for me the cyclist stopped too and backed me up. 

We’ve decided to be reasonable and not involve insurers and just fix our own cars but it’s something I could have done without tbh. 

I had the window down when it happened too and got a face full of glass fragments, so it could have been worse! I suppose at least nothing worse happened and mines going to be much cheaper to fix than his. I’m still going to get a statement off the cyclist though, just in case...

6 hours ago, Angrydicky said:

My sister rents a room in a house in Surrey. The landlords won't let her use the drive and the road immediately outside is restricted so lately she's been parking around the corner in the next road along as its the closest unrestricted parking. She works in London and commutes on the train so she doesn't use her car much. It goes without saying its taxed Motd and fully legal.

Obviously some bellend there is getting territorial about the space outside their house because she came home from work to find this note on the windscreen:received_2697946126899822.thumb.jpeg.926080a5419697a7a4296a58b384dde4.jpeg

Now of course she's really upset and has had got very anxious over it. She's only 19 and hasn't been driving long either. She's moved the car somewhere else and wasn't able to parallel park it because she was so worried.

It has really fucked me off that some absolute twat thinks this is an acceptable way to behave. Apparently a white van has jumped into the space straightaway so that could be the culprit, but whoever it is, I hope they're proud of themselves at making her feel like that.

It doesn't help, but I'm sure we could all club together and buy some monstrosity of a car and leave it there, just to prove a point. 

Anyone fancy 'Ratlook'ing a Ssyang Yong Rhodius or something? ??

6 hours ago, Angrydicky said:

I'd just leave a printout of the DVLA MOT & Tax checker website in the windscreen. They can't do sod all about it then.

People are complete & utter tossers. Bit like the knob in my bit of cut de sac with a Corsa B. Really protective of the 3 spaces in the hammerhead, not helped with 2 of the cars belonging to people with driveways and don't bloody use them.

Meanwhile, Amazon are doing their best to save the planet yet again.

IMG_7439.thumb.JPG.24b75f42e8f012ea845393ff3468c46b.JPG

IMG_7440.thumb.JPG.646c0f353b1fa4a56929ac87802cc572.JPG

10 hours ago, hennabm said:

I know how that feels Zelandeth. At a house in Inverness I had the alarm go off and full scale Adrenalin.

Rushed down stairs smelling for smoke all the time - nothing. The one at the bottom of the stairs was bleating. Couldn’t see or smell the reason why.

Couldn’t then get back to sleep and remained awake until the alarm went  off some time later.

It was a horrible feeling when first woken and your mind is in overdrive of what to do and what not to do.

Hopefully sleep will return.

Sleep eventually arrived as of about 7 am.  Approximately 45 minutes before the alarm clock went off.  Blarg.

The most annoying alarm related issues I've come across though is our intruder alarm.  If something should happen which knocks out the phone line it throws a huge hissy fit.  The internal siren goes off and will continue to do so until someone (read: me) goes all the way downstairs and punches the code in and dismisses the "Comms failure!" message.

Problem is that this isn't persistent...so if the line comes back up for ten seconds then goes down again it will trigger again as soon as the line drops out again.  Funnily enough, BT do most of their line maintenance overnight...

Even more annoying is that it does this totally irrespective of whether the damn system is even armed...I think the record for number of times it's started beeping at us in one night was around the 15 mark.  I was seriously losing my rag with it by then!

If it didn't knock our home insurance cost in half I'd just do away with it entirely, the dog is a far greater detterant to any would be intruders than any electronic burglar alarm.

9 hours ago, Angrydicky said:

Obviously some bellend there is getting territorial about the space outside their house....

This is not unknown on the street where my parents live!! They don't bother with angrily-scrawled sheets of paper, but have got the local parking enforcement officers to come and stick penalty tickets on any car that doesn't clear their dropped kerb. Local council only too happy to oblige because extra revenue. Think they got pissed off because almost everyone who has skilfully* parked seems to have either a people-carrier or SUV.....or has an estate agent-branded company car.

Neighbours are also similarly territorial - a few put wheelie-bins on "their" spaces for when they are away. At least one of them regularly brings home his company minibus or van (long wheelbase, natch) which makes others very unhappy!

In the oul days (the 1970s/80s), the oul man - being bloody-minded by nature - would somehow manage to get the police or the council to come and tow cars away, which led to a fair few owners coming back to find their cars had been "stolen". Never knew at the time what penalties they had to pay to recover their cars, but it can't have been cheap.

Need to repair my garden strimmer -  a solder joint connecting 2 bits of wire inside the handle has failed. Got everything I need to repair and my little 15w Antex iron has crapped out on me. Won't even heat up enough to tin its own tip.

Can I find my gas iron anywhere? no. Bumhats.

14 hours ago, Angrydicky said:

These people piss me off too as I had the same issue here in Rayleigh a couple of months ago.  Petty notes asking me to move the Rover after I parked in a different space for a week, I just left it there even longer with a notice stating tax MOT and insured but after the second snotty note I knocked on the door of the house my car was parked outside, they bottled it and called the police which meant I had to attend Rayleigh plod shop, the copper could soon see how daft the whole debacle was, plod said leave the car there as long as you like but 'DO NOT KNOCK ON THEIR DOOR' as they felt threatened.

The whole road has driveways and this house had 1 car on the drive, so they didn't even park outside on the road.  

Stick a cheap dashcam in it and a note reminding residents it has tax MOT and is insured.

For some weird reason some people seem to assume they have some sort of ownership over the road outside their house. Local covenants regarding works vehicles aside, as long as a car is legal it can park where it likes within local parking restrictions. The problem is that if you get a dick then the car is outside their house not yours so whilst it’s legal it doesn’t mean something won’t happen to it.

Just to clarify, every house in the road she's been parking in has a driveway, but the spaces are in demand as its a short walk from the station and most roads are restricted to weekend parking only around there. Its a nice residential area and we didn't expect anything like that to happen.

Unlike when I was 'hiding' the Sierra base for the duration of my parents house viewings and got three separate wankers on the doorstep moaning about it being outside (or in one case, opposite) their house for just a few hours! But it was to be expected as that road was full of twats.

1 hour ago, EssDeeWon said:

These people piss me off too as I had the same issue here in Rayleigh a couple of months ago.  Petty notes asking me to move the Rover after I parked in a different space for a week, I just left it there even longer with a notice stating tax MOT and insured but after the second snotty note I knocked on the door of the house my car was parked outside, they bottled it and called the police which meant I had to attend Rayleigh plod shop, the copper could soon see how daft the whole debacle was, plod said leave the car there as long as you like but 'DO NOT KNOCK ON THEIR DOOR' as they felt threatened.

The whole road has driveways and this house had 1 car on the drive, so they didn't even park outside on the road.  

Stick a cheap dashcam in it and a note reminding residents it has tax MOT and is insured.

Seriously man, you got taken to the police station because you knocked on someone's door? 

5 minutes ago, angle said:

Seriously man, you got taken to the police station because you knocked on someone's door? 

Not taken exactly but they called the police and they came knocking a couple of times when I was at work, then easter sunday morning another knock but again I just missed them, this time they left a number that actually worked and asked if they could come round to discuss the 'disturbance' but didn't want plod in my drum so rather went up to see them.  It took all of 5 minutes, utter pathetic waste of police time, although I didn't mention that one more note and i'll put the car through their front wall.   The copper said they probably called the police for affect and to hopefully get the car moved.

god botherers   ...  the Romans had the right idea

I took the x2 into Liverpool yesterday , unknown to me the bus drivers were striking after 5pm ...  and as a result  I got charged £1.50 to go 14 miles into Liverpool .

and the bus , instead of stopping at the normal place for unloading  , waited in the traffic q to get to its stand ....a whole 100 yards down the road ...

and everyone got off in a good mood  , except for the chap in front of me who was pulling a wheeled case with "Jesus saves " all over it .

who stops at the driver and starts to give him an ear bashing over not stopping in the normal place .... 

talk about turn the other cheek , forgive and all that stuff

16 hours ago, Angrydicky said:

Just to clarify, every house in the road she's been parking in has a driveway, but the spaces are in demand as its a short walk from the station and most roads are restricted to weekend parking only around there. Its a nice residential area and we didn't expect anything like that to happen.

From my experience Dicky the nice area's are sometimes the worst area's for people being annoying twats and the entitlement of owning the road outside their house.  This is a nice area off Downhall in Rayleigh but I've never come across so many nosey uptight curtain twitchy twats in my life.

The faded and slightly scruffy W reg Rover doesn't quite fit in with the 2 year old Fiesta/Focus brigade.  There is one old boy who is 24 carrot and likes the Rover but even admitted to me his elderly house ridden wife moans about it being parked where it is.  But he is the exception around here, nice pleasant old boy who shakes my hand when he see's me outside.

I parked my employers car* about 50 yards from my house (no space outside my own house) when this bloke comes flying out of his front door shout in "park it down your own end!"

Twat. If I come home and someone is parked outside my house, so what? It's usually a near neighbour or their visitor. As far as I'm concerned the cars are taxed and Mot'd, and my neighbours all pay council tax, so can park where they like. As can I.

On the subject of parking, I get funny looks when I'm using more than one of the spaces in our flats car park, yet it is perfectly acceptable to park like this apparently. I'm in a space, dead on between the lines, they are wonky across two spaces. IMG_20190623_174138.thumb.jpg.76527a4d1890028f1a82dccd52024bb9.jpg

I once parked in a residential street, no restrictions, on a Sunday because a mate on another forum was giving me a lift to a VW show to share the fuel costs.

Came back and someone had scratched "cunt" across the bonnet in two foot high letters. I am, but there's no need to advertise it. I presume they watched me park and walk off, and that was "their" bit of road.