The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Imagination really running riot on this one

”Rear brake bulb purchased through eBay from Verne Troyer”

”Was sat in by TV star Ray Quinn when he was looking round the dealership for an Arosa but thought he would see what a Leon was like while he was there”

”Looked at by Natalie Cassidy from Eastenders when she was walking back from Sainsbury’s one Sunday afternoon and the car was sitting at temporary road works at the time”

Got my disco back today with shiny new MOT.

Grumpy thread 'cos I've got most* of my disco back as some passing scrote has helped themselves to the stainless spare wheel cover while parked in my menders yard. He's going to look at his cctv but no doubt it will be a blurry hoodie snapping the lock off and fucking off with it.

Welding has also been done to MOT standard. Ie bash in the worst of it, pigeon shite a plate over the top, ignore the obvious scab 3 inches away that will be a hole next year.

I think after 10 years I'm losing the love for it. 

Used car lot where Micra was residing was closed today- bugger. Oh well, they're open bright and early tomorrow. I doubt they'll sell it before I arrive because they have many newer and shinier cars to boot.

Just changed the battery on the Saab (date on the dead(ish) one is 2.11.2010, so not done badly).

Boot won't open now. No key hole on models of this year, and the only way to open it is to crawl into the boot, take a panel off, and flick the lock.

The boot is loaded with boxes of bike spares, some stuff for the tip, and a new kitchen sink. I have to empty the boot via the gap the folded back seats leave, but doubt a lot of it is small enough to get out of the rear doors. Bollocks bollocks bollocks.

On 6/15/2019 at 9:31 PM, Parky said:

Well she has been quite decent so far.  I say so far.  Has offered to pay for the damage away from the insurance but someone driving a fucked Yaris isn’t likely to have £1400 cash sitting about.  I have informed her and sent her the quote, she is going to let me know tomorrow. 

She wont. I guarantee she won’t contact me tomorrow or Monday.  Tuesday morning it’s off to the insurance company I guarantee it....

Sadly she knows that her kids are at my sons school so she won’t be able to avoid me, and my son is mates with hers so she won’t be able to slink off into the night. I do feel for her in a way as it is a narrow street but ultimately I pay a lot of money for insurance and it’s not fair my property gets damaged and devalued because of other people’s misjudgements.  So no, I won’t be walking away with a shrug.

Neighbours cctv caught it all so when the husband pops round to accuse me of hitting his wife’s car or assaulting her or any of the usual nonsense that follows I have lots and lots of lovely evidence and witnesses.

”Do you know what Nemesis is boy?”

Well today saw her finally reply.

”Yes I want to pay but it’s a lot of money from my family budget and it will be a struggle for me to pay”

Yes, I know it’s a lot of money but that’s why you have insurance you silly bitch.  So you paying or not? Because if not it’s insurance.  I did ask why she was so keen to avoid the insurance company so I reckon it’s her husband insured to drive the car and perhaps she hasn’t got a licence. 

Sadly that’s not my problem.  Tomorrow I am telling her I feel bad taking her money off her so I have decided not to ask her for it, instead I will sort it with the insurance.

On 6/15/2019 at 10:46 AM, Zelandeth said:

Agree with you entirely, but given they're already "doing me a favour" by supplying me parts at all, I suspect by kicking up a fuss I'll just wind up burning what has so far been quite a useful bridge.

In case you wondered about my previous comment - their head office has decreed that their dealer network aren't allowed to provide parts for any of their commercial vehicles, instead being referred to an external company - who don't deal with non-trade customers so are as much use as a chocolate teapot to me.

A 6pk1015 is only a tenner, maybe a bit more if you want OE.

One of those days today. Riding in to work this morning, idiot woman in a Range Rover nearly takes out the cyclist in front by pulling out in front of him to turn right across us. He fell off to avoid her. He has my details and I’ll send him the camera footage. 

Fume cupboard in the lab is playing silly buggers and will run all day with no problem or turn off after five minutes. Will restart ok, and either run for the rest of the day or stop again ten minutes later. Probably a £1000 call out.

our newer icp instrument wont form a plasma. Pre checks ok,  purge ok, ignition warm up ok and no RF issue, but it won’t ignite. Probably a £3000 call out at least, maybe £15000 if it needs a new power module.

then, in the pouring rain, riding home my bloody seat fell off. Snapped the bolt holding it to the post.  Back down to work and I fixed it to get home.

today was not the day to buy a lottery ticket.

12 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

One of those days today. Riding in to work this morning, idiot woman in a Range Rover nearly takes out the cyclist in front by pulling out in front of him to turn right across us. He fell off to avoid her. He has my details and I’ll send him the camera footage. 

Fume cupboard in the lab is playing silly buggers and will run all day with no problem or turn off after five minutes. Will restart ok, and either run for the rest of the day or stop again ten minutes later. Probably a £1000 call out.

our newer icp instrument wont form a plasma. Pre checks ok,  purge ok, ignition warm up ok and no RF issue, but it won’t ignite. Probably a £3000 call out at least, maybe £15000 if it needs a new power module.

then, in the pouring rain, riding home my bloody seat fell off. Snapped the bolt holding it to the post.  Back down to work and I fixed it to get home.

today was not the day to buy a lottery ticket.

Are you allowed to touch the fume cupboard? If it’s an older sash type with a high level bypass then it’s most likely a thermal cutout on the motor (more likely to happen with sash down),some newer type external vent have air flow meters built in which may just need a blast out with compressed air (or brake cleaner if you then allow it to evaporate), if it’s a carbon filter type then most likely a clogged pre filter causing the thermal cutout on the motor to trip. I got fed up watching barely trained gorillas service ours so pestered to get in a training course. It only lasted two days! Wow! So difficult......... It is saving a bloody fortune.

Went back to village garage today where I got my spare wheel cover stolen from. Sign is pointed to "vehicles left at owners risk", but hey I can look at their CCTV if I'd like. So I do. 3 am Saturday night a disco identical to mine parks in the street opposite garage, hoodie gets out with large screwdriver casually strolls across street, levers it off and then fucks off with his prize.

I know the direction he went afterwards and he's obviously local as he knew what he wanted. Not sure I fancy driving round the sink estate to find it though.

10 hours ago, sloth said:

pissing me off today is the amount of cross posting into all threads about invacars.  its like a fucking plague.  and technically its a trike.  ugh

and cancer. that can fuck itself too.

and piss poor management. fuck 

Yes. I hate anything from Aberystwyth too. Grumpy fuckers them that live in that bit of Wales. 

And 3 wheelers. 

And cancer 

And management.

9 hours ago, mark1986 said:

Nasty noises from the Clio's clutch today. Release bearing sounds like it's on it's last legs.  Oh, and it's been shitting it down with rain nearly all afternoon, again.

Mines been doing that for months, going to see how long I can get out of it before a new clutch is required!

I was told on 24th May that I would be made redundant at some undisclosed point in the future. 

So far I have applied for 13 jobs. The majority have required a covering letter which I have spent about 2 hours each on.

I have had 2 interviews, one of which resulted in a knockback and the other I declined as the comoany directors had an 'interesting ' history. I have had 3 further straight declines and radio silence from the rest.

Yet others in my office have almost immediate success.

It's a bitter pill and I don't know how much longer I can sustain the positive attitude before giving up.

I’m guessing you’re pretty good at what you do though, else you wouldn’t have managed to last 20 years at it without getting caught out. 

Have you been at the same place for a long time?  Been a while since you had to endure the utter fuckery that is recruitment?

I've been there nearly 4 years so not a great length of tenure but I was head hunted for my current job so yeah it's been some years since I've had to throw myself to the wolves.

It's also aggravating an ongoing issue I have with wee motors in my head driving round and crashing into each other and I'm nearly at the stage of writing the whole lot off as a bad job.

2 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

I was told on 24th May that I would be made redundant at some undisclosed point in the future. 

So far I have applied for 13 jobs. The majority have required a covering letter which I have spent about 2 hours each on.

I have had 2 interviews, one of which resulted in a knockback and the other I declined as the comoany directors had an 'interesting ' history. I have had 3 further straight declines and radio silence from the rest.

Yet others in my office have almost immediate success.

It's a bitter pill and I don't know how much longer I can sustain the positive attitude before giving up.

Really sorry to ehar this, easy to say but keep your chin up and keep going. Hard work always pays, not matter how tough it can be getting there.

35 minutes ago, Kiltox said:

Have you had anyone look over your CV? Fresh pair of eyes can make a world of difference. 

I’m not a recruiter / HR person but do change job relatively often, happy to have a look if you like. 

Cheers chap.

A trusted shiter has done just that and my CV now looks loads better.

My weakness is covering letters and interviews i.e. positioning things, thankfully I'm getting some help with that too :)

It's just a bit shit when the arseholes who work around you can walk straight into a new job!

Big grump time!

850 is a Cat N, so needs an MOT early, very likely needs the top spring seats renewed before this can happen. I can neither afford nor be arsed with that right now. My current plan is bung it into the same kwikshit as last time and hope they don't notice. I wonder if the half tank of veg it's got in will help or hinder the emmissions test...

34 minutes ago, reb said:

Big grump time!

850 is a Cat N, so needs an MOT early, very likely needs the top spring seats renewed before this can happen. I can neither afford nor be arsed with that right now. My current plan is bung it into the same kwikshit as last time and hope they don't notice. I wonder if the half tank of veg it's got in will help or hinder the emmissions test...

Who says it needs MOT early? 

I drove my Cat C van for almost a year before the first MoT