The grumpy thread

outlaw118

6 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

My hermes has seemingly lost the ThinkPad T43 @beko1987 was kindly gifting me

I was looking forward to making it run all sorts of OSs it was not made to run boo!

(plus if your a computer person you need at least 1 old thinkpad in the collection somewhere :) )

I dont normally have any issue with my hermes, in fact other people of this household have had some parcels delivered by them a couple days ago, if anymore show up im going to tell the delivery driver to ask his m8s to sort their shit out

mind if someone somewhere saw it was a Laptop on an X Ray machine or something and thought they would help themselves, there going to be in for a nasty surprise :mrgreen:

Yep, it sucks. First parcel ive ever had lost as a sender through hermes too. It was in a massive box as well, waaaay oversized but all I had lying around. Hopefully whoever stole it was very dissapointed when they found an ancient laptop with a line down the screen throwing 3 error messages on boot due to the dead cmos battery and no charger, if I see it pop up on the thinkpad forums (I have the machine number somewhere) I'll give them hell.

Shame, waste of a good thinkpad, looked a bit tatty but worked utterly fine. Sorry man

On 5/22/2019 at 3:02 PM, dozeydustman said:

Had a lovely couple of days away in Kent doing things I do and visiting my family. Got home about half an hour ago, wife in tears (sent home from work). Mother in law has lung cancer, the type caused by exposure to asbestos. No other info at the moment, how aggressive, how set in etc.

What an shit end to a nice couple of days and weekend.

We had the news today that Mother in law has a few months, possibly only a few weeks left. She's still not seen the oncologist as her samples were sent to London for testing with experimental treatments and results will follow, but she has been assigned a lung/breathing nurse, a Macmillan nurse and a care plan for if she returns home is being drafted. I don't think she'll accept palliative chemo, and in her current state of severe weakness it can't be offered anyway.

In a way it's come as some relief as it's closure for my wife and her side of the family that we have a finite amount of time and to make the most of it while we can. Father in law will be totally emotionally lost without her.

Even though I had my suspicions that time was limited it still came as a shock to hear my wife say this.

7 hours ago, Datsuncog said:

Aye, still trying to work out here which bit I actually need - the three clutch kits above aren't just the same part by different manufacturers, but are apparently three completely separate fitments for different versions of the Forester XT.

Some fitments then list a few parts from different manufacturers (and price points) including Sachs - and although I don't much fancy the sound of the Transmech cheapo one, I also had a sharp intake of breath at the Exedy… and, naturally, there's no alternative on the Exedy fitment. Sod's law says this is probably the one that fits mine (won't be getting it from ECP, mind). The Valeo kit, for some reason, omits the thrust bearing...

ECP. unsurprisingly, offers no clue in their fitment guide as to what the actual difference is between them... all three are the same diameter, same weight, same number of fingers... though having grubbed about a few Subaru forums, it seems that some cars were fitted with dual mass flywheels. So that could be one reason. It appears that the manual-box version of the XT is so uncommon that no-one really knows...

Looks like I might just have to let the garage pull out what's there and then try to find a match for it which hopefully isn't arse-splittingly expensive. I knew when I viewed the car last year that the clutch wasn't 100% and have already set aside a few quid for a replacement, though I may have to move a few more pennies out of savings... the last time I swapped a clutch it was on a Viva HC and cost me £30, so you can imagine the pearl-clutching at Casa Datsuncog over this...

And the bugger needs a set of tyres and all. But still - it's a rapid and reliable old bus and I do rather like it, plus it was pretty cheap for what it is, so I'm not gonna bin it off over a clutch.

1798530739_20190514_213326sml.thumb.jpg.d3bbf75a19e0d1949d3bdd5ce6c33ba5.jpg

Get the Autodoc app,save the details of the car and then check what's available.Usually each application has details of the differences between parts.

I took the 20 year life  light apart that failed after a year ....  it will save anyone else the job of wondering what is inside ...

it wont go back together .

20190601_120929.thumb.jpg.db891fb868db5507ad4ab10eef4f6b54.jpg

as you can see the heat sink paste was not well applied

20190601_120943.thumb.jpg.d361f6a1540f1d1e7e9b97d9a7498ce8.jpg

The realisation that "doing a DollyWobbler" myself-European rather than Worldwide for now- means that I'll have to sell a number of my bikes, my Saab and my Vivaro.

Once I get back to UK from Spain in a couple of weeks, I won't have room in my garage for bikes, and either the car or van will have to be taxed and insured as it will have to be parked on the street as only room on my driveway for one.

Quite gutted that the bikes I have are the ones I wanted for years, the Saab has been modified to how I wanted (purchased with most of the mods done) and the Vivaro is a lovely long range hauler of bikes. Unless someone can offer storage in return for having use of them now and again to keep them in good fettle?

One of the problems of retirement and wanting to enjoy life whilst age, finances and health allows me to. A nice grump to have, but a grump all the same.

Not having a good day today.  At all.  Wasted half the afternoon trying to get the bastard Raleigh to start - it doesn't want to know, despite having fired up first time two weeks ago after 4 months sat in the garage untouched.  I've stripped and cleaned the carb (again), I've even treated the ungrateful bitch to a new spark plug.  Nothing.  Not even a fart.  It's definitely sparking, so it must be fuel related.  Except that the carb was fine two weeks ago.  And it seems fine now.  The float is floating, fuel is getting as far as the main jet, said jet is clear, so there's no reason why it shouldn't start.  So it must be ignition-related.  Except it's sparking fine, the timing was spot on last time and I haven't done anything since which could have altered it.  Except that it won't fire even when I take the carb off and spray Easystart directly into the inlet.  So I've given up on it - it can sit in the back garden going rusty for a bit.

Then I went to stick some fuel in the Lancia to take it out shopping, but some little cunt has sliced through the fuel filler pipe to nick the petrol.  Which will have been disappointing for them as there was only a fiver in there, but that's small consolation to me as the car is now immobile.  It looks like they had a go at the fuel cap but couldn't get it off so sliced the pipe instead.  I've found a replacement on Italian eBay, but it's going to be 50 quid by the time it's delivered to here, which is a lot for a bit of plastic.  And it looks like it's going to be a complete arsehole of a job - the jubilee clip holding the pipe on at the tank end has doubtless been there for 28 years and is therefore not going to come undone, and I can't even see how the poxy thing is held on at the filler end.  As a temporary solution I'm thinking an empty beer can slathered in Tiger Seal, wrapped round the pipe and jubilee clipped in place as tight as I can go without the crappy thin plastic collapsing in on itself.  It probably still won't be completely pez tight but it should at least enable me to get enough into the tank to get the car started and up onto the ramps so I can get at it more easily.

I then came indoors somewhat pissed off and chucked a pizza in the oven, then went on eBay to search for filler pipes.  Forgot about the pizza and it's burnt to a crisp.  I'm now drowning my sorrows with a bottle of Hobgoblin, which will no doubt give way to something stronger later on.

?

6 minutes ago, Saabnut said:

Check the compression on the raleigh. Spark and fuel at the right place and time but no start usually means the crankcase gasket has failed.

Sorry to ruin a shite evening.

There seems to be plenty of compression, given the effort that is needed to turn the engine over.  I haven't actually checked the value though - can't find my compression tester for one thing (and think it's broken anyway).

On 5/31/2019 at 7:25 PM, dozeydustman said:

And now one of the cats has decided the best place to have a crap is on the floor outside of its litter tray. Little wanker. Fresh litter as well. Probably because I changed it and I know she doesn't like me.

I have just had to replace a length of solid oak flooring trim, because the cat can't keep its piss in the tray, and has pissed on the wall, and it has soaked into the oak..  

18 quid.. for the oak

18 quid for a fancy litter tray with a roof. 

Im not sure how much a trip to "Switzerland" is, but every week she throws up somewhere in the house. Nice. 

On 5/31/2019 at 3:01 PM, MikeR said:

or do I need to think outside the box ......  and next time get a new car out of a situation like this ????

A few years back a woman turned right onto the main road I was trundling along on my Honda 90, forcing me into the gutter. I sounded the (very loud) horn - she kept coming. When I realised she was going to have me up on the pavement I stuck my boot into the NSR door. She then stopped. I rode alongside, and the conversation went along the lines of:

"Did you not see me?"

"Well, er, no"

"Right. It's broad daylight, I'm wearing a hi-vis vest. I'm riding a white and gold motorcycle with the headlight on, that's equipped with a massive air horn which you didn't hear either. What will it take for you to see me?"

"Well, er, I, er... um..."

<rides off>

I think we have to accept that no matter how hard you try to be visible, you can't account for those 'special' people who simply shouldn't be allowed out on the road.

47 minutes ago, strangeangel said:

A few years back a woman turned right onto the main road I was trundling along on my Honda 90, forcing me into the gutter. I sounded the (very loud) horn - she kept coming. When I realised she was going to have me up on the pavement I stuck my boot into the NSR door. She then stopped. I rode alongside, and the conversation went along the lines of:

"Did you not see me?"

"Well, er, no"

"Right. It's broad daylight, I'm wearing a hi-vis vest. I'm riding a white and gold motorcycle with the headlight on, that's equipped with a massive air horn which you didn't hear either. What will it take for you to see me?"

"Well, er, I, er... um..."

<rides off>

I think we have to accept that no matter how hard you try to be visible, you can't account for those 'special' people who simply shouldn't be allowed out on the road.

I have had to kick a few cars in my 30 years on motorbikes, some are the utterly clueless you don’t see you but the worst are the ones you know have seen you but come on anyway and assume you can either ride in 2 inches of road or disappear completely. A couple of swift kicks usually works.  Out of my 30 years all but about 18 months has been on bikes 750cc or above and mostly 1100cc+ so not exactly small things and a few crossers here and there which are physically big and noisy as hell. As you say, some people shouldn’t be on the road.

I have actually put high vis yellow strips on the front of the bonnet ...... they do get stared at !!!  , and they do work , but not noticed by everyone ...

the cashier in the petrol station even commented on them .. I  replied   " its because of the" bad"  drivers around here "

Last night up town was worse than when the races are on.

Would rather spend two weeks locked in a guest house basement in Chernobrhyl than have to face that again.

Somebody in the block of flats opposite mine has a dog. They let the dog out and leave it in the yard and the poor thing just sits waiting to come back in or paces the perimeter of the yard repeatedly (to the point there is a clear track), sometimes it is out for over an hour at a time, rain or shine.

61501946_2280940035489303_9222269742088192_n.thumb.jpg.4ec4c58382e78807adb1658926f6e0cd.jpg

61668361_2157998500982229_528888023790649344_n.thumb.jpg.45f409564a7ea7a585bf02e8c73fd122.jpg

It used to be let out with a Shetland or Rough Collie which looked to have had bad hips and couldn't really walk very well but I've not seen that one for a few months. So now this dog just sits outside alone for ages looking up at the flat windows, if anybody opens the back door it darts back inside so it clearly doesn't want to be out there...

I rarely go to classic car shows, but as i hadnt been to any this year, i decided to book my Somerset in to Elveden show in Thetford forest.

Lovely location, good organisation but why oh why didnt they have a minimum age on entries? Loads of modern sports and prestige stuff, including an 18 plate BMW and Morgan, plus the usual hotrods/VWs/Jags/Stags/MGs/modified Minis meant there was very little of any interest to me. There was one solitary prewar car there, a 1930 Rover, and not including hotrods, about four pre 1960 cars.

I know shows have to move with the times and I'm sure there was lots of modern stuff at shows 20 years ago too, but they had plenty of older cars in attendance then whereas the majority have disappeared from classic car shows now.

I'm sorry, I don't go to classic car shows to look at rows and rows of Porsche Boxsters, MG TFs and modern Ferraris and BMWs. Time to properly stop attending I reckon as the last few I've been to have been like this.

On the plus side, the Somerset got a lot of attention and a few other people were complaining about all the modern cars there, so it wasn't just me!

IMG_20190602_152034.jpg

IMG_20190602_151956.jpg

IMG_20190602_152010.jpg

On the plus side, the photo uploader on this new version of the site is 100% better to use on mobile than the old one was. Uploading photos on the mobile version used to be a right ballache and its easy now (even with my shit Chinese smartphone) so well done to whoever's been working on it behind the scenes, great job!

Yes, please keep taking daily pictures/videos of that poor dog then let RSPCA know asap. Some people are just twats, suspect that that is their idea of it being exercised, or just somewhere it can use as a toilet.

5 hours ago, strangeangel said:

Get used to it; they'll only be telling us about it for the next 100000000 years or so.

This, times several million.  Truly dodged a bullet by packing in work, it'd have been an absolute nightmare now.