The grumpy thread

outlaw118

20 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

It appears that I have a wasps' nest in the attic.  Excelsior.

Can think of worse places.  Please try a can of spray carpet adhesive. 

I'm not going anywhere near the fucking thing.  It's right in the corner of the loft under the eaves (as far as I can tell from where the buzzing is coming from and the fact that said buzzing goes mental when I bang on the ceiling in the corner of my bedroom) so access is not going to be good.  I'm not allergic to wasp stings but I'm not exactly fond of them either, and trying to beat a hasty retreat whilst picking my way across rafters and down a shonky ladder strikes me as a recipe for disaster.

1 hour ago, wuvvum said:

I'm not going anywhere near the fucking thing.  It's right in the corner of the loft under the eaves (as far as I can tell from where the buzzing is coming from and the fact that said buzzing goes mental when I bang on the ceiling in the corner of my bedroom) so access is not going to be good.  I'm not allergic to wasp stings but I'm not exactly fond of them either, and trying to beat a hasty retreat whilst picking my way across rafters and down a shonky ladder strikes me as a recipe for disaster.

Find the wasp motorway to the outside world, should be easy by the constant stream of the stripey little fuckers crawling in or out of the same hole on the outside of the house. They are creatures of habit and will have only one entry / exit point

Get some stripey little bastard killer powder stuff from the garden centre.

Wait until dusk, at this point you will observe that all activity on the wasp motorway will have dwindled down to fuck all traffic.

climb a ladder on the outside of the house.

deposit wasp powder into the hole, don't be shy with it.

next morning little bastards will go in and out of the motorway again as usual but will now be dragging poison back in for the queen.

Nest will be dead within 48h

zero risk of attracting a sting

my fucking whinge for the day.

Yesterday mrs managed to break the dishwasher again. bottom tray overflow float activated. means that diswasher needs tilting back to drain water from under tray. which I did.

Then it came up with a blocked pump message. ffs

had a look at it after my supper was was pulling lumps of plastic n shite out of it.

Some how my fault that mrs loads mugs and plates into dishwasher with plastic food wrapping on them.

Cleared it but then message E01 = call the Bosch engineer because machine has shut down. ffs

I suggested that we need an engineer. Mrs launches into a "don't spoil my evening" rant which culminated in me doing absolutely nothing right. ;) 

Then she tells me that I need to field phone calls from her dad this morning because sky engineer is visiting to finally fix their sky tv. Invaluable to the poor old 87 year old who has been without it since his house move. Mrs has done all the chat and negotiation over the last 3 weeks. 

So why do I need to be on hand? Because Mrs is going for a fucking run and coffee with her friends this morning. gah

I pointed out that I need to work to get RR finished to get it sold to bring in money.

Her fuckwitted response is "yeah I know you have your greedy eyes on my parents inheritance" 

I tipped a glass of red wine onto the carpet, called her a poisonous vile old bag* (or words similar that are unprintable) and retired to my computer.

An hour later she extended an olive branch and said sorry.

BUT shit sticks, I am still angry with her, 3rd time she has come up with this shit and it could not be further from the truth. Low mood means that I just cannot shake it

She is still irritated that I cannot fix the dishwasher that she fucked up in the first place.

22 long hard years of happy marriage delivers new challenges every day :D

Oh and my blood pressure is stratospheric and I am dizzy as fuck which means that I have an inner ear infection and I am still busy.

Am I doing the washing up? nah

20190518_105014.thumb.jpg.c679ade60a41cb643e630671f2e162f7.jpg

I will do when she finishes her coffee and we can do it together.

Sons have A-levels this week so are deep in revisions

16 hours ago, Tamworthbay said:

You know that moment when you realise someone you thought was a mate is in reality an unmistakable cunt? Yup just had one of those.........

Yeah, been there.  Not long ago or too far from here.

1 hour ago, richardthestag said:

Find the wasp motorway to the outside world, should be easy by the constant stream of the stripey little fuckers crawling in or out of the same hole on the outside of the house. They are creatures of habit and will have only one entry / exit point

I've been watching the roof and found where they're going in and out - between two roof tiles.  I don't have a ladder long enough to reach up there.  However, looking at the shape of the critters going in and out (they're too high up and too smoll for me to be able to make out the full details), I think they might be bees rather than wasps.  If that is the case then I will leave them alone.

1 hour ago, chaseracer said:

Yeah, been there.  Not long ago or too far from here.

Yeah it’s not good is it, someone who has been a close friend for a few years and then suddenly the most vile racist rant I have heard in years comes out for absolutely no reason whatsoever, both in front of me and partly on Facebook. What really pisses me off is that they have used more than their fair share of the NHS over the years but were happy to slag off all immigrants as ‘parasites’.  I didn’t get into a big argument, no point, but won’t be making contact again. You think you know someone..........

2 hours ago, richardthestag said:

my fucking whinge for the day.

Yesterday mrs managed to break the dishwasher again. bottom tray overflow float activated. means that diswasher needs tilting back to drain water from under tray. which I did.

Then it came up with a blocked pump message. ffs

had a look at it after my supper was was pulling lumps of plastic n shite out of it.

Some how my fault that mrs loads mugs and plates into dishwasher with plastic food wrapping on them.

Cleared it but then message E01 = call the Bosch engineer because machine has shut down. ffs

I suggested that we need an engineer. Mrs launches into a "don't spoil my evening" rant which culminated in me doing absolutely nothing right. ;) 

Then she tells me that I need to field phone calls from her dad this morning because sky engineer is visiting to finally fix their sky tv. Invaluable to the poor old 87 year old who has been without it since his house move. Mrs has done all the chat and negotiation over the last 3 weeks. 

So why do I need to be on hand? Because Mrs is going for a fucking run and coffee with her friends this morning. gah

I pointed out that I need to work to get RR finished to get it sold to bring in money.

Her fuckwitted response is "yeah I know you have your greedy eyes on my parents inheritance" 

I tipped a glass of red wine onto the carpet, called her a poisonous vile old bag* (or words similar that are unprintable) and retired to my computer.

An hour later she extended an olive branch and said sorry.

BUT shit sticks, I am still angry with her, 3rd time she has come up with this shit and it could not be further from the truth. Low mood means that I just cannot shake it

She is still irritated that I cannot fix the dishwasher that she fucked up in the first place.

22 long hard years of happy marriage delivers new challenges every day :D

Oh and my blood pressure is stratospheric and I am dizzy as fuck which means that I have an inner ear infection and I am still busy.

Am I doing the washing up? nah

20190518_105014.thumb.jpg.c679ade60a41cb643e630671f2e162f7.jpg

I will do when she finishes her coffee and we can do it together.

Sons have A-levels this week so are deep in revisions

Oh I get that, but not quite in the same way

"ffs why do you have to do that fucking hoover now?" 

*in my head*"because I want it gone as the guys giving me £180 for it..."

*real life*"because I want it gone and out of the way... 

Sod telling her what I actually get for them! And soon I won't ever have to again! 

24 minutes ago, Tamworthbay said:

Yeah it’s not good is it, someone who has been a close friend for a few years and then suddenly the most vile racist rant I have heard in years comes out for absolutely no reason whatsoever, both in front of me and partly on Facebook. What really pisses me off is that they have used more than their fair share of the NHS over the years but were happy to slag off all immigrants as ‘parasites’.  I didn’t get into a big argument, no point, but won’t be making contact again. You think you know someone..........

A few years back, a chap I used to ride with on a regular basis, and that I considered a mate, surprised me when he started on about how he was off to Bradford for an EDL march. That was the last time I clapped eyes on him.

3 hours ago, wuvvum said:

I've been watching the roof and found where they're going in and out - between two roof tiles.  I don't have a ladder long enough to reach up there.  However, looking at the shape of the critters going in and out (they're too high up and too smoll for me to be able to make out the full details), I think they might be bees rather than wasps.  If that is the case then I will leave them alone.

defo, bee family do nowt but good.

stripey bastard family just do nowt

I've overdone it with work.  That meant I had to take yesterday off which is usually my big earning day of the week.  Today I slept in WAY too late and that in turn meant missing out heading over to Wetherby to meet Meter Rat and other BXers, possibly Dean too.  Feeling pretty grotty, seriously short-tempered with everyone and everything and the end of last week I lost my temper with a customer, which I never do, and am hoping I can repair any damage caused there.  Absolutely everything is ticking me off at the moment and even though I'm supposed to be doing the Princess brakes with Mike tomorrow, I can see it becoming something of a tool throwing shouting match if I can't manage to unwind.

It's all very First World Problems, I'm aware.  I've just been holding it all in, as you have to sometimes, to try and get through Stuff and Things, improve my financial lot, expand my business, and try and get on with life.  Sometimes, being self-employed is seriously trying and not having a real world friend network doesn't help.  I can't just pop down the local to see my mates, because I haven't got any that close.  Mike bears the brunt of all my frustration because he lives in the same house and I tend to focus my frustrations on him, unfairly, and the smallest things he does sometimes wind me up so much it's impossible even though it's not like he's doing it on purpose nor is it really that big a deal.

I probably need a holiday or something.  Why must everything constantly be so difficult?

To add to the above, my suspicions that the suspension on the Princess is not quite right have been confirmed with a corner bounce.  Driver's side front is firmer than the other three corners which hints at a lack of gas since it hasn't leaked any fluid out and sits almost imperceptibly lower than the other side.  Great joy.  I have no spare front displacers and no money with which to obtain one, nor refurbish the existing one.  So I'll get the brakes done and then likely have to lay it up until I can afford to get some suspension work done.  Happy days.

2 minutes ago, vulgalour said:

To add to the above, my suspicions that the suspension on the Princess is not quite right have been confirmed with a corner bounce.  Driver's side front is firmer than the other three corners which hints at a lack of gas since it hasn't leaked any fluid out and sits almost imperceptibly lower than the other side.  Great joy.  I have no spare front displacers and no money with which to obtain one, nor refurbish the existing one.  So I'll get the brakes done and then likely have to lay it up until I can afford to get some suspension work done.  Happy days.

Does it need fixing? Or can you continue driving as is just with suspension not so smooth?

Yes, it needs fixing.  The more it's used, the more gas will leak, and the greater the chance of splitting a diaphragm.  I have the BX to rely on thankfully, so it makes more sense to mothball the Princess, save up, and get all the displacers regassed.  It's just expensive to get done, and I was hoping I wouldn't have any more big car bills for a while.

On 5/18/2019 at 6:20 PM, richardthestag said:

defo, bee family do nowt but good.

stripey bastard family just do nowt

Your local council will probably offer a service. I’ve just checked and mine is £53 for three nests.

https://www.surreyheath.gov.uk/residents/environmental-services/pest-control/pest-control-charges

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 11:12 PM, Doctormop said:

Thanks all for your good wishes Much appreciated and genuinely helpful

I wasn't going to post on here about what happened but last night just started typing and am glad I Did.

I am crap at communicating and am trying to be better at it

The Tell me Show me Describe idea has really helped, Deep down I'm a bit Who What Why When etc and it doesn't help with anything non mechanical,

I will look at things differently from now on.

Whilst I never really got on with My Brother I am going to miss him but just wish He was easier to like I mean He could have tried to help Himself, Family tried Work tried Social Services all did their best but He wouldn't accept help unless it was in the form of money to drink and gamble We reckon a conservative estimate of his losses over 25 years is around £200k

Guilt and anger are a big part of our lives at the moment I see that now

Thanks again to everyone who helped I'm in a much better place than I was 24 hours ago and will try to pass that on to the rest of the Family.

This place etc

Not excusing him, but drinking and gambling are illnesses and it's very hard for people to break the habit. Please try not to feel guilt. 

12 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

Your local council will probably offer a service. I’ve just checked and mine is £53 for three nests.

https://www.surreyheath.gov.uk/residents/environmental-services/pest-control/pest-control-charges

If they are wasps, leave them and wait until you have two more nests for best value.  

If they're bumblebees, they're probably tree bees, in which case leave them as they will cause no harm.  The description of thumping the ceiling doesn't sound like tree bees though.

If they're honey bees, a summer's honey stores will be a problem shortly.  Contact your local BKA, via the BBKA, to get someone to come and get them for free.

The telly again, soz.

All this 'modern' camera work is fucking awful. Stupid close-ups, partially blurred back grounds and weird camera angles are just awful to watch.

Bollocks

Dropped my son off at edge hill uni this evening , came up to the M58 roundabout on the way back, a car on it motoring at some speed so I stop and bang , run into from behind by a 68 plate Mercedes 

The damage looks exactly the same as when the last numpty hit it in 2017 

What a pain in the arse , only 2 bonuses 

1 , I was going to go in the mustang but couldn't be bothered to play musical cars and take the disklok off 

2 it's all on dashcam including all my swearing which will be nice for whoever's has to review it.

On 5/18/2019 at 1:49 PM, richardthestag said:

Find the wasp motorway to the outside world, should be easy by the constant stream of the stripey little fuckers crawling in or out of the same hole 

Wait until dusk, at this point you will observe that all activity on the wasp motorway will have dwindled down to fuck all traffic.

deposit wasp powder into the hole, don't be shy with it.

next morning little bastards will go in and out of the motorway again as usual but will now be dragging poison back in for the queen.

Nest will be dead within 48h

zero risk of attracting a sting

I tried that a few years ago when they were in some tree roots , went out at dusk to where I knew the entrance was , shone a torch and the sneaky little fuckers had covered it with leaves so I got a stick to poke it open again

All I can say is in this instance you're wrong about their only being one entrance and they can scramble faster than a spitfire squadron when attacked

My wife still smiles when I mention it , seeing me running down the garden under attack 

The worst I ever got stung was when I was helping my dad put up a fence. Stake straight through the nest. As you can imagine, they were pretty angry. 

Sprinted 100 metres with them following us the whole way. I jumped in the car to find 8 of them clinging onto me and stinging. Ended up with over 12 stings on me. 

16 hours ago, loserone said:

If they're bumblebees, they're probably tree bees, in which case leave them as they will cause no harm.  The description of thumping the ceiling doesn't sound like tree bees though.

They do look rather like tree bees from what I can see of them.

Re the thumping the ceiling thing, I found this quote on a web article about them:

1. Rapid reaction and defensive behaviour when a nest suffers vibration.
  2. The sound of bee activity heard through a ceiling – which can sometimes cause concern.

I have both of those.  I'm therefore going to assume they're harmless bumblebees and leave them well alone unless and until it is proven otherwise.