The grumpy thread

outlaw118

I've had enough of my job.  I've stepped up recently due to staff issues and they've been supportive.  Until last week when there was a communications cock-up and it left me very upset and angry.  Senior managers haven't got the faintest clue that they cocked up until my colleague points it out to them.  No apology, no shits given.  They're relying on me staying here for a couple of months more to fulfil the extra I've taken on but I'm not under obligation to do so.  To cover me, it would cost them a lot of money and I'm only being compensated 'by the book', too.  Full-time cover would cost them thousands and they're getting away with a couple of hundred.  They've probably forgotten that they're only entitled to a month's notice from me - most others are on two months.

If I find something else, I'll call their bluff and leave them in the shit.  I don't owe them anything.

It was only after being made redundant that my boss realised the little work I did could not be understood by anyone. Lol

I recently met a lad that had written various makros to make his job easy, but nobody actually knew, and he wasn't telling them his secret. 

When he went on holiday for a week, his stand in was doing 12 hour days to keep up. 

Hilarious. 

My job is like this! I put maybe 30% effort in but it's the 10% of the time when something happens that no one else knows how to even start looking at it lands on my desk and is sorted within half a day the old manual way, rather than the macro tool that broke it in the first place. 

Its why i get left alone

There are certainly things at my job that only I know and for what they pay me, they're unlikely to find anybody else that can figure it out.  I'm... overqualified.  But also struggle with mental health issues and until recently have been excellent.  They're also a very stable employer and I've got a strong union.

It's a tough one.  But I'm not going anywhere, I'm sick of not having any of my own money and they've insulted me in several different ways lately.

5 hours ago, New POD said:

If anyone should face misconduct charges, it should be the most senior officer that knew this was a tactic that was to be  used or being used and did not attempt to stop it. 

The police officer who actually rams the little fuckers is just following orders. 

I don't want to get into a string them up by the balls type discussion, because criminals on stolen mopeds are a scurge on society, and they need to be stopped.  

But maybe this sort of thing needs to be legislated in parliament, rather than one police force deciding to bend the rules. 

If society decides that helmetless, scroates are fair game, then change the law and make it a thing we are all allowed to do. 

There's a difference between stringing them up by the balls and letting them get away with it because they know that police won't touch them if they don't have a helmet on or whatever. 

There's a video on YouTube of a bloke in a Transit van ramming a BMW which appears to have a family in it - disturbing stuff, until you find out that the driver of the BMW had tried to steal the Transit at knifepoint, stabbing the driver's mate in the hand in the process, and that a new "tactic" used by those who commit vehicle crime is to take their (or someone else's) kids in the car with them because they know the police won't ram a car with kids in it.  There's no easy answer, but something needs to be done about these "get out of jail free" cards.

6 hours ago, Exiled_Tat_Gatherer said:

Golf - can't collect it - can't use a fucking clutch!

Boxster - can't collect it - can't use a fucking clutch!

Wuvvum delivery service potentially available (especially for the Boxster). :)

Microshaft Winblows has yet again made massive changes, whereby Office now has even stranger icons than the last. At least I don't have the most up-to-date version that has all those washed out abstract icons that mean some strange feature. It beats me as to why this has happened but I'll get used to it eventually.

10 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

There's a difference between stringing them up by the balls and letting them get away with it because they know that police won't touch them if they don't have a helmet on or whatever. 

There's a video on YouTube of a bloke in a Transit van ramming a BMW which appears to have a family in it - disturbing stuff, until you find out that the driver of the BMW had tried to steal the Transit at knifepoint, stabbing the driver's mate in the hand in the process, and that a new "tactic" used by those who commit vehicle crime is to take their (or someone else's) kids in the car with them because they know the police won't ram a car with kids in it.  There's no easy answer, but something needs to be done about these "get out of jail free" cards.

I'm not saying don't give the police powers which might seriously maim a suspect.

I'm saying make it legal, through our elected representatives having a free vote in parliment and changing the law, and then publicicizing it so that no one can say they were not warned. 

If you don't stop, when the blues and tunes go on, then prepare to eat hospital food through a straw. 

Might not be on as much for a while, my neck is getting worse due to the arthritis and looking at a period with it being ‘rested’ in certain positions in the hope it avoids me having to have surgery but which won’t allow me to easily use my iPad (not a hard choice to make). So if I am a bit slow replying to messages or posts, please accept my apologies.

18 minutes ago, Tamworthbay said:

Might not be on as much for a while, my neck is getting worse due to the arthritis and looking at a period with it being ‘rested’ in certain positions in the hope it avoids me having to have surgery but which won’t allow me to easily use my iPad (not a hard choice to make). So if I am a bit slow replying to messages or posts, plus accept my apologies.

Yikes....

Good luck, hope the rest period helps.

3 hours ago, Fumbler said:

Microshaft Winblows has yet again made massive changes, whereby Office now has even stranger icons than the last. At least I don't have the most up-to-date version that has all those washed out abstract icons that mean some strange feature. It beats me as to why this has happened but I'll get used to it eventually.

I wondered what had happened to mine! I hate Windows. As soon as I've finished with my Masters (my University's intransigence means all they support is WIndows and the reassuringly expensive manufacturer which shall remain nameless) it's back to Linux for me - in a heartbeat.

1 hour ago, Tamworthbay said:

Might not be on as much for a while, my neck is getting worse due to the arthritis and looking at a period with it being ‘rested’ in certain positions in the hope it avoids me having to have surgery but which won’t allow me to easily use my iPad (not a hard choice to make). So if I am a bit slow replying to messages or posts, please accept my apologies.

Ouch! GWS!

37 minutes ago, strangeangel said:

Can't believe Liverpool got themselves out of the shit tonight, apparently they've turned Barca over 4-0.

Liverpool supporter here, and I can't believe it either #thegreatescape

Only thing that could top it is Man City losing to Brighton in the final PL game, but we all know that'll never happen....

Following an army lorry home for the last mile and debris starts to fall off it's trailer. First, a metal bar. Hit that. 

Then a wooden chock. Hit that too. The amount of dust coming up was insane. 

Think it's quite badly damaged my car. Melted the inner edge of the tyre as it got wedged up there.

Obviously they didn't stop in response to beeping and flashing.

Police say without a numberplate no action is the most likely result. 

Ffs.

20190507_222748.jpg

20190507_222849.jpg

Indeed, they'd obviously keep a track of vehicle movements but the military police can't assist as they have no officers in the area and the civilian police have very little to go on, unless the person right behind me also reported it. 

Meh!

Sometimes I really am a fucking idiot. I spent ages tonight building a trampoline for cost JR. When I went to fit the springs I realised I'd fitted half the bars upside down so there weren't any holes to hook the springs into. FUUuuuuuuuck

Thank god for impact drivers.

On 5/7/2019 at 10:29 PM, M'coli said:

This forum upgrade has really mucked up searching for your own content, even using Google.

Have you tried the "Content I started" on the menu at top, under Activity? It'll take you to https://autoshite.com/discover/content-started/ and then you can change it to posts you've made etc. 

Searching is really powerful on the new forum, but I agree it's a pain - everything seems to be spread out over several different pages. 

Unfortunately that incident involving debris the other night has definitely compromised one of the Xantias front tyres. An obvious bulge in the sidewall....

Bugger.

On the flip side it doesn't seem to have damaged the car too much, but looking underneath has reminded me the (reasonably small) LHM leak also needs sorting

Just tried to do a bit more on the Saab. Rain. Joy.

Ordered a 36mm impact socket to get off the rogue hub nut on tuesday with next day delivery. Still not shown up. Can't find my hacksaw to cut off the drop link. There is free play in BOTH bottom ball joints now I've started stripping things down so I've got to order another suspension arm. I seriously doubt the MoT station the wife's mechanic sent the car to are actually any good - why mark one balljoint as knackered when both have slop in them?

And I still can't find this sodding exhaust leak.

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh FFS, trying to buy three new cars.  One's just got back to me, one is mine if I can collect asap (waiting to hear from recovery fella) and the other (which'd be an ace catch) is in the air.