The grumpy thread

outlaw118

May not help if they're in top gear and the cars power band is just out of reach, so fine going along flat or down, but once they hit uphill does not matter how much the CC adds power, the car simply won't go.

Not driven too many modern vehicles but going from popular opinion some of them, especially the modern tiny engine a huge SUV type are gutless unless you drive them like they're a two stroke.

By far the worst offenders were actually people in things like Merc C220Ds though, which definitely have cruise control they definitely weren’t using

Having never had such luxuries as cruise control does it

keep you at the same speed uphill and down ?

Reason I ask is that I have noticed a lot of modern large

cars on the motorway, that I would expect to have cruise, 

slow down going uphill.

I know that mine doesn't slow you down going downhill but definitely will maintain speed uphill, provided that the engine and gearing can do it.  So probably just idiots driving them as usual.

slow down going uphill.

All will keep going up hill at the same speed, if the engine has enough power to. Some modern ones (our A4 does) use the brakes down hill. My old Laguna II (now angle on this forum) retarded the ignition to try slowing down the hill - not smoothly mind (probably because Renault not refinement). Auto cars with a modern electronic ECU for the gearbox may shift down to help with engine braking too.

Newer systems have a radar in the front bumper. This measures the distance from the car in front. So if the car in front is going slower than the cruise is set to, it will slow the car down to keep a set distance away.

The system will deactivate if you brake. Many systems will deactivate if you push the clutch. Not all though, our A4 will resume the cruise after changing gear. Handy if going from say a 30mph, hitting resume cruise for 70mph, then changing up as you go along.

slow down going uphill.

More interesting in an auto

Mega V6 : Occassionally, if the cruise is set fairly low. Say 50.mph. And a hill comes up it will drop.a gear and accelerate to more than 50. mph. Before changing up and trying to get back to.50.

Just once on.a long accent, it did this twice.

PUKE: 1.6 MANUAL. so you are in cruise and overtake him in top, and there's a hill. Really you should be in a lower gear. There's not enough torque. So the engine can't pull at the low revs you are at.

If you fail.to realise.it will.. continue to.loose speed.

So you change down, but pressing the clutch turns off cruise.

Downhill?

Neither car applies the brake automatically, so if the hill.is steep.enough you'll increase in speed

Applying the brake kicks off the cruise.

4 me this is the danger point with speed cameras

They work better in an auto. Have the cruise set at 80, then hit resume at 30 and hold on!

I did it once by accident...

I once set the cruise at xx5 mph. and pressed resume at 25 with the gearbox sport button.pressed. I.meant to press set. Not resume. That split second of panic, I will not forget..

I use cruise pretty much constantly on the motorway. Trick is to set it at a speed which doesn't take the piss and leave it. It's quite surprising how much higher the average speed can be when using cruise than when not.

The other week I went up to the lakes to meet DollyWobbler and a few others, set the cruise to a sensible motorway speed for the run up the M6 and barely had to touch it again for something like 60 miles. My average speed was remarkably decent over that stretch of motorway. Mainly because the car will happily do 70 without breaking sweat or slowing going up hills. It's a very relaxing way to travel.

I use cruise all the time in my van, on a long stretch downhill it somehow keeps the speed to whatever the cruise is set at, I'm not sure if it does that via clever engine braking or using the brakes.

The M56 between the port and Warrington.

The worst stretch of motorway I have used - traffic speeding up and slowing down.

For no reason. No police, no breakdowns, no roadworks.

No wonder there are so many bumps on that stretch.

Silly cow travelling in the nearside lane on the M25 at just under 50mph, I indicate and pull out to overtake, draw alongside and she tries to occupy the same time and space as the Rover. Horn honking and she swerved back after two goes of wanting to be where the Rover was, oblivious and/or just ignoring me. As I go past and then pull in, I see her move over into the second lane and just trundle on. It's not like the Rover is invisible really. 

Lancia has just disgraced itself.  Took it to Tesco to get some cat food, came out and in the parking space next to it was a fit young lass in a Kia Pride.  We exchanged compliments on each other's choice of car, then I got in the Lancia, and of course the fucking thing wouldn't start.  I was sat there churning it over and over and getting increasingly annoyed whilst Kia lass was quite obviously trying not to lol.  Of course as soon as she'd left the fucking thing fired straight up. :angry:

Re cruise- the roads here allow use of it extensively. Jeep will do the equivalent of mash the gas pedal to the carpet if it has to. Gearbox responds accordingly.

Downhill it'll back off the throttle until you hit about 5mph over what it was set to, then it'll change down a gear. It'll also gently apply the brakes if it has to but that's only if it changing down a gear or two doesn't work and the vehicle's does continues to increase.

One thing that gets me is if I'm on cruise control, approaching a vehicle at maybe 5moh more than then, pull out a lane to pass and invariably they'll speed up as I near their rear quarter. Put my foot down to go by and they slow back down to the original speed once I'm past.

I'm thinking this is some aerodynamic nonsense because if I'm on cruise control and someone else gotta to go past me slowly I'll see the instant fuel economy rise as they approach (as the cruise backs off the throttle) then back down as the nose of their vehicle comes about level with the B pillar.

Should that happen? The wave of air they're moving out of the way push against my car in a positive fashion?

Phil

I've noticed the power of the bow wave when my (completely un-aerodynamic) camper is overtaken by equally un-aerodynamic but far more powerful vehicles (artics and curtain siders etc) - apart from the sideways shove as they ease in front, there is also a big increase in drag, stealing 2 - 3 mph (as the camper throttle is already wide open, with nothing more to give) until they are past and pulled in and the benefit of slipstreaming appears.

ETA I can't say I've ever noticed a benefit in terms of drag reduction until fully in their slipstream...

Sent from my BV6000 using Tapatalk

A BMW driving through a 20 zone.... Uprooted a tree at 7am and both driver and passenger died.

It's horrible that they've died and this makes me sound like an utter cunt, but I can see the headlines now.

"They wouldn't hurt a soul, he was a good lad. Etc"

The car has split into 2 ffs. It's a 20 zone because it's a school zone and there's joggers etc around there.

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/hull-east-yorkshire-news/two-men-die-cavendish-road-2784513

post-8806-0-09728000-1555953747_thumb.jpeg

post-8806-0-64583800-1555953808_thumb.jpeg

post-8806-0-08882300-1555953827_thumb.jpeg

I doubt there's be many joggers or schoolkids around at 7am mind, unfortunately this happens all the time, someone here managed to jump their car over a 6ft wall on the wrong side of the road and end up on the bank of a river, in a 20 zone, they obviously were going way to fast, it was a shame they walked away unscathed.

A school mate of mine had a bright orange Talbot Horizon. In a fairly low speed head on around a blind bend one night it literally fell in half.

No one was hurt but the back seat passengers were left sitting, still strapped in like some sort of fairground ride.

Turned out to be a back street cut and shut of the old school pre Vic days.

Could have happened to them?

Cruise is no good if you are surrounded by helmets who can't maintain a steady speed.

Exactly my sentiments. The only thing I regularly drive with such a new-fangled gizmo is the camper, and in reality the only use it gets is when my right knee gets stiff and I need to stretch my leg for a few seconds.

Some hideous, screaming stupid bint with her kid who was walking through a car park yesterday morning and some old bloke (who was reversing out very slowly) ran into them. Must have been all of next-t-sod-all-MPH but the woman was beyond hysterical. She actually made things worse for her poor bloody kid, effed and jeffed at people who tried to help her, then shot out of the car park not wearing a seat belt.

Fair play if someone had been hurt, or it'd been deliberate, but she was a fucking idiot and no doubt will probably attempt to claim eleventy million quid in compo.

Problem is, when you're stupid, you don't know you're stupid.

Reminds me of my ex sister in law. 100% drama queen.

I remember the time she claims she was shot at.

No one else saw a thing. Not even the council guy who was strimming the grass verge at the time.

I reversed into a car driving behind me in a car park once.  100% my fault.  I got out of the car and walked around to talk to the driver, when the passenger door swung open and I got a mouthful of abuse from the driver's teenage daughter.  

The solution?  I shouted back: 'I'm not bloody talking to you, I'm talking to your mother.  Now shut up so we can have an adult conversation.'

The driver smiled at that.  We had a conversation and it was all absolutely fine...

A BMW driving through a 20 zone.... Uprooted a tree at 7am and both driver and passenger died.

It's horrible that they've died and this makes me sound like an utter cunt, but I can see the headlines now.

"They wouldn't hurt a soul, he was a good lad. Etc"

The car has split into 2 ffs. It's a 20 zone because it's a school zone and there's joggers etc around there.

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/hull-east-yorkshire-news/two-men-die-cavendish-road-2784513

If that's the damage a Beemer sustains at 20 I'd hate to have a proper accident in one!

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk