The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Having said that, it's France

Exactly.  If it's still standing come the morning, it doesn't matter how damaged it is, there is no way in hell it will be condemned.  Being both French and Catholic I'm possibly more emotionally involved and thus less rational than some, but it is almost impossible to exaggerate how important this building is to the French.

While historically that's been the case I reckon than in this day and age the site will be surveyed, with the effects of heat on the mortar etc and it'll be condemned as being to risky to work on.

Having said that, it's France, so it may be rebuilt. If it was a UK building the proposals for a block of student flats and a Costa drive-thu would already have been submitted...

I would of normally said that I wonder if some dodgy insurance/wanting the land a listed building is on BS is going on

however given the building in question I highly doubt thats the case (id hate to know the building insurance premiums on something like this however!)

what I do wonder is, given that there has been fairly recent a few fires in historic buildings under going renovation work, where the fires where caused by said renovation work

I wonder if anyone thought to fit a temporary sprinkler system or such to avoid stray welder sparks or something setting fire to things?

Also grumpy because CBS newsroom were conversing about the significance of the cathedral for "not only Catholics but Christians as well"

Oh dear.

Even better was the mandarin Mussolini offering his wisdom on twitter that a water bomber would help.

A bit of France profonde up in smoke, other than the tower it's hard to think of something more emblematic of Paris.

Speculating on what the news have reported the fire will be found(if a cause is ever attributed) to have started due to the use of gas torches to fit new lead to the roof. The consequences of not having fire patrols during and after hot work has been carried out is a lesson that is regularly relearned.

Obviously I know nothing about the technicalities of such things, but watching the footage I can't help but think how feeble the firefighting efforts appear to be. :?

I have a little firefighting training as a result of being a salty seadog; short of Trumpton getting onsite within 5 minutes or so of the fire starting to burn this kind of fire is more or less unstoppable, old buildings like this are essentially funfairs for flames, no firewalls, fire doors, or other fire prevention, just open spaces and lots of lovely dry wood.

They're the French. They're emotional and very strong willed. They'll throw anything at it to get it rebuilt.

I mean, come on. In my area of interest the French have all their ammonia plants running in overdrive, because they can, and most of their power grisd is supplied by a uranium sun, because they can. And we can't even build a power station without the main people pulling out.

Anyway I have a minor, very minor driving grump.

Sunday morning M6 Southbound just past junction 18. All four lanes open and empty. Overtook a Black 118D that was doing maybe 68 mph in lane 3. As I was doing an indicated 75, and a real 70 mph it took a little while. It was clear that his cruise control wasn't working because his speed kept going up and down.

Eventually I got a few car lengths ahead and moved across to lane 1. Still with cruise showing 75 mph.

He moves to lane 2. Starts catching me up, because is now doing 75 mph.

There's a slower car in lane one, but that's okay because at the speed the BMW is going, he'll be past and I'll be able to move In to lane 2.

As he comes along side I notice a baby in a rear facing child seat in the back.

He starts to.slow down. I notice that he,$ fucking texting. Hence the inability to keep to.one constant speed.

I'm coming up towards the slower car. I really don't want to kick it out of cruise. I indicate right and look across to See if he's noticed and might move over. I press the horn. Very lightly. No responce.

I press my brake, pull into lane 3, press resume on the cruise and overtake him. He's slowed down a little and I notice in the mirror he's moved into lane one and given that the car in front was doing about 50 mph, he's now going slower than that.

ALL THIS IS NOT MY GRUMP.

My grump is that immediately my wife started to have a go at me for my arrogance. Who am I? Phone police? Do I want to encourage road rage? If I use my horn, people will take offence and decide to exact revenge. Apparently I might be followed and stabbed. Apparently I might cause them to crash.

She went on for at least 25 minutes until we reached our destination.

I put it down to the fact that she's in pain and had to get up in the morning

Me and Mrs Steve79 finally decided to put a deposit down to buy our first house after years of renting (brand new house on a small development in a nice area of Bristol.

I know that should be positive, but the exact same identical house on the Newcastle or Midlands development is almost exactly £150k less than what we're paying FFS!

BRISTOL TAX YO!

SiC - you had the right idea buying outside of Brizzole.

I would of normally said that I wonder if some dodgy insurance/wanting the land a listed building is on BS is going on

however given the building in question I highly doubt thats the case (id hate to know the building insurance premiums on something like this however!)

what I do wonder is, given that there has been fairly recent a few fires in historic buildings under going renovation work, where the fires where caused by said renovation work

I wonder if anyone thought to fit a temporary sprinkler system or such to avoid stray welder sparks or something setting fire to things?

Catholic church IS an insurance company. They are so rich they self insure. There is no organisation with more wealth.

Anyway I have a minor, very minor driving grump.

Sunday morning M6 Southbound just past junction 18. All four lanes open and empty. Overtook a Black 118D that was doing maybe 68 mph in lane 3. As I was doing an indicated 75, and a real 70 mph it took a little while. It was clear that his cruise control wasn't working because his speed kept going up and down.

Eventually I got a few car lengths ahead and moved across to lane 1. Still with cruise showing 75 mph.

He moves to lane 2. Starts catching me up, because is now doing 75 mph.

There's a slower car in lane one, but that's okay because at the speed the BMW is going, he'll be past and I'll be able to move In to lane 2.

As he comes along side I notice a baby in a rear facing child seat in the back.

He starts to.slow down. I notice that he,$ fucking texting. Hence the inability to keep to.one constant speed.

I'm coming up towards the slower car. I really don't want to kick it out of cruise. I indicate right and look across to See if he's noticed and might move over. I press the horn. Very lightly. No responce.

I press my brake, pull into lane 3, press resume on the cruise and overtake him. He's slowed down a little and I notice in the mirror he's moved into lane one and given that the car in front was doing about 50 mph, he's now going slower than that.

ALL THIS IS NOT MY GRUMP.

My grump is that immediately my wife started to have a go at me for my arrogance. Who am I? Phone police? Do I want to encourage road rage? If I use my horn, people will take offence and decide to exact revenge. Apparently I might be followed and stabbed. Apparently I might cause them to crash.

She went on for at least 25 minutes until we reached our destination.

I put it down to the fact that she's in pain and had to get up in the morning

Good job she isn’t a passenger with me when I see shit like that then :-)

Me and Mrs Steve79 finally decided to put a deposit down to buy our first house after years of renting (brand new house on a small development in a nice area of Bristol.

I know that should be positive, but the exact same identical house on the Newcastle or Midlands development is almost exactly £150k less than what we're paying FFS!

BRISTOL TAX YO!

SiC - you had the right idea buying outside of Brizzole.

The advantage of buying a house somewhere expensive, is that when you retire You can move to Leominster and buy a mansion with a paddock.

Dad's cousin recently retired from Reading and sold his house. Bought a house with out buildings which are 3 holiday lets and still had change to buy a 3 bed semi near his brother in Blackpool. (Not sure why)

Good job she isn’t a passenger with me when I see shit like that then :-)

With her in the car I once brake tested* a fucking nutter in a Volvo xc90 who then proceeded to go fucking mental, and try to run me off the road, so she probably is right to think I should avoid all confrontation.

*brake testing someone who is 3 foot from you is probably not a great idea, and I regret the sudden impulse to do it.

But it was along time ago and I'm over 50 now.

To be honest, I'm not watching any coverage because it would be upsetting. But I like buildings.

I like seeing the marks of builders, plasterers, chippies, etc. I like that the painting I did today was on the same bit of doorframe someone painted in 1882. And I would be sad if that connection with the past were to be broken. Notre dame is a massive connection with a vast swathe of time and people. And that magic is being lost tonight.

Wuv, have a break from it dude.

Also, HC, take a hint. Some people are clearly upset, don't tell them they're wrong just because you don't get it. Don't fuck off, just lay off.

I suppose the fact that the building on fire is one we all recognise and know shows it's importance in the world.

at the risk of making myself sound like a total idiot, this has actually been a quite an interesting experience for me

because pretty much until today I had not really heard of this buildings existence!

just never came up in my life until now somehow...

so its been quite interesting to whiteness as an outsider so to speak

at the risk of making myself sound like a total idiot, this has actually been a quite an interesting experience for me

because pretty much until today I had not really heard of this buildings existence!

just never came up in my life until now somehow...

so its been quite interesting to whiteness as an outsider so to speak

Did you never watched this while growing up?

268x0w.png

Did you never watched this while growing up?

268x0w.png

nope, heard of it for sure, but never watched it,

my brother was the the movie buff of the house and he focused on more grown up films rather then Disney cartoons

(theres a reason Ali G is a film I fondly remember from my childhood LOL)

also surely the Routemaster Invacar Lightbulb computer stuff should be clear signals that i dont do normal?  :mrgreen:

edit: dont get me wrong im not trying to say its less horrible than it is, just wanted to clear that up before i accidentally upset anyone