The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Sort of proves that those who demand the right to free speech are entirely unable to deal with such a responsibility.

That’s a sweeping generalisation considering there’s plenty of reasonable chat going on there too.

Even a Brexit thread without uproar.

I’d prefer not to be classified in such a way.

Sort of proves that those who demand the right to free speech are entirely unable to deal with such a responsibility.

I don't enjoy joining these types of discussions but this comment is so extreme I couldn't let it pass unchallenged. It is quite extraordinarily authoritarian and controlling. To anyone who places value in liberty, free thought and free expression it is difficult to hear. The culture of the UK, as in all countries is cyclical. Sadly we are entering a phase of increasing puritanism, only this time not rooted in religion, but manifested in a concerted attempt to heal the world of its 'ugly thoughts'. In the process, everything the self-appointed moral arbiter decrees as offensive is extinguished. I am deeply unhappy about this in life and on Autoshite: I can see it leads nowhere good. 

FWIW, I don't hold you responsible for the manifestation of this new authoritarianism and controlling behaviour in Autoshite's moderation. I can see you agree with it, but I don't believe you are the prime mover behind it. I look elsewhere for that.

No doubt I will be flamed for this comment and I am fully expecting to be laughed at by people who have not understood me. But I feel it has to be said.

No.

Statistically they have exactly the same probability of winning next time as they did just before the draw.

Or yes ?

Or are we thinking that if they already had 5 balls out of 6, as the 6th ball was about to be chosen they had a one in 55 chance of winning the jackpot. And now they have a 1 in a trillion chance.

Just to be a pedant, you are talking about probability, not chance. Even if the probability is 1 in a trillion, you have a 50/50 chance.

I still feel bad for getting involved with that place in its beginning, I thought it was just going to be this place with more swearing, rather than the place to call Cavcraft Ian and bollox a cunt.

I've met billy and he's not the sort of person you'd call a cunt and live to tell the tale.

Never mind all that, a shiter is going to IKEA. There's someone who really needs our thoughts and prayers.

Make that two. Mrs BMH is priming me for a trip there as well. Not sure whether it'll be the Sheff one or Morley. The latter has the option of continuing to Bradford for a curry, Sheffield one just means coming home depressed.

I don't enjoy joining these types of discussions but this comment is so extreme I couldn't let it pass unchallenged. It is quite extraordinarily authoritarian and controlling. To anyone who places value in liberty, free thought and free expression it is difficult to hear. The culture of the UK, as in all countries is cyclical. Sadly we are entering a phase of increasing puritanism, only this time not rooted in religion, but manifested in a concerted attempt to heal the world of its 'ugly thoughts'. In the process, everything the self-appointed moral arbiter decrees as offensive is extinguished. I am deeply unhappy about this in life and on Autoshite: I can see it leads nowhere good.

FWIW, I don't hold you responsible for the manifestation of this new authoritarianism and controlling behaviour in Autoshite's moderation. I can see you agree with it, but I don't believe you are the prime mover behind it. I look elsewhere for that.

No doubt I will be flamed for this comment and I am fully expecting to be laughed at by people who have not understood me. But I feel it has to be said.

No flames I can see. Nope.

Have a biscuit.

Their metal shelves are really handy for the garage. You wouldn’t put a fucking gearbox on one but for tins of paint etc they’re great for ten quid. Got my eye on one of their unfinished pine cupboards as well. Unusually for domestic furniture they look up to getting knocked about in the garage.

I don't enjoy joining these types of discussions but this comment is so extreme I couldn't let it pass unchallenged. It is quite extraordinarily authoritarian and controlling.

Not intended as a flame, and it's possible I've misunderstood you, but I think you are incorrect.

We have never had freedom of speech in the UK. You have never been allowed to defame others. Public Order offences have existed for a very long time.

More recently, laws around certain protected characteristics have come in, and been strengthened over time, because we have finally realised that those people need extra protection from the law because they are more vulnerable. You are not allowed to say something racist, or derogatory to disabled people, not because of "thought police" but because those words cause serious harm.

I wholeheartedly agree with DW and Chaseracer, free speech does carry an enormous responsibility.