The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Hmm, seemed to have done something nasty to my hand whilst fitting the new toilet. I was pulling at the back panel to move it after trial fitting and felt a sudden sharp pain. Now my finger next to my little finger is painful radiating up to the wrist. I am struggling to hold anything of any weight. Think I must have pulled something :-(

The chain?

We still pull the chain , although we've never had a bog with a chain....

My wife would always remind the kids to "Flush the chain"

They have never seen a chain-pull toilet!

My Mrs is the same with our kids.

"Flush the chain!"

They have no idea what she is on about.

And they never flush the dam bog!

One of my colleagues once had to go through all manner of red tape and piss taking at work after he pulled the high mounted cistern off the wall with a enthusiastic tug (of the chain!).

Because it was an old asbestos cistern he had to go on the asbestos exposure register and everything. :-)

Youngest son and daughter are driving to the there... today for some gig.

Meant to check oil etc yesterday and forgot :(

Went out at 07:00 to check, removed filler cap which slipped out of my fingers and dropped down the back of the engine but didn't appear on the ground.

An hour later with a torch, four-claw grabber and a 2' steel rod poking at it - the grabber would get it but was unable to lift it.

Eventually managed to get it in a position where I could worm my arm down and get hold of it.

It was between the bulkhead and the drive shaft, the inner gaiter gripping it slightly so preventing the grabber lifting it.

Very mucky and scratchy down there.

Cleaned up, made a cuppa which I promptly knocked over and flooded the kitchen bench, kettle base, tea caddy etc.

I should be fitting a new lock and hinges to another daughters gas meter cabinet.

Not going out until I have to (to feed London bound daughters's cat).

They came back after twenty minutes to get her bluetooth dongle as my CDs are not to their taste.  First thought was that car had turned it's toes up.

Sorry to quote my own post but just had a call from daughter.

Thought the car had had a FTP.

She's just been contacted by a disaster agency she sometimes works for and has to fly out to attend the plane crash in Addis Ababa that happened this morning.  I think she will be repatriating the British deceased.

She's just been contacted by a disaster agency she sometimes works for and has to fly out to attend the plane crash in Addis Ababa that happened this morning.  I think she will be repatriating the British deceased.

I was just reading about that. I hope she has full mental health support from the agency.

Good luck to her, a horrible job I am sure but something that will bring some peace to the families involved. A very worthwhile thing to be doing, hope it goes well.

I was just reading about that. I hope she has full mental health support from the agency.

She is very professional and detached when she is working, as surgeons etc. have to be.

She only deals with the dead and their belongings.

It is still hard on her when children are involved but she stores that up for later.

She did have to deal with some of the victims of the Manchester bombing and the kids were hard to take.

Oh, that's terrible but sounds like she can bring some peace as Tamworth says. 

She is very professional and detached when she is working, as surgeons etc. have to be.

She only deals with the dead and their belongings.

It is still hard on her when children are involved but she stores that up for later.

She did have to deal with some of the victims of the Manchester bombing and the kids were hard to take.

I had to be involved in post mortems when I was doing cancer research and it isn’t a nice thing but as long as you think about the reasons for doing it your mind can take a surprisingly large amount of crap you wouldn’t expect it to. And in my experience women were, on the whole, better at coping with the emotional side of working with the dead. The worst were the overly macho types that said they wanted to see dead bodies.

Not really a grump as it's just one of those things, but my wee lad of 5 has Chickenpox. He's been off colour for about a month but in the last 4 days he has experienced a horrendous onslaught of itchy, fiery spots. They are also painful and some are around his eyelids and in his mouth. They actually look more like the case of shingles that my wife had a few years ago, they are that red and angry looking.

We are going up to the Hospital tonight for the 3rd time with him as this seems more severe than the virus should be. Or maybe we are just panicky parents but when he looks like one of those pictures you see in medical textbooks about now-extinct human diseases, you become kind of alarmed. Poor wee lad.

My grump is because Chickenpox can FRO.

Not really a grump as it's just one of those things, but my wee lad of 5 has Chickenpox. He's been off colour for about a month but in the last 4 days he has experienced a horrendous onslaught of itchy, fiery spots. They are also painful and some are around his eyelids and in his mouth. They actually look more like the case of shingles that my wife had a few years ago, they are that red and angry looking.

We are going up to the Hospital tonight for the 3rd time with him as this seems more severe than the virus should be. Or maybe we are just panicky parents but when he looks like one of those pictures you see in medical textbooks about now-extinct human diseases, you become kind of alarmed. Poor wee lad.

If you can get hold of some then pinetarsol in a warm bath really helped my two.

You do right to get it checked again. Sounds like the poor fella has had it quite a long time. Better safe than sorry!

Remember not to give him anything with aspirin or ibuprofen, it can make chicken pox much worse.

Could've been me.  I was on the very next Air Ethiopia flight to take-off from Addis.  The plane crashed 6 mins after take-off at 08.38.  My flight took off at 08.35.  Must've flown right over it.  157 dead.  What a tragedy.  I passed through security with those souls.  Sat with them at the next gate.  Stared at the screens with them.  Shared a table at the coffee shop with them.  I remember them.  It was only a few hours ago.  Nobody on our flight knew anything about it (including the crew) until our phones started ringing off the hook when we landed in Zimbabwe 8 hours later.  

Anyway, good luck to your daughter.  That's heroic work.  And life is short people!

post-18080-0-86123700-1552279786_thumb.jpg

Boiler won’t work, the pilot light will not light for love nor money. FFS!!!!!

Christ that’s a close call with the flight. Can’t imagine Ethiopia Airlines has a very good reputation though. A mate of mine works for Boeing, he says they won’t even deal with some of these tin pot operators in Africa for spares etc.

Boiler won’t work, the pilot light will not light for love nor money. FFS!!!!!

Christ that’s a close call with the flight. Can’t imagine Ethiopia Airlines has a very good reputation though. A mate of mine works for Boeing, he says they won’t even deal with some of these tin pot operators in Africa for spares etc.

Plane was 4 months old