The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Since the dawn of time women have been unfathomable creatures but we love them all the same. Been with mine ten years and still she baffles me sometimes.

Again though, venom towards you is just a symptom of a bigger issue: the biased and non transparent moderation here is annoying people. You are the one to stick your head up on various issues so you are the one in the firing line. You are the one seen to be causing trouble, whereas the sneaky tell tale twits do it quietly and get no comeback. Sad but that's how it is.

Indeed, but I'm still not sure it deserves quite the level of vitriol. I think some people need to have a long think about what they are saying. How does it reflect on them?

Indeed, but I'm still not sure it deserves quite the level of vitriol. I think some people need to have a long think about what they are saying. How does it reflect on them?

It's the same old issue that dogged text messaging  - it's hard to judge context sometimes. Or not in a lot of cases. Apply email to management rules - compose. Stop, Tea. Re-read. Then decide. That might help some.

It's the same old issue that dogged text messaging  - it's hard to judge context sometimes. Or not in a lot of cases. Apply email to management rules - compose. Stop, Tea. Re-read. Then decide. That might help some.

And that is why the 'edit' button is there.  There are times when I've re-read posts, decided that it was a bad idea and either edited the post or deleted it all together.  In fairness, any quick edits probably ought to be prefixed with 'EDIT' because if you do an edit quickly enough, the forum doesn't flag it.

Partly true - but if it's not up there in the first place then it has little chance of causing any issues at all. And we're all a little more mature/thoughful/better or whatever. Deffo after the fact if needed, but maybe a little thought beforehand would go a long way in restoring the peace and harmony that is...oh, wait   :-D

Partly true - but if it's not up there in the first place then it has little chance of causing any issues at all. And we're all a little more mature/thoughful/better or whatever. Deffo after the fact if needed, but maybe a little thought beforehand would go a long way in restoring the peace and harmony that is...oh, wait    :-D

No disagreement here...

It shows that not only are they deeply unhappy people already but it also shows that repression does not work and neither do people like being told how to think.

I would never prevent people from grumping about their relationships, but I do object to phrases like 'they're all like that,' and 'snakes with hips.' It's just not respectful. It also isn't reflective of the situation, nor helpful. Relationships struggle and fail for many reasons, and I don't think just spouting nonsense about women all being mad is either comforting or helpful.

But, I air my thoughts on such matters in public, whereas some people have got it into their heads that I go running to the mods every time I don't like something. That is not true. 

I'm fortunate enough to be married to a smart, talented, loyal and funny woman. Having kissed a few frogs along the journey, I finally got lucky.

When I read things like 'they're all like that,' and 'snakes with hips', I don't recognise those sentiments but I do believe that they're either tongue in cheek or have been learnt by the experience of the person saying them.

Quite often, those experiences are self inflicted and as a result of poor life choices when it comes to partners.

To the person saying it, they may seem based in fact but the person listening always has the choice whether to believe it's true... or not.

My experience is that you can gently and slowly, educate people into changing their point of view but applying labels and plain telling them they are wrong, rarely bears results and just delivers a 'shields up' response.

As an aside, when you sit close enough to the internet, it just becomes a collection of ones and zeroes, I personally would have very little concern about what ones and zeroes say about me.

Wasn't it Shakespeare who said with astonishing foresight for a 16th century playwright, 'The internet's a stage, and all the people players?'

I would never prevent people from grumping about their relationships, but I do object to phrases like 'they're all like that,' and 'snakes with hips.' It's just not respectful. It also isn't reflective of the situation, nor helpful. Relationships struggle and fail for many reasons, and I don't think just spouting nonsense about women all being mad is either comforting or helpful.

But, I air my thoughts on such matters in public, whereas some people have got it into their heads that I go running to the mods every time I don't like something. That is not true.

I think that some of the posts were meant in a humorous fashion and other were an outpouring of rage/sadness at the state of their relationships.

I view the 'all women being mad' as being humour, after all it's been said for probably centuries and I'm surer that my wife would feel the same. What she would be very unhappy about is someone being offended on her behalf. By the way I've been happily married* for about 30 years and we have two wonderful sons. * I've got to say this as otherwise I'd be made into mince(joke)

That's NOT politics . It references my stereotypes about people I have never met and know nothing about. Yes I mention who they might vote for, but......

Look if I hated them due to colour, religion, sexual orientation, that would allow you all to offer me advice about racism, homophia, or tedious bigotry, but hating someone due to their upbringing and ability to get on in life due to their place in the class system isn't politics.

It's life

Its me talking about life.

I deliberately didn't.mention the car That they might own.

That would be silly to judge a person's worth to society. On their transport choices.

X6 by the way.

It mentioned voting Conservative.  To be clear, I don't mind (because I think the rule is arse) but it's politics and banned on here.

James brown is singing ever louder. The two cheapest options locally is a MK4 golf 1.6 that's had an haircut to the tune of 75k 6 years ago and a MK1 scenic 2.0 automatic. My life is over!

Scenic it is then.

What a choice, like being punched in the left or right side of your face - you choose.

I tell you what. Reading what some people on here think about you isn't much fun. Jeepers there are some very bitter and twisted folk about. Who are very good at jumping to entirely the wrong conclusions. Not sure the 'new' forum was a good idea if it gives people like Hooli liberty to be rude as f*ck about others. Also very disappointed to see people I considered friends jumping into the public mauling. Cheers chaps. 

I agree - we've had our differences (one actually I think) which was a difference of opinion not personal and settled on here.  I have said as much in the other place.

What I don't understand is why we can't talk about the 2/3 things that are deemed unmentionable on here but have an absolute ban on personal attacks.  That works on other sites.  People who want personal fights/flame wars can fill their boots (off the board)

I preferred it when you were allowed to suggest I wore Brexit underpants because of something I posted and I said I don't (I really don't) instead of this sorry mess.

I tend to agree - on both those counts, but the issue we seem to have is that views we might not like aren't just being challenged they are being actively removed.

Mumsnet is great for this - every now and then someone will post something asking why all men are cheating *cunts interested in beer cars and other women and they will get challenged by some other posters saying it's wrong to generalise in that way.

Mumsnet just deletes any personal bile pretty much immediately, but leaves people to debate the issues.

I used to enjoy, yes really enjoy reading such a range of opinions about stuff other than just Marina gearboxes on here.

*I am not a big fan of this term, but it is used liberally on Mumsnet.

What I don't understand is why we can't talk about the 2/3 things that are deemed unmentionable on here but have an absolute ban on personal attacks.  That works on other sites.  People who want personal fights/flame wars can fill their boots (off the board)

That's not a bad shout. It's not the discussing of religion/politics that's the problem, it's the personal insults that are the problem. Just banning the topic is one solution, one I'm happy with, but firing up the banhammer for people who cannot stop themselves lobbing in personal attacks is certainly an option that makes sense.

James brown is singing ever louder. The two cheapest options locally is a MK4 golf 1.6 that's had an haircut to the tune of 75k 6 years ago and a MK1 scenic 2.0 automatic. My life is over!

Never driven a 2.0 auto but my mk1 turbo diesel was a brilliant car. I was really sad when it went.

You'll kill it anyway

Two things;

Whatever happened to Moto-SCAT?

And my dear old mother, who kept mislaying her house keys...

She had a key box installed on the outside of the building.

The other day she asked, 'Did I tell you the number of the new key box?'

'No? Your brother says I didn't tell him either...'

Silly old bat now knows where her spare keys are, just that no bugger can get to them.

Well, I'm grumpy.

At least 5k has gone out of my bank account. I say my bank account, it's a joint business bank account!

Why oh why did I go into business with someone ??? And why, when you give someone a chance they just rip you off??

That's me fucked for a new car and fucked for traveling to clients to.

I wouldn't mind of he'd pocketed the money, but he's gambled away the lot.

Bye profits.

Fuck me.

If its like the one I put up for my Mam there's a default setting, something like 0000, which you need to change.

If this hasn't been done this number will probably be on the instructions on the web, if there are any.

Oh no, she's changed it all right. She just didn't tell anyone or even write it down!

We don't really post on the forum much, there's just me, scary and tone in a whatsapp group..

attachicon.gif Screenshot_20190222-132119.png

I never knew that, I thought it had just vanished without trace.

Like a lot of things I don't do, I'm not a whatsapper.

Two things;

Whatever happened to Moto-SCAT?

And my dear old mother, who kept mislaying her house keys...

She had a key box installed on the outside of the building.

The other day she asked, 'Did I tell you the number of the new key box?'

'No? Your brother says I didn't tell him either...'

Silly old bat now knows where her spare keys are, just that no bugger can get to them.

Surely this should be achievable to a JAAAG driver, being a cad and a bounder?;)

https://youtu.be/PFMLD6SonZg