The grumpy thread

outlaw118

It's not who it's run by, it's how they are forced to implement the rules

But remember that those rules that they are enforcing are rules that were not agreed by the majority on here, but rules that were sprung upon the forum one day by the mods.

Please don't take this as attacking what you're saying (as I know I'm responding directly to your posts so may look like it). It just is that the no-politics rule is one especially that does not seem to work. Politics, like it or not, is a integral part of daily life that affects it in many ways - especially cars.

SCC's comment reminds me of when I was driving 7.5 tonners. Some bum nugget in a ytruck blocked the entrance to a factory in Wem off and when I asked him to move, he refused.

I managed to get past with my trolley through a side entrance, not before I'd backed up to his shit arsed Swedish light parade though. When I got back he asked me to move so I just told him I was on a tacho break and couldn't. It seemed like the longest 15 minutes of his life the way he paced up and down muttering to himself before revving the bollocks off his truck.

In the 80s there was a builders merchant right next to Kettering railway station , my neighbour was the manger , some nugget in a BMW had parked it so it was about 2ft across the gate so they couldn't get the truck out to do the deliveries , of course he was nowhere to be seen having got the 6am London train

They called the police who weren't interested apart from sending a warden down to ticket it which was no use so they got the fork truck out ,picked it up and put it on the path on the other side of the road between a tree and a lamp post with 2" either end

It was there for a few days with loads of parking tickets on it until one morning it was gone , the only sign it'd been there was two 6ft rubber marks where it looked like it'd been dragged out sideways .

Nobody parked over the gate again

The definition of a fall out seems to have changed too.

Threads are being locked now because "we can see where this is going to end up". That's wrong IMO.

Let it go to shit. Most people will back off, people who like the argument will argue and perhaps someone will flounce. It's only going to affect other parts of the forum if people let it. And that's the perfect time to bring out the warning/ban hammer.

I really am at a loss to understand the decisions made. Genuinely puzzled. It seems to be that there is a threshold for number of complaints after which a thread gets locked, a person banned, a subject taboo. And it seems that people know it and take advantage. I have some limited experience and do understand how difficult it can be. But this? No.

But remember that those rules that they are enforcing are rules that were not agreed by the majority on here, but rules that were sprung upon the forum one day by the mods.

Please don't take this as attacking what you're saying (as I know I'm responding directly to your posts so may look like it). It just is that the no-politics rule is one especially that does not seem to work. Politics, like it or not, is a integral part of daily life that affects it in many ways - especially cars.

Not taken as an attack, I think that's very constructive. I still don't blame the mods though, it was a sensible rule to try to enforce at the time, to try to get some stability on the forum.

It's just not suitable anymore, if it ever was.

So the interesting, informative Honda Swindon thread is locked on the basis that someone twice (Bradders59) stated that 'politics is banned' with no other contribution to a thread, ignores a reasoned response and it's locked? 

Feck me lads, everything is touched by politics in some way. It's a discussion about a car plant/plants - in the same way that a discussion on house prices is fucking related to fucking politics.

A woman near here has just been jailed for six months for driving while disqualified. She was stopped three days after previously being stopped, so clearly didn't give a shit.

This has been on the news today , some scumbag who's been banned 3 times previously was driving at 55 in a 20 , hit an 11 year old boy , killed him then legged it , because he pleaded guilty he's got 3.5 years off his sentence which should've been 10 years .

banned 3 times , probably driving on a ban with no insurance, now he's killed a child, 55 in a 20 , what normal person would do that, they say he'll be banned for 7 years when he gets out , they should shred his licence and sew his hands together.

https://www.itv.com/news/granada/2019-02-20/man-sentenced-to-prison-for-hit-and-run-which-killed-11-year-old-boy/

It's so far past farce it's ridiculous.*

It makes the stuff that's going on with the people who organise themselves into groups who think somewhat alike in order to offer that group as a attractive proposition to the majority of people who have little or no interest per se in the as yet un-mentioned subject of organising on a country-wide scale the running of things which may or may not be considered 'services' or governance of large areas and numbers of the aforementioned majority of people (with little or no interest) who would indicate a choice by a method of recording anonymously a preference to one of the people to carry on the organising and governance previously mentioned....look like a finely oiled machine.

Fred Karno's Circus the lot of 'em.

Sam

*the whingers, moaners, hidden agenda cunts

In the 80s there was a builders merchant right next to Kettering railway station , my neighbour was the manger , some nugget in a BMW had parked it so it was about 2ft across the gate so they couldn't get the truck out to do the deliveries , of course he was nowhere to be seen having got the 6am London train

They called the police who weren't interested apart from sending a warden down to ticket it which was no use so they got the fork truck out ,picked it up and put it on the path on the other side of the road between a tree and a lamp post with 2" either end

It was there for a few days with loads of parking tickets on it until one morning it was gone , the only sign it'd been there was two 6ft rubber marks where it looked like it'd been dragged out sideways .

Nobody parked over the gate again

We had a similar incident at work. New works manager noticed people parked on double yellows. Had a few 1 ton bags of lime placed all-around the offenders cars and a notice to invite them to a meeting with him at his time, which was a couple of hours after they clocked off.

Understand first question he ask was 'tell me why I shouldn't sack you now?'.

Anyone done any car stuff today? Radical I know.

I was gonna crack my nut off earlier and drain my stale fluid. It’s been a while (20 years). Then I remembered that, for some inexplicable reason, I would need a socket the size of Dundee just to do the job.

BLARG: ytho?

Why is the sump plug on a Mini TWENTY FOUR MM?? It looks like a fucking bath plug. Am I missing something? Is it so bits of the gearbox come out in the fluid?

Considered Pela but thought better of it.

Best order one.

I did. Not enough I suspect.

Ps - one of the drawbacks with any extraction system is it can leave contaminants on areas further up in the engine which would normally be in suspension and therefore more likely to be flushed out by a normal gravity-assisted oil change.

I'm grumpy that I've been made grumpy for no good reason.

24mm? pffff  - that's 15/16ths if I'm any judge.  

I was gonna crack my nut off earlier and drain my stale fluid. It’s been a while (20 years). Then I remembered that, for some inexplicable reason, I would need a socket the size of Dundee just to do the job.

Why is the sump plug on a Mini TWENTY FOUR MM?? It looks like a fucking bath plug. Am I missing something? Is it so bits of the gearbox come out in the fluid?

Best order one.

My understanding is that it was believed an alloy sump needed a larger plug to prevent stripping. Judging from the number of steel sumps, and mini sumps, I have seen with cross threaded or knackered plugs I think they were wrong.

You'll really need an imperial socket and spanner set for working on a Mini.  Otherwise you'll round everything off and your life will be misery!!

Halfords do good AF tools.  You'll only need the most basic set of their expert spanners, which last well.

For oddball stuff, get 2nd hand sockets on ebay.  Google the sizes for-

Steering wheel nut

Balljoint socket

Hub nuts.

If I get a minute, I'll put a list up!

Best order one.

This will be pretty much all you ever need for the majority of jobs on it or any other older British classic car you may buy in the future:

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-pro365-10-piece--drive-af-socket-set/

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/pro363-9-pce-38in-drive-af-socket-set/

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-pro367-8-pce-14-dr-deep-af-socket-set/

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cht142-9-pce-38in-dr-af-deep-socket-set/

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-pro361-9-piece-14-drive-af-socket-set/

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/pro21-9-pce-af-combination-wrench-set/

I have a Machine Mart VAT free voucher that will knock off 20% if you want to stock up. Voucher expires on the 26th Feb. My calculation is just under 62 quid with the VAT free voucher.

You'll really need an imperial socket and spanner set for working on a Mini.  Otherwise you'll round everything off and your life will be misery!!

Halfords do good AF tools.  You'll only need the most basic set of their expert spanners, which last well.

Steering wheel nut

Balljoint socket

Hub nuts.

I can't see on Halfords website anymore their Imperial sized spanners. :(

I have a set and they're incredibly useful!

Hence my links to Machine Mart stuff. I prefer Halfords tools if I can but the "PRO" Machine Mart stuff has been pretty decent for me when I've used them.

Steering wheel nut

Balljoint socket

Hub nuts.

Halford stuff is good. We have 24 toolboxes full of it.

I may or may not be on the back of the trade publication extolling the virtues.

I can ask if 'we' can get it at the same trade rate we got before...?

These are the other special sockets you may need in the future on the Mini:

1 1/2"   - Swivel Pin/Ball Joints
1 1/8'   - Drum Brake Hub Nut, Crank Pulley Bolt 
1 5/16'  - Disc Brake Hub Nut, Steering Wheel Boss, Flywheel Bolt 
https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/tools-equipment/hand-tools/socketry/single-sockets-af.html

1 1/2" you can get away with 38mm as its close enough. Infact I had to go 38mm to find any sort of modern Impact rated socket in that size.

I have a mixed metric / imperial socket set which goes up to about 15mm / 5/8".  Anything larger than that I find that the nearest metric equivalent does the job OK - my metric socket set goes up to 36mm.  It's rare I'll find a job that isn't enough for (hub nut on a Citroën Relay is the only example which springs to mind).

Throwing the baby out with the bathwater that. There's some great thread in there about household DIY, vacuum cleaners, electroinics, etc.

I am getting really fucking sick of the Professionally Offended getting illuviated man-cunts about stuff they could just fucking ignore.

Simply put, these perennially-whining tossers are ruining the forum. If it's got to the point where we can't even discuss an automotive factory closure (ffs!) because it might stray too close to the strictly forbidden subject of politics, then this place has run its course.

Mods, can you start naming & shaming these hand-wringing CUNTS so we can post them many, many Argos catalogues please? Ta muchly.

OK then, I have a suggestion.

Revoke the no politics, no religion, etc. rule - it doesn't work, and forces people into a deeply unrealistic minefield of self-policing with no strictly-defined borders... then we mention the naughty subject matter in the thread title, e.g. "CAUTION contains politics" so that these egregious perma-huffers don't get hot under their collars? You know, then they could just IGNORE THE FUCKING THREAD.

Then we could get back to dealing with stuff like we used to do, without having these pathetic, dripping-wet petals constantly sighing and tutting and demanding that we all conform to their peevish Victorian social standards.

Or maybe we could create an entirely new part of the forum for them, with nice primary-colour pictures of Red cars, and Blue cars, and with all the edges covered in strips of foam so they don't bang their little heads when having a tantrum? Oh, and there'll be strictly no naughty words in there, of course. They must be protected.

Seriously, though... two of the most important social issues in Britain today are B****t and the Shamima Begum citizenship debate.

And we're not allowed to have an opinion of either of them on the "Open forum", because they involve politics. And possibly religion, maybe even race. So what's better? To disagree about currrent issues, perhaps, or to be BANNED FROM EVEN DISCUSSING THEM?

For fuck's sake.