The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Airport valet parking.

I understand I'm not the tallest so you may have to move my seat back a few inches for your drive to and from the compound, but do you really need to change the height, seat back angle, interior mirror, both exterior mirrors, dash light intensity and retune the radio to drive the bloody thing 2 miles?

Frequent grump for me that. And I am still not prepared to shell out a grand for the seat memory option just because some inconsiderate twit decides to drive my car to Terminal 5 while virtually horibloodyzontal. I caught the guy once. As he got out the car, he flipped up the lever to push the seat all the way back so he could get out. Radio had been changed and a memory overwritten, the car in sport mode and fag ash on the carpet. At least a quarter of the fuel gone too. Zeroed trip meter (screwing up my mileage log system). Disgraceful. Not what you need after a 12 hour flight and the M25 to do at 8:30 in the morning...

The ECU in the spares car is no good as it's a multiplex facelift model and mine isn't. He had it on reader and was coming up with immobiliser fault but nothing to do with transponder and key,throttle malfunction and something else. Also had trouble keeping car connected to the reader or the reader wouldn't find car. Apparently points to ECU breakdown or wiring to ECU. I don't have lexia to plug into to delve deeper

No way the aa would spend enough time , have enough knowledge to diagnose that roadside .

Ecu failure very rare

Absolutely. Never come across an ECU failure on one of these and I’ve fixed/flogged dozens of them.

To me, that smells of an earthing issue.

Disconnect the battery then check as best you can any earth points, especially around the nsf corner and by the ECU, then look for the large multiplug(s) where the engine loom connects to the loom through the bulkhead...disconnect them and check for any furriness or discolouration on any of the pins.

Clean if necessary and reconnect...all this and much more should be done before condemning the ECU.

By and large, the roadside lads do a good job under the conditions they work in...I’ve been there myself for a good few years...but their time on the verge is limited and many are under pressure to simply get the trickier stuff lifted and move on to the next lock out or flat battery.

What I will say is most of them would rather not tell you they don’t know the issue and will therefore suggest suspected ECU failure or similar...

I have somewhere a hdi 90 ECU that is tuned to 120 - if that is any good to you by it's your for free.

Code is

0281001978-09 EDC15C2 2.0 HDI

Check your code and if it matches I will have a dig about.

Are you sure that’s a good idea....that’ll properly finish his clutch off ;-)

Fuck sake. Car won't start. Just keeps cranking as if no diesel getting through. No engine fault or immobiliser fault though. 2.0hdi 90 for anyone who may have ideas.

One thing that is not uncommon with these engines is the starter not spinning fast enough, they do this as they get older.

If that should be the case and you opt for a new replacement, stay well clear of the 'own brand' ones from ECP and the Balk ones from Mr Motor - both have a very poor MTTF.

Bosch , Valeo or LUK seem to be the ones to look for.

I have somewhere a hdi 90 ECU that is tuned to 120 - if that is any good to you by it's your for free.

Code is

0281001978-09 EDC15C2 2.0 HDI

Check your code and if it matches I will have a dig about.

I'll get it found out tomorrow. Thank you.

A battery reset got it started but I plan to clean all connections tomorrow. It's a 2001 on an X reg. Pre facelift non multiplex. I have noticed the brake lights staying on though on way home unless I lift the pedal up so another job is sorting the switch out too

Frequent grump for me that. And I am still not prepared to shell out a grand for the seat memory option just because some inconsiderate twit decides to drive my car to Terminal 5 while virtually horibloodyzontal. I caught the guy once. As he got out the car, he flipped up the lever to push the seat all the way back so he could get out. Radio had been changed and a memory overwritten, the car in sport mode and fag ash on the carpet. At least a quarter of the fuel gone too. Zeroed trip meter (screwing up my mileage log system). Disgraceful. Not what you need after a 12 hour flight and the M25 to do at 8:30 in the morning…

Photo of clocks with that days paper - mileage record and gauges in shot. Check it before you move and complain immediately…………

I've never used 'em - but 2 colleagues with company cars had speeding fines - one vehicle damaged and reports of one vehicle totalled in a major smash - all while supposedly in 'valet' parking.

I'm usually a positive outlook kind of person - but I just don't trust 'em. Can't shake it!

When I started at BAe Systems they only did commercial planes on that site, which was fine by me.

They later brought Military repair work in.

I decided that if I was asked to work Military I'd refuse.

Never happened, so all good in my head.

If it had happened would I have been listened to or sacked?

Am I an hypocrite, for thinking commercial was fine and military not, when it's all the same company?

Not in my book you aren't, the fact that you had that conversation in your head shows that.

When I started at BAe Systems they only did commercial planes on that site, which was fine by me.

They later brought Military repair work in.

I decided that if I was asked to work Military I'd refuse.

Never happened, so all good in my head.

If it had happened would I have been listened to or sacked?

Am I an hypocrite, for thinking commercial was fine and military not, when it's all the same company?

I used to work with someone who had previously worked for Bofors but quit when they wanted him to work on grenades filled with plastic balls - they didn't show up on x-rays.

Took a hell of a pay cut but was much happier working on mail-order catalogue artwork.

Instructions, now I may be a bit unusual for a bloke but I do tend to read instructions when I am putting something together I am unfamiliar with. So shower cubicle fitting day tomorrow and I attempt to get my head around it before hand and check all the bits are there. The instructions are in plain English, no crap translation, clear pictures. So why in the grump thread? Because they make no fucking sense whatsoever, they may be in plain English but the process they refer to is not clear in any way shape or form. So I go to the fallback of the parts diagram, yup you guessed it, utter bollocks. There must be fifty screws, but the instructions refer to no more than twenty. The top and bottom rails have different part numbers. Are they different? Of course not. Sorted it now but only sitting down with the parts and working it out. Still have loads of spare screws to find a home for......

I know exactly what you mean, and for what it's worth my decree Nisi was granted this morning so at least I don't have to listen to it any more.

In other news....I phoned my wife... she says she loves me...

I don't fucking believe it.

Drove about ten miles today and decided I HATE other people with a passion bordering on the psychopathic.   So many people driving like they own the road or they are the only ones using it. I was about 30 seconds from letting the next twat run into the Merc by the time I got home.

Also took Phoebe to the park for the first time in weeks, panicked the whole time she was out. She lay in a hedge and destroyed it, pulling and tugging on great branches etc, pulled so hard she made her mouth bleed. Poor old Chester just got ignored and had to amuse himself... which he did, as usual.

Unlikely df1d638bca7ec4cc9a889095bdc21043.jpg

I now want to own one of these just to smash the rear glass on someone’s head and pretend it was an accident.

I like how the warning sticker is there as some kind of disclaimer because they couldn’t be arsed to build a car that actually fits people in.

On this basis, my old Prelude should have had a picture like this to warn rear passengers what their feet should look like to have any hope of them not being accidentally amputated by the driver.

596c03ac0a147bc8e1eef3afb4503128.jpg

Nearly got taken out again this evening by a regular idiot in our area.

02 plate Focus diesel. Lowered (I honestly don't think it has springs fitted), Matt black *everything* including lights. Just before 10pm, came blasting down our road at about 50mph and totally ignored my having right of way, and had no lights on. Only reason I noticed the sod was the fact that you can hear the turbo whistling on that thing from about a quarter of a mile off.

Guy drives like an ass. Including charging through here at school kick out times.

All lights are excessively blacked - you can just about see the one working brake light in daylight.

Illegal and nearly unreadable plates - silver on black in wacky font.

Exhaust the size of the channel tunnel.

All windows (including windscreen) massively heavily tinted.

Front tyres have the wire showing they're so shot.

Hadn't had an MOT since 2014 when it failed spectacularly on welding needed and "unsatisfactory suspension modifications."

Not insured.

Not taxed.

We see it at least a few times a week in various locations.

Have reported it to the police and VOSA several times for antisocial behaviour (reverse donuts at 3am anyone?), and the obvious vehicle defects.

Damn thing is still here making a nuisance of itself...

Really makes me laugh is that one place I've seen it parked twice was the pay and display next to the police station...

I did actually stick my head in to reception on the last occasion in a "think you might be interested in this..." Sort of way, but was told in no uncertain terms that they were really busy and I'd need to call 111 to report it if I had a complaint to report.

The unofficial story I've heard through the grapevine is that the owner has "no fixed abode" and knows every loop hole in the system, making him near untouchable...and has had a history of making life a living hell for officers who have attempted to intervene...so they now ignore him.

Should point out, we moved in here in early 2014, and the car and owner have apparently been a blight on the area since well before we arrived.

*Sigh*

Also, insomnia sucks.

Nearly got taken out again this evening by a regular idiot in our area.

02 plate Focus diesel. Lowered (I honestly don't think it has springs fitted), Matt black *everything* including lights. Just before 10pm, came blasting down our road at about 50mph and totally ignored my having right of way, and had no lights on. Only reason I noticed the sod was the fact that you can hear the turbo whistling on that thing from about a quarter of a mile off.

Guy drives like an ass. Including charging through here at school kick out times.

All lights are excessively blacked - you can just about see the one working brake light in daylight.

Illegal and nearly unreadable plates - silver on black in wacky font.

Exhaust the size of the channel tunnel.

All windows (including windscreen) massively heavily tinted.

Front tyres have the wire showing they're so shot.

Hadn't had an MOT since 2014 when it failed spectacularly on welding needed and "unsatisfactory suspension modifications."

Not insured.

Not taxed.

We see it at least a few times a week in various locations.

Have reported it to the police and VOSA several times for antisocial behaviour (reverse donuts at 3am anyone?), and the obvious vehicle defects.

Damn thing is still here making a nuisance of itself...

Really makes me laugh is that one place I've seen it parked twice was the pay and display next to the police station...

I did actually stick my head in to reception on the last occasion in a "think you might be interested in this..." Sort of way, but was told in no uncertain terms that they were really busy and I'd need to call 111 to report it if I had a complaint to report.

The unofficial story I've heard through the grapevine is that the owner has "no fixed abode" and knows every loop hole in the system, making him near untouchable...and has had a history of making life a living hell for officers who have attempted to intervene...so they now ignore him.

Should point out, we moved in here in early 2014, and the car and owner have apparently been a blight on the area since well before we arrived.

*Sigh*

Also, insomnia sucks.

Surely kick up a stink with your local police chief and maybe social media? They can't ignore such blatant behaviour because it isn't easy for them to deal with?