The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Hooli's off in his alternative universe again... Do you also believe that smoking is good for you, and that the moon is made of cheese?

No just reality, as proven by science.

Lent sister my picasso last night as she was going to take daughter out today and her car is no more. Rang me up earlier to say car won't start. I've had no issues at all with it,she borrows it and it's dead! Had a look at it and it's pissing diesel out of the leak off pipe. I managed to get it started and back home. Oh joy!

Well whether it causes climate change or not, pumping loads of co2 into the atmosphere is not a sustainable long term plan. Because even if it is proven that carbon emissions are not causing climate change, we still have the thorny issue of the earth warming up changing the balance of ecosystems which doesn’t usually end well...

So. If it’s our fault or not we really need to start thinking whether we like Norfolk enough to try and defend it while we still can. And what sort of Olives we want to grow in scotland during the winter months

I don't really know enough about Climate Change to make any valuable contribution at all.

What I do know is that there is a certain irony about encouraging change and action, whilst also running a Ford Sierra on full choke all the time.

I'm staying quiet.

I've seen quotes claiming that's not earth according to the makers.

Yep it's not supposed to be "our" Earth as the geography/ physics are all wrong. There just isn't enough water ice at the poles to submerge everything till dry land becomes a myth - unless we crash land a load of icy comets in a failed asteroid redirect mission.

I bet someone was wetting themselves how many references they could get in though! The Exxon Valdez was renamed a couple of times after the spillage, so can't be the ship bearing its name in the movie etc

I've just bought a new car (details to follow on kollecshun) and one of the selling points was £30 tax.  However the Gubbermint seems to have decided that people were being too green and all these environmentally friendly cars were not profitable enough, so they scrapped the incentives for people to buy green cars and just turned VED into a tax on the rich.  If I were buying a post-2017 model I might as well have had a V8.

(providing I could find a cheap enough V8 to escape the 'luxury' tax of course)

Bloody tax credits, I owe them money and they are still paying me, rung them up to say stop paying and put it towards the repayment and they can't do that...

Setting up a direct debit to send it to the repayments section after it hits our account now.

Why is nothing simple?

They can't take all of it back as a repayment of an overpayment. If they did, they'd leave some families with nothing or next to nothing for the next year. System gets worse if it repeats year after year, but I'll give you a theoretical example:

Year one family gets 8000 WFTC.

Year two family expects to get 8400 WFTC but Tax Office say should get 3000 less as first year was wrong.

Now, if they say you should be on 5400 (8400-3000) they might be able to get by. But if you take back the 3000 overpayment, they are screwed big time (2400 for this year when had 8000 previous year). To avoid this they only reclaim say 400.

Year three arrives and same thing happens. They get say 5500 but they still owe 2600 in overpayments. Can't take 2600 off without leaving them with "not a lot". But you also can't take more than 500 off without making them worse off than the previous year. On top of this, they can't deduct overpayments from the award and collect repayments by direct debit.

They can't take all of it back as a repayment of an overpayment. If they did, they'd leave some families with nothing or next to nothing for the next year. System gets worse if it repeats year after year, but I'll give you a theoretical example:

Year two family expects to get 8400 WFTC but Tax Office say should get 3000 less as first year was wrong.

Now, if they say you should be on 5400 (8400-3000) they might be able to get by. But if you take back the 3000 overpayment, they are screwed big time (2400 for this year when had 8000 previous year). To avoid this they only reclaim say 400.

Year three arrives and same thing happens. They get say 5500 but they still owe 2600 in overpayments. Can't take 2600 off without leaving them with "not a lot". But you also can't take more than 500 off without making them worse off than the previous year. On top of this, they can't deduct overpayments from the award and collect repayments by direct debit.

A few years ago a mistake was made and I was over paid by 3.5k. I argued that the fault lay in the way they described something, and they argued that had I read the 36 page guide, I'd know what they meant.

I was allowed to pay back over 3 years. Which meant zero tax credits for 2 years and me paying them 65 quid a month for the last year.

Lent sister my picasso last night as she was going to take daughter out today and her car is no more. Rang me up earlier to say car won't start. I've had no issues at all with it,she borrows it and it's dead! Had a look at it and it's pissing diesel out of the leak off pipe. I managed to get it started and back home. Oh joy!

I drove the xantia home from work once with a broken leak off pipe. Had to go the proper bum shit back way as the m40 had been closed for many hours too... Every junction I nearly passed out with the smell, I imagine many bikers across the 5 villages I went through hated me for weeks afterwards! Must have wasted no end of fuel too!

Luckily the kit came the next day so I changed them all!

They mined my eldest daughter's bank account - without telling her that they were going to - for £1,600 and left her unable to pay her mortgage.

She had three kids at home, single mother (divorced)  no child support from her ex.

Hmm but it's me ringing them to ask them to do it which is rather different to your example. Am already on the max deduction of 50% apparently.

Democracy innit. The right to peaceful protest which makes us great regardless of age or political persuasion. Personally I am pleased the youth are having a whinge at last as they certainly aren’t writing any decent protest songs at the moment.

No doubt my journey home will be fucked again but then that’s the price we pay. If nothing else it gives the train company an excuse for shit service.

Wrong type of student / yellow vest on the line / Tommy Robinson overrun / Remainer failure. Pick one of those and C2C will shamelessly claim it tonight

Well whether it causes climate change or not, pumping loads of co2 into the atmosphere is not a sustainable long term plan. Because even if it is proven that carbon emissions are not causing climate change, we still have the thorny issue of the earth warming up changing the balance of ecosystems which doesn’t usually end well...

So. If it’s our fault or not we really need to start thinking whether we like Norfolk enough to try and defend it while we still can. And what sort of Olives we want to grow in scotland during the winter months

Exactly what I mean by real issues. I'd include oceans full of plastic, strip mining, real pollution from factories etc for starters.

Oh fuck yes, someone needs to come up with some way to clean the sea up as I like fish and wouldn’t mind them being around for a few more millennia.

Quint from Jaws and Steve Irwin May disagree

Some sort of plastic trawling ship that robotically cruises about sucking it all up. Of course this poses a risk to the fish so some clever engineering is required

Anyone done any... you know... car stuff today? Or, indeed, recently??

Only a bit today.   Got the camper van out, ran it up to temperature and did my usual few laps of the farm where it lives in the winter.  Had a prod underneath at a known bit of needed weldage and pleased to find the vactan/paintable bilt hamber is still doing its stuff.   Must get that done this  year though....

Swapped the Morrisesss over between lock ups and home and booked the MOT on the Cowley for next week.   Checked all levels, tyres and all that dull stuff.   

Pissed off that they are still gritting round here though - not so much as an early frost for about 6 days now and the bloody roads are still coated with brown car-rotting shit.   So couldn't blazz around the Forest in one of them which I had hoped to do - rode my bike to the nature reserve instead.

Anyone done any... you know... car stuff today? Or, indeed, recently??

Bought 3 tyres.

Went to screwfix and bought a new seal for the kitchen door.

Went to in laws and used my spare garage door cable, to repair one side of theirs which had snapped. It wasn't exactly the same design, so i had to use my bridging skills. All works.

Wrapped up MikeR's 59th birthday prize.

Looking forward to going round later.

Attempted to apologise to wife for her temper. She has gone to bed.

I Should have been looking at the front brakes and why they are sticking?