The grumpy thread

outlaw118

No snow here (but quite a few cars with the white stuff aplenty on their roofs) but it is freezing cold and blowing a gale. Just took Chester to the park and after a very short period even he wanted to come home - this is unheard of! Normally us dog walkers are a hardy breed but today there was not another soul (canine or human) to be seen.

I was so cold when I got home, I have just had dinner! This may be the first steps on the graceless fall into old age but it did warm me up.

I know it's been said before but why the fuck can't people that fix shit (builders etc) just do or don't do what you ask them instead of fannying about.

Want a new sink unit top and toilet seat for bathroom. Bloke who fitted it says yeah he'll do it. Excellent you've now only been silent for two months. Pointless asking him as he always says he forgot I'll just buy it and eventually get him to fit it.

Main one though is the Frontera osf Bush noise is getting worse. Took it to the garage I always use. 'I'm busy' he says. No shit all I want you to do is say yes you can do it and book it in.

No. He can do it but when, no idea. I can't book I'll just have to ring up (he's shit on the phone) or bring it down multiple times, er no I won't I'll get someone else thanks.

Why turn down a job and money?

I'm sure work think i'm lying or the most jinxed man.

Yesterday morning first drop, I'm early but work put me on an odd run. Their cleaning pipe had frozen and so they hadn't cleaned the tank, the guy tries to warm the pipe.... It shatters covering him in acid. ( He was fine, it's not skin dissolving toxic shit, it washes off) Nearly two hours later, I discover my pipes are a little frozen.

Let's get to the second drop. "You'll be a while" I asked if the tank was clean, it was. However there was no electricity. I asked to the entire building, the street??? No, just the room I needed. Ten minutes and two blokes with a laptop later its OK.

This morning, first drop and all goes well.... Sorta, I always pull on padlocks when I lock something. This fucker wasn't locking so I just gave it to the security guard. Not that exciting but there you go.

Today I get back to the yard and empty my wagon as it's a Friday and I don't need this filthy hoodie or my utensils.... I. switch tankers and my headlight blows, which I'm going to say was a one off.

I drive to Goole for a fill-up of diesel and costa if I can get parked (I can't) the anti syphon on my fuel tank, fucks me and I'm soaked in diesel. My spare, admittedly filthy hoodie in my car...

Drop 1 of the day, I tell them I'm here.... 20 odd minutes later I walk around the building, annoyed and stinking of diesel. (Febrezze didnt help) the guy was just back off his dinner and noone told him. I start the delivery and it's moving at 0.5 litres a second.(Usuallly 6 ish and tops out at 9) my pipes are empty, so I ask if his are frozen? "Nope"

... OK, I can't deliver 6000 litres at 0.5 I'll be here in 2035. I wait 5 minutes, he's rubbing the pipes like fucking Pocahontas trying to find something. We hear a bang as ice gets fed through his pump and away we go.

Drop 2 of the day, I decide to either kill myself or have a fancy pot noodle as I'm hungry. Which I can't, as my cutlery is in my fucking car. So I'm eating a Rocky caramel, a Twirl and a Viscount, swilled down with a Dr Pepper.

Treated the saph to a new 4 branch manifold, not only did it take 2 weeks for them to make, despite ordering with the correct part number it doesn't fit obviously it's a lhd one they knocked up even as it won't even get close to fitting due to it hitting the bulge in the gearbox where the starter bolts to, to top it off I can't even 're fit the old one as it crumbled when I removed it, to top it off the person at the manufacturers can't show the boss my pictures until monday.

Thought I'd use the Defender last week, I generally don't like using it a lot in winter as the salty roads aren't exactly good for the chassis.

Driving into Bury St Edmunds and it dies on me, engine light on, engine ticking over but it won't rev. I managed to get off the road as there quite a few irate drivers behind me. I switch it off, start it up again and it will rev but it's running like a bag of poo. I limp into town and it gradually improves the further I go. I stop at the retail outlet I was intending to visit and forget half the stuff I wanted due to being sick with worry that I may be spending the rest of the evening waiting for the AA.

It starts first time, sounds good so I risk a trip to the next retail outlet where I forget a bit less but the worry is still there. It starts and revs again so I head home with my arsehole twitching like a rabbits nose. It doesn't miss a beat all the way home, in fact it seems to run GR8.

Perusal of the internet yields nothing conclusive, even if I had a Nanocom. There are murmurs of throttle potentiometer issues or ECU issues, but nothing definite. 

Yesterdays promise of OMGSNOKAOS forced me to use it again, and it ran like a dream, same again today.

Nobody likes an engine fault, but an intermittent one sucks.

It starts and revs again so I head home with my arsehole twitching like a rabbits nose.

Liked for this outstanding phrase that I’ve never heard!

Good luck with the running issues, that’s the perfect car for the omgsnokaos, so it’s a ball ache to have it a bit lumpy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thought I'd use the Defender last week, I generally don't like using it a lot in winter as the salty roads aren't exactly good for the chassis.

Driving into Bury St Edmunds and it dies on me, engine light on, engine ticking over but it won't rev. I managed to get off the road as there quite a few irate drivers behind me. I switch it off, start it up again and it will rev but it's running like a bag of poo. I limp into town and it gradually improves the further I go. I stop at the retail outlet I was intending to visit and forget half the stuff I wanted due to being sick with worry that I may be spending the rest of the evening waiting for the AA.

It starts first time, sounds good so I risk a trip to the next retail outlet where I forget a bit less but the worry is still there. It starts and revs again so I head home with my arsehole twitching like a rabbits nose. It doesn't miss a beat all the way home, in fact it seems to run GR8.

Perusal of the internet yields nothing conclusive, even if I had a Nanocom. There are murmurs of throttle potentiometer issues or ECU issues, but nothing definite.

Yesterdays promise of OMGSNOKAOS forced me to use it again, and it ran like a dream, same again today.

There should be a stored code if the EML was on.

Indeed,

How is life in the village of the damned these days? I don't get over that way much now.

I'm on the newer bit so I don't see much of the village.  All I see is the Co-Op and that's usually quite enough.

Funny story*.  A couple of years ago we viewed a house in the old part of Aylesham.  It was ok, although it needed quite a lot of work doing.

The only snag was the fact there was scrap metal lying around on the path in front of the house, an illegal bonfire on the common land next to the house and a car with a smashed in back window around the corner.  I'm quite glad we didn't take that one...

I do like Sandwich, though.

Actual chuckle at not using a 4x4 in winter because it's bad for it. I see your logic but....

There should be a stored code if the EML was on.

That ^^

Air in the fuel? Check the filter is tight etc. I know older LRs can suffer porous pipes over the tank, if you can get to them a smear of silicon all along normal fixes* it.

Clive,I wish all the best and thoughts are with you. If you need anything then you know my number.

Thanks mate, you have your hands full as well though mate. Mum has pneumonia and very low blood pressure, it turns out she had a bad fall while out walking earlier in the week and we think that has done it. She is still very confused and is claiming she was putting flat packs up in the bedroom and then can’t remember anything after that. They are looking after her and hopefully she will be on a ward tonight or tomorrow. She is a tough old bird so will hopefully bounce back.

Fibreglass/resin kits. Do they ever really work right? I've never found the Isopon kits to be much good, won't stick to surfaces, resin won't properly cure.

Did a bit of a repair job this afternoon, OK, it's a bit cold and the resin was a bit old. This evening, had it hardened? Had it fuck. Can't chance it not curing properly so all has to come off, get cleaned up again and buy a new kit and start over tomorrow. Arse cheese.

Fibreglass/resin kits. Do they ever really work right? I've never found the Isopon kits to be much good, won't stick to surfaces, resin won't properly cure.

Did a bit of a repair job this afternoon, OK, it's a bit cold and the resin was a bit old. This evening, had it hardened? Had it fuck. Can't chance it not curing properly so all has to come off, get cleaned up again and buy a new kit and start over tomorrow. Arse cheese.

Isopon is shite but even decent quality resin will struggle to go off in these temperatures. The key is preparation, the surface needs to be something it can bond to and completely oil/ silicon free. The mould I used for our electric race cars had a quick spray with silicon release spray, a two second spray wiped round would ensure release of a part six foot by four. Once it bonds go something properly it’s like shit to a blanket. And get a decent material, something like a nice 2x2 twill, don’t bother with CSM (chopped strand mat). CSM is to quality repairs what Prince Harry is to number of genes shared with the royal family.

Thanks mate, you have your hands full as well though mate. Mum has pneumonia and very low blood pressure, it turns out she had a bad fall while out walking earlier in the week and we think that has done it. She is still very confused and is claiming she was putting flat packs up in the bedroom and then can’t remember anything after that. They are looking after her and hopefully she will be on a ward tonight or tomorrow. She is a tough old bird so will hopefully bounce back.

Is she still living Derby way or have you all evacuated the area due to Celanese?! All the best mate.

It's a chemical reaction that to cure properly requires some heat from the exotherm of the reaction, so no it's not going to work when it's cold, most kits have a minimum working temperature (usually 15°C) which you need to adhere to, if it's cold warm the resin and the hardener up above 20°C and it will work but you better work fast as the warmer it is the faster it goes off. The right amount of hardener is really really important and if the kit is really old then there is a good chance the accelerators/curing agents in the resin have lost the  will to live,  most resins only have an 18 month shelf life at most.

You could have got some heat on the part and it probably would have gone off if it hasn't flashed off to much styrene.

Polyester resin never really sticks to metal, you rely on a rough surface and a mechanical fixing to surface imperfections and make sure you have given the area a good clean with Acetone to increase the chance of a good bond, if a really good bond is important then use an epoxy.

Woven/Twill is good as long as it's not a complicated shape, but if you have compound curves then good CSM will do the job but you will need several layers to get a good job.

Having my sister phone up to say goodbye, she is going to end it - as she's got no reason to live and is slowly killing herself through drink anyway. She's an absolute mess, has had 5 kids taken off her, drinks herself to oblivion, hangs around with all the wrong people and has ruined her life and self.

If it were anyone else, I'd just say oh well, serves them right or something, but can't ignore it as she is my sister. I can't exactly do anything as I live at the opposite end of the country. All I could do was speak to the local constabulary and ask if they could do a welfare assessment, to see if she really is a danger to herself / others.

I wish she would pull herself out of the mess she is in, but she doesn't seem to want to. Our parents refuse to help her because they are Jehovah's Witnesses and we aren't. I believe our upbringing* is a major factor as well.

Not wanting advice, just had to rant somewhere.

*Read as borderline child abuse.

Feckin' puncture driving out of the stables. Dunno whether to blame quality of last remaining Chinese tyre on Borat, or horseshoe nail left behind by last farrier visit - didn't spot it in the dark...

Limped the car down to the pub, where the lights were bright enough for me to get the spare out and change the wheel in the slush.

Having my sister phone up to say goodbye, she is going to end it - as she's got no reason to live and is slowly killing herself through drink anyway. She's an absolute mess, has had 5 kids taken off her, drinks herself to oblivion, hangs around with all the wrong people and has ruined her life and self.....

If it's any consolation*, I had a client who did just that. Drank himself into the grave last year after retiring from a fairly high-powered career. When he died, his kitchen was found to be full of vodka bottles, many empty, some half-consumed.

As his Executor, I've discovered one or two little timebombs that he seems to have set up....

Coffee. 

Alarm went off at 4, shut my eyes and opened them and it was 5am! Gotta go! No time for coffee.

Get to station, Costa won't open until 5.30 on the dot, train arrives at 5.29... usual problem...

An hour into London, I'll get one at Kings Cross, train comes in to platform completely the other side of the station, platform 0... No time, get tube, get coffee at Holborn.

Get to Holborn, neros is shut, bollocks.

I'll have to get one at work...

Get to work, up to top floor, into canteen, switch on machine, open fridge... No milk!!!

I'll have to use another machine on another floor... Go down, switch on machine and:

post-24545-0-27261000-1549090974_thumb.jpg

COMMMMEEEE OOOOONNNNNN!!!!

Coffee.

Alarm went off at 4, shut my eyes and opened them and it was 5am! Gotta go! No time for coffee.

Get to station, Costa won't open until 5.30 on the dot, train arrives at 5.29... usual problem...

An hour into London, I'll get one at Kings Cross, train comes in to platform completely the other side of the station, platform 0... No time, get tube, get coffee at Holborn.

Get to Holborn, neros is shut, bollocks.

I'll have to get one at work...

Get to work, up to top floor, into canteen, switch on machine, open fridge... No milk!!!

I'll have to use another machine on another floor... Go down, switch on machine and:

IMG_20190202_065444720.jpg

COMMMMEEEE OOOOONNNNNN!!!!

You just need to get up earlier.