The grumpy thread

outlaw118

I feel like I'm going insane. I keep getting buyer's remorse about two weeks after I buy a car. Now it's the turn of the Buick. The blinders I had on when I bought it have fully worn off and now I keep seeing things that are wrong with it. I'm pretty sure running old cars is beginning to seriously effect my mental health and it's making me a dick to people close to me.

I don't know what to do. If I sell, I'll buy again, without a doubt. If I keep...will I ever be happy?

I don’t think you’re getting Buyer’s Remorse - but I think you’re addicted to the thrill of the chase. The search, the deal, the collection, the early days. My mate is the same with women.

You need to try and enjoy the things that longer term ownership can bring. Seeing the mileage creep up, putting things right, getting stuck in (and getting yourself into that cars story). It’ll feel different, but just as rewarding.

You don’t bond with a car in a couple of weeks, so of course it’s easy to sell and move on. Once you’ve done a good few road trips tho, been some places, made some memories - the (right) Car will stick.

Good luck.

Looks like we’re hovering over the old self destruct button again. I think it’s seasonal; not enough motoring going on + seasonal disorder x cold weather to the power of Christmas = mutiny.

It’s supposed to be the season of good will, not all having a fucking pop at each other.

I woulde we could settle such disputes as maye arise in true gentlemanly fashion, viz. a brace of pistols at dawne by the Marshes at Deptforde, with two trusty servants: one to holde the coates, and the othyr to digg a playce of Eternal Rest for the less speedy gentleman.

Untill such a common-sense approache is adoptyde, I fear we muste abyde with the Moderatours of this Forum.

I'm not ever going to buy a new car with my current situation.

I just feel like I'm stuck in a merry go round with older cars. Maybe I should just buy a 205 or AX and realise something made with components I can afford to replace is probably better for my mental state. I like being the weirdo who has slightly odder old stuff....but when I look at the Buick and see the windscreen has three chips,ABS light on, rust taking hold in some parts, central locking broken, scrapes down the side....

I'm not ever going to buy a new car with my current situation.

I just feel like I'm stuck in a merry go round with older cars. Maybe I should just buy a 205 or AX and realise something made with components I can afford to replace is probably better for my mental state. I like being the weirdo who has slightly odder old stuff....but when I look at the Buick and see the windscreen has three chips,ABS light on, rust taking hold in some parts, central locking broken, scrapes down the side....

Automotive magpies, each and every one of us..............

I agree with the suggestion of going on a road trip of sorts soon after collection, although my most recent purchase helped because it actually fulfilled a goal I had stipulated to myself; to own another LS400 with the full fat VVTi engine and 5spd auto.

It was delivered from somewhere west of Birmingham and the very day it was delivered I filled it up with fuel and set off back to Birmingham to collect my sister and her boyfriend from the airport. That journey, while not exactly of 'roadtrip' proportions, was enough to absolutely cement to me that achieving my goal was 100% worthwhile.

Since then, using the car as a daily and especially for work, where I'm asking it to navigate and negotiate deep rural roads that are completely out of the car's comfort zone, has helped me create huge affection for it. It's currently sitting on the drive with substantially more muck on it than the neighbour's Evoque and even more muck than the Ford Ranger across the street which the lady uses to go tend to her horses. This juxtaposition makes me happy, although I must clear the muck out from the arches as it's trying to bubble at the moment.

Maybe having just one vehicle, forcing you to use that all the time, rather than having a collection of vehicles which get rarely used, will help you form a bond with one quicker?

Ooooor you do just like the thrill of the chase, the deal, the collection, which is entirely understandable and would render all the suggestions above pointless. :-D

I guess to some extent my view of the current moderating style and particularly its new reach, is coloured by being a member here for a long time (I really have - you just haven't noticed me ;) )

The ethos of Autoshite has changed so much since I joined it as to become unrecognisable. Had I joined more recently, I may feel differently. Indeed, I am not sure I would join now.

At its heart are old cars, but the site has always been far more than that. It was once a refuge from the one-way-is best world where those who, like Corporal Jones, can’t quite march in step, could embrace their interests however esoteric and find someone else who shared their interest - or at least placed a value in it. Inevitably at times it was a cacophony.

It is different now and I find myself out of step with the way the forum is run. The current emphasis placed on suppressing anything conceivably construable as having some potential to offend at the expense of diversity has damaged the forum, turning it into something else and has extinguished its uniqueness.

In truth, no balance can ever please everyone. There is a matrix of offence in which some will find any form of discord or divergence from published rules unacceptable, through to those who believe they should be able to post anything at all, however offensive. The chosen point where the line is drawn is inevitably arbitrary.

Where that line is drawn has moved significantly on Autoshite. The list of ‘acceptable’ topics, allowed words and expressions - and even thought processes are rapidly dwindling. Autoshite was once anarchic, boisterous, rude, naughty, often very well written, occasionally vexing  – and mostly, fun.

That happy mess is dead. Its uniqueness is smothered. All irregularities are planed to uniform, corporate banality. It's just not fun anymore, at least not for me.

Yours disappointedly,

M. Rustbucket.

I don’t think you’re getting Buyer’s Remorse - but I think you’re addicted to the thrill of the chase. The search, the deal, the collection, the early days. My mate is the same with women.

You know, I don't think I'd ever made the connection before but I used to be this way with women too. At the risk of repeating myself, I don't regret it because I had some brilliant experiences (and some awful ones, mind you) but I couldn't have kept it up forever.

This fucking place, its not a school or a nursery, thank fuck you can still go to a pub and discuss shit and talk about women you'd like to shag, it's getting fucking tedious, like having your fucking granny as a baby sitter.

36f9426bef0c6057dd7987f7c9372c5b.jpg

How many complaints? Some transparency please.

I've only been on here for a few months so don't know what it used to be like but very much enjoy it as it is.

I wouldn't be a mod for the world but maybe there's something else influencing them?

One forum I'm on was threatened by the company that hosted it for posting a picture of a topless woman. 

I don't know the hosting arrangements for this site but given the present climate with 'MeToo' etc. etc. maybe the mods are trying to head off future problems before it gets 'snowflaked' out of existance?

That's my conspiracy theory anyway.

Sorry Bramz, it is an affliction some are born with, you could try a pcp cold turkey, but it doesn't work for long. If you do ever find something you like for more than a few weeks, you'll soon get bored with it. In some cases buyer's remorse has kicked in before I've even got things home. I currently have it with the Land Rover, I got rid of the one I liked to replace it with one that should suit me better, unfortunately I don't like it and so far, despite throwing thousands of pounds at it, don't think that I ever will. Still at least whoever buys it off me when I inevitably sell it at a loss will get a bargain, with all the horrible jobs done.

Can confirm that buying a brand new car to help with shite addiction is ineffective.

I've only been on here for a few months so don't know what it used to be like but very much enjoy it as it is.

I wouldn't be a mod for the world but maybe there's something else influencing them?

One forum I'm on was threatened by the company that hosted it for posting a picture of a topless woman. 

I don't know the hosting arrangements for this site but given the present climate with 'MeToo' etc. etc. maybe the mods are trying to head off future problems before it gets 'snowflaked' out of existance?

That's my conspiracy theory anyway.

There is, but we're not allowed to mention it. All members are equal but some are more equal then others & unfortunately they are one of the worst at trying to appear offended at everything.

I'm not eloquent. I'm not an expert writer. I'm not subtle.

What I do is written as I speak with not much thought.

I'd like to say I'm absolutely sick to fuck of what Autoshite is turning into. The well written post above says it all about how this place used to be.

Since the twin cunts of Breadvan and Dave fucked this place over nothing has been the same. We have over moderation at things that have to go in the category of 'if you don't like to don't read it'.

What annoys me the most though is never explaining the reasons for why things are done and it all come across as a 'protecting yourself from yourself' shit that just isn't needed. I'm not asking to know who's complaining about everything but I'd like to know how many it was and what they found so objectionable. What's disappointing is this place has always been so tolerant of everything and was a place where it was OK to' be different'.

I slowly posted less and less and eventually left a few months ago due to this kind of crap. I came back as I missed whatever it was that made here special but I'm struggling to think why now.

So what's next? When do we start with the no swearing and other pointless crap that's banned on places like piston heads? Turn the site into retro rides where everyone has to agree?

I don't know the answer but I know it's not what we have now.

Back on the subject of cars... Fucking Coil is failing on the Mondeo, limped it to work. Fortunately I’ve got a spare tucked away in the garage, for once being a hoarder has paid off.

Spares cars are epic. I don't think I've actually bought a rad or a set of pads for years. New looking set of pads on that scrap E36/E46?

Get 'em in the toolbox.

Went for a good 5 mile walk but I now have a blister on my heel the size of Croydon. #fuxakes

I feel like I'm going insane. I keep getting buyer's remorse about two weeks after I buy a car. Now it's the turn of the Buick. The blinders I had on when I bought it have fully worn off and now I keep seeing things that are wrong with it. I'm pretty sure running old cars is beginning to seriously effect my mental health and it's making me a dick to people close to me.

I don't know what to do. If I sell, I'll buy again, without a doubt. If I keep...will I ever be happy?

Same as me. The sense of relief when a car is sold and gone...............then we do it AGAIN!

TBF, that 323i was the one I regretted selling. Such an effortless old smoker. I've sort got the horn for that 518i. Must resist. I'm 51 for fucks sake, too old for this, surely.

Spares cars are epic. I don't think I've actually bought a rad or a set of pads for years. New looking set of pads on that scrap E36/E46?

Get 'em in the toolbox.

Went for a good 5 mile walk but I now have a blister on my heel the size of Croydon. #fuxakes

The spare coil I have is about 20 years old but it worked when I took it off a few months ago. If it sorts it then I’ll swat a new coil and leads on in the summer and I’ve got it for a spare then. Hopefully it’ll not go entirely on my way home from work...

I think the problem is that the current crop of mods are all liberal leftie hippy types. One even drives a 2CV ffs. I reckon we should let Rev_Bluejeans moderate the forum for a while, see if that improves matters.

I'd go with that, one of RBJ, Jazoli, Hooli or despairs and tires should have a go and try co-operating with the rest of the moderation team.

WCPGW?

No racism, no religion, no politics and no fannies. Tits at my discretion.

The rest is free, crack on. You're grown ups after all.

In a nutshell.

Some here would love to see the back of me. Namely those who would love to squeeze the marrow from life with their narrow minded 'I'm right and you're all wrong' views. No, I don't really want to see tits or fannies here. I kinda know what they look like anyway. But some of us are still non emasculated blokes who don't have Right On friends or Mrs to please. We can still look at a photo of 20 year old Jane Fonda because to straight Men, she's probably the most beautiful thing we've ever seen. Our heart still does that little skip when we see an amazing looking Lady crossing the road. We're odd like that and I'm fucked if I'm going to apologise for it. 

You don't need to be a racist sexist bigot but you can still be a regular bloke who laughs at rude jokes, takes the piss out of friends and use coarse language if you so choose. I'm so lucky to have a wide cross section of friends ranging from somewhat far right to full on Communists. Some don't have that luxury and thus struggle to see the world as it really is because they live in their little bubble and cannot understand the viewpoint of others.