The grumpy thread

outlaw118

I'm officially fucking fucked off to fuck now.

Walked down the road past the dealer that's meant to fixing my bike to find it parked outside with the keys in at gone 9pm!

Obviously I rode it back to my hotel so it's secure. But I'm seriously not impressed at all.

Now thinking of hiring a van to get it home and taking my breakdown company to court for the costs. They are obviously utterly incapable of organising getting it fixed!

It would have been interesting to have just left it there,as one wonders how they would have explained it's disappearance.In fact you could still phone them up in the morning to ask how the repairs are going on ,just to see what they come out with.

Sorry about the ruined holiday.I'm driving to Austria in 3 weeks.I hope for a better time than you've had.

Walked down the road past the dealer that's meant to fixing my bike to find it parked outside with the keys in at gone 9pm!

Obviously I rode it back to my hotel so it's secure. But I'm seriously not impressed at all.

Now thinking of hiring a van to get it home and taking my breakdown company to court for the costs. They are obviously utterly incapable of organising getting it fixed!

That used to be a common thing in countries where crime was followed by punishment and thief wasn't an accepted way of life.

A friend was telling me of his utter astonishment of walking passed a closed motorcycle shop one night whilst abroad and finding they left the stock outside and unchained every night.

Good job you were there!

That used to be a common thing in countries where crime was followed by punishment and thief wasn't an accepted way of life.

A friend was telling me of his utter astonishment of walking passed a closed motorcycle shop one night whilst abroad and finding they left the stock outside and unchained every night.

Good job you were there!

When I lived in the Netherlands in the late 90s I never had a house key. Why would you? Nothing ever happened in that part of the world (well apart from the Belgian murderer who was discovered in his aunts attic about a month after I returned, he had been there for months. But NOTHING happens in Hoeven). The shops were locked I presume but I never saw any shutters or the like and the small supermarket had a shit load of beer in it, It was a breath of fresh air after living in a big city, everyone looked out for each other and I was treated like a celebrity, many of the locals invited me round for meals - an evening with the English scientist was a talking point for them. Different world but a very nice one.

It would have been interesting to have just left it there,as one wonders how they would have explained it's disappearance.In fact you could still phone them up in the morning to ask how the repairs are going on ,just to see what they come out with.

Sorry about the ruined holiday.I'm driving to Austria in 3 weeks.I hope for a better time than you've had.

Yes indeed. "Hello, yes, It's me, I've just popped in to see how my bike is.  Would it be okay if I have a look around your workshop. Where's my bike? 

You've had it stolen ? Well that was stupid. Perhaps offer a reward to anyone that knows anything?"

Good job you were there!

All their other workshop bikes are in a huge metal cage that my bike was parked in front of...

Oddly enough I took a pic before moving it.947a2bbb4ac3a24f330a801bfeaa974c.jpg

House plumbing has sprung a leak, which reminded us that we've not replaced any of the seized stopcocks that were an issue last time we needed to turn the water off. Thankfully, the water meter has a valve, though that was a bit on the stubborn size. The big canister thingy that deals with pressure shocks (ie turning off the shower) has, er failed to cope with the pressure and was spraying water out with some force.

I noticed when the water levels were dropping that Welsh Water seemed to have dropped the pressure. It's now gone up, noticeably. The toilet cistern is notably struggling to shut off, the pipes are noisy and the shower is absolutely bloody amazing. Though now we have no water at all. Ugh. I think a pressure regulator may be in order.

That’s horrible news. Genuinely sorry, Eddy.

Any idea of timescale for getting it back?

I'm heartened that people are saying such things, thank you.

Timescale, well I'm off the road for the rest of the year I reckon.  Normal service to resume in early spring, assuming I'm up to it!

I'm heartened that people are saying such things, thank you.

Timescale, well I'm off the road for the rest of the year I reckon.  Normal service to resume in early spring, assuming I'm up to it!

Shit news Eddie , any private areas locally someone can drive you to for a bit of hooning when you get the urge ? when you are officially back on the road we'll all chip in for a days mustang hire for you...or a thai massage...your choice  :-D

My Grump today? Fuel consumption!

Finished running in the Sonett today (well, covered 500 miles now). Up to now I have been limiting revs to 5k, powerband starts at 4k so lots of gear changes. Can now start to take it to 6k, and eventually 7k for short bursts through the gears. Original engine was redlined at 5750 rpm, but has been heavily worked on (originally 42bhp, now 80bhp). Of course, more revs will mean more fuel.

850cc triple with triple carbs, 2 stroke. Has oil injection plus I am running 100:1 in the tank. Uses a fair bit of oil, half a gallon in 500 miles...

MPG whilst running in? Filled up today and it was 15 OMGMPG plus the oil.

Fun though!

Letter arrived today from DVLA asking for my licence.  It's going to be some time before I need the thing again...

This sucks Eddy. I really hope when the time comes for you to get it back, they and your doctor don't make the complete fuck up of giving it back that I've had with mine.

My Grump today? Fuel consumption!

Finished running in the Sonett today (well, covered 500 miles now). Up to now I have been limiting revs to 5k, powerband starts at 4k so lots of gear changes. Can now start to take it to 6k, and eventually 7k for short bursts through the gears. Original engine was redlined at 5750 rpm, but has been heavily worked on (originally 42bhp, now 80bhp). Of course, more revs will mean more fuel.

850cc triple with triple carbs, 2 stroke. Has oil injection plus I am running 100:1 in the tank. Uses a fair bit of oil, half a gallon in 500 miles...

MPG whilst running in? Filled up today and it was 15 OMGMPG plus the oil.

Fun though!

If it's been worked are the carbs jetted anything like and can it get anywhere near enough air?

House plumbing has sprung a leak, which reminded us that we've not replaced any of the seized stopcocks that were an issue last time we needed to turn the water off. Thankfully, the water meter has a valve, though that was a bit on the stubborn size. The big canister thingy that deals with pressure shocks (ie turning off the shower) has, er failed to cope with the pressure and was spraying water out with some force.

I noticed when the water levels were dropping that Welsh Water seemed to have dropped the pressure. It's now gone up, noticeably. The toilet cistern is notably struggling to shut off, the pipes are noisy and the shower is absolutely bloody amazing. Though now we have no water at all. Ugh. I think a pressure regulator may be in order.

Last place we had apparently got 10 bar from the mains.  The regulator brought it down to 2 bar.  My landlord used to check it very regularly...

The mains pipe from about 1/4 mile up the road was his responsibility, too.  Hence why I saw him (aged mid-70s) waist-deep in a farmer's field, fixing the main with his mate.

He had a Lancia Fulvia and a Prisma.  At least two Moto Guzzi bikes and assorted other things.  We shared a wall with his workshop and occasionally would hear small bike engines starting up.  He had a lot of bikes but I only ever saw a couple of them.

Brilliant landlord.  Fantastic bloke.

I know nothing about bikes and he knew that.  He invited me to a big bike show this time last year and I spent about an hour chatting to him and his mates, who were all into Moto Guzzis and they didn't care that I knew absolutely nothing.

Even used to dispose of discarded service bits for me.  Which was nice.  Getting rid of a diesel filter is a pain otherwise...

They had a cunning plan.... Leave it outside accidentally and have it stolen. Then claim off insurance to get a new bike for you, because they liked you.

Then along came Hooli and wrecked their whole plan. Shame on you  :?

They had a cunning plan.... Leave it outside accidentally and have it stolen. Then claim off insurance to get a new bike for you, because they liked you.

Then along came Hooli and wrecked their whole plan. Shame on you :?

lol.

Unbelievable.

Have you heard anything from them yet today?

I use Authy rather than Google Authenticator, it can back up your TFA tokens (all encrypted, like) but otherwise works identically.

Password book isn't too bad, it's certainly more secure than having only a handful of passwords that you reuse.

British Gas reported that after the Ashley Madison data leak, they had thousands of accounts logged into, fraudulently but using a working password. Someone had simply downloaded the email addresses and password combos and started trying them on every site they could think of - BG were simply the first to notice the spike. All the affected accounts used the same password on those two - and probably many more - sites.

You see this is why I find it so annoying when sites require you to register for seemingly no reason. I'm talking about iPlayer, All4, the dentist's (FFS) etc. Yet another password to either forget or get hacked.

Then along came Hooli and wrecked their whole plan. Shame on you :?

With the payout on a 120k 17 year old bike I'd be lucky to buy a replacement key!