The grumpy thread

outlaw118

A scythe can work well, but proper maintenance is an artform of straightening, flattening and honing the edge. Often. A blunt or improperly edged one is a nightmare.

We did one of those 3 day learn to scythe courses, and about a day was spent practising blade maintenance. Also, the farm we were camping on made the most amazing food, and the pub a mile down the road had a top self-brew.

It was probably one of the best weekends ever, cannot recommended highly enough. Like a festival, but singing 'one man went to mow' all day instead of listening to people complaining about shit bands and shit toilets.

edit: 'ere's a 1 day course from Steve. https://stevetomlincrafts.wordpress.com/2018/05/08/learn-to-scythe-in-manchester/

If anyone's into endangered craftsmanship, check out his video on laddermaking.

We did one of those 3 day learn to scythe courses, and about a day was spent practising blade maintenance. Also, the farm we were camping on made the most amazing food, and the pub a mile down the road had a top self-brew.

It was probably one of the best weekends ever, cannot recommended highly enough. Like a festival, but singing 'one man went to mow' all day instead of listening to people complaining about shit bands and shit toilets.

edit: 'ere's a 1 day course from Steve. https://stevetomlincrafts.wordpress.com/2018/05/08/learn-to-scythe-in-manchester/

If anyone's into endangered craftsmanship, check out his video on laddermaking.

Sounds like a good way to get people to pay you then cut your grass for you :-) 

My grump - Sort of had enough of my job.

End of academic year - already put timetables into place for next year with no discussion about what I want to do, redundancies are happening again, staff morale is through the floor, SMT is awful and principal is finally leaving after taking an outstanding college and making it so piss poor that ofsted cant actually believe it. Not a happy bunny. 

Grump is that I have to decide what to do - move to another college or find a university and become a bit more of a proper academic (that feels a bit grown up. 

Sounds like a good way to get people to pay you then cut your grass for you :-)

We were quite good by the end, but the first day left a mess that was probably not fixed 12 months later..

Job grumps are shit, teaching sounds like a pisser generally.

My grump: I'm on a train to London for a couple of conferences. Should have gone on Friday and taken the whole family, sod the ££$

Gardening.  Just say NO, kids.

This...... sooooo this.

Gf - we can have .......

Me - nope

Gf - how about .......

Me - nope

Gf - but ...... looks lovely (once a fugitive year maybe)

Me - nope...... ad infinitum

No matter how 'great' it'll look when it 'comes together' I'm the twat who'll be out there doing the back breaking shit..... so grass it'll be. Be happy I'll construct something at the end of the garden with a fire pit for some chill out evenings. Thx ta byeeeeeee

My H&S in the garden r shit. Hedge trimming today. Up a wobbly stepladder. Barefoot. Waving the trimmer around over my head and perilously close to the cable.

Did have goggles on though as hedge mainly hawthorn. Do I win five pounds ?

Please don't joke about wobbly ladder hedge cutting, you gave me flashbacks of my wobbly ladder incident, long and short I was cutting a big bush in the back garden the ladders were wobbling, they gave way I grabbed out to the bush to save myself and put my finger through the teeth of the trimmers, I was lucky as I felt it contact and whipped my hand away but still ended up down to the bone on my index finger safe to say I shit myself at the thought of losing my digits so counted myself lucky at a finger full of stitches

For the last 49 years or thereabouts I have been listening to the Organist Entertains on BBC Radio 2. Started with my Gran (retired church organist) when staying with her as a nipper then pretty much consistently listened every week for the last 45 years. Just listened to the last ever episode. I was even disappointed (didn't wan't the change) when the original presenter Robin Richmond left 38 years ago, but eventually got used to his replacement over time.

Surely 30 minutes a week (well about 23 minutes between news and weather) is not too much to ask of the BBC.

I r grump.

PS Listen to the Band with Frank Renton has also just closed down.

I'm in two minds about posting this, but fuck it.

A story on the BBC news app just popped up on my phone about BMW recalling hundreds of thousands of cars. Fault that causes the engine to cut out, and the car to lose all electrical power.

The fault, according to various news sources, has already 'led to one death'. How? A (black) BMW suffering from this fault was sitting at the side of a dual carriageway at 6:30am. The deceased apparently 'only had one second to react' to this stationary vehicle, swerved, lost control, and left the road.

Call me unreasonable, but if there's something stationary in the road, and you hit it, that's your own fault isn't it? I drive like a 17 year old yob taking out his pent-up sexual frustration on the world a lot of the time, but if I can't stop in the bit of road I can see, I slow down. And anyway, you can see the reflectors on a stationary car more than a second away.

Sad the blonke died obviously, but blaming it on a stationary car seems a bit of a stretch.

I don't understand expensive microwaves, they only need two things...

1 ) a timer

b ) a power setting

getting back to this earlier statement  , b can be ignored , as power is regulated by turning  on and off the ....

Cavity magnetron

this only runs at full power and has no inbetweenie settings ....  so setting repetitive multiple timer periods will do the same job

so if you set for 50% power over 5 mins , thats 2 1/2 mins at full power anyway !!!!

in other words just turn it on and nuke it ,  and if its still cold ... nuke it again

!!!

in other words just turn it on and nuke it , and if its still cold ... nuke it again

That's what I do! With ready meals, they get 1/2 the time on full, taken out and shaken/stirred them nuked some more! Stops pasta stuff that sticks out of the sauce going dry and hard

I'm in two minds about posting this, but fuck it.

A story on the BBC news app just popped up on my phone about BMW recalling hundreds of thousands of cars. Fault that causes the engine to cut out, and the car to lose all electrical power.

The fault, according to various news sources, has already 'led to one death'. How? A (black) BMW suffering from this fault was sitting at the side of a dual carriageway at 6:30am. The deceased apparently 'only had one second to react' to this stationary vehicle, swerved, lost control, and left the road.

Call me unreasonable, but if there's something stationary in the road, and you hit it, that's your own fault isn't it? I drive like a 17 year old yob taking out his pent-up sexual frustration on the world a lot of the time, but if I can't stop in the bit of road I can see, I slow down. And anyway, you can see the reflectors on a stationary car more than a second away.

Sad the blonke died obviously, but blaming it on a stationary car seems a bit of a stretch.

Without knowing the full story it's hard to get your head round but as a rule yes if you drive into a stationary vehicle then it's driving without due care & attention.

BUT that's not what you've said - he took evasive action and lost control, could have been diesel on the road, a massive pothole that ripped the suspension off, a bend and off camber road or any combination of other factors beyond the drivers control.

"led to the death" in this case would be correct as if the vehicle hadn't stopped then the death would not have occurred, blame for the dead is not indicated?

I kept seeing adverts for Wish, so I got bored and downloaded the app. This is their most popular items.

Butterfly knifes for a £1 and endless knuckle dusters. All of which are highly illegal.

It’s ok, they sell stab proof vests.

I'm sure a £1 knife is top* quality.

My grump? The lead singer of Frightened Rabbit has been reported missing. His last tweet was "I'm away now, thanks." and he has a known history of depression. Hell, one of the songs we wrote is titled Floating in the Forth.

:(

I kept seeing adverts for Wish, so I got bored and downloaded the app. This is their most popular items.

Butterfly knifes for a £1 and endless knuckle dusters. All of which are highly illegal.

It’s ok, they sell stab proof vests.

:shock: