The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Abnormal Jaques, who lives down the other end of the hamlet.

I think I mentioned his car history previously? He had a breadvan style Polo which he badly brush painted. He took it apart one day due to some problem....I went round to see if he needed help to find he had completely stripped the interior, even cutting the loom off flush with the bulkhead....yeah, uh...good luck with that Jaques. It got more and more dismantled until it suddenly disappeared one day, probably taken for scrap. 

He then bought a nearly new 125 bike of some kind...mintola with low mileage. He badly brush painted it and was always fucking with it, spending hours at a time revving it up at 2am etc. He would occasionally come round to my garage asking for an M8 nut or something like that...one time asked for instant gasket so I gave him an old tube nearly finished. He insisted on just taking a wee blob on the end of his finger, then inevitably came back a few minutes later because it wasnt enough. Eventually the bike got taken to bits and never saw the road again.

He then bought a ZX from the local chavs....it was alright, but only lasted him a couple of months before he dismantled it for some reason. Within a couple of weeks it was reduced to a completely bare shell, with piles of bits scattered round his drive at random. It sat like this for maybe six months until he eventually went at it with an angle grinder and cut it into a dozen pieces. Scrap man wont come for it because its not worth the trip so these bits have been lying for ages at the end of his drive and today he decided to get rid of them by having a bonfire....yeah he tried to burn the steel shell. He burned a load of the parts too, which were somewhat more flammable so he has successfully stank out the whole hamlet with noxious reek and now has a burnt out, cut up shell on his driveway. Brilliant Jaques, thanks for that.

The guy has serious mental health issues and apparently never takes his medicines....fuck knows what sort of care he needs, but he shouldnt be living alone. Im no weakling but even I dont like being alone with the guy especially when he starts off on the forest elves and naga and stuff he sees....

Sorry to hear it, at least a quick end like that sounds much better for everyone (especially him) than hanging on for ages.

Agreed, my grandad died of stomach cancer when I was 15 and it was shit , before the days of CT scanners I suppose 76-77 , they opened him up , went "fuck me" sewed him back up and he withered away in hospital over weeks until he was a skeleton

He worked his whole life in the boot and shoe industry , because of that and his age he didn't fight in WW2 so volunteered to go to London and help deal with the blitz , he wouldn't talk about what he saw , the only thing my dad told me was he came home on leave and my grandma refused to let him in the house because he was drunk

Turned out he wasn't drunk , seeing his family after what he'd witnessed in London caused him to collapse PTSD I suppose

Sorry for your loss, it's hard whatever age they are, 90 then out like a lightbulb is a good way to go if there is a good way

Perfect example of why towing laws get enforced and its not the 70's any more when you could tow whatever the fuck you wanted with a Viva.

The Gland Rover has a 2 ton limit, thats a sturdy trailer so probs a ton on its own and there is no way that van weighs under a ton.

Its also a classic example of why "wheels under" style trailers are dogshit.....nothing like having the centre of gravity of your load at near enough five feet off the ground...plus its a fukkin high-top van with the wind-grabbing surface area of a house.

Verdict...surprised it didnt happen sooner.

Also add in that a lot of people seem to believe shite spouted by Clarkson and others about putting your foot down and powering out of it....thats the correct theory if you are driving an Overfinch towing a trailer full of polystyrene where it has the power to suddenly yank it straight, but in an average vehicle towing a heavy trailer it just means you get to have your accident a little bit sooner.

I've towed 3.5t wheel under trailers for 20 years, from Warrington to all corners of the UK , never had a problem because I don't go over 60mph and I load it correctly , come the summer there'll be matchwood caravans littering the M5 as people rush to get there at 75mph and get a wobble on

I've towed at well over 60 without issues. It's down to loading, which most people totally ignore with their caravans.

I see cars being loaded daily outside work. They’re always reversed in so that the engine is not strung out over the axles. ( rear engined mclarens). Usually towed by a Nissan Nevara or a discovery.

Most caravans I see have a badly loaded towcar with all the weight in the boot so it doesn't handle at all & then they hang a badly loaded caravan on the back & wonder why it snakes.

Local traders in sign written vans who speed through the village centre are as good as shitting on their own doorstep

Yarp.

So, if anyone lives in Kent, please don't ever use Faversham Dry Cleaners because they've got a tit of a driver who overtook the funeral car and hearse on the way to my Grandma's funeral.  Which, by the way, came within a rizla of causing a head-on with the van coming the other way.

Most caravans I see have a badly loaded towcar with all the weight in the boot so it doesn't handle at all & then they hang a badly loaded caravan on the back & wonder why it snakes.

A few years ago I was a passenger in my friend’s Citroen SM driving down the m40 at an almost legal speed. The caravan in front started to snake and began to take the car with it. I think it was a big people Carrier but can’t be sure. My driver changed two lanes to be out of harms way ( first drive since a twenty year restoration) and by the time we were alongside it had calmed down and was slowing in a straight line. Close though.

I once had a wobbly moment towing a trailer loaded with series 2A lwb with a disco. Turned out the borrowed twin axle trailer had a not so slow puncture in two tyres. Made me very wary of tyre pressure on my trailers after that sphincter clenching experience.

I had both tyres on a caravan blow out at about 50mph once, it just made a lot of noise & went slowly as I dragged it into the layby that was usefully a few hundred yards ahead.

I worked out later the tyres were probably 15+ years old, I really should have checked first.

I think it's great when people moan about cyclists, especially all that nonsense about not paying road tax. The more bad driving and the more people have a go, the more people will drive to work instead of cycle then the queues are longer for the moaning fuckers who've had to wait a nano-second before overtaking some fat bloke trying to keep fit.

The only thing about the Lycra Clad Brigade that gets on my tits are those fucking annoying retina burning CREE LED headlights that they all insist on having now - are they illuminating the road ahead? No are they fuck - they are aimed straight at the oncoming traffic "So We Can Be Seen" and not run off the road by someone 15 feet away on the opposite side of the road who might for some unknown reason decide to swerve into the oncoming carriageway right up to the pavement.

And the only thing that annoys me more are the ones that pulse and flash like a fucking nightclub in Ibiza.

Horse riders, cyclists, farmers moving their shit about behind a tractor, people out for a walk down a country lane - none of these bother me at all  everyone is just trying to get somewhere and do something, life is too short to worry about arriving somewhere a few minutes later than planned - just those fucking wanky lights.

I once had a wobbly moment towing a trailer loaded with series 2A lwb with a disco. Turned out the borrowed twin axle trailer had a not so slow puncture in two tyres. Made me very wary of tyre pressure on my trailers after that sphincter clenching experience.

I watched a discovery towing a box trailer on the M6 on the hill between the M55 and M65 a couple of years ago , really busy M6 , trailer got a wiggle on and within 30 seconds she had 3 lanes of a whole motorway to herself for about 1/2 a mile as everybody backed off

I've never seen anything like it , snaking from side to side dragging the disco across 3 lanes and back , it was up on 2 wheels at one point but amazingly probably through luck more than judgement she got it back

As we all crawled past at 20mph I looked across and a very animated woman was having a go at the bloke in the passenger seat, probably along the lines of I'm never towing this fucking thing ever again

...the queues are longer for the moaning fuckers who've had to wait a nano-second before overtaking some fat bloke trying to keep fit.

MOPED and SMUG_GRIN are the only necessities in this scenario, I believe. FILTER LIKE A BASTARD Y'ALL :mrgreen:

Fair play to those of you who take to the Queen's highway on a push iron, I'm far too unfit for that.

The only thing about the Lycra Clad Brigade that gets on my tits are those fucking annoying retina burning CREE LED headlights that they all insist on having now - are they illuminating the road ahead? No are they fuck - they are aimed straight at the oncoming traffic "So We Can Be Seen" and not run off the road by someone 15 feet away on the opposite side of the road who might for some unknown reason decide to swerve into the oncoming carriageway right up to the pavement.

And the only thing that annoys me more are the ones that pulse and flash like a fucking nightclub in Ibiza.

Horse riders, cyclists, farmers moving their shit about behind a tractor, people out for a walk down a country lane - none of these bother me at all  everyone is just trying to get somewhere and do something, life is too short to worry about arriving somewhere a few minutes later than planned - just those fucking wanky lights.

LOLZ

Used properly, those lights are an absolute God send in the pitch black. 

LOLZ

Used properly, those lights are an absolute God send in the pitch black. 

It's the "Used Properly" that's the sticking point though.

Admit freely to not encountering that many cyclists and happily defer to them generally as they are clearly the more vulnerable party but do agree that some (not all) of the illumination they use can be irritating and even dangerous.

This afternoon I was supposed to be on a De Havilland Dash 8 with column change and propelled by propellers, the only acceptable propulsion for those flying Sherpas.

To my dismay they replaced it with one of those newfangled contraptions driven by witchcraft and had the actual chuzpe to call this an upgrade!

Consequently a suitably phrased protest note has been filed.

Once spat out in the German Hinterland, I was left to the antics of the German Chaotic Railways, which decided to dig up every railway line on weekends,

which made my 1 hour direct trip into three with two changes, so I missed the new Tatort episode. The last leg I did in a newfangled Mercedes taxi,

which was so bloody pleasant that it annoyed the living shit out of me.

I finally ended up in a Hilton, because booked in by company. I hate Hiltons. In addition to the exorbitant prices for substandard rooms, they charge extra

for every damn thing, including internet access. I'm surprised they don't charge me extra for taking a dump, honestly. They probably know bloody well

that I'd shit right into their fucking revolving glass door if they did. And that goddamn minibar is empty, too!

Tractor twats. I appreciate you don't like working on a Sunday evening, who does? But if you drive past several laybys even though there's a queue of traffic behind you, after more than four miles of pottering along at 30mph, don't be surprised if people get angry. Especially if you've got your fog light on, which makes it near-impossible to see whether it's safe to overtake. I really did get very angry...