The grumpy thread

outlaw118

I had the pleasure of hearing a former Dyson designer telling me how for a matter of pennys they could have changed the design of a part so it would last pretty much forever. However, by strategically paring away material it would last until it was just out of warranty and 99% of owners would then replace their whole vacuum cleaner.

Suffice to say, I'll not buy a Dyson.

Don't ask me what the cunt was designing when I met him, I can report that the same principles were in use, but not quite as well judged

Sounds about right

Then 8 years later someone like me will come along and replace said worn part for £cheap with a used part, or £stillquitecheap for a new part! Maybe sell in a full refurb for £60/70 at the same time. Then go out for a kebab!

You can get USBC docking stations that might suit your requirements for plugging loads of stuff in - they ain’t cheap but if the company is paying...

Which they don't want to do! I would have liked a TB2 dock so I don't have to pull out 6 cables everytime I go to a meeting and need my laptop, but it was turned down. Admittedly they're £200 - quite a lot of money for saving me probably a couple of minutes a week at best.

My shit day

I did a job today where I earned £50 driving, on the way back an artic in front of me hit what looked like a plastic lid off a cool box , launched it straight at me , it hit the windscreen smashing the wiper blade off, went left and took the passenger mirror off, luckily the windscreen survived with some plastic scuffs but no breakage

I've just priced a used mirror and wiper blade up on ebay £50

Fuck off

I managed to glue the housing back together  so all I need is the glass and the cover on the back , thought I better get one asap as i'm using the van, rang ford parts, glass £36.52+vat , cover £18.88+ vat :lol:

ordered the glass off ebay, came today, perfect fit £4.39 inc post , cover is £6.39 inc post

Sorry Halfords...What?!?

You don't sell any general purpose hoses any more, fuel line or old-style headlight bulbs...Yet you have paint on the shelf (it's in the current style packing so not ancient stock - and that rack is full!) for a Lada...

post-21985-0-94425300-1519417099_thumb.jpg

Pretty darn sure that there's much more of a market for general hoses and classics with pre-H4 headlights than there are beige Ladas left!

...This as someone who frequently finds themselves needing random hose bits on a Sunday when everywhere else is closed *and* as a Lada driver.  ...Albeit a red one.

Is it just me, or does something seem a bit wrong there?

Got some cheap but in date cookie dough the other day. Now 2 days out of date, which I'm normally not bothered about, I opened it to make them.

Smelled a bit funny. Cooked them. Still smelled funny. Straight out of the oven I just took the tray outside and chucked them in the garden :-(

Bugger got another pack...

A while back Mrs wack got some pork out of the freezer , cooked it then called me in with it sat on top of the cooker , does that smell ok to you

I think she needs a nose transplant, I've never smelt anything like it , I had to run out of the house with it retching as I went

To be fair, I didn't look at the rest for any glaring oddities...My eye was just drawn to Lada given that I've got one on my fleet I guess.

...That and they haven't been sold here through mainstream channels for 21 years...

Maybe there's a "shabby chic" funrniture web forum or something like that which has adopted Lada Cream as a standard use-this-for-everything-shade and sales are such that the beancounters at Halfords keep giving their blessing to ordering endless batches of the stuff.

Don't suppose they still carry that Renner orange my dad's R14 came in?

A while back Mrs wack got some pork out of the freezer , cooked it then called me in with it sat on top of the cooker , does that smell ok to you

I think she needs a nose transplant, I've never smelt anything like it , I had to run out of the house with it retching as I went

I've had to put a fancy candle on these cookies smelt so bad. I guess the fat in them went funny. Won't be buying anymore, ever :-)

Sorry Halfords...What?!?

You don't sell any general purpose hoses any more, fuel line or old-style headlight bulbs...Yet you have paint on the shelf (it's in the current style packing so not ancient stock - and that rack is full!) for a Lada...

attachicon.gifIMG_20180223_182754.jpg

Pretty darn sure that there's much more of a market for general hoses and classics with pre-H4 headlights than there are beige Ladas left!

...This as someone who frequently finds themselves needing random hose bits on a Sunday when everywhere else is closed *and* as a Lada driver.  ...Albeit a red one.

Is it just me, or does something seem a bit wrong there?

My uncle has a cream lada, that exact shade I think. I will let him know. It’s a bit crusty so could do with a bit of work, old V reg Iirc.

You need to pay serious money for good furniture these days - a £1500 DFS suite in 2018 funnily enough isn’t as good as a £1500 suite in 1990.....

£1500 in 1990 is aparrently £2400 today

£1500 in 1980 £4497

Check John Pye they regularly have ex-display sofas going to auction for not much at all

Train driving is what I do for a living. Not an easy job to get, but not much expected in terms of qualifications, certainly not a degree. Pays well and very secure (as long as you don't seriously fuck up).

Sometimes open to applications "off the street" and usually heavily oversubscribed.

Key qualities are an ability to concentrate over long periods and at all different times of day, reliability and (unsuprisingly) timekeeping. You have to learn a LOT of stuff about track safety, routes you'll be driving, what to do when the train has a FTP, dealing with signal failures etc. and are very rigorously tested on all of this - definitely a job where getting through the initial assessment/interview is only the start of actually securing the position.

Bear in mind that it's a job with a lot of unsociable hours, weekend and bank holiday working and possibly night shifts and you need to be able to concentrate and remember all your stuff at all those odd hours. Also a fair bit of monotony, but things that require you to snap to attention can happen just at the point where you're zoning out because of the repetitiveness of the job.

Sounds no different to lorry driving. You need your wits about you at those 4am starts.

Well it’s more than two now. The last car had four repairs I think- Renault Megane. All low speed scrapes. I’ll speak to my parents and his son next time I’m up.

His eyes are fine, it’s the rest of him that’s falling apart-he’s so deaf he wouldn’t hear if he drove over a crate of cornflakes. He also had a speeding ticket last year ( I think I’m the only one he told )- 34 in a 30 he said. Took the fine as he said he couldn’t drive to the course.

He did have a licence review last year and had to send the dvla a list of all medication. We were secretly hoping/ expecting them to withdraw it to save any arguments.

It's quite worrying who we're driving around with

Just read this on Facebook

CAR FOUND thanks to this page. Thank you everyone who helped. Elaine, thank you especially !!

My friends mother has dementia and has sadly forgotten where she parked her car. Its been two weeks now of trawling the streets of Kettering looking for it. If you've spotted a burgandy Ford Ka, x reg parked up in a residential street, please kindly let me know. Possibly within walking distance of Bath Road or around Pleasure Park area. Thank you in advance.

Surely when you get to that stage you shouldn't be driving.

But then I see plenty of so called 'normal' people who I swear forget what the controls of a car do every time they get in one.

The first 10 minutes of yesterdays driving adventure was interesting.

Went out to find a flat tire....reinflated valve not seating correctly..bit of fiddling...sorted......set off.

First set of lights on red...stop.

30 seconds later feel a bump from the back...rear screen still defrosting...guy behind jumps out of car comes up to window "sorry mate my foot slipped off the clutch".

Quick check fortunately no further damage.

Thinking to myself today can only get better lol

ARGH!

Motor factor websites which will flat out *not* let you browse stock without putting your vehicle details in.

Fine...At least when your thing comes up "vehicle not found" THEN let me actually search manually for the part I'm after.  Nope!

How about an "other vehicle" option in the drop down lists instead then?  No...too much to ask?

*muttergrumblemuttermutter*

Tried to install the replacement engine in the Corsa today without success. Most of the weight of the engine is at the back but it needs to be positioned leaning forward 30 degrees. My load leveller only moves left to right so it was useless.

Ive also had a dodgy forearm for about 2 weeks now after torquing the flywheel bolts whilst standing at an awkward angle due to limited space. My grip is almost totally gone, couldnae snap a wet fag. After today its completely fucked, really sore and could barely lift my lunch.

So I have closed the garage door, again, and I am off out with my wife and son to the park.

ARGH!

Motor factor websites which will flat out *not* let you browse stock without putting your vehicle details in.

Fine...At least when your thing comes up "vehicle not found" THEN let me actually search manually for the part I'm after.  Nope!

How about an "other vehicle" option in the drop down lists instead then?  No...too much to ask?

*muttergrumblemuttermutter*

I had a neat list of Reg Nos (culled from AutoTrader) of different models that had parts fitted = equivalent to fit my Savvy [ALWAYS.. No Parts Listed!]

TS

Surely when you get to that stage you shouldn't be driving.

But then I see plenty of so called 'normal' people who I swear forget what the controls of a car do every time they get in one.

It was a bit of a one off and the incident was the first real sign that her forgetfulness wasn't just normal old age. Her hubby had parked where he shouldn't, leaving her in the passenger seat while popping into a shop. Traffic warden came along and told her to move. She jumped in the driver seat and parked it in Home Bargains car park, then walked back to the shop. When he came out she couldn't remember where she'd parked. They spent a couple of hours walking round Forfar looking for it before phoning my wife. She's gone downhill a fair bit since then and FiL is heading that way too now. We've had to rescue her from Ninewells hospital after a passerby phoned saying they'd found her, lost in the car park. She didn't know why she was there or where Jim (FiL) was. Well, she thought they had been to a conference at the hospital. Turned out Jim had fallen in town, been taken there in an ambulance and was in a ward. She had only left his bedside half an hour before being found wandering in the car park. It's a horrible disease and their future is grim.

My MiL who has vascular dementia lost her Meriva in Forfar last year. My wife eventually found it after an extended search.

My grandma did that several times when her Alzheimer's started to get worse.  She'd drive into town (Oxford, when you could still park in the centre), forget she'd driven and get the bus home, then grandad would get home from work and have to spend the evening searching for her car.  She did it about three times before he decided enough was enough and nicked the rotor arm out of her car.